Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Vila: a darker character?
Spaceship Dispatcher
And Jenna.
Blake sent her a note: Will you join me again?
She sent him a note back: I'd rather die.
The transmission got garbled.
Blake got confused.

Lol Grin Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
But I care that they die, she asserted valiantly to the disbelieving audience. I wouldn't care if Servalan died.... I'd miss her but I'd cheer. I was thrilled when Travis bit the dust. when Dorian, Doran, Justin, Egrorian, Zukan, Piri faced the Raven. I didn't cheer when our good/bad boys were killed. I cried. Because they tried to be good guys, as much as was possible in that cruel universe.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Can't say that I cheer when any character dies, good or evil, but equally the demise of the main players in Blake's 7 didn't affect me in the same way as the loss of regulars in other shows either. Matthew Crawley on the other hand...

Oops
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Anniew
Ohh SD you're so much nicer than I am! I've always adored westerns and love it when the guy in 'the black hat gets shot by the guy in the white hat! I've never really watched Dowton but what I saw on the trailers and dipping into the programme I would have happily watched both Matthew Crawley and Lady Mary die! .

Anniew
I assume Matthew Crawley WAS in Downton and this is not just another example of my increasing mental deterioration!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

I assume Matthew Crawley WAS in Downton and this is not just another example of my increasing mental deterioration!

Yes, he was one of the principal leads and a really nice character. So sad when he dies, and the grief lingers properly over the following season.

Anniew
Like I said...MUCH nicer!

Ellen York
Anniew wrote:

I didn't cheer when our good/bad boys were killed. I cried. Because they tried to be good guys, as much as was possible in that cruel universe.

You nailed it, Annie. They aren't really good guys or bad guys, just very human and trying to survive in a universe likely to bring out the worst in people.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Can't say that I cheer when any character dies, good or evil, but equally the demise of the main players in Blake's 7 didn't affect me in the same way as the loss of regulars in other shows either. Matthew Crawley on the other hand...

SD, but Zen's death is one of the saddest ever in anything.... how can you not be affected by that... poor Zen FrownFrown

Meanwhile, the mass slaughter in the final five minutes of the final episode caused a slight numbness for me after watching it for years. Again, massively affecting.

I only cheer when one character dies in B7.... I'll give you a clue, she feels the pinch Grin Grin Grin Grin
Edited by trevor travis on 24 November 2015 08:40:14

Spaceship Dispatcher
Blake's 7 is a show where my interest is almost entirely in the production and performance aspects, and I have never really related to the fictional side such as character or story beyond them being the product of real life factors like the writer's vision and the actor's interpretation; thus the series has never had the emotional connection for me that other shows do where I have a personal attachment that engages me on that sort of level.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Reflecting upon the thread so far, some of the thoughts do make sense of what previously has been a major stumbling point with the final series for me in the past; that is the shift in Vila's role in the crew, not just his practical role on missions and so on but how the character fits within the social dynamic of the main cast of regular characters. Some of my objection to s4 has lifted somewhat if Vila is a darker and more sinister person that other crew members feel unable to trust or respect; it also gives more dramatic meaning to the comic showman exterior to his personality, if it's a cover for something more complex...

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Reflecting upon the thread so far, some of the thoughts do make sense of what previously has been a major stumbling point with the final series for me in the past; that is the shift in Vila's role in the crew, not just his practical role on missions and so on but how the character fits within the social dynamic of the main cast of regular characters. Some of my objection to s4 has lifted somewhat if Vila is a darker and more sinister person that other crew members feel unable to trust or respect; it also gives more dramatic meaning to the comic showman exterior to his personality, if it's a cover for something more complex...

I do wonder if more of the darker side of Vila emerges in Derek, as he descends further into alcoholism. If he starts to get more lecherous to Dayna, it could explain some of her harsh comments.

Until the lack of Cally makes a big difference in Derek. She was the glue keeping everyone together.

Anniew
Re Rodney's view on Orbit - I think it's an interesting one. Avon often acts impulsively and then changes his mind. (Children of Auron/Nebrox) as some better impulse kicks in. He's certainly open to another solution when he finds the dark matter box. Even his threat to kill Tarrant in Terminal could be seen as a way of keeping them all safe. As Chris Boucher has said he usually does the right thing in the end. Even killing Blake is possibly the right thing because Arlen and the Feds would certainly have captured him and I think he'd prefer death to mind wipe.

And in season 4 ALL the characters worst traits get a bit magnified as stress piles on stress and no one trusts anyone anymore. Soolin must have changed the dynamic too. There is limited use for Vila and probably only Avon has interest in keeping Him alive ( as a safe-ish ally). No wonder Vila drinks and becomes more objectionable and dark. None of the characters are very likeable in Derek. There is a sense that they are all employing avoidance tactics ( drink, romance, weapons, gun skills, alcohol, mad plans) as survival becomes harder and harder and less likely and they all long to escape while having no where to go.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

...There is a sense that they are all employing avoidance tactics (drink, romance, weapons, gun skills, alcohol, mad plans) as survival becomes harder and harder and less likely and they all long to escape while having no where to go.

That's an interesting angle, and does fit the odd mix of social connection and disintegration that we see in the final series.

sooper mouse
BradPaula wrote:

Interesting thread, SD. I've always maintained Vila is a very multi-layered character and his persona of being a stupid drunk is just a smoke screen to keep him safe in an unsafe Federation. And we do get glimpses from time to time in the series that there is more to Vila than meets the eye.

I have to agree with you. Of all the main characters, I think Vila is my favorite, and much of that has to do with the incredible acting skills of Michael Keating. Any Big Finish disc with Vila in it is a favorite of mine. It's a joy to hear such a natural actor doing his thing.

I always thought Vila's descent into alcoholism was mirroring Avon's descent into Paranoia.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

JustBrad
sooper mouse wrote:

I always thought Vila's descent into alcoholism was mirroring Avon's descent into Paranoia.

I suppose you could argue that both were defense mechanisms to deal with the stress of the fourth season.

sooper mouse
JustBrad wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

I suppose you could argue that both were defense mechanisms to deal with the stress of the fourth season.

None of them is actually doing what they want to do, and in the process of doing things they would rather not, it gets hard and stressful so everyone has an outlet- Avon gets darker and darker, he dresses like a renaissance prince and is more and more detached in his self quest to live up to Blake's image of him that he has to associate with people he doesn't really care for, doesn't even like that much but he needs a crew so he puts up with them while constantly carrying a facial expression that's the equivalent of a tshirt saying "I'm surrounded by idiots".

While Vila, whom we know would rather do anything but be a terrorist, is forced to go along with it because Avon is the only thing remotely close to a friend he has left and he doesn't have the courage to go do anything else.
I mean let's be very honest, Vila doesn't like Tarrant, who bullies him nor Dayna who mocks him. His relation with Soolin is pretty neutral so, what is there left? Avon. Vila has nobody else, he doesn't have to stay there since it's been a while and he'd probably be able to lose himself somewhere, but he stays on because that's all he has left. And then in Orbit Avon tries to kill him and it's not even personal, it's just a pragmatic decision- "rather him than me"
VIla is kind of a victim in all this because he is undoubtedly the only genuinely good person there. He cares only he gets very little care back so he hangs onto the little bits of friendship thrown at him by the others.
Vila is an incredibly tragic character in all this imho.
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

I think stress is the key word.

In Stardrive, Vila is feigning being drunk. By the time of Warlord, after the events of Orbit, Vila IS drunk.

Both Avon and Vila are stressed out by Blake. But the logical way in which Avon works out how to save Vila, Dayna and Tarrant in Warlord shows he's still the same man, albeit a man who's been through so much. No wonder he's stressed.

trevor travis
sooper mouse wrote:
VIla is kind of a victim in all this because he is undoubtedly the only genuinely good person there.

Er, Vila suggests killing Avon as early as "Space Fall". He's not the great innocent by any means.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:
VIla is kind of a victim in all this because he is undoubtedly the only genuinely good person there.

Er, Vila suggests killing Avon as early as "Space Fall". He's not the great innocent by any means.

no, but he's the most innocent of them, and the little innocence he has left he keeps because he's not that involved in most of the bloodiest parts. he doesn't get to make much in way of decisions therefore he can maintain a certain degree of plausible deniability.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,185,640 unique visits since 8th January 2014