Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Vila: a darker character?
Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

VILA: All my life, for as long as I can remember, there's been people like you.
TARRANT: And I thought I was unique.
VILA: You're not even unusual, Tarrant.

Also, I would dispute that this exchange relates to directly to the question of apathy when Vila is neither victim or perpetrator; in context, was Vila not referring to being a victim of bullying by Tarrant in this scene?
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Rodney
I think that Vila has a fascinatingly dark side. He is willing to put others' lives in danger if it suits him and his drinking makes him a less than reliable team member. In addition, he is sometimes guilty of incredible stupidity and naivety, as in Power Play where he is taken in by the female bounty hunters despite repeated warnings from the primitives. While this isn't a dark aspect it is part of his genetic make-up whereby his drive for sex and alcohol sometimes overide the desire to save his fellow crew members.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Rodney
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Vila regards that Jenna submitting to Raiker was an option; that submission to such an act was dependent upon circumstances and not whether it was morally acceptable, and he viewed her rejection of the approach as an action that had disadvantaged the greater good of the whole body of prisoners and should at least have been considered. It throws light on a darker side to the character, that his attitude to male dominance is at the very least permissive. His lack of outrage at Raiker, and in fact his negativity is directed at Jenna, suggests something more about his social background and experiences before the events of The Way Back; it certainly adds complexity and even a sinister edge to the character.

I think that Vila is an amoral character. Re. Jenna, he feels that the end justifies the means. If it makes their lives easier, she should sleep with Raiker. This 'end justifies the means', though, would also fit Blake, Avon, Dayna, Tarrant etc. The only truly moral characters are Cally and Gan. With Gan's limiter limiting his choices, Cally - the alien - emerges as the one character without a darker side. (I'm happy to be challenged about this as she is after revenge like Blake is!)

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:I think that Vila is an amoral character. Re. Jenna, he feels that the end justifies the means. If it makes their lives easier, she should sleep with Raiker. This 'end justifies the means', though, would also fit Blake, Avon, Dayna, Tarrant etc. The only truly moral characters are Cally and Gan. With Gan's limiter limiting his choices, Cally - the alien - emerges as the one character without a darker side.

From what we see in "Breakdown", the non-limited Gan is far from moral.

Although I don't go with the Liberation view of Gan as the Jack The Ripper of the second calendar, we do see that without the limiter that he is a devious, manipulative and violent character.

Unless of course it's the faulty limiter scrambling his brain.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Although I don't go with the Liberation view of Gan as the Jack The Ripper of the second calendar, we do see that without the limiter that he is a devious, manipulative and violent character.

Unless of course it's the faulty limiter scrambling his brain.

No, I do think that's the real Gan that we see; Federation security must have had a reason for implanting the limiter at their own expense, as this does not fit any other pattern of punishment or conditioning we see.

However, that's for another thread... Wink
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

That's the question, innit? Did the limiter malfunction, causing Gan to become violent, or did the limiter merely cease to function?

And given what we know of The Federation, how did a (presumably) lower grade who 'murdered' a Federation Security Guard, live to stand trial and not be 'shot while trying to escape?'

Rodney
Inconsistencies, my dear Watson.

trevor travis
Maybe Vila is something of a sexual deviant and Blake has found this out, after accessing Orac.

And that's why he doesn't want Vila down on either Space City or Freedom City.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Excellent point! It adds motivation to those scenes, as Blake is not a man to hold Vila back because of personal differences as Tarrant might.

Rodney
Maybe Avon is a moral man masquerading as an amoral one; while Vila makes out that he is a gentle, kind, sensitive guy but who actually has no heart. Even his humour is based on his own self-centred fears and a bleak, cynical view of the world.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Excellent point! It adds motivation to those scenes, as Blake is not a man to hold Vila back because of personal differences as Tarrant might.

Indeed, Blake has many faults, but that isn't one of them. Wink He happily co-operates with Avon, despite clear personal differences between them.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

Maybe Avon is a moral man masquerading as an amoral one; while Vila makes out that he is a gentle, kind, sensitive guy but who actually has no heart. Even his humour is based on his own self-centred fears and a bleak, cynical view of the world.

Which would add justification to Tarrant, Dayna and Soolin's attitude towards him in series four.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Indeed, Blake has many faults, but that isn't one of them. ;) He happily co-operates with Avon, despite clear personal differences between them.

The lack of trust is logically not purely drink related, that is trying to keep Vila away from alcohol, because there is access to that on the ship.

Rodney
And before anyone mentions Orbit, Avon was just playing a game of hide and seek with Vila. He would never have thrown Vila off the ship. It was Orac's plan, not Avon's.

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:

And before anyone mentions Orbit, Avon was just playing a game of hide and seek with Vila. He would never have thrown Vila off the ship. It was Orac's plan, not Avon's.

Er, Avon definitely would have thrown Vila off the ship. Our 'hero' Grin

Rodney
trevor travis wrote:

Rodney wrote:

Er, Avon definitely would have thrown Vila off the ship. Our 'hero' Grin

We will never know for sure! Off thread, IMO it's the best series 4 episode, though.

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:
We will never know for sure! Off thread, IMO it's the best series 4 episode, though.

It's a great episode.

But the fact remains, with only minutes to save his life, Avon makes the decision to take Orac up on his suggestion and goes hunting for Vila...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

I may have warmed a little to a couple of s4 episodes, but that's not one of them.

Do we think the Scorpio crew's total lack of respect for Vila is because over time they learned of a sinister side of his personality that they find unacceptable?

trevor travis

Do we think the Scorpio crew's total lack of respect for Vila is because over time they learned of a sinister side of his personality that they find unacceptable?

It may well explain why Dayna can be particularly cutting towards him. Maybe Vila has 'wandering hands' while drunk.

In which case, Dayna is remarkably restrained in merely cutting him down vocally.

Anniew

Pot calling kettle surely. However 'dark' Vila is, Avon is a professional con man, Tarrant a deserter, Soolin a hired assassin and Dayna a casual killer and sexual experimenter. I think that they hate his laziness, find him irritating and a bit of a passenger, ( except when they need a thief). He doesn't need to be sinister to have earned their contempt. (Though I think there is an AU version of Blakes 7 when all the characters show a disturbingly sinister side)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
9,938,852 unique visits since 8th January 2014