Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Favourite Star Wars film
meegat39
JustBrad wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Watched Empire last night. Oh boy, Leiah is going to regret those big kisses on Luke's lips when she finds out he's her brother!!

More proof that George Lucas was making it up as he went along.

Indeed!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
And that snog is so much worse than Blake & Inga. Kissing cousins isn't incest (although inadvisable) - but kissing siblings most certainly is!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Tarrant On TV
trevor travis wrote:

Now found a date. "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added at the top of the scroll for a theatrical re-release on April 10th, 1981.

The film was still referred to as Star Wars at that point.

Yeah, I was gonna say... it's a common misconception that Star Wars was changed to A New Hope to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace. It was, as your research shows, done quite early on, though indeed, if you bought a copy of Star Wars on video in the '80s or '90s it will still have been called simply Star Wars. It took quite a while for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope to become widely recognised as the movie's title.

I remember myself and a friend of mine at school would often refer to the film as A New Hope, considering ourselves to be much more serious fans than those who simply called it Star Wars. We were clearly ahead of our time. Grin

It's difficult to pick a favourite movie. I enjoy all seven for different reasons, but The Empire Strikes Back is definitely the more mature and dramatic of the series. One thing I liked about it was that it didn't feature any kind of super massive weapon that can destroy planets, so was a little easier to take seriously.

Also, TESB actually gave us some character complexity. Darth Vader was just a cookie cutter villain in the previous movie, but when he's revealed to be Luke's father, suddenly this adds a layer of complexity to proceedings. Also, Lando Calrissian comes across as a somewhat morally ambiguous character. Return Of The Jedi didn't follow this theme at all though and he becomes just another good guy. Yoda is also a great character who, in contrast to Obi Wan, is a much tougher teacher who really knocks Luke down a peg or two.

trevor travis
Tarrant On TV wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Now found a date. "Episode IV: A New Hope" was added at the top of the scroll for a theatrical re-release on April 10th, 1981.

The film was still referred to as Star Wars at that point.

Yeah, I was gonna say... it's a common misconception that Star Wars was changed to A New Hope to coincide with the release of The Phantom Menace. It was, as your research shows, done quite early on, though indeed, if you bought a copy of Star Wars on video in the '80s or '90s it will still have been called simply Star Wars. It took quite a while for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope to become widely recognised as the movie's title.

I remember myself and a friend of mine at school would often refer to the film as A New Hope, considering ourselves to be much more serious fans than those who simply called it Star Wars. We were clearly ahead of our time. Grin

TOTV, you misunderstand me.

The name at the top of the scroll was added in 1981… just and only that. The film was still called Star Wars at that point. When myself and my friends saw the TV Premiere in 1982, it was called Star Wars. If you bought the video, it was called Star Wars. In any film directory, it was called Star Wars. If you bought the overpriced underpants, they said Star Wars. When The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi were released, again look at the film posters. No mention of Episode V or VI – those simply were at the top of the scroll.

When The Phantom Menace was released in 1999, George Lucas then insisted that the first three films should be referred as to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, etc.

But IMO you can’t change the name of a film retrospectively. Whatever it was called at its time of release, is its name. If someone tells me tomorrow that the producer of the 1980 film Flash Gordon has said it should actually be called Ming’s Baldy Head: Episode XII, then sorry it’s still Flash Gordon to me.

In fact, did Gary Kurtz (producer of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back) ever authorise any change of name in the first place? I doubt it, since he left the franchise before Return Of The Jedi. Who has the right to retrospectively change the name of the films that he produced?

To me, the film always will be Star Wars. Although like many, I was intrigued by that top caption… “whaddaya mean, there’s three films to come before this?” I looked forward to the prequels for years. And then look what we got... oh dear Grin

Tarrant On TV
trevor travis wrote:

But IMO you can’t change the name of a film retrospectively. Whatever it was called at its time of release, is its name. If someone tells me tomorrow that the producer of the 1980 film Flash Gordon has said it should actually be called Ming’s Baldy Head: Episode XII, then sorry it’s still Flash Gordon to me.

Films and TV shows have had their names changed for a number of reasons.
The Avengers was changed to Avengers Assemble for its UK release so as to avoid confusion with the unrelated TV series.
Top Cat was called Boss Cat in the UK for some legal reason or other.
Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone was called Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone in the US.
Star Trek is retrospectively referred to as Star Trek: The Original Series as is Battlestar Galactica.
The X Bomber was called Star Fleet when broadcast outside of Japan.

trevor travis wrote:In fact, did Gary Kurtz (producer of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back) ever authorise any change of name in the first place? I doubt it, since he left the franchise before Return Of The Jedi. Who has the right to retrospectively change the name of the films that he produced?

George Lucas, seeing as he owns the rights. Producers do not by default own the rights to films they produce.

Contrary to popular belief, the basic back story for the prequels existed as far back as 1977 at least. You can read a lot of it in the prologue of the novelisation of Star Wars which was released to coincide with the movie.

trevor travis
Tarrant On TV wrote:
Films and TV shows have had their names changed for a number of reasons.
The Avengers was changed to Avengers Assemble for its UK release so as to avoid confusion with the unrelated TV series.
Top Cat was called Boss Cat in the UK for some legal reason or other.
Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone was called Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone in the US.
Star Trek is retrospectively referred to as Star Trek: The Original Series as is Battlestar Galactica.
The X Bomber was called Star Fleet when broadcast outside of Japan.

Yes, all changed at time of release for different markets in different countries.

Well apart from Star Trek, which nearly everyone still calls Star Trek in any case Wink

The point is that you can't change the title of a film 22 years after it was released. Star Wars is still Star Wars.
Edited by trevor travis on 11 January 2016 15:33:46

Spaceship Dispatcher
Very few people seem to be talking about it, but I recently came across a spin-off/origin story film in the Disney Star Wars franchise that's in production and is entitled Rogue One; the lead is Felicity Jones, starring alongside Tom Hanks in major Dan Brown movie Inferno later this year and the titular Unicorn in the brilliant Doctor Who episode The Unicorn and the Wasp. Sounds interesting from what little is known about it so far...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
Top Cat was changed to Boss Cat because the BBC didn't want to be seen advertising a very popular brand of cat Food. (Even on Points of View, it was mentioned that the singers were singing Top Cat...so why was the Station Annoucer calling it Boss Cat?) I've now got the DVDs and the Beeb even had the TOP CAT title card changed to Boss Cat back then! Mind you, this was back in the day when a packet of cornflakes or any sort of well known packaging had black tape put over it.
And when I saw that film back on Saturday 31st December 1977 it was definitely called STAR WARS...and I still didn't like it!Angry
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Very few people seem to be talking about it, but I recently came across a spin-off/origin story film in the Disney Star Wars franchise that's in production and is entitled Rogue One; the lead is Felicity Jones, starring alongside Tom Hanks in major Dan Brown movie Inferno later this year and the titular Unicorn in the brilliant Doctor Who episode The Unicorn and the Wasp. Sounds interesting from what little is known about it so far...

Is Rey in it?

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Very few people seem to be talking about it, but I recently came across a spin-off/origin story film in the Disney Star Wars franchise that's in production and is entitled Rogue One...

Is Rey in it?

No, it's part of a parallel film series set in the Star Wars Universe but not directly crossing over apparently. Or at least, that's how it reads at the moment. This one seems to be set before the original trilogy, in the same fictional period (but mercifully not linked with) as the prequels.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Anniew
Whatever it was called I quite enjoyed Star Wars, liked the Empire Strikes Back a lot more, was ok with Return of the Jedi but haven't had enough interest in the franchise to watch any other episodes. It's quite a formulaic series in my opinion and like Sue, I much preferred the dystopian vision of Blakes 7 - then and now. That said, the moment when the space ship roared over our heads at the beginning was a bit special. I just wasn't that taken by the robots or Yoda. Liked the wookey though - the American Og I guess! I was amused by pictures of the latest little round robot which to me, was based heavily on Dr Who chumleys.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

President Solvite
The original Star Wars...

Although Empire is a great sequel as a stand alone product its inferior to its predecessor

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
markab2
Star Wars. Not all this episode 4 a new hope nonsense. Star wars through and through.

sweevo
Return of the Jedi - the first Special Edition from 1997, as it has the perfect balance of new and old (I prefer the "Victory Celebration" piece John Williams composed for this sequence instead of the original "Yub Nub" song from the first edition, which is a bit "WTF?" and out of place, and it still has Sebastian Shaw as the ghostly apparition of the now-redeemed Anakin Skywalker).

Coser
Empire Strikes Back.

Yoda training Luke.
Battle for Hoth
"I am your Father!"
and Michael Sheard.

What more could you ask for?
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

trevor travis
Coser wrote:

Empire Strikes Back.

Yoda training Luke.
Battle for Hoth
"I am your Father!"
and Michael Sheard.

Ben training Luke > Yoda training Luke
Attack on Death Star > Battle for Hoth
Peter Cushing > Michael Sheard

I'll give you the other one, but it's still gotta be Star Wars > Empire Strikes Back.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Coser wrote:

Empire Strikes Back.

Yoda training Luke.
Battle for Hoth
"I am your Father!"
and Michael Sheard.

Carrie Fisher in a bikini! Ewoks! More Ewoks!!

Still gotta be Return of the Jedi Shock

trevor travis

Strategically timed post while Brad is on a plane Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Strategically timed post while Brad is on a plane Grin

The street sign is being flown further away from the UK as we type... Wink

trevor travis
The street sign is being flown further away from the UK as we type... Wink

Indeed. I escaped lightly, considering my gifts for B & P Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
9,148,258 unique visits since 8th January 2014