Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 919
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
November Fanfic Challenge
Anniew
Hugbot - many thanks for you lovely comments. SmileSmile
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Hugbot wrote:
@TT: Noooooooooooo! Not another ‘to be continued’ story! I am still waiting for the continuation of your Soolin story! Again, this piece is full of great ideas, from the tomato banter at the beginning to the surreal appearance of Zen. Loved it. But have a heart and give us the second part, will you?

Part 2 will follow a bit sooner this time. I've already completed the whole story, but it was rather long (over 1000 words) and the appearance of the human Zen came around halfway through, so I changed it into a cliffhanger!!

Ah yes, the Soolin story. Poor woman has been left half-dead for the last three months Shock In that case, I haven't written the conclusion... waiting for a suitable prompt. Grin

Travisina
Great story, TT - can't wait to read the continuation!

Thanks, people, for the nice comments on 'Icarus'. Sorry if it made you sad! I've been having a bit of an angsty time recently, and what better way to release pent-up feelings than via fan fic?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Hugbot
Mindscapes

The Liberator sailed serenely through the inky void of space, a beautiful vision in shining white and glowing green. However, on board things were not quite so placid.

‘Vila, you fool! What have you done?’ Cally was furious.

Vila didn’t look up. He had considered pouring a little alcohol over the moon disc to be a funny prank. The idea of a drunken moon disc had just seemed hilarious. He hadn’t foreseen an outcome like this.

‘It’s dying!’

Avon frowned. Above Cally’s lamentations, he seemed to hear a hushed whisper. There was a feeling in his head as if someone stroked his mind gently with a feather.

‘Do you feel that?’ he asked, ‘it is sending some telepathic message. Maybe it isn’t dying after all but merely changing. The alcohol seems to boost its abilities. We have to ...’

Avon gasped when the feather suddenly mutated into a sledgehammer. A wave of pain rushed through his head, and he nearly sank to his knees. There was no longer a whisper, but a dissonant choir of shouting voices that drowned all other noises. Lights burned all around him so that he had to close his eyes. He knew that these were no real voices and no real light. What he heard and what we saw was his brain’s interpretation of the chaotic telepathic signals that the moon disc broadcasted.

Finally, the voices faded. Maybe Cally was right. Maybe the moon disc was really dying. Maybe this wave of telepathic energy had just been a dying spasm. He dared to open his eyes again.

The lights were gone, but so was the flight deck of the Liberator. When he looked down, he saw sand. For a split second the horrible idea struck him that the moon disc’s abilitites had been boosted so much that it had even become capable of teleportation and that it had transported him to its home world, Zondar. But then he realised that it was dark although a red sun was burning in the sky. No, this was not real. His mind had been flooded by the moon disc’s thoughts. He was now stuck in whatever passed as a moon disc’s dream, but physically, he was still on the flight deck of the Liberator.

He looked around. In front of him he saw a small pond, its dark waters looking like a black hole. It was exactly at the place where in reality the moon disc lay.

Slowly Avon turned to his left. At his side, a fire burned, enclosed in a cage with thick iron bars. Two thin rivulets of fire had escaped the cage and wound their way through the desert. The smaller one tentatively ran towards Avon, the other one in the opposite direction.

Avon swallowed hard when he realised what he was seeing. Jenna stood at his left side. She was still there, as was he, but he could not perceive her with his physical senses. The moon disc ‘saw’ her with its telepathic senses and projected its visions into Avon’s brain, which in turn interpreted them. He instantly knew why he saw the image of a fire in a cage. But did the arm of fire stretching out towards him really mean what he thought it meant? He remembered her snuggling up to him in the cell on Space World.

But a much stronger arm of fire stretched away from him, towards the place where Blake stood. Avon stumbled forward; not physically, though. He knew that his body remained on the spot. It was only his mind that wandered through the mindscapes projected by the moon disc.

The advance of Jenna’s second fiery arm was impeded by iron railings that enclosed a few square meters of something similar to a Zen garden. However, the patterns raked into the ground were not round and organic but straight and relentlessly rectangular. The railings itself sported repellent spikes.

Avon shuddered when he saw the true nature of his comrades exposed in this way. The others would not see exactly the same images but their own interpretations, but one thing was sure: They would see a telling image of him. He did not dare to turn around. Instead, he stumbled forward, around the moon disc’s pond. In the reality of the flight deck, they all stood around the moon disc.

Next in line was a puddle filled with a green fluid exuding a heavy smell of alcohol. A small mound emerged in the middle, safely away from the shore and covered with mud. But something sparkled beneath all that dirt. When Avon took a good look, he saw a large hidden diamond, shining in all colours of the rainbow.

Avon moved on and arrived at a door that opened in the air like a door in a surrealist painting. Full of curiosity, he set his foot on the threshold. Behind the door, a long corridor stretched out into infinity, crossed by myriads of other corridors that formed a giant maze. Lights of unseen colours flashed through the labyrinth, and strange voices sang. It was a siren song luring him into the maze, and he even felt a strong force that tried to pull him over the threshold.

Orac. It was not a computer but a brain. That was why the moon disc could project its mental image. And what a tempting image it was! A door to all the places of knowledge to which Orac was connected. To go in there, to know it all! It was a consummation devoutly to be wished. And yet Avon pulled himself back. He knew he would get lost in this maze. There were more important things than knowledge. Fiery arms, for instance. He remembered that Cally stood right to him. What would her soul look like?

He went on, further around the dark pond of the moon disc. In front of him, a huge rock of granite loomed. Gan? When he came nearer, he could hear a heart bumping inside the stone. Oh, the gentle giant! In a sentimental gesture he touched the stone. It was not granite. It was soapstone, only painted as granite.

Avon drew back his hand and walked on. Finally, he reached a huge iceberg.

‘Cally?’ he wondered. Was this her inner self as the moon disc perceived it? No, of course not. She was a born telepath. She had learned to block her thoughts. That was why the moon disc could only see this icy barrier. It could not look into the depth of her soul. When Avon touched the iceberg, he felt a wave of warmth that flooded through he ice. Would the others feel it, too?

He stood there for a long while, savouring the warmth. But he was not the type to loose himself in sentimentality in the face of imminent danger. Reluctantly, he turned around and moved on.

The barbed wire fence took him by surprise. What was that? Cally stood next to him. There was no-one else. Whose image was this?

Beyond the fence, he saw a child, a young boy of maybe four or five years.

‘Who are you?’ he asked.

The boy did not answer. He just looked at Avon. His eyes were not the eyes of an innocent child. They looked adult and were full of sadness and loneliness. This was the moment when Avon realised what he saw.

‘NO!’ Did he just think the word or did he say it? Even shout it?

Another wave of pain flooded him. He cringed and closed his eyes.

And then it was all gone. No pain anymore. He could hear the usual sounds of the flight deck. Slowly he opened his eyes. The moon disc had gone. Maybe the excessive amount of telepathic energy had burned it out.

Cally sobbed. Was this because of the death of her pet or because of what she had seen? Avon did not know. He did not even dare to look up and into the faces of the others.

No-one did.

meegat39
Hugbot, wow! I'm blown away by your story, so much imagination, such exposure...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
Oh Hugbot, what a lovely, lovely story. So very imaginative and so moving. I think you are definitely winning this month's Write Off Challenge and will be crowned Master Writer at the end of it- unless anyone else comes forward . And of course we've still got TT's sequel to look forward to. And Gauda Cheese did promise to write something...

littlesue
@Hugbot.
Wow....I love it when someone gets inside Avon's mind.
Excellent!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Anniew wrote:

Oh Hugbot, what a lovely, lovely story. So very imaginative and so moving. I think you are definitely winning this month's Write Off Challenge and will be crowned Master Writer at the end of it...

Hugbot, I second that. What an unusual and evocative look at the characters - beautifully done.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

BradPaula
Very well done, Hugbot. Riveting images...
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceresearcher
Great work everyone, please do keep it up. I was considering a story where Blake meets 'The Toxic Avenger' but decided it might be a touch too fool hardy. Smile

littlesue
I hope no-one minds, but my little effort has taken on a life of its own; both prompts are there, but it seems that I will have to put it up as a three parter. I'm afraid Lurena is still having problems by the look of it...last time her internet company cancelled her broadband and phone!!!! She had got that sorted out, but there are other things like work commitments.
So there won't be a picture I'm afraid; just my scribbles.
I'm just going to read through all three bits again and then I'll post them on the thread in the next few days....

Anniew
No Sue, I won't mind one little bit. I shall just relish the story - as I always do - and 3 bits is a delicious treat.

littlesue
Well, here goes...Sue's little effort!
Part One.

EARTH

The Liberator sailed serenely through the inky void of space, a beautiful vision in shining white and glowing green. However, on board things were not quite so placid.
Gan’s death had cast a long shadow.
A bitter Blake was desperate to find the one thing that had eluded him; Central Control. An enticing prize ripped from his grasp and he was desperate to find its new, unknown location. Someone, somewhere had that answer.
The call from the Space Station sounded promising. A rebel leader believed that he had the solution; and he was eager to tell Blake.
“This could be just wishful thinking,” Cally advised.
“Maybe, but it’s something and I’m prepared to pay him a visit and satisfy myself that…”
“Clutching at straws?” Avon asked.
“Possibly, but Gan deserves something better that an empty room.”
“I’ll come with you,” Jenna said, “it’s preferable to staying here at the moment.”
That last comment did not go unnoticed by Avon, “Perhaps Vila may like to accompany you. That station is not as salubrious as Space City…”
Vila was only half listening, but if there was a chance escape the growing feeling of emptiness, then he would take it, “Anything’s better than being stuck here with you.”

Several days later, Vila sat forlornly at the end of the long bar, staring into the glass and gently swirling the dregs of his drink.
He suddenly became aware of someone sitting next to him.
“Hi,” she said softly, “On your own?”
“Might just as well be,” he replied. He didn’t want to explain to a complete stranger how he felt now that the one person he could rely on had gone.
Gan.
Dead in some godforsaken room; buried beneath rubble and dying so that he, Vila, could escape, along with Blake and …him.
“What’s your name?” she asked.
“Does it matter?” Vila was mindful not to give out too many personal details. Here in this sad excuse for a drinking establishment were people who would greatly benefit if they knew who one of its erstwhile clients was.
Someone else came and sat beside him.
“It’s Vila Restal, isn’t it?”
It was a man this time.
“You don’t remember me, but I knew you from the old days; in and out of all sorts of detention centres.”
“Much good it did us,” Vila sighed.
“I know that you’ve had a change of career since, but I presume that you’ve kept your hand in…”
“Oh, yes, I’ve kept my hand in…much good it’s done me.”
“We’ve got a job for you,” the woman whispered.
“Sorry, not interested.”
“But you don’t even know what it is!”
The man leaned in closer, “The Commander on this station just upped and left…and he had a strong room...rumour has it…”
“There’s always a rumour…” Vila murmured.
“…that he put all the valuables on this station in it. And now he’s gone…well no-one can access it…no-one but you, old friend.”
“He is not your old friend.”
Vila smiled and turned to face Avon.

littlesue
Part Two.

WIND

“Someone has to,” Avon smiled back, his eyes still firmly on the man who claimed to be one of Vila’s very old colleagues.
“This is between me and Vila,” the man said firmly, “Now why don’t you go away and annoy someone else.”
“Yes, you heard him, go and …...” Vila began, his words slurring.
The woman slowly and deliberately, slid from the stool she was sitting on and calmly sidled up to Avon.
“In fact,” she said quietly, her finger tracing a circle on his chest, “Why don’t you do us all a favour and take your pretty little face and just go?”
Avon watched as the trio left the dark, uninviting bar.
“I might just do that.”

“I thought you were keeping an eye on Vila,” Jenna said accusingly.
“I was,” replied Avon, “But it seems his new friends had other ideas.”
“What new friends?” Blake asked.
“The two people who persuaded him to go back to his old ways and help them break into a strong room.”
“And you just stood by and let them,” Jenna continued.
“I was asked politely not to interfere.”
“Which strong room?” Blake inquired.
“It belonged to the former Commander of this station. It is reputed to be filled with valuables of some nature. Is that a problem?”
“It could be,” Jenna announced, “Our contact…”
“Another brave idealist…”
Jenna bit her lip, “…said that he believed the information that we want about Central Control and who was involved in moving it, is contained in the records collated by the Commander. He had a dislike for computers…and I for one know exactly how he feels.”
Avon ignored the rebuke, “So what records are we looking for?”
“A card index system,” Blake said.
“Paper? In this day in age?”
“Not everybody feels happy about relying on electronic devices. I think it’s rather quaint,” Jenna admitted.
“Yes,” Avon said, “I can understand your attraction to something so simple. I presume your contact knows where this cornucopia of information is?”
“He’s given me the location,” Blake replied, “Do you want to come, or is something as primitive as a card index system beneath you?”
“This should prove interesting. Vila’s friends believe that vault to be filled to the brim with treasure. One can only imagine their disappointment when they discover the truth.”

littlesue
Part Three,

FIRE

“Paper!”
“What?” Vila cried, “After all that…just paper?”
His ‘old’ friend stood in the centre of the room surrounded by bank upon bank of neatly labelled drawers. He had opened several, but had only found set after set of neatly printed cards.
“I don’t understand,” the young woman said, “What is all this?”
“I don’t know; but I don’t like being made a fool of…”
Vila didn’t like the tone of his friend’s voice, “Look, its only paper…why don’t we just leave it…?”
“Leave it, Vila? I was promised a vast haul of valuables that would get me off this dump of a space station and set me up for a better life. What good is this... paper?”
“I know,” the woman said, “it’s only good for one thing. Let’s burn it!”
“You can’t do that!” Vila cried.
“Just watch me!!”
From his belt, the man took a small device and primed it.
“Come on, let’s just leave them ashes.” So saying, he threw the small device into the pile of paper haphazardly scattered across the floor.
“We’d better get out of here!”
Vila didn’t need to be told twice. He scrambled out of the room and quickly shut the door.
“Hey!” It was Blake at the far end of the corridor.
Vila’s two friends took one look at the three people now bearing down on them and decided to make a run for it.
Avon made no attempt to stop the runaways.
“Open that door, Vila…” Blake demanded.
“That wouldn’t be a good idea. I think they threw an incendiary device….”
“Open the door! All the information we want is in there!”
“But it’s only paper.”
“Open…”
Jenna put herself between the door and Blake.
“We can’t risk it. If there is a fire in there and you open this door…it’s an oxygen rich atmosphere out here. It will be an inferno.”
“But you don’t understand…”
“What Jenna is saying,” Avon began, “is that if you open that door, and then you risk not only incinerating us…but the rest of the inhabitants on this backward space station. You wouldn’t want to add to your tally…would you?”
“But…”
“For once in your life listen to your crew. What was in there, Vila?”
Vila held out a piece of card. On it was line after line of precise printing.
“And what good is that now?” Jenna asked, “Everything else that could be of any use is now just a pile of ashes.”
“Maybe so, but a machine was used to print these out…which means that our technology hating Commander had all the information to hand…” Avon slowly turned to face the one time Commander’s office, “…in there.”
“Find the machine…” Blake began.
“…and find the information. We do not have to sift through an entire card index system…”
“…because Orac can scan the electronic memory.”
“Precisely.”
Blake was making his way to the office before Avon had finished.
“You look very pleased with yourself,” Jenna remarked quietly.
“Do I?” Avon said casually.
“Yes, you do,” Vila concurred.
“A man like Blake needs a passion; a fire in his belly. That fire was temporarily extinguished, but now it has been reignited. Which may not be a good omen for us.”
“You mean, we could burn with him,” Vila said.
“Unfortunately, yes.”
“That’s not funny, Avon,” Jenna admitted.
“Neither is dying.”

Anniew
So worth the wait Sue.

Hugbot
I thoroughly enjoyed Earth, Wind & Fire (great sequence of titles, by the way!). A very inventive story, especially the 'old-fashioned' guy who relies on paper (reminds me of a certain hugbot that I know Grin), the dig at the illiterate 'digital natives' of our time ('it's only paper' ) and the great characterisations ('for once in your life, listen to your crew' ). (Big Finish, are you reading this?)
A very fascinating aspect for me was to find very similar images to the ones I used in my novelette Paper crushes scissors (the room/house full of invaluable paper that finally burns to ashes for trivial reasons). You know what they say about great minds? Grin

trevor travis
ZEN’S DEN
(A continuation of RETURN OF THE PRODIGAL SON)

Previously on Blake’s 7…

“What do you mean, previously on Blake’s 7? Pah. We were a television programme that treated its audience with intelligence and respect. All that recap nonsense started in America around the 1980s and spread over here like a disease. Modern-day viewers are treated like mindless morons. It’s as bad as having suppressants in the food and water. They should be given a chance to be think and feel for themselves. Back in our day, we didn’t need to remind viewers what happened seven days ago - they were capable of remembering. They weren’t goldfishes…”

Er, sorry Blake, straight on with the story then.

Blake looked incredulously at the old man in front of him, who had just claimed to be Zen.

“What? But you’re… you’re human?”

“To be accurate, 80% human and 20% modified by the system.” Zen turned his head, so that Blake could examine it. “If you look carefully, you can see the implants which allow me to integrate myself with the Liberator’s circuity.”

“So you just plug yourself in?”

“Yes, just over there. You didn’t really think Zen was a computer?” The old man chuckled.

“But Avon has fixed you in the past.”

“He thought he was. But it was actually a section of the ship’s electronics. Not Zen.”

Blake grinned. “Well, well, well”, he said with a smile. “Is Zen your actual name?”

“No it’s Peter. Zen was the name conjured up by Jenna when you came aboard. I prefer it.”

“And do you speak into a microphone?”

“No, the circuity takes the thoughts from my mind and formulates them into the words you hear spoken on the other side of this wall. Any references to myself as Zen as an individual tend to get edited out. Some of my eccentricity stays in, plus my own survival instinct. It also edits out swear words – I often use those towards Avon!”

Blake burst out laughing.

Zen continued. “It gets a bit boring in here a lot of time. Especially since you left. We spend most of the time drifting aimlessly through space. If you’re looking for somewhere to hide for a bit, why not join me in my little den here? There’s plenty to drink”. He nodded to crates of alcohol beverage in the corner.

“Why not?” said Blake. They both laughed.

Blake and Zen had a fabulous time over the next few months in Zen’s Den.

Blake had a brilliant time watching Avon make such a hash of things, on the large monitor that displayed the flight deck. Avon had always been critical of Blake, so it amused him to watch Avon foul things up so often and so badly. And also to watch his petty squabbles with the other chap. What was his name again? Oh yes, Tarrant. “Not a patch on Jenna”, thought Blake, “and he’s as thick as two short planks.”

Zen had an endless supply of beer and wine – it wasn’t hard to find the odd asteroid where they could stock up while the others slept.

Sometimes, when it was quiet at night, they’d sneak out and go condom fishing on any ocean-based planets they passed. Blake was well chuffed when he caught a two-pound black ribbed nobbler.

The time didn’t go without incident. One time, Blake was hit in the eye with an exploding champagne cork. A drunk Zen botched the operation in the medical bay.

“Oh drat, look at the scar that I’ve left you with.”

“Don’t worry about that, Zen my friend, let’s get back to the champers”, hiccupped Blake in a fit of giggles.

“Oh lord”, exclaimed Blake. “What’s that slime stuff? Even by his own low standards, Avon has excelled himself this time. The poor old Liberator has had it."

“You’re right”, said Zen. “We’ll have to leave. I’ll say goodbye to Vila first. I always liked Vila.” Zen went over to his equipment, with Blake closely in tow. He plugged himself in.

“But Zen…”

“Quiet for a moment old chap, I just thought of your name in error. That’ll keep the viewers guessing - I reckon that Travisina will pick up on it in a rewatch in the year two thousand and fifteen!”

Zen communicated his final thoughts.

Blake was more concerned regarding their escape. “Come on Zen, let’s sneak out of the back exit and get to the teleport while it’s still just about operational.”

Down on the planet Terminal, Blake and Zen quickly adjusted to their surroundings.

“We need to find a way off this planet”, said Zen pragmatically.

The opportunity arose within hours. They saw the Wanderer Class spaceship and they also saw Avon holding a blond man at gunpoint.

Blake and Zen snuck onto the ship. And that’s when the fun really started.

TO BE CONTINUED…

NEXT EPISODE: SLAVE’S CAVE
Edited by trevor travis on 27 November 2015 08:26:42

littlesue
@TT
Zen's Den...Slave's cave.
Love it, love it.
And I was wandering when you would mention the CRATE of beer under the table.....I have no idea how Mr Thomas got through the sudden unexpected set call for Killer!!!
Hic!
And now I have to wait for another instalment? That's not fair.

meegat39
@ Sue - a lovely story and very clever too!
@TT - I like the thought of Zen and Blake burping and hiccuping around the galaxy, great!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.66 seconds
9,457,692 unique visits since 8th January 2014