Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 1
daro2096

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Spotted........
Joe Dredd
That MIAS episode is from 1967 or 1968, which just goes to show that Ms. Pearce had her trademark short hairstyle a long time before B7 began. It's also the episode where the director got in trouble for overspending his budget. The end result does look good however, so no surprises that Network picked it for one of their Blu-ray samplers.

The MIAS theme is one of my favourites too, littlesue. Network, the people who released it on DVD have the soundtrack out on CD and also on a new high quality LP!

Here's another great theme: Yorkshire TV's "The Main Chance".

Edit: typo.
Edited by Joe Dredd on 09 February 2014 04:00:46

Sopron
No good for screen grabs, but I'd been listening to an old sit-com about a British embassy in a cold-war era eastern bloc state; Flying the Flag on R4xtra. Thoroughly enjoyed the interplay between Dinsdale Landon as the ambassador and his US counterpart, Spiro, then discovered that the voice of Spiro was the lovely Mr. Grief.

Didn't have a clue!

littlesue
Joe Dredd wrote:

That MIAS episode is from 1967 or 1968, which just goes to show that Ms. Pearce had her trademark short hairstyle a long time before B7 began. It's also the episode where the director got in trouble for overspending his budget. The end result does look good however, so no surprises that Network picked it for one of their Blu-ray samplers.

The MIAS theme is one of my favourites too, littlesue. Network, the people who released it on DVD have the soundtrack out on CD and also on a new high quality LP!

Here's another great theme: Yorkshire TV's "The Main Chance".

Edit: typo.

The CD I have is called 'This is Easy' (Themes for the In Crowd).
It comes on the Virgin label, but the number is so small, I can't read it properly. But it has everything on it...including the Pearl & Dean music!!!
Puts me straight back into the Gaumont Cinema with me tub of ice cream, wooden spoon, (to eat said ice cream) and my container of Kiora orange juice.
Ah Bliss...
Now when is that second feature going to start??

I used to love The Main Chance, especially when David's voice used to break slightly in mid sentance
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Joe Dredd
littlesue wrote:
Puts me straight back into the Gaumont Cinema with me tub of ice cream, wooden spoon, (to eat said ice cream) and my container of Kiora orange juice.

It's too orangey for crows!

littlesue wrote:
I used to love The Main Chance, especially when David's voice used to break slightly in mid sentance

His voice does nothing for me, but his secretary is lovely!

scorpiogirl
sheila ruskin - alta1 (redemption) in an episode of the professionals called "cry wolf".....i think half the B7 cast must have been in the professionals..... Grin

Joe Dredd
scorpiogirl wrote:i think half the B7 cast must have been in the professionals..... :D

I watched them all when the Contender sets came out and it seemed to me that half the cast of The Bill had been in it! And Pierce Brosnan.

briggsy1
The Professionals is another one of my favourite all time shows.

scorpiogirl
Joe Dredd wrote:

scorpiogirl wrote:i think half the B7 cast must have been in the professionals..... Grin

I watched them all when the Contender sets came out and it seemed to me that half the cast of The Bill had been in it! And Pierce Brosnan.

pierce brosnan???? are yopu kidding me?? i hadn't noticed.....do you know which episode? i have the boxset and must investigate this.....
thanks for the tip off.....
Smile

scorpiogirl
briggsy1 wrote:

The Professionals is another one of my favourite all time shows.

me too briggsy - i still love watching it - was gutted when i heard about lewis collins..at least i have my boxset.....
Smile

Joe Dredd
scorpiogirl wrote:
pierce brosnan???? are yopu kidding me?? i hadn't noticed.....do you know which episode? i have the boxset and must investigate this.....
:)

He's a CI5 radio operator in "Blood Sports" (the same episode Ruby Wax is in). He's only in one scene; reputedly the fee paid his airfare to the US allowing him to break into the big time.

Here's the scene on Youtube: Click!. It's not great quality - that's young Pierce in the foreground at the start, in case you can't tell. It's more obvious on the DVDs that it's him.

Incidentally, the long lost negatives for the Professionals have finally been found, allowing the show to be re-released in better quality than it's ever been seen. Network are going all out and releasing it on Blu-ray as well as DVD, with a swag of extras: e.g. here's the deluxe BR edition with limited edition book.

Have a look at the video on this page to see the difference in quality to the existing DVDs: Comparison.

The detail and colour is much better, and there is more picture (the picture we have now is cropped). There are also a couple of pictures under the video. You can flick your mouse over these to see the difference between the existing and new versions. And you can see a bit more of the new transfer here and here.

scorpiogirl
Joe Dredd wrote:

scorpiogirl wrote:
Smile

He's a CI5 radio operator in "Blood Sports" (the same episode Ruby Wax is in). He's only in one scene; reputedly the fee paid his airfare to the US allowing him to break into the big time.

Here's the scene on Youtube: Click!. It's not great quality - that's young Pierce in the foreground at the start, in case you can't tell. It's more obvious on the DVDs that it's him.

Incidentally, the long lost negatives for the Professionals have finally been found, allowing the show to be re-released in better quality than it's ever been seen. Network are going all out and releasing it on Blu-ray as well as DVD, with a swag of extras: e.g. here's the deluxe BR edition with limited edition book.

Have a look at the video on this page to see the difference in quality to the existing DVDs: Comparison.

The detail and colour is much better, and there is more picture (the picture we have now is cropped). There are also a couple of pictures under the video. You can flick your mouse over these to see the difference between the existing and new versions. And you can see a bit more of the new transfer here and here.

OMG joe - you are a positive treasure trove of information!!!
the delux set looks amazing but the remastered tapes are incredible - what a difference!! couldn't believe it - it really looks as if it has lost that "70's" feel and was shot yesterday - how geat would it be to obtain one of those 2500 sets...i wonder how much they would cost....worth it though...i would never have believed that that much of a difference would be possible ..gobsmacked..
thank you SO SO SO much for that info - really fascinating..
and i would defo not have recognized pierce GrinGrin he is so young there and it didn't even sound like him..i think i must watch all this stuff with my eyes shut...... i'm so unobservant at times....
keep all there little gems of info coming on this thread..turning out to be an education...
Smile

Joe Dredd
scorpiogirl wrote:
how great would it be to obtain one of those 2500 sets...i wonder how much they would cost....worth it though

There are three versions planned - DVD, Blu-ray, and deluxe Blu-ray with the limited edition photo book. See here: Click!

According to Network's site, the prices will be DVD - 17.35, BR - 27.56 and deluxe BR 69.99. (I believe the cost of licencing the photos is rather pricey. The photos printed in the book are exclusive to the book and won't be included in the stills gallery on the discs.) They all have lots of extras, including the 1996 Without Walls documentary which I believe is the one with Lew & MS talking about the show.

It's possible that prices from on line retailers, in sales etc will be lower and I imagine they'll be done as a box set at some stage. Not sure whether the limited edition will be reduced or offered again though. Amazon UK already have the DVD and standard BR listed; the DVD is currently a little bit more and the BR is a little bit less than Network's own site.

scorpiogirl wrote:
...i would never have believed that that much of a difference would be possible ..gobsmacked..

I know, it's stunning isn't it? I've seen similar with some of the ITC series (like The Prisoner) that have been re-transferred for BR release. Because they were shot on 35mm film, they capture a superb level of detail that wasn't visible on broadcast, or in subsequent DVD releases. If you look at the screencaps I did earlier in the thread for "Man in a Suitcase" and "Hadleigh", you can see the difference between the two - MAIS was another ITC series that is infinitely improved just because we now have the equipment at home to see the quality it was captured in to begin with.

The Pros had the added problem that no one could find the negatives so there was nothing to go back to in order to strike a new print. Every release has been from the same grubby copies already in existence, with no way to reinstate anything that had been removed or cropped.

When the Beatles albums were remastered a few years ago I heard a comment that it was like looking at the Mona Lisa again after someone had scraped the centuries-old grime off it. When I see the 'new' Pros footage it makes me think of that remark!

scorpiogirl wrote:
and i would defo not have recognized pierce :D:D he is so young there and it didn't even sound like him

It's easier to pick him on the DVD - that youtube video from someone's off-air recording is pretty lo-fi.

scorpiogirl wrote:
..i think i must watch all this stuff with my eyes shut...... i'm so unobservant at times....

Or perhaps, er, more focused on the main characters? (to better follow the storyline as it unfolds, of course!)

scorpiogirl wrote:
keep all there little gems of info coming on this thread..turning out to be an education...
:)

I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but THE best book on the series is the brilliant 'The Professionals' by Bob Rocca. It's a great book but he couldn't get the publisher he wanted interested. He had to go with a smaller organisation and as a result the quality of the book - e.g. reproduction of photos - isn't that great. It's out of print now and copies change hands for silly money, but the good news is it's being reprinted soon to piggyback off the new DVD/BR releases. I believe it's a different publisher too, so it should be affordable and a decent quality.
Edited by Joe Dredd on 16 February 2014 00:29:50

President Solvite
Christopher Neame - Col. Quute - Ghostbusters II (Maitre d' )
Ric Young - Ginka - You only live twice (Chinese Ambassador?)
Edited by Angry Angel on 16 February 2014 23:01:36

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
scorpiogirl
Joe Dredd wrote:
I don't know if it's your cup of tea, but THE best book on the series is the brilliant 'The Professionals' by Bob Rocca. It's a great book but he couldn't get the publisher he wanted interested. He had to go with a smaller organisation and as a result the quality of the book - e.g. reproduction of photos - isn't that great. It's out of print now and copies change hands for silly money, but the good news is it's being reprinted soon to piggyback off the new DVD/BR releases. I believe it's a different publisher too, so it should be affordable and a decent quality.

oooh it's exactly my cup of tea - i do like companion books and that one sounds like a corker - will defo keep my eyes peeled for that..
thannks joe Smile

Hugbot
Just as an addendum to yesterday's rewatch: Ronald Lacey, Avon's "old friend" Tynus in Killer, appeared once as Siegfried's old friend Stewie Brannon in All Creatures Great and Small (where he got Siegfried hopelessly drunk). The episode in question is "The Last Furlong" (series 1, episode 9).

And while we are at it: In the Creatures episode "Faint Hearts" (s2, ep. 6) we have Piri as the daughter of Captain Leylan and the love interest of the Fifth Doctor. Sounds like some weird cross-over fanfic, I'm afraid. (She is a bit OTT in this episode ... why am I not surprised?)

scorpiogirl
Hugbot wrote:

Just as an addendum to yesterday's rewatch: Ronald Lacey, Avon's "old friend" Tynus in Killer, appeared once as Siegfried's old friend Stewie Brannon in All Creatures Great and Small (where he got Siegfried hopelessly drunk). The episode in question is "The Last Furlong" (series 1, episode 9).

And while we are at it: In the Creatures episode "Faint Hearts" (s2, ep. 6) we have Piri as the daughter of Captain Leylan and the love interest of the Fifth Doctor. Sounds like some weird cross-over fanfic, I'm afraid. (She is a bit OTT in this episode ... why am I not surprised?)

what a good spot!! i am a MASSIVE james herriot fan and love all creatures - i hadn't noticed ronald lacey - brilliant!
obviously, ronald turns up as another villain in indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark....typecast??? i'm sure i saw him in something else too -which escapes me at the moment - also as the bad guy......tragic that he died reasonably soon after this..

littlesue
scorpiogirl wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

what a good spot!! i am a MASSIVE james herriot fan and love all creatures - i hadn't noticed ronald lacey - brilliant!
obviously, ronald turns up as another villain in indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark....typecast??? i'm sure i saw him in something else too -which escapes me at the moment - also as the bad guy......tragic that he died reasonably soon after this..

Well just going through his entry on the ImBD....he has appeared in everything that I have ever watched since we got our telly in 1963. He even appeared in Emergency Ward 10 (and no, I can't actually remember every show I have ever watched!) but do you think this is where he met Mr D? Which may explain why they were both trying to get the other to corpse while doing their scenes in Killer!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Joe Dredd
I'm still getting through "The Main Chance", and have just seen Hower, the First Citizen of Obsidian, together with Durkim in the episode "One for the House".

As usual, Derek Smith continues to follow me around, appearing a couple of episodes earlier in "Choice of Jungles".

Joe Dredd
I had no difficulty recognising Michael Gough:

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/MCOnefortheHouse2_zpse70bb82d.jpg

Joe Dredd
...but it took ages to place John Bown with a beard.

"I know that voice!"

i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/Dash_Decent/MCOnefortheHouse1_zps89181704.jpg

"May I offer you my personal congratulations and loyalty, Madam President?"

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,113,858 unique visits since 8th January 2014