Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Spotted........
Travisina
benji2 wrote:

Apologies if this show has been featured, but...Wanna scare the kids (and the adults)? Show them this classic series from '76, Children of the Stones:
http://youtu.be/b...

Featuring one G.Thomas as the main protagonist, rebelling (hmm..) against Iain Cuthbertson the town squire. Was creeped out then, got the DVD now and am still creeped out

Hi benji2,

Further creeping will be available soon - when the audiobook of 'Children of the Stones', read by Gareth Thomas is released by Fantom Films!
http://www.fantom...stones.htm
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

benji2
Travisina wrote:

benji2 wrote:

Apologies if this show has been featured, but...Wanna scare the kids (and the adults)? Show them this classic series from '76, Children of the Stones:
http://youtu.be/b...

Featuring one G.Thomas as the main protagonist, rebelling (hmm..) against Iain Cuthbertson the town squire. Was creeped out then, got the DVD now and am still creeped out

Hi benji2,

Further creeping will be available soon - when the audiobook of 'Children of the Stones', read by Gareth Thomas is released by Fantom Films!
http://www.fantom...stones.htm

Cool! Where's that 'Shut up and take my money' GIF when you need it? Wink

briggsy1
I think David Fisher nicked elements of Children of the Stones for his Dr.Who story Stones of Blood in '78. I remember being scared by the latter on it's first broadcast, when the people touched the stones and immediately had their life esscence drained out of them. Scary concept for a kid's show.

winnie-l
Watched 2nd TheProfessionals ep bcast 6 Jan 1978, "The Female Factor", an ugly story of KGB entrapment of a UK MP using an underage (drug addict) prostitute. Her mother: Ann Seaford, also prostitute, was played by Pamela Salem (played Kara in 03.CygnusAlpha) - alas, brutally murdered; & her friend (also prozzie) Jo played by Sally Harrison = Lauren, Dayna's foster sister in 27.Aftermath (brutally murdered by Sarrans on Aristo)....
pattern here?!

rojkerr1
Pacey in Foyles war episode The Hide

meegat39
Denis Carey - Docholli as the Old Man in Timelash also Gunn Sarr (I forget his actor name now) and of course, the handsome Paul Darrow as Tekker
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

briggsy1
Gunn Sarr, played by the wonderful Dicken Ashworth who also had a role in one of my favourite childhood films, Krull. A great fantasy adventure movie though sadly underrated imo.

meegat39
briggsy1 wrote:

Gunn Sarr, played by the wonderful Dicken Ashworth who also had a role in one of my favourite childhood films, Krull. A great fantasy adventure movie though sadly underrated imo.

Yes that's the one! I knew somebody would oblige Grin Thanks Briggsy
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Space Chopper
meegat39 wrote:

Denis Carey - Docholli as the Old Man in Timelash also Gunn Sarr (I forget his actor name now) and of course, the handsome Paul Darrow as Tekker

It's worth watching again with the actor's commentary on- it's hilarious! Paul mentions to Colin that his portrayal of Tekker was based on Richard III and deliberately hammed up to chew the scenery, in revenge for being upstaged by Colin chewing the scenery as Bayban in B7!
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

winnie-l
Watched TheProfessionals ep #5 bcast 27 Jan 1978. Good & fast-paced! with Damien Thomas (Atlan in Blake's 7 43.StarDrive) as the Chief Baddie. In his group-of-bads is also Jonathan David who played Keller (Servalan's ex-lover) in Blake's 7 48.Sand. (Jonathan David also played Stratton in DrWho#6: Attack of the Cybermen - darn good show!)

A bit wearying how the show "returns to original" all the time. In this episode, a new hotshot joins the Bodie + Doyle team, & you think, "Oh good, he's sharp with some witty lines & an Attitude - this'll add to the Group Dynamics"............... not. Boo.

winnie-l
Watched TheProfessionals ep #8 bcast 17 Feb 1978. A nicely surreal episode, with lots of tension, vivid characters, & darn good storyline.

Wife (of corrupted policeman) Mrs Turner was played by Kathleen Byron, who was Clonemaster Fen in Blake's 7 16.Weapon.

Police guard Hamer was not recognizable as a 1953 YoungMan (is it the wig?!), but very recognizable as a 1980's retired policeman-turned-BigGameHunter - Horizon fans, I give you: ZUKAN!
seis.bris.ac.uk/~phpwl/prof.vol2.a8.zukan.jpg
Hamer: Roy Boyd
Blake's 7 51.Warlord: Zukan: Roy Boyd

Question for UK experts: at one point Bodie mentions "Room 101" as symbol of fear (assume: from book 1984, where Room 101 was the horrible torture room).

But more recently (in the UK) "Room 101" is heard as a humourous reference, some place you put things you no longer want. Or something like that.

Was there some UK TV show (? last 20 years?) that used "Room 101" in the latter spoofy sense? What was that show & when was it on?

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

Was there some UK TV show (? last 20 years?) that used "Room 101" in the latter spoofy sense? What was that show & when was it on?

Yes indeed, 'Room 101' is a BBC TV show in which celebrities are invited to confine the things they hate into Room 101, thereby banishing them forever. More info here, if you're interested: http://en.wikiped...TV_series)

It's interesting that the two most frightening concepts from Orwell's '1984' - Big Brother and Room 101 - have now been turned into reality TV and comedy for the masses. And one other fascinating factoid: the original Room 101 in '1984' was named after a meeting room in BBC's Broadcasting House where Orwell would sit through tedious meetings. What goes around...

rojkerr1
Two Ronnies series 8, the worm that turned matriarchal comedy, all the kinky leather clad females are using clipguns!

winnie-l
Travisina wrote:
Yes indeed, 'Room 101' is a BBC TV show in which celebrities are invited to confine the things they hate into Room 101, thereby banishing them forever.
Thanks for the pointer, looked it up - it was a successful radio show, then an even more successful TV show! Never saw it, too bad.
It's interesting that the two most frightening concepts from Orwell's '1984' - Big Brother and Room 101 - have now been turned into reality TV and comedy for the masses.
You're right, that *is* interesting! Worth of an essay or a newspaper article (or has it been done...?).
It's rumoured out there that one way to conquer/diminsh a fear is to make fun of it, so that makes sense.

winnie-l
Instead of telling you who this is - well I recognized him right away - do you?
Not even finished watching it yet, it's a pretty interesting/exciting movie so far!
From: The Challenge aka It Takes A Thief, 1960 (Jayne Mansfield, Anthony Quayle)
seis.bris.ac.uk/~phpwl/challenge.coser2.jpgseis.bris.ac.uk/~phpwl/challenge.coser4.jpg
seis.bris.ac.uk/~phpwl/challenge.coser5.jpg

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

Travisina wrote:
'Room 101' is a BBC TV show in which celebrities are invited to confine the things they hate into Room 101, thereby banishing them forever.

Never saw it, too bad.

There loads of clips on YouTube, if you're able to access them?

Travisina wrote:
It's interesting that the two most frightening concepts from Orwell's '1984' - Big Brother and Room 101 - have now been turned into reality TV and comedy for the masses.

winnie-l wrote:
You're right, that *is* interesting! Worth of an essay or a newspaper article (or has it been done...?).

I don't know if it's been done (I'd be surprised if it hasn't), but I have read an article comparing the future visions of '1984' and 'Brave New World' - the dystopia in which information is suppressed, compared with the one that trivialises it. The conclusion was that despite all the cameras monitoring our every move (in the UK, at any rate) we are actually living in the 'Brave New World' version of mass information. But what neither Orwell nor Huxley predicted was how eagerly we all would be sharing - and trivialising - personal information on a global scale.

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

Instead of telling you who this is - well I recognized him right away - do you?
Not even finished watching it yet, it's a pretty interesting/exciting movie so far!
From: The Challenge aka It Takes A Thief, 1960 (Jayne Mansfield, Anthony Quayle)

Easy! I'm rubbish at recognising people, but even I know who it was Grin

Travisina
I love finding discussions of B7 in other - non SF - publications. Here's an article in yesterday's Guardian about the best and worst ways to end a TV series.

http://www.thegua...best-worst

Not mentioned in the article itself (which focuses on recent series - Breaking Bad, Lost etc), but scroll down through the comments to find really enthusiastic B7 - and Blackadder - discussions headed by 'NorthernJo'.

Joe Dredd
"The Sopranos violent cut to black in the middle of a scene was the most original finale to date and one that still gets people talking...it is the ultimate fill in the blank, something that had never been done before and probably will never be again."

It must be great being able to write about TV without having to bother knowing anything about it. If it was before your time or is just too old (or not American), it doesn't matter!

rojkerr1
The guardian guy is singularly ill informed

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.68 seconds
9,091,044 unique visits since 8th January 2014