Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Describe Blake's 7
Spaceship Dispatcher
This was a fun discussion on the previous forum so I thought it would be good to restart it here...

How would you describe the show to someone who has never seen it before? Preferably to someone who is not a space fiction fan already, so without comparisons to other shows of the space-fantasy genre like Dr Who or Star Trek...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Futuristic character-driven drama in a science-fiction setting about a group of deeply flawed rebels fighting an oppressive regime.

GoldChannel
Blakes 7 is a 70s/80s adventure series set in space where a band of rebels of differing ethics and morals travel about making trouble for an outer-space fascist regime. With fabulous outfits.

BradPaula
That has always been a bit of a struggle. I start out by saying Blake's 7 is a bit like Doctor Who. By that I mean it's BBC and ran the same time of the classic Who. But then you have to qualify that by telling people that it's a sci-fi program and a bit on the theme of the Dirty Dozen in space. I guess the best way to explain is to say that a group of rebels/criminals commandeer an alien space ship and reap vengeance upon the 'evil' Federation galactic government. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

littlesue
When I met Phil (Exterminator's) wife up in Hanslope in 2012, she asked me about why I was into B7. (At first, she thought I was there because Hubby was a big fan! No, he's my chauffer.) Anyway, I explained to her that B7 was a costume drama set in the future. She was reading a Historical Novel at the time.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceship Dispatcher
Interested by the three suggestions that the show is about the rebels fighting, causing trouble for, and reaping vengeance on the Federation. It led me to look up the episode guide and see how much of Blake's 7 was about the rebellion itself. Only four episodes of s1 (Time Squad, SLD, Avalon, Bounty) actually describe attacks on the Federation, and almost all of s3 consists of fantasy and adventure episodes that don't involve the rebellion. Granted that all of the characters on Liberator or Scorpio belong to the rebellion, but only s2 and s4 have the rebellion itself as the major season story arc. So, if only half of the show is 'about' the rebellion fighting the Federation would that give a complete appraisal of the show? Is it a case that, within B7 fandom as with that of The X-Files, there are primary episodes that define the show and secondary episodes that are not considered to be what the show is really about? Just wondering what those who are primarily B7 fans think about the observation, as it seems common to equate B7 to the fight for freedom (thinking of the marketing of the B7M audios too) when for me (as an 'outsider' and relative newcomer) its only a small part of the format.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
littlesue wrote:

Anyway, I explained to her that B7 was a costume drama set in the future...

Yes... that's quite a nice way of putting it.

Henry Eggleton
A show where those normally considered villains are the good guys and everybody dies
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Spaceship Dispatcher
Henry Eggleton wrote:

A show where those normally considered villains are the good guys and everybody dies

Very true! Its quite a unique show because, although it follows those who would normally be the villains since most SF follows the authorities, it still portrays the main characters as sympathy figures with mostly good personality traits; rather than as 'hard men' that viewers admire for their callousness and violence in their rebellion. We have to analyse them to realise that much of what Blake and Avon do is morally outrageous, but on screen we are encouraged to like these characters as normal people in extraordinary circumstances. I'm not sure there are many series that have done that.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

That has always been a bit of a struggle. I start out by saying Blake's 7 is a bit like Doctor Who. By that I mean it's BBC and ran the same time of the classic Who. But then you have to qualify that by telling people that it's a sci-fi program and a bit on the theme of the Dirty Dozen in space. I guess the best way to explain is to say that a group of rebels/criminals commandeer an alien space ship and reap vengeance upon the 'evil' Federation galactic government. -Paula

Terry Nation's original pitch to the BBC was: 'The Dirty Dozen in Space.' Others have likened it to 'Robin Hood in Space', which I think is an even better description of Series 1, with characters like Little Gan, Maid Jenna, Will Restal etc. Either one of those is a quick and easy way of describing the show in one sentence. If the person I'm speaking to has an aversion to SF (eg my mother) I follow that with littlesue's description of 'a costume drama set in the future', which is a neat way of putting it. Grin

I don't usually compare B7 to Dr Who, as they're very different in tone and target audience, even though they may have a similar look because of sharing the same writers/directors/guest actors/Betchworth Quarry etc.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

briggsy1
Blake's 7 has a distinctive look and feel about it which for me is part of the appeal. As such it has influenced many other sci-fi shows since, including Babylon 5, Lexx, Andromeda, STGrinS9, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Hyperdrive, Aeon Flux and Cold Lazarus (apparently). This is taken from Wikipedia - I cant vouch for the voracity of all these claims myself, since I haven't watched all of them. That's quite a legacy though for a poorly funded show made by a broadcaster not known for it's love of the genre - the credit should go to the writers and vision of it's creator Terry Nation.
Wikipedia also states B7 introduced the idea of using long term story arcs - surely other shows must have tried this before 1978?

Travisina
briggsy1 wrote:

Blake's 7 has a distinctive look and feel about it which for me is part of the appeal. As such it has influenced many other sci-fi shows since, including Babylon 5, Lexx, Andromeda, STGrinS9, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Hyperdrive, Aeon Flux and Cold Lazarus (apparently). This is taken from Wikipedia - I cant vouch for the voracity of all these claims myself, since I haven't watched all of them. That's quite a legacy though for a poorly funded show made by a broadcaster not known for it's love of the genre - the credit should go to the writers and vision of it's creator Terry Nation.
Wikipedia also states B7 introduced the idea of using long term story arcs - surely other shows must have tried this before 1978?

I can definitely vouch for Andromeda, which comes complete with blonde pilot, telepathic alien and sentient ship's computer. Less sure about Lexx - I loved it, it's bonkers, dark and funny - but it's more like Star Trek's evil twin than B7. Having said that, the rebooted version of the Liberator in the B7Media audios felt a lot like the Lexx, so perhaps a bit of reverse cross-pollination there?

As for long term story arcs - there were plenty of serial dramas before B7 (Onedin Line, Poldark, Upstairs Downstairs - not to mention Terry Nation's Survivors) - do they not count? Perhaps wiki meant in terms of a SF series, but then what about Dr Who - stories spread across numerous episodes or even whole series?
Edited by Travisina on 26 January 2014 11:53:41
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

briggsy1
Yes, of course the Dalek Masterplan is the longest of all Dr.Who stories which run for 12 episodes, so long term story arcs were being used in sci-fi long before B7 came along.

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

As for long term story arcs - there were plenty of serial dramas before B7 (Onedin Line, Poldark, Upstairs Downstairs - not to mention Terry Nation's Survivors) - do they not count? Perhaps wiki meant in terms of a SF series, but then what about Dr Who - stories spread across numerous episodes or even whole series?

I think there's a difference between a serial story, where each episode is very much designed to follow on from the last, and a story arc, where many of the episodes are separate, but with an underlying thread of story. I suppose the idea of very separate episodes, where they can be viewed in any order, comes more from the US tv system, whereas UK tv, particularly the BBC, had lots of serialised stories (often adapted from books) and an audience that expected to follow the story each week.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
JustBrad
Robin Hood leads The Dirty Dozen against Big Brother in Space.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Agree with AA on the issue of story arcs: a plot running through a single story is not an arc, just a plot; whether or not the story is divided into installments for broadcast, its still a single story. A season long arc, where an ongoing story linked other stories that were otherwise independant of each other across a whole season, didn't happen in Doctor Who until 1978 with the Key to Time quest. So its fairer to say that both shows introduced the concept at the same time. I'm not aware of any other space-fantasy examples pre-1978 though.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I had just finished reading 1984 when B7 started and I was surprised at the number of nods towards the whole Big Brother type of totalitarianist state envisioned by the Federation.

As a side note, one of the Dr Who documentries shown over the run-up to hte 50th anniversary was talking about how thw Daleks were formed by Terry Nation's childhood in during WWII. I think a lot of the WWII era imagery was brought into B7 as well.

Trying to describe the premise of B7 to DD1(15)

Blake discovers that his whole past was a lie and in an effort to supress him, the legal systems charges him using fake evidence. He and 2 others escape from thier prison ship* and head off to do heroic deeds, wrong rights and other stuff..

* DD1 was astonished that Raiker would be so stupid to send Blake and co to capture the strange ship beacuse " That's not going to end well, is it?"
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Grade Four Ignorant
Firefly in flares.

President Solvite
A healthy antidote to Star Trek.

The quote also sums things up nicely..

'Where are all the good guys?
I think you may be looking at them!
What a depressing thought'

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Lurena
On the previous forum I was one of those who asked for the description.
Just because Blake's 7 (and Doctor Who, and for some also Robin Hood) is not commonly known in my area I needed to find an accurate description.
So far I have come to this:

If you like classic drama, cynical quotations, gritty stories with underlying humour, if you like costume drama, if you like sets and props that invite you to copy the scenes with your hair-dryer, laboratory equipment and kitchen utensils, if you like to learn proper English (for foreigners) and/or drama diction and if you have no objection to scientific matters that often end up in fantasy, if you have no objection to space fantasy worlds, you will most probably enjoy watching Blake's 7.

Please give me corrections and/or additions. Your help is much appreciated.

Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
9,497,763 unique visits since 8th January 2014