Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
Lurena
BradPaula wrote:

sweevo wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Lurena wrote:

The two-part Terry Pratchett's Going Postal !

Wasn't that good, Lurena? I especially liked David Suchet in it. I only wish they would do more of Pratchett's novels, especially the Guards ones. If ever there was someone to play Vimes, it's Paul Darrow. -Paula

Two of Terry Pratchett's novels - Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters - were adapted into animated serials back in 1996-97 (animated in the style of a Philips CD-I cut-scene complete with funny voice acting).

You are correct, Sweevo, and thanks for mentioning them. We have them both. What I really love is the live action films of Pratchett's. -paula

Thank you for mentioning Sweevo, I didn 't know about their existence.

And yes, Paula, I very much enjoyed Going Postal and David Suchet.
I would love to have more of Pratchett, though I've read most of the books.
I think I must have a download of a recording of Mr Darrow as Vimes in a theatre adaption. somewhere stored. Must look for it and then watch!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Henry Eggleton
Just finisher Thor The Dark World
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Spaceship Dispatcher
Salmon Fishing on the Yemen - no doubt that plot wise (in relation to the titular scheme involving the fish) its a clever story and beautifully filmed with strong performances all around. The film weaves the fantasy aspect of the project, the lives of the characters, fairly deep discussions about religion and faith, and current political affairs surrounding Middle East/Western relations and the war in Afghanistan together. This results in very British kind of 'comedy' with as much bitter as sweet, and is complex and dark in places while still being witty and light in others. But like many films in the 'romantic comedy' genre, it uses a lot of soft focus and alternately bouncy/melancholy music to stir the emotions of viewers and (try to) make you feel close to the needs, desires, despair and joy of the central characters. That's the genre, which is reasonable enough - and on the face of things, this is about a scientist (Ewan McGregor) from the government and an advisor (Emily Blunt) at the company representing the Yemeni Sheikh's interests finding true love in each other's arms; cue emotive and sentimental music and camerawork in the final moments. However... Dr Alfred Jones is married to Mary Jones and despite the story he spins to Harriet Chetwode-Talbot (Blunt) about being virtually estranged from his wife, the performance Rachael Stirling gives is definately of a woman sincere about her marriage and in love with this man with an attitude problem (Fred is consistantly rude and obtuse throughout the film) through thick and thin - and pleads with him not to leave her. Similarly, Harriet is in a long term relationship with an army Captain who goes missing in action. When he returns, this places her in the awkward position of having two lovers and a difficult life changing choice; cue violins. Basically, the film demands your sympathy for these two unfaithful people running out on the people who love them for a what's little more than an office fling! I just wanted to push them in the river with the salmon.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 02 March 2014 08:18:33
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
sweevo wrote:
Two of Terry Pratchett's novels - Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters - were adapted into animated serials back in 1996-97.

I really like the soundtrack for Soul Music. They did a good job of the musical pastiches.

sweevo
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (all three games as a single cut-scene film).

Spaceship Dispatcher
Not Another Happy Ending - okay, lets get the start out of the way first because this is a great film; but the first 16 minutes are awful! Awkward, stilted, incongruous and rushed in order to introduce all the characters and get to the main plot as quickly as possible. After the status quo is established for the rest of the movie it becomes an emotionally deep, dark, quirky, melancholy masterpiece of Scottish drama. And it definately is Scottish, proud of it and all the better for it as there's an atmosphere about the film itself that is uniquely 'North of the border' in nature. Karen Gillan essentially plays Amy Pond by a different name: her personality, mood swings, fragility, fierce tempers, tears of joy, Scots humour, the wide eyes and the exaggerated expressiveness - its all here and instantly recognisable. Three cast members from the excellent BBC period drama Young James Herriot are reunited here as Iain De Caestecker, Garry Lewis and Amy Manson (also in Torchwood and Outcasts) join Karen Gillan and French actor Stanley Weber. There are some nice reflective moments and much of the background plot of the characters is quite dark and tragic, with the narrative of the film playing with these themes and how the lead character Jane Lockhart learns to express her past in her writing; but how this then leads to reconciliation with her alcoholic father after he finds himself recreated as a character in the book. This weaving together of fiction and reality is one of the more interesting elements of the story as it crosses the boundary into fantasy fiction that would be perfectly at home in Doctor Who or other such shows. The main character from Jane's second novel enters the 'real world' when Jane gets writers' block and is unable to write the last chapter. This is not a vision, although Darcie (Amy Manson) is only visible to Jane, but is more like a Randall and Hopkirk scenario where the invisible character is able to interact with the real world; only to a greater degree than Marty Hopkirk as Darcie picks things up and moves them around, but only Jane can see her and appears to be talking (and shouting, this is Karen Gillan) to herself when conversing with her. It is in these fantasy sections, the interaction between Jane and Darcie, that Karen is at her best and shows the value of her experience of making unreal dramatic scenarios convincing on screen. The film itself does have a few twists and turns at the end too, so its not predictable even when the rules are established; and as a low budget film, it is completely dialogue and character driven all the way. Not perfect, especially with a start that falls below the standards of the rest of the production, but a well enough performed and directed fantasy/romantic drama that has some subtle and moving moments amongst the effective humour of farce and repartee.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Klenotka
You actually made me to go to find some reviews and I donīt think I really saw some "Karen Gillan at her best"...I read that she was "awkward" and Weber "wooden" and that the movie itself really is not too good. I am not a big fan of those movies - mixed genre when they are not sure if to be funny, tragic or romantic so I guess it wonīt be for me. Also, um, you know my opinion about Karenīs acting Grin Wink

I saw "Non-Stop" with Liam Neeson and it was surprisingly good. "Taken" was a straight forward "kill them all" thriller but this one had a better script, some twists, great atmosphere and who would have thought that Neeson would find himself in action? Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

You actually made me to go to find some reviews and I donīt think I really saw some "Karen Gillan at her best"...I read that she was "awkward" and Weber "wooden" and that the movie itself really is not too good. I am not a big fan of those movies - mixed genre when they are not sure if to be funny, tragic or romantic so I guess it wonīt be for me. Also, um, you know my opinion about Karenīs acting Grin Wink

Not having read them, or other reviews by the same writers, I would suspect they were badly put off by the terrible first 15 minutes that seems to be more like half an hour because the acting an direction are so awful. Unless you want to like the film in advance and are prepared to press a mental reset button when the tone and style suddenly changes, like someone has flicked a switch, then most people would not unreasonably stick with first impressions. I would go as far as to say that its worth, on a dvd or download, actually starting the film at 17 minutes in. And of course, the reviewers might share your opinion that Karen doesn't actually have a best to reach...

Happy

Klenotka wrote:

"Taken" was a straight forward "kill them all" thriller...

A friend once showed me that film and it drove me crazy with its lack of depth and character Angry

Klenotka
But it was fun! Grin And I mean it. Straightforward action thriller, where the hero takes down the bad guys just with his hands and with some thinking ahead.
I think that the more time I spend at work day by day, getting home tired, I appreciate movies like this more. Just to turn off my brain and enjoy. But, of course, it has to be at least good. I wouldnīt be able to relax at some brainless movie that is...well, a terrible movie.

I think I suffered like that with Transformers which was so idiotic that I thought you had go through a lobotomy to watch it Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
S.O.S. Pacific - a forgotten classic from 1959! There is a strong cast that includes Richard Attenborough, John Gregson and Clifford Evans and even a very brief role for cult tv legend Cyril Shaps. Its essentially a disaster movie, but made before the bar was raised by the 1970s effects-heavy disaster epics. Passengers travelling on board a seaplane between Pacific islands are left stranded on a small and deserted island when the aircraft crashes in a storm. The danger becomes more obvious when the survivors cross the island and discover an abandoned fleet of derelict ships, concrete bunkers filled with farm animals and film cameras, and a smaller off-shore island with a tall receiver mast. Further complication is provided by the fact that three of the passengers are a detective, his prisoner, and the unwilling but key witness to a coast-guard murder. This is a cinematic gem from an era when surface testing of nuclear weapons was still a topical issue, before the Limited Test Ban Treaty came into force in 1963...

Also Death Comes to Pemberley, follow this link for my review Grin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 04 March 2014 08:01:51

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Persuaders: To The Death, Baby - One of the more comedic episodes, with guest star Jennie Linden

The Jewel in the Crown - another classic Granada series from the 1980s, one that I haven't seen before. Only watched episode one yesterday and, even though it was feature length, it still felt a bit shallow. But it was the introductory episode, and the reputation of the series is very good, so I'm looking forward to the rest of it...

meegat39
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

The Persuaders: To The Death, Baby - One of the more comedic episodes, with guest star Jennie Linden

The Jewel in the Crown - another classic Granada series from the 1980s, one that I haven't seen before. Only watched episode one yesterday and, even though it was feature length, it still felt a bit shallow. But it was the introductory episode, and the reputation of the series is very good, so I'm looking forward to the rest of it...

I've just bought The Persuaders' entire collection, having decided to try and get hold of anything that Terry Nation was ever connected with!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
meegat39 wrote:

I've just bought The Persuaders' entire collection...

Hope you enjoy it - the show is a similar format to other shows of the era like The Saint and The Avengers, but with a lot more humour and improvisation; its very stylish and full of 1960s chic, and also benefits from the two leads being flawed heroes who sometimes succeed more by accident than intentionally being motivated by heroism.

meegat39
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

I've just bought The Persuaders' entire collection...

Hope you enjoy it - the show is a similar format to other shows of the era like The Saint and The Avengers, but with a lot more humour and improvisation; its very stylish and full of 1960s chic, and also benefits from the two leads being flawed heroes who sometimes succeed more by accident than intentionally being motivated by heroism.

Sounds good!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Gauda Cheese
I'm still making my way through the Outer Limits. The Zanti Misfits was the last one. I'm taking my time.

I also watched an Australian show called the Checkout which is a show about marketing and consumer rights in the land down under. Its free on YouTube.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

littlesue
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I'm still making my way through the Outer Limits. The Zanti Misfits was the last one. I'm taking my time.

I also watched an Australian show called the Checkout which is a show about marketing and consumer rights in the land down under. Its free on YouTube.

Excuse me for asking GC, but seeing as you are from Aussie land, do you recall 'The Magic Boomerang'?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Excuse me for asking GC, but seeing as you are from Aussie land, do you recall 'The Magic Boomerang'?

I vaguely remember 'The Magic Boomerang'! When the boomerang is in the air, all time stands still (cue freeze frame of horses galloping, or something)
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I vaguely remember 'The Magic Boomerang'! When the boomerang is in the air, all time stands still (cue freeze frame of horses galloping, or something)

That's it. The young lad threw it and could do all sorts of things as time stood still and then had to retrieve the boomerang and time would continue. Along with Skippy, there were some fab children's shows coming from Down Under. There's another one, but I can't recall it's title. It was a group of children who had a fort or something similiar. It's so annoying that I can't quite remember this programme. No doubt it will come back to me...eventually!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Joe Dredd
The Magic boomerang - through the magic of Youtube

I don't remember it, but I do remember a similar kids show from Tasmania about some kids who had a 'time crystal' they could freeze time with. They had to try and rescue their dad (who invented it) from a time vortex while a couple of baddies chased them for the crystal: Fatty & George. This one is so popular you can buy it on special release from the State Library of Tasmania.

Tell us more about the fort one, littlesue.

Gauda Cheese
littlesue wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Vaguely. I may have caught a rerun as a kid, but i can't remember
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,183,683 unique visits since 8th January 2014