Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Cally: how responsible?
Spaceship Dispatcher
Inspired by another comment in Blake's 7: A Critical Guide, here is another poser that's not only quite interesting but also something that I have never really seen debated before...

This is the scenario on the Liberator at the start of Time Squad; whether Blake is a freedom fighter or terrorist or whatever he is, he is the only one. The others might choose to agree or disagree with what he says and be willing or otherwise to join him on missions. But none of the other crew members are actually motivated themselves to attack the Federation by force so, with Blake as a lone voice in pushing for a rebellion, how long is it actually going to last before a change of tactics (we don't see much armed rebellion under Avon's command in series three) is demanded?

Then he meets Cally; she's a fellow freedom fighter or terrorist or whatever they may be, but the important thing is that there's now two of them. The continuation of the 'fight' is now pretty much assured. So is the death of Gan and the Galactic War, for which the rebellion is indirectly responsible for pushing the previously totally loyal Travis to get involved with the Andromedans...

So while none of this is anything that Cally had any particular control over, how much does the fact that her presence alone was the catalyst for the tragedies we see make her indirectly if innocently responsible?
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
Blake is the leader in S1-S2, just ask him, he'll tell you. He bears responsibility. If anything, near the end of S2, Cally tries to reign him in.

CALLY Are you sure that what we're going to do is justified?
BLAKE It has to be. Don't you see, Cally? If we stop now then all we have done is senseless killing and destruction. Without purpose, without reason. We have to win. It's the only way I can be sure that I was right.
CALLY That you were right?

Cally's presence does change the crew dynamic. Early on we were all ready to ship Jenna / Blake. Sally and Gareth even asked Chris Boucher about it. But Cally changes things.

AVON Where's Blake?
JENNA I have no idea. Why ask me?
AVON Because I thought you might know.
JENNA Well, I don't.
CALLY He's gone to have a rest.
AVON I see. Orac has just come up with the computation and attack strategy that he asked for. [Holds up a data card]
GAN What attack strategy?
AVON Exactly. Another of Blake's little schemes he hasn't thought fit to tell us about. You are not going to believe the target he has in mind.
CALLY The Federation Weapons Development Base?

Thus Cally is in the loop while Jenna and Avon are not. And Sally plays it as though Jenna is none to happy about it.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Brad, I agree with all your points above about leadership and the crew's dynamic; the question raised in the OP is more s philosophical one about what events occurred after Time Squad that might not have happened if the rebellion had taken a less aggressive path. Was meeting a fellow rebel, and a lone survivor of a Federation massacre as he was, the enabling factor that gave Blake the impetus the press on? Without meeting Cally, would Avon and Jenna have wielded more control over the taking of risks as the episodes progressed? Taking in someone prepared to die for the revolution must have strengthened his convictions.

You could put the question this way: "what influence did meeting Cally have on Blake and thus upon future events?"

(rather than "what effect did Cally personally have on the crew")
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

JustBrad
Was meeting a fellow rebel, and a lone survivor of a Federation massacre as he was, the enabling factor that gave Blake the impetus the press on?

No. Blake needed no external impetus, no enablement. He was motivated and enabled from the start. To suggest Blake needed any encouragement, moral support, or guidance is to underestimate Blake's resolve. Blake was driven from the very start to the very end. He was absolutely single minded. The last exchange of TWB tells you all you need to know.

GUARD Take a long look. That's the last you'll ever see of it. (Earth)
BLAKE No, I'm coming back.

As Decartes said. Cogito Ergo Sum, Blake may well have said, Resisto Ergo Sum

Blake would have resisted the Federation with all his being even if he were alone on a run down interplanetary shuttle. What effect did Cally have on Blake? The same effect as the rest of the crew had on Blake: "None Whatsoever. "

trevor travis
Cally is a follower not a leader.

She might make the odd suggestion to Blake, but basically he would have got there in the end.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Was meeting a fellow rebel, and a lone survivor of a Federation massacre as he was, the enabling factor that gave Blake the impetus the press on?

No. Blake needed no external impetus, no enablement. He was motivated and enabled from the start. To suggest Blake needed any encouragement, moral support, or guidance is to underestimate Blake's resolve. Blake was driven from the very start to the very end.
Blake would have resisted the Federation with all his being even if he were alone on a run down interplanetary shuttle. What effect did Cally have on Blake? The same effect as the rest of the crew had on Blake: "None Whatsoever. "

I agree with all the above. As for the crew dynamic - Jenna believed in Blake (or wanted to - 'perhaps' he's an honest man) and Avon would always challenge him. Gan and Vila stuck with him because, for different reasons, they were no good on their own.

Were there any occasions when Cally and Blake wanted to do something rebellious and the others were against it?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
I too agree with all of you TT, Brad and Travisina - but you're all off topic!

trevor travis
Surely Blake is already attacking Saurian Major before he meets Cally... so what changes?

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Surely Blake is already attacking Saurian Major before he meets Cally... so what changes?

My speculation about how Cally's presence on the planet is key to the story arc of the rebellion through s1/2 and Blake's own character development are outlined in previous posts. In my opinion it changes Blake's position as the head of an armed rebellion against the Federation in that he's no longer alone on the ship as the only person with personal motivation to pursue the cause. Up until that point he had (grudging) followers, but now he has a sharer of his beliefs; not only that, but a fellow survivor of a Federation massacre and someone already committed to the cause to the point of death having been prepared to die in her attack. This is a huge boost to his confidence, resolve and leadership credentials; whatever Cally says or does beyond this, the watershed moment and a turning point has been overcome for Blake.

JustBrad
This is a huge boost to his confidence, resolve and leadership credentials;

I see your point, but my counter point is that Blake was not influenced by Cally or anyone else. He would have fought the Federation with a garbage skow full of Decimas if that was what he had available. He needed no boost. He was already Overconfident, full of resolve, and leader by virtue of his single minded vision. His actions on GP bear witness. Sans Cally or any dedicated rebels he was building an army of misfit outcasts. The one difference was that he had lost the ability to trust, so maybe in that regard, Cally had an effect on him. A trusting leader is a more effective leader.

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

I see your point, but my counter point is that Blake was not influenced by Cally or anyone else. He would have fought the Federation with a garbage skow full of Decimas if that was what he had available. He needed no boost. He was already Overconfident, full of resolve, and leader by virtue of his single minded vision.

True, but I do feel that it was a critical time for Blake's authority and ability to use the Liberator towards his own goals; the arrival of Cally imo swung the early power struggle between him and Avon for the rest of the crew in Blake's favour. Jenna doubted the reasoning of allowing Cally on board, but does seem to be persuaded by the justification provided by the new character's story. With Blake and Cally in favour of fighting, Jenna persuaded to support them, and Vila playing neutral, Gan was always going to go with the majority and leave Avon in the cold.

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Jenna doubted the reasoning of allowing Cally on board,

Because Cally is alien, and Jenna's just had a very bad time with other aliens who were brought on board.

With Blake and Cally in favour of fighting, Jenna persuaded to support them..

Jenna supported Blake long before Cally came on board, otherwise in Cygnus Alpha she'd have agreed to take the Liberator and all its wealth and run off with Avon.

...and leave Avon in the cold.

Avon would always be in the cold - he enjoys challenging Blake. Avon's own motivations are for personal wealth and safety and he thinks that Blake is an idealistic fool.

Blake, Avon and Jenna would be treading the same paths with or without Cally.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
In terms of percentages it's interesting! Jenna was initially on Blake's side, edging towards his philosophy because she wanted to feel that what she was doing with her life had meaning and Blake's crusade supplied that meaning. But somewhere along the line she became more cautious. Perhaps she found Blake too single minded and intense and felt he compromised her safety too much. Then along comes fanatical Cally. It changes the power structure if nothing else - now the percentages favour Blake not Avon. But I think Cally, being young, fearless, ( Avon would say idiotic) she must have had a psychological effect on the older, more disillusioned Blake- if only to make him more bold. Also he would have become even more committed to acts of daring rebellion after nearly losing her to Travis - if only out of guilt or a desire to make it up to her. Just as Gan's death fills him with an obsessive determination to find Star One. I think faced with an endlessly carping Avon, a reluctant follower in Jenna who may have expected an emotional reward for her loyalty he was unable or refused to give, Gan's moral objections and Vila's cowardice he would have been faced with making the decision to return to Earth and fight from there surrounded by committed rebels much earlier. After all he makes that decision when Cally's enthusiasm for all out rebellion seems to dwindle,( perhaps in the face of Avon's perceptive scepticism or because she recognises that Blake is pretty hopeless at organising rebellious acts,) and Jenna displays a more critical attitude to his suggestions.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Thank you Annie! You describe the scenario, it's impact on the crew individually and collectively, and the implications for the story arc in so much more (and better) chronological detail than I could! Yes, that's precisely the chain of events and direction of character development that was in my mind...

Anniew
Aww shucks Mr SD!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

Blake is the leader in S1-S2, just ask him, he'll tell you. He bears responsibility. If anything, near the end of S2, Cally tries to reign him in.

CALLY Are you sure that what we're going to do is justified?
BLAKE It has to be. Don't you see, Cally? If we stop now then all we have done is senseless killing and destruction. Without purpose, without reason. We have to win. It's the only way I can be sure that I was right.
CALLY That you were right?

Cally's presence does change the crew dynamic. Early on we were all ready to ship Jenna / Blake. Sally and Gareth even asked Chris Boucher about it. But Cally changes things.

AVON Where's Blake?
JENNA I have no idea. Why ask me?
AVON Because I thought you might know.
JENNA Well, I don't.
CALLY He's gone to have a rest.
AVON I see. Orac has just come up with the computation and attack strategy that he asked for. [Holds up a data card]
GAN What attack strategy?
AVON Exactly. Another of Blake's little schemes he hasn't thought fit to tell us about. You are not going to believe the target he has in mind.
CALLY The Federation Weapons Development Base?

Thus Cally is in the loop while Jenna and Avon are not. And Sally plays it as though Jenna is none to happy about it.

Well Blake sure went with Cally on a lot of missions. So there is obviously some sort of a friendship bond there.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.49 seconds
9,881,229 unique visits since 8th January 2014