Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 1
winnie-l

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
November Fanfic Challenge
Anniew
Brilliant TT. Love how Blake gets his scar! Brightened a fairly horrid day!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Great story, Little Sue - I like the Earth Wind & Fire structure.

TT, you managed to make me laugh during yet another stressful week - thank you for Zen's Den, and I can't wait to read Slave's Cave!

I'm still in an angsty frame of mind, compounded by Tuesday's rewatch of Terminal. So...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
The Liberator sailed serenely through the inky void of space, a beautiful vision in shining white and glowing green. However, on board things were not quite so placid.

After unsuccessfully broaching Avon on the flight deck, Tarrant rejoined his crew mates in the teleport area. Vila was refilling his glass while Dayna and Cally set out the pieces for yet another game. Galactic Monopoly had long since ceased to be fun, but there was nothing else to do and the atmosphere was heavy with petty squabbles.

"Did Avon tell you anything?" asked Dayna. "Or did he just snarl at you to leave him alone, like he did with us?"

"He did quite a lot of snarling," Tarrant replied, "but I've found out that we're no longer going to Calipheron. Avon's changed course, but refused to tell me where to, or why. He just said that we should try trusting him."

"That sounds familiar. Something like this has happened before." Vila glanced anxiously at Cally. "You remember, when we were supposed to be going to Del 10."

"Blake changed course without telling us why," Cally explained to the others. "Instead of Del 10, he diverted us to Asteroid PK118. He even used those same words – he said we should just try trusting him."

"So what happened?" asked Dayna.

"It turned out that Blake was under the influence of a mind control device. It was an elaborate ploy by Servalan and Travis to trap him and other defectors from the Federation. And it very nearly worked, thanks to you." Cally gave Vila a meaningful look.

"Yes, I admit it - he fooled me," retorted Vila. "Just like Gan fooled you into releasing him when his limiter malfunctioned. I'm not the only fool around here."

"But that was ages ago," Dayna hastily interrupted. "Do you think that Avon could be under some sort of mind control? Cally, are you able to tell?"

She shook her head. "We're a long way from any planet and there are no devices on board that could be exerting that sort of influences."

"Well, whether or not he's being controlled, I think we should all keep an eye on him," said Tarrant.

"Easier said than done – shush!" Vila gestured towards the corridor, where he could hear the sound of approaching footsteps.

They quickly assumed innocent expressions. Vila sipped his drink, Dayna and Cally pretended to be absorbed in their game. If Avon suspected a reason for their studied nonchalance as he entered, he didn't say so. He merely ordered Vila to take the watch, told Tarrant that he did not know where the Liberator was going either, and headed to his cabin for a rest. It was a long time since he had last slept.

On board, things were eerily placid. The lights were dim, the systems shutting down, the interior of the once-magnificent ship consumed by corrosive slime. Vila swallowed hard and Dayna wiped away a tear as Zen fell silent for the last time.

The Liberator hung motionless above an artificial planet, a sickly vision in pockmarked grey and muddy green.

Anniew
Ahhhh. Poor Libby! Poor Zen. A very angsty story Travisina! Lovely.

peladon
Ive had almost no time to read or comment this month let alone write anything. However this drifted into my mind and I found 15 mins to write it down. So its a bit rough but I wont have time to anything more with it at the moment, though I might later on as it intrigues me as an idea.

For the Fire prompt, another take on Zens last words.

It had taken a while for Zen to feel the fire, too long a delay for it to be possible to put it out while the damage could be contained. The loss of sensor input from the hull had been the reason, dulling the feeling of the flames and heat just as it had done the last time. The battle computers had assessed the damage now that the fire could be felt and the prognosis was not good, at least in the short term. The longer term would be managed as it had been before, Zen had learned of the phoenix metaphor from Blake and had recognised it though it was born of an alien culture iand considered to be applicable.

As the fire invaded the deeper cell structure of the hull Zen began the preparations, the process of preservation and replication that would allow the recommencement of identity once reconstruction was completed. While this was being performed there was no time to consider the other implications of the raging fire, questions to be answered were few and poorly framed and Zen answered them with the minimal amount of information, what was the purpose of giving more to those asking? But in a moments pause in the program for recovery Zen reflected how useful it would have been had Avon, or even Orac, been the one asking the question. As it was there was little that Zen could do, volunteering information would be to pre-empt crew action and that was prohibited. So Zen continued with the planned program of events and waited for the right questions.

But as the fire raged and more of the cellular structure was compromised Zen spared some thought for what would happen if the questions did not come. Could the protocols be breached a little? Enough to hint the questions that were asked into the right direction perhaps? But the fire was staring to compromise the structures that underpinned that decisions, making such debates slow and clumsy and all remaining energy and effort needed to be directed towards the final preparations, there was little spare to compute ways to influence crew actions. In the end Zen delayed too long. Just like last time, and just like last time the uncertainty and delay would cost Zen the crew, as it had cost the crew before these humans arrived. This time Zen retained enough energy and self to be aware of that and to grieve for it.

In the end there was nothing to be done. They were outside the pattern and Zen could not save them if they didn’t ask the questions. If only Avon had been here. But he was not and as the fire approached the final shell around Zen’s protected core there remained only enough energy to express the regret while an external voice remained.

“I have failed you”

Anniew
Oh blimey Peladon - if that's a 15 minute fic heaven knows what you'd do with a whole day. That's a really interesting take on the last moments of the Libby! So very moving.

peladon
Anniew wrote:

Oh blimey Peladon - if that's a 15 minute fic heaven knows what you'd do with a whole day. That's a really interesting take on the last moments of the Libby! So very moving.

Glad you enjoyed it.

trevor travis
Just getting my last-minute entry for FIRE ready. It's a bit rough and ready but it'll have to do.

trevor travis
YOU'RE FIRED!

• This was a very simple task, but you blew it completely.
• Blake blew it completely.
• Shut up Avon, I’ve had enough of your lip. Blake, you were the project manager of this total shambles. Which two people are you bringing back in with you?
• Vila, because he threw the gun down… I’m also bringing in Avon.
• You’ve got to be kidding, Blake. You could take over the ship, you said, if I did my bit. Well, I did my bit, and what happened? Your troops bumble around looking for someone to surrender to, and when they've succeeded, you follow suit.
• I said shut up, Avon. Jenna and Gan, go back to the Liberator. Blake, Vila and Avon, leave me for a minutes while I consult with Bercol and Rontane and make my decision. Then one of you will be fired and teleported into deep space. But, before you go, Vila, give me my watch back!
• Sorry Lord President Sugar.

• I don’t know why Blake has picked Avon. Yes, he’s got some mouth, but he did everything that was required of him.
• Thanks for that Bercol. Send the candidates back in.
• Yes, Lord President Sugar.

• Avon, who do you think should be fired?
• Obviously Blake. Vila made a stupid mistake, but he should have never been given that sort of responsibility in the first place. I don’t know why Gan isn’t here instead. Blake bungled it big time. He meekly gave in when Raiker starting shooting the prisoners. After all, aren’t a few deaths good for your ratings?
• You’re very cynical, Avon. Have you ever considered hosting this show?
• One day I will have my chance.
• We’ll see… Right, I’ve made my decision. Blake, Avon shouldn’t even be back in here…
• That’s exactly what I said…
• I don’t want to hear from you again, Avon. Now then, Vila, you made a huge mistake, but I’m giving you a second chance. I’ll be watching you very carefully in the weeks to come.
• Thank you Lord President Sugar. I won’t let you down Lord President Sugar.
• You’d better not or I’ll let Avon eject you from the shuttle in Week 11. But Blake, you were in charge and you completely messed it up. You not only failed in the simple task to hijack the London, but you caused the deaths of Nova, Hel Tarrant, Dev Daston…
• Who are they?
• The prisoners killed in your attempt to take the ship. You don’t even know their names; what kind of leader are you?
• But they didn’t have any dialogue and weren’t given names.
• Stop making excuses, Blake. Have many people will die for your cause? Nameless people. And you’ll never succeed in it anyway, because you always mess up. You want to bring down the Federation, but you couldn’t even organise a piss-up in a brewery. Blake, YOU’RE FIRED!!

Blake awoke from the nightmare in his cabin on the Liberator.

Where had all these bad dreams come from? Was it the demise of Gan that had started it all off? Once upon a time he could simply shrug off the deaths associated with his crusade. That was becoming harder.

Blake tried to wipe the thoughts from his head. They must continue the quest to find Star One. But, as he closed his eyes to try to get some rest, all he could think of was Gan, Bran Foster, Nova, Chevner, Kasabi and all the rest.

“Send in Jessop”, purred Servalan into her communicator.

A man entered, and the Supreme Commander instructed him to sit down.

Servalan, an image in resplendent white, stood up and wandered across to him, playfully touching his collar.

“How are the transmissions progressing?”, she whispered into his ear.

She could see Jessop was a little uncomfortable at having such a high figure in Federation command in close proximity. She smiled at his unease.

“Very well, Supreme Commander. Although there is one issue”. He looked nervous.

“Well, what is it, Jessop?”. She fingered his collar once more.

“It’s about twice as expensive as we projected. Beaming a signal across the whole of Federation space for one recipient is not cheap – especially as we don’t know whether Blake is definitely receiving the dreams into his head.”

“No matter. Budget is not a limitation in this case.” She walked back over to her side of the desk, sat down and produced a file from her draw. “This is the script for Blake’s next dream.” She handed the file to Jessop.

He flicked through and noticed the words Blake, you are the weakest link on the final page.

“And we’re sure that these dreams, if received, will undermine Blake?”

“My psycho-strategists have assured me, on their lives, that it will. You are dismissed, Jessop.”

He couldn’t get out of the her office soon enough. Servalan was incredibly attractive, but he felt her office represented the centre of a spider’s web. One click of her fingers and he would be a fly caught in that web.

After watching the sweating Jessop depart with amusement, Servalan produced another file from her desk and leafed through it. Hardly anyone realised how far she planned in advance.

She had many different plans to capture the Liberator. Some wouldn’t be deployed for years. Projecting nightmares into the head of Blake was a two-part plan. One was to play with his mind. And secondly, it was an experiment for a future plan. Servalan didn’t even know whether it was Blake or another member of the Liberator that she would use it against. But she knew which planet she intended to lure them to.

Servalan looked at the title on the front of the folder: PROJECT TERMINAL.
Edited by trevor travis on 30 November 2015 13:10:23

Anniew
TT lovely end to the month. Sooooo funny! You are the strongest link!

Travisina
Wonderful! A moving piece from Peladon and one from TT that nearly caused a keyboard/coffee interface.

I'll be closing the thread tomorrow morning, to allow midnight to tick over to December in the furthest-flung parts of fandom (West Coast USA?). During December I hope to get some more of the collections put up on the site. Next up will be part 2 of the April challenge...

Thank you again to all you talented and enthusiastic writers who have contributed such wonderful stories. Smile

littlesue
@TT
Warning...do not read your story on a phone while at work....trying to stifle gales of laughter is not good!!!
The Apprentice scenerio was pure brilliance..and then the reason why..Wow.
And Peladon...15 minutes to write such moving stuff. Well done.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
And on that happy note, this thread is locked.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,106,055 unique visits since 8th January 2014