Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 1
SmegheadChey

· Total Rebels: 1,181
· Newest Rebel: MylordAvon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [23 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
8% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [24 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [18 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 166
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Spotted........
Joe Dredd
i.imgur.com/PB1j32H.png

Joe Dredd
Here's one for the GT fans (Hi Bunn1cula!).

Gareth Thomas plays Tom Lewis in "The Bankrupt", a 1972 episode of "Public Eye".

"Public Eye" stars Alfred Burke as Frank Marker, an honest - and consequently poor - public enquiry agent.

i.imgur.com/A4ktjrn.png

As a kid it fascinated me that everyone on British telly left their milk out on the bench. Even the corner shops seemed to keep their tins of soft drink stacked up on a shelf instead of refrigerating them like we do here in Australia, and of course there's the famous 'warm' beer. I used to think, "That's how cold it is in Britain - no one needs a fridge!"

As usual, a couple of clicks will make the picture bigger and bigger.

Joe Dredd
Tom Lewis, owner of a car hire and chauffeuring business, has loaned some money to a man called Hayden-Peters. It doesn't look like Lewis will get his money back as the other man is broke.

Marker is unhappy but stoic, having been fooled into recommending Hayden-Peters credit worthiness on an earlier job.

i.imgur.com/0HimpDL.png

On the way to Hayden-Peters bankruptsy hearing, Lewis notices the other man's Rolls Royce parked on a double yellow line.

Joe Dredd
...which he points out to a nearby traffic warden.

i.imgur.com/hzLiNub.png

Joe Dredd
It turns out Lewis has been romantically involved with Hayden-Peters wife, Sandra.

i.imgur.com/PCMUNjt.png

Joe Dredd
It was Sandra that suggested Lewis loan her husband the money.

Lewis suggests she kicks Hayden-Peters out of the family home to create more opportunities for themselves.

i.imgur.com/jOFQrgX.png

Joe Dredd
Things seem to be looking up for Tom Lewis.

i.imgur.com/Qvdflrm.png

Joe Dredd
Marker isn't so sure.

i.imgur.com/0AgqMRM.png

You can see the end-of-part indicator showing in the top-right corner. Ad break coming up!

Joe Dredd
Lewis is disappointed when he drives Hayden-Peters and his wife to and from a restaurant but things don't go as he planned.

Marker however is intrigued to learn that the bankrupt has paid for the meal with a cheque.

i.imgur.com/NDLTOPs.png

Joe Dredd
Hayden-Peters secret bank account is revealed in court, then his car is taken away by the sheriff. Lewis is pleased that the other man has got his come-uppance, until he learns that Sandra isn't interested in seeing him anymore.

Gareth's last words in the show are to Frank Marker: "Do you fancy a drink?"

i.imgur.com/oRZ2KSk.png

Travisina
These are brilliant, JD - all of them! Thanks for posting Smile

(We keep our milk in the fridge Wink )
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Joe Dredd
You do now...! : D

Thanks T. I'd hoped to do one a day over December as a parallel with the Advent thread but it didn't happen. I've still got a few more up my sleeve if I'm not hogging the thread too much. I used to try to make sure I only did a handful of pictures for each show, but it's always so hard to choose what to lose - and these are just a fraction of the screengrabs I took for each.

Coincidentally, after I posted the last entry I had a look at the DVD of a series called "A Bit of a Do" DVD by David Nobbs. The extra on it is "Dogfood Dan and the Carnavan (I'm bound to have got that wrong) Cowboy" - and would you believe it? It stars Gareth Thomas!

I wonder if anyone knows which shows the two 'orphan' Paul Darrow pics are from?

Bunn1cula
Hello, Joe! Grin And yes, thank you for the screen caps once again. Any GT is always a day-brightener for me!

Also, Public Eye had so many terrific guest stars, didnít it? And it was quite a good show - every episode Iíve watched on YT for one actor or another has been great. And Marker is a wonderful character.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/bunn1cula
Anniew
By orphan pictures do you mean the two from the Flaxton Boys
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

One Spare Part
Bunn1cula wrote:

Hello, Joe! Grin And yes, thank you for the screen caps once again. Any GT is always a day-brightener for me!

Also, Public Eye had so many terrific guest stars, didnít it? And it was quite a good show - every episode Iíve watched on YT for one actor or another has been great. And Marker is a wonderful character.

Totally agree with you about Public Eye. For a show that wasn't really action based, it had enthralling storylines. Unpredictable in a good way. Marker is one of TV's great characters. We watched it pn Talking Pictures then bought the box set and watched it again, back to back.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

By orphan pictures do you mean the two from the Flaxton Boys

I'm going to give you half a point Annie because only one is from the Flaxton Boys - but well done for identifying it!

Joe Dredd
Bunn1cula wrote:
Hello, Joe! :D And yes, thank you for the screen caps once again. Any GT is always a day-brightener for me!

Always happy to oblige. I'd better find some more!

Bunn1cula wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:
Totally agree with you about Public Eye. For a show that wasn't really action based, it had enthralling storylines. Unpredictable in a good way. Marker is one of TV's great characters. We watched it on Talking Pictures then bought the box set and watched it again, back to back.

"Public Eye" is one of those excellent series that should be better known (like "Secret Army" for example). I'm sure I remember watching one episode where Marker spent about five minutes mucking about with a gas ring and a tin of instant coffee. Eerily fascinating for some reason. He's also very inventive at getting information out of people. And as I mentioned elsewhere, I love that Alfred Burke appears in "The Tiger that Came to Tea".

One Spare Part
That was a really interesting piece of info about that book. I meant to say at the time! I went work and found the book to see for myself (I work in a library)... it was weird but he is recognisable, for sure.
There are a few scenes in which Marker in which he messes about with coffee etc. A running joke, methinks, but I know the scene to which you refer. Fascinating, as Spock would say.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Joe Dredd
It's partly seeing the way we used to do things (kettles on hobs, with steam whistle ends) but also that he fits his (ordinary) life around his work. Not every telephone call is made from the desk in his office. There's another episode where he is waiting on someone on the phone in his kitchen, and he hops back and forwards between his saucepan and the phone. Sounds banal, but tt's just got a certain ... something. "True to life" isn't quite on the mark(er), but something like that. Realism?

Joe Dredd
James Mitchell's other brilliant TV series, "When the Boat Comes In" has a main role for Paul Darrow in "A Pillowful of Buttercups", the third episode of the second series (BBC 1976).

i.imgur.com/nq1BrnS.jpg

As usual, click for a bigger view. (Am I making them too big?)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.89 seconds
25,031,698 unique visits since 8th January 2014