Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
November Fanfic Challenge
Spaceresearcher
To shoot, or not to shoot?
That is the question!
Wether 'tis nobler in the data crystal to suffer
the bank credit cracking of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of Federation Troopers,
and by opposing end them: to blast, to teleport
No more; and by a data reading, to say we travel
The Liberator, and the thousand Natural stars
That Orac is heir to? 'Tis a calculation
Devoutly to be awaited. To wait, to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to conclude; aye, there's the answer,
For in that sleep of calculation, what answers may come,
When we have shuffled off to Cygnus Alpha,
Must give us sickness. There's the antidote
That makes the sickness of so long life:
For who would bear the pain of the Cygnus Alpha sickness,
The God's wrath, the proud priest's revelation,
The panges of crushed bracelet, the Law's delay,
The insolence of disobeydiance, and the consequences.
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might give life.
With a bare white pill? Who would sinew bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of the sickness with no death,
The undiscovered poison, from within the water,
No Blake returns, Solutions he has,
And makes us rather recover those ills we have,
Than fly to other star systems that we know not of.
Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the freedom granted of Teleport Bracelets
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of fake pills,
And enterprises of great mind control and hallucinations,
With this regard their Currents turn awry,
And lose the name of freedom. Hurry you now,
The fair Liberator? Sleek, in thy orbit.
Be all my memories remembered.

Anniew
Ooh clever stuff space ship researcher. Avonlet In angsty mood. Really brings home how much he misses the Liberator. And how lovely to have another contributer to the ficlet challenges!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceresearcher
Anniew wrote:

Ooh clever stuff space ship researcher. Avonlet In angsty mood. Really brings home how much he misses the Liberator. And how lovely to have another contributer to the ficlet challenges!

Thank you Anniew.

meegat39
I love the style of your poem Spaceshipresearcher. Delicious!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
Great stories so far - love Hugbot's humour and Paula's great explanation for Blake's scar.
@ Annie, your story is a beautiful example of a ficlet in its purest form - an effective story told in very few words. Your cigar story is amusing, too - as is Paula's Mal de l'espace. Then back to thought-provoking narrative with Brad and a clever riff on Hamlet's most famous soliloquy from Spaceresearcher - nicely done!

I'm not quite as late to the party as usual, but already have been slightly pipped to to the post by Annie and Paula. Oh well, great minds think alike, and all that...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Icarus

On the cold frontier world where she was born, she had always craved warmth. The first word she learned to say was 'Fire', reaching out a chubby hand toward the hearth.

"No, Arlen," her mother would gently pull her away. "Don't get too close, it will hurt you."

She had no recollection of that, of course, but she did remember growing up fascinated by fire. The rug in front of the fireplace was her favourite place in their modest house, and she would sit with her arms around her knees, day-dreaming as she gazed into the dancing flames. She loved hearing the soft hiss and crackle of the glowing logs, breathing the heady scents rising from aromatic wood.

Ready!
Oh, she had been ready all right. Ambition burned inside her. Her mother had been so proud to wave her off, self-conscious in her stiff new coal-black uniform. Cadet school, military academy, and finally, with only the smallest pang of regret, the severing of all contact with her family and former life as she trained to go deep undercover.

Aim!
She had aimed high. The newly restored President of the Federation had thrown off her ugly alias and reclaimed her rightful position, but there was still the unfinished business of Blake. Space Commander Travis had pursued Blake across the galaxy, but he had failed and now the traitor was dead. He had been good, but Arlen knew she was better. Her rise through the ranks had been meteoric. Officer Arlen - young, hungry, ambitious - was set to follow the path that Travis had forged, but unlike him, she would succeed. She was ablaze with pride when she was charged with the most important mission of her career – to infiltrate Blake's base on Gauda Prime and deliver him to the Federation.

Fire had again proved to be her friend, her ally. The small cooking fire that led her to Blake, the searing pain of the laser blast to her leg that convinced him of her sincerity. Consummate actors, both of them – but she had been the better of the two. She knew who he was; he died not knowing her.

But like Icarus, she had flown too close to the sun. Her meteoric rise was followed by the natural fate of all meteors, falling to the ground as burned-out rock and ash. She knew she had failed the moment she saw Blake's bloody corpse on the floor of the tracking gallery. Then she had been incapacitated by a blow from the least likely of the rebels, Vila Restal. She had believed that he was surrendering to her, but she should have known better than to be fooled by a fool. He was another consummate actor - how else would he have survived all those years, first with Blake and then with Avon?

At her court martial, her very public trial, her failures were listed. The ignominy of being overcome by the weakest of the rebels, the loss of all the prizes she had been charged to bring alive to the President. Especially Avon... they said that his last futile gesture had been to raise his gun, and that he smiled as he did so. But there were no smiles as Arlen was accused of incompetence - even treason - for why else would she allow herself to be rendered unconscious by an unarmed weakling? There were no smiles as her sentence was pronounced.

The wall at her back was cold. She could see her breath in the early morning air. But she had dressed warmly, because she did not want to shiver. She did not want anyone to think that in her final moments she was afraid. She lifted her chin and looked over the heads of the black-clad troopers. The sun was beginning to edge over the horizon. She thought briefly of Avon, wondering what he had been thinking as he smiled. Then she allowed herself a smile of her own. How ironic, she thought, that the first word she had learned to say would be the last one she heard.

Fire!

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Oh, well done, Travisina.

meegat39
Ooh a sad story Travisina. I never expected to feel sympathy for Arlen, but that is exactly what I ended up feeling, great writing!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

littlesue
@Travisina
That is soooo good and the end...I had a tear in the old eye here. Just perfect.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Ellen York
Travisina, that an interesting look at Arlen. I hadn't really thought about what happened to her after Gauda Prime. And you manage to make her a surprisingly sympathetic character.

trevor travis
RETURN OF THE PRODIGAL SON

The Liberator sailed serenely through the inky void of space, a beautiful vision in shining white and glowing green. However, on board things were not quite so placid.

A heated discussion was taking place on the ship’s elegant flight deck. It involved the small red object under the glass inspection dome, which sat just in front of Zen.

“It’s a tomayto”, insisted Avon.

“Nonsense, it’s a tomahto”, countered Tarrant.

Cally and Dayna sighed, while Vila took a slug of Adrenalin & Soma.

Cally thought to herself: “We really need something to do; a new mission. I wish Blake was back.”

Later, it was the period allocated as night-time on the Liberator.

Vila should have been on watch, but he was asleep on the sofa on the flight deck, bottle in hand.

No-one heard the ship dock and then a man emerge.

As he suspected, none of the ship’s security systems had operated. Avon hadn’t deleted his authorisation.

The man put his plan into action. A mild bit of deliberate sabotage in the teleport section. Enough for Zen to send whoever was on the flight deck to take a look.

He pulled out the wires... there, that would do. He crouched out of sight, and waited for a yawning Vila to pass.

The man headed for the flight deck.

“Zen, it’s me!”, said the man.

The lights on the wall-based computer lit up as it spoke. ++CONFIRM IDENTIFICATION++

“You know who am I, Zen.”

++CONFIRM IDENTIFICATION++

“Blake. Roj Blake.”

++VOCAL RECORD MATCHES THAT IN MEMORY BANK++

“Look Zen. I need your help. I don’t want Avon and the others to know I’m back.”

++PLEASE GIVE REASON FOR THIS DECEPTION++

“I’m tired of fighting, Zen. I’ve spent the last few months trying to unite the factions of the resistance following the war, and to be honest, it’s worse than fighting the Federation. I’ve had enough of it, Zen. Enough. In any case, you’re programmed to protect me and accept my orders. Unless it threatens the safety of the ship. And me hiding on the ship is no threat to anyone. Therefore, I need a place where I can hide, and come out and steal a bit of food every now and again without being detected.”

++IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HIDE IN THE INSPECTION CHANNELS BELOW FLOOR LEVEL++

“Good idea, Zen.”

Blake started to head for the nearest such panel, just outside the flight deck, when he heard approaching footsteps. Vila. Within seconds, he would see him. Blake needed to hide. Quickly. At that moment, he noticed a panel close to Zen seemed to spring open. He pushed himself through the narrow gap as Vila emerged onto the flight deck, and then closed the panel as quietly as he could behind him.

“Welcome Roj Blake!” said a voice.

Blake whirled around. And was astonished by what he saw. There was a whole room here. A hidden room.

The biggest shock, though, was that the room was occupied.

A man, around 60 years old with white hair, approached Blake and shook his hand.

“Who the hell are you?”, asked Blake.

“I thought was obvious!”, said the old man, “I am Zen!”

TO BE CONTINUED...

NEXT EPISODE: ZEN'S DEN.
Edited by trevor travis on 14 November 2015 15:11:53

Spaceship Dispatcher
Excellent TT, very good. Blake was spot on imo Grin

So the facade of the Zen computer works like the face of the Goddess Amdo? Wink
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
LOL, TT

BradPaula
Interesting, TT. I was half expecting Blake to see Peter T. greeting him with a bottle of beer in one hand, a microphone in the other.

Note: It's pronounced tomayto FYI. Angry
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

Tu-mar-tow

Just FYI Angry

Grin Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

JustBrad
Or in the American deep south tuh-MAY-ter

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Tu-mar-tow

Just FYI Angry

Grin Grin

"You say to-may-toe, I say to-mot-o. Let's call the whole thing off." (Very old song!) But I do remember you saying to me when we were arguing about some word's pronunciation, that what we were speaking was called 'English"** and I never forgot that, so I defer to you! LOL Grin

**Although many of my fellow countrymen would probably say they speak "American" and that we don't really speak the same language as you do, I disagree. But that's a whole other can of worms... or woirms, as they would say in Brooklyn New York......**
Edited by BradPaula on 13 November 2015 21:54:31
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

...But that's a whole other can of worms... or woirms, as they would say in Brooklyn New York......**

ROFL Grin Grin

Anniew
Lovely look at Arlen, Travisina! Made a wooden characterisation come to life.

And TT brilliant! Can't wait for the sequel! Xx
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
Slowly catching up after some busy and confusing weeks ... and there are already so many funny and intriguing stories!

@Paula: Mal de l’espace is rather graphical but nonetheless amusing. Now at last we get to the core of the running gag with the Auron Veggie Chili Burgers! Fire in the Eye perfectly catches the atmosphere, and it was very interesting to read about the beginnings of Blake’s bounty hunter schemes. So the first chapter of his GP business began exactly as the last one? How very telling! It was doomed from the beginning.

@Annie: Loved the funny tobacco story, and the second one is outstanding: telling Avon’s story by sketching a chain of intense ‘now’ moments. Such an impact with such a few words!

@Brad: Fascinating AR story. It could have happened exactly this way. Makes one wonder if Avon wasn’t too cautious!

@SR: Clever stuff, I really liked that. Welcome aboard this fool’s ship of a ‘bonkers bunch of scribes’!

@Travisina: That was extraordinary. Depicting a rather shallow character so that she suddenly gets great depth. Loved the Icarus allusion and the way you wove the commands of the firing squads into the storyline.

@TT: Noooooooooooo! Not another ‘to be continued’ story! I am still waiting for the continuation of your Soolin story! Again, this piece is full of great ideas, from the tomato banter at the beginning to the surreal appearance of Zen. Loved it. But have a heart and give us the second part, will you?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,932,644 unique visits since 8th January 2014