Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Dec Fanfic Challenge and some questions
purplecleric
There will be no December edition of the Fanfic Challenge. The Horizon Advent Calendar should keep you busy enough!

However, for those who would like some inspiration for a fanfic entry to the calendar - here's a couple of word prompts to mull on... 'GIFT' and 'WISE MEN'

And I've got some questions for you:

1. Would you like the challenges to continue next year?
2. If so, would you like any changes to the format or parameters?
3. Would anyone else like to have a turn at posing the challenges?
4. Do you have any other feedback?

"Thank you for participating in our online survey. Your opinions are valuable to us. To show our appreciation your details have been entered into a free prize draw to win a years membership of the National Trust. "

Or maybe not. Grin

Anniew
I'm very happy in things continuing as they are if its not too much work for you. I love your prompts which have always inspired me and I am deeply grateful to you for them.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
purplecleric wrote:
1. Would you like the challenges to continue next year?

Yes, please don't stop.

purplecleric wrote:
2. If so, would you like any changes to the format or parameters?

No, I think it's fine.

purplecleric wrote:
3. Would anyone else like to have a turn at posing the challenges?

No, you do a perfect job, PC Smile

purplecleric wrote:
"Thank you for participating in our online survey. Your opinions are valuable to us. To show our appreciation your details have been entered into a free prize draw to win a years membership of the National Trust. "

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin

JustBrad
I suspect we will get many holiday related ficlets for the advent calendar.

PC, if you run out of ideas for Compete The Scene, simply give us a theme.
Betrayal... Death.... Loss.... Regret.... (Well this is Blake's 7, but if you want a challenge: Happiness) Pfft

BradPaula
PC you've done a wonderful job with the ficlet challenge and thank you for thinking it up and getting it onto the site. I vote to continue the challenge and if anyone would like to help PC with ideas for a theme or prompt, please help her out. Although I'm not the best writer, it's a challenge and fun and I've grown to not only love writing the little bits but reading everyone else's.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

littlesue
I'm quite happy carrying on..it's quite a challenge.
Like being back at school and being asked to do a 500 word essay based on this word, or opening sequence or, my fave, that picture...I had terrible trouble then keeping it under 500 words (sorry!!).
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis

That'll be quite a challenge when it comes to the crews of Liberator and Scorpio Grin Grin

Joe Dredd
I agree, PC has done a great job! Perhaps the 500 word limit should be taken off, but on the other hand it seems to keep us in check and no one complains when we go over anyway!

Anyway, it's a good opportunity to say thanks purplecleric. I hope you're enjoying it too because I know we all are!

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ purplecleric

Seems to have worked really well so far and I can't think of any original ideas for improving it; please do carry on with the challenges for as long as you're happy doing so!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
Joe Dredd wrote:

Perhaps the 500 word limit should be taken off...

There was a word limit? Oh... Wink

It was only really a guide anyway, we've never thrown an entry out for being too long as far as I'm aware.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Travisina
Carry on, PC - you know how much I love these challenges!

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Joe Dredd wrote:

It was only really a guide anyway, we've never thrown an entry out for being too long as far as I'm aware.

No entry has been thrown out, but overlength and multi-part entries do cause issues further down the line, because of the space restrictions the website has per article. In other words, when ficlets keep more or less to the word limit (even up to 750-1,000 words, being generous) I can publish them as monthly collections with minimal editing - usually just correcting punctuation, and the occasional spelling or grammar. However, longer contributions have to be published as separate, stand-alone stories and be subject to a more rigorous editing process. (Anniew and Littlesue will know what I mean by that!).
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm in a bit of a corner with my contribution/s for next year's fanfic pages; the main idea that I would like to write would probably be too self indulgent and tangential, though Paula tells me it's a good concept. So it's a choice of whether to risk boring everyone or try to think of something else and get writer's block instead Grin

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

Carry on, PC - you know how much I love these challenges!

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Joe Dredd wrote:

No entry has been thrown out, but overlength and multi-part entries do cause issues further down the line, because of the space restrictions the website has per article. In other words, when ficlets keep more or less to the word limit (even up to 750-1,000 words, being generous) I can publish them as monthly collections with minimal editing - usually just correcting punctuation, and the occasional spelling or grammar. However, longer contributions have to be published as separate, stand-alone stories and be subject to a more rigorous editing process. (Anniew and Littlesue will know what I mean by that!).

I blame my keyboard......Grin M'Lud
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

purplecleric
I'm glad you have had fun with my challenges. I've been surprised and delighted by the response throughout the year. It'll be my pleasure to continue.

The 500 word limit is part of the challenge. It ensures dabblers are not daunted by the thought of producing pages of prose and can hopefully find the time to contribute. As Hugbot has noted, the entries can be easily read on screen and during a coffee break. It makes it easier for Travisina to compile them into the monthly collections so they won't be lost if the site ever goes down again.

However, if your 500 words then become the inspiration for longer pieces of fan fiction - brilliant! Travisina is always looking to add to Horizon's fanfic section.

The word prompt will stay in 2016 but I'm going to play around with the second challenge. It may be a picture prompt (I saw the comments in the Advent Calendar thread) or a line of dialogue or something else entirely. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

So look out for the new challenge tomorrow and thank you all again!

Anniew
Can't wait till tomorrow PC!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
9,861,305 unique visits since 8th January 2014