Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch Oz - Dr Who: The Web of Fear
Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The thudding music from Tomb is about to make a return.

Yes, there was some excellent scouting of library tracks!

Although it does leave me wondering when the Cyber Controller will turn up!!

Considering how long it must take Vaughn to set up IE as we see it, he must have already made contact with the Cybermen or be about to...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Tyce
Thanks for the company guys. Sorry didn't say much again tonight - I hadn't seen this one before so was watching intensely.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The thudding music from Tomb is about to make a return.

Yes, there was some excellent scouting of library tracks!

Although it does leave me wondering when the Cyber Controller will turn up!!

Considering how long it must take Vaughn to set up IE as we see it, he must have already made contact with the Cybermen or be about to...

Indeed, although that story takes place four years after this one, IE was not set up overnight!!

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

It's a shame the Colonel didn't find any switched off War Machines in the market, he could have used them like infantry tanks... Wink

That story took place in 1966, this is 1975 Wink

Have never subscribed to that school of thought on UNIT dating.

It's the one that applies right through the Pertwee era, though, as far through to Sarah being from 1980 in Pyramids. Wink

There's equal evidence both ways; it's just one of those things that wasn't considered important in those pre-home video days.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis
Well I go with the production team, and Letts and Dicks always intended the stories to be set a few years in the future.

trevor travis
Cracking cliffhanger, as the possessed Travers turns up.

trevor travis
Tyce wrote:

Thanks for the company guys. Sorry didn't say much again tonight - I hadn't seen this one before so was watching intensely.

No problem Tyce.

Good story isn't it?

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Well I go with the production team, and Letts and Dicks always intended the stories to be set a few years in the future.

A decade out is a bit of a stretch.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Farewell for now, see you next time! Though I know that I'm not here next Sunday as I'm working.

Gauda Cheese

trevor travis wrote:

The Doctor's back and he's got Bret Vyon with him!!

Don't you mean Wolsey the cat?

*Big Finish reference Grin

Wolsey first turns up in the NA's I believe
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Gauda Cheese
Tyce wrote:

No GC :-(

Glad I was missed. I shall be around for the finale!

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

It's a shame the Colonel didn't find any switched off War Machines in the market, he could have used them like infantry tanks... Wink

AHHHHHHHHHHH I said no UNIT dating!Oops

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

AHHHHHHHHHHH I said no UNIT dating!Oops

GC, ah so you didn't want to be missed out!!

No problem. We can discuss UNIT dating in greater detail next Sunday Grin Grin Grin Grin

trevor travis
In “The Web Of Fear”:

ANNE: And you met him, when was it you said? In 1935? In Tibet?
VICTORIA: Yes.

VICTORIA: Wait a minute, Jamie! I'm Victoria Waterfield. And that's Jamie McCrimmon!
ANNE: Father?
TRAVERS: But it can't be. Why, that's over forty years ago.

Travers words are “over” forty years. In which case, we’ve maybe looking later than 1975, maybe 1978 was the intended date? After all, DW had a habit of setting stories in the future by a round number e.g. The Tenth Planet (20 years in the future), The Enemy Of The World (50 years in the future) or the Dalek Invasion Of Earth (200 years in the future). So maybe the idea was that The Web Of Fear was a decade in the future.

In “The Invasion”:

JAMIE: Oh course, the Yetis. We met you in the…
BRIGADIER: That's right, McCrimmon, in the underground. Must be four years ago now.
JAMIE: That long. It only seems about a couple of weeks ago, doesn't it.
DOCTOR: I've told you over and over again, Jamie. Time is relative.

So “The Invasion” seems to take place some time between 1979 and 1982.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The Doctor's back and he's got Bret Vyon with him!!

Don't you mean Wolsey the cat?

*Big Finish reference Grin

Wolsey first turns up in the NA's I believe

Yes, but he was voiced by Nicholas Courtney in the Big Finish audios Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
We also have a definite on screen date for The Time Warrior of 1980.

All of seasons 7-9 take place in less than a year? Can't agree.

trevor travis

We also have a definite on screen date for The Time Warrior of 1980.

All of seasons 7-9 take place in less than a year? Can't agree.

The Radio Times makes reference to The Invasion being set in 1975. As the official BBC magazine, I treat the Radio Times as part of the extended canon.

Working backwards, that would place The Web Of Fear in 1971.

That works better and gives more time. For example, aren't "Terror Of The Autons" and "The Mind Of Evil" set several months apart?

As for "Mawdryn Undead", somebody has clearly altered the timelines by this point. Maybe a consequence of "Pyramids Of Mars", the Doctor puts history back on almost its right course by defeating Sutekh, by not entirely the right course Wink There's also possible universe changing events in "The Armageddon Factor" and "Logopolis", and Earth changing events in "City Of Death".

It's not the first time the Doctor has changed history. There’s also the throny issue of Dalek continuity, which gets messed up at the point, that alerted by the Doctor, Davros installs a self-defence mechanism that enables him to survive after “Genesis”. Wink
Edited by trevor travis on 23 November 2015 10:19:15

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travers words are “over” forty years.

It's true that he says that but, taking what we know about Travers from both stories and how Anne has a sort of "hmm... whatever you say Father" look a lot of the time, it's also possible that through a combination of bravado and senility he's actually rounding up the figure quite a lot. I know lots of people who say "oh, at least forty!" when they actually mean about thirty...

trevor travis
Apparently the Green Death takes place in a year where February has 29 days.

Fits into a theory where both The Green Death and The Time Warrior take place during 1980.

trevor travis

Travers words are “over” forty years.

It's true that he says that but, taking what we know about Travers from both stories and how Anne has a sort of "hmm... whatever you say Father" look a lot of the time, it's also possible that through a combination of bravado and senility he's actually rounding up the figure quite a lot. I know lots of people who say "oh, at least forty!" when they actually mean about thirty...

Yes, I was starting to wonder the same. He's talking to Victoria, and if Victoria is as good at maths as she is at cookery, then she wouldn't have spotted his error.

The Web Of Fear is 1971 and The Invasion in 1975 works for me. In that case, I can't see the "four" years being wrong, it's a much shorter period of time and the discussion is between two 'reliable' characters, the Doc and the Brig Wink

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.67 seconds
9,113,367 unique visits since 8th January 2014