Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Vila: a darker character?
Travisina
Anniew wrote:

I think there is an AU version of Blakes 7 when all the characters show a disturbingly sinister side

Surely that's the canon version of B7?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

I think there is an AU version of Blakes 7 when all the characters show a disturbingly sinister side

Yes!! Grin Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Maybe Vila is something of a sexual deviant and Blake has found this out, after accessing Orac.

Oh come on, there is absolutely no evidence of that anywhere! Anyway, if there is anybody in Orac's records registered as a sexual deviant, that would be Blake.

And that's why he doesn't want Vila down on either Space City or Freedom City.

I reckon he doesn't want Vila down on those locations because of his unreliability - Blake doesn't trust him to stay out of trouble on his own (quite rightly). He's quite happy to insist Vila goes down planetside whenever his skills are needed.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Rodney wrote:

And before anyone mentions Orbit, Avon was just playing a game of hide and seek with Vila. He would never have thrown Vila off the ship. It was Orac's plan, not Avon's.

Er, Avon definitely would have thrown Vila off the ship. Our 'hero' Grin

And Vila knows this, which is why he hides and cries.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

...And that's why he doesn't want Vila down on either Space City or Freedom City.

I reckon he doesn't want Vila down on those locations because of his unreliability - Blake doesn't trust him to stay out of trouble on his own (quite rightly). He's quite happy to insist Vila goes down planetside whenever his skills are needed.

I think that's the point really; Blake seems aware of a particular sort of trouble that he wants to keep Vila away from that's not common with all missions.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Very much so. Grin

Even Zen, Orac and Slave have disturbing sinister moments Pfft

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

...And that's why he doesn't want Vila down on either Space City or Freedom City.

I think that's the point really; Blake seems aware of a particular sort of trouble that he wants to keep Vila away from that's not common with all missions.

Women? Maybe that's why there's that odd look at Vila's face in Moloch.... he realises Doran suffers from the same 'problem' Shock

rojkerr1
Vila very scary in THE WAY BACK, and he whistles before he shoots the guard in GAMES

Anniew
I think there's a wealth of difference between Dorian, Egrorian, Travis, Servalan, Justin, , Gros and Lector and the creepy thing in a tank ( oh and the Terra Nostra) who are truly disturbing and our heroes! They have disquietingly human moments but I never feel they are evil in the way the afformentioned present. Apart from Blake, they really just want to survive. (with a lot of money it's true but that's the nature of the world they are living in - all morality is relative) ) and Blake doesn't want World Domination for himself for personal power. I'd rather be in a failing shuttle with Avon than any of the above - at least if you present him with an alternative means to survive he'll take it. There's tragic human failings and evil . Evil people have crossed the line and I don't think any of our hereos have done that yet ( unless Vila's hiding a serial killer under that charming exterior).
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

I think there's a wealth of difference between Dorian, Egrorian, Travis, Servalan, Justin, , Gros and Lector and the creepy thing in a tank ( oh and the Terra Nostra) who are truly disturbing and our heroes!

Agreed, but that's what this thread is really about. It's more a debate about Vila's inner self, his personality, his vices and whether or not he embraces or rejects them, and how or when his fellow crew members learn of them and how it impacts on the crew dynamic.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 23 November 2015 11:25:58

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:
I think there's a wealth of difference between Dorian, Egrorian, Travis, Servalan, Justin, , Gros and Lector and the creepy thing in a tank ( oh and the Terra Nostra) who are truly disturbing and our heroes! They have disquietingly human moments but I never feel they are evil in the way the afformentioned present.

Surely there’s no such thing as good and evil in the B7 universe? It’s more complicated than that.

Does Servalan consider herself to be evil? No, she sees herself as head of a powerful unifying force.
Does Travis consider himself to be evil? No, he’s a soldier doing his duty.
Does creepy Justin consider himself to be evil? No, he believes his work is for a good purpose.
Does Blake consider himself to be evil? No, he believes his terrorist raids are justified.

The B7 universe is full of shades of grey. The crews of the Liberator and Scorpio are no different to anyone else in this universe.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Blake's 7 is unusual, maybe unique in a long running tv series, in following two groups of antagonists in opposition to each other with the only protagonists being guest characters who get trampled on and killed by one side or the other.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:
Women? Maybe that's why there's that odd look at Vila's face in Moloch.... he realises Doran suffers from the same 'problem' Shock

No, the odd look on Vila's face in Moloch is because Doran has just said that he doesn't like women.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

No, the odd look on Vila's face in Moloch is because Doran has just said that he doesn't like women.

Agreed, it's something Vila does not understand. That does not mean however that their attitude of women in relation to men, and the parameters of how one could or should treat the other, are necessarily different. They may approve of the same behaviour patterns but for different reasons.

Anniew
While there is no easy demarcation between good and evil in the series, unless we, the audience, believe that the seven are better than their opponents ( even if better only means more honest about their motives) then why should we root for them and hope they win? In 17 century revenge tragedy, no character is good because the Universe the inhabitant is an evil one and 'goodness' would lead to instant annihilation - but some characters do their best to have a few standards and are a bit more heroic than others and worthy of audience sympathy. If Vila is no better than Doran, Blake no better than Travis or Avon no better than Servalan then the hope that the former comes out on top in a struggle surely dies? Or is it that our competitive spirit inevitably makes us pick a side and be loyal to it- even though there is no moral difference between the two?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

...why should we root for them and hope they win?

I don't anyway.

If Vila is no better than Doran, Blake no better than Travis or Avon no better than Servalan then the hope that the former comes out on top in a struggle surely dies?

Ah... Blake's 7 summed up in one! Is it to late to get that printed on all the dvds and audios?!

JustBrad
Where are all the good guys?
You may be looking at them.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Anniew wrote:
If Vila is no better than Doran, Blake no better than Travis or Avon no better than Servalan then the hope that the former comes out on top in a struggle surely dies?

Ah... Blake's 7 summed up in one! Is it to late to get that printed on all the dvds and audios?!

Haha Grin Grin

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

It's not just the hope that dies, is it? They all blimmin' die! (Apart from Servalan. And possibly Avon. And maybe Vila was faking it)

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

Anniew wrote:

It's not just the hope that dies, is it? They all blimmin' die! (Apart from Servalan. And possibly Avon. And maybe Vila was faking it)

And Jenna.
Blake sent her a note: Will you join me again?
She sent him a note back: I'd rather die.
The transmission got garbled.
Blake got confused.
Jenna is alive and well and living on her own planet with her share of Libby's strong room treasures.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
9,086,610 unique visits since 8th January 2014