Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's 7: Project Avalon audio book
steveothen
Is the Blake's 7: Project Avalon audio book worth getting ? is there plenty of Paul darrows wonderful voice on it & does he share the narration equally with jacki pearce ? are there sound effects etc in there as well ?
any comments would be appreciated.
thanks.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Paul reads half the disks and Jacs the remainder. Yes, it's very good if you enjoy audiobook readings.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
I've had these CDs 'on permanent loop' in my car's autochanger for months - they use up all 6 compartments, so I can't listen to anything else!

Paul and Jacqueline are both brilliant narrators and a delight to listen to. As SD said, they each read half the disks.

The sound fx are disappointing - they're a bit sparse and not the ones we know and love - and they sound a bit cheap. This may have been due to copyright reasons - or possibly the original fx were unobtainable or unusable at the time. For the Big Finish audios, the original sounds were recreated from scratch by Alistair Lock.

Is the audio book worth getting? I would say Yes, both for the two narrators and for some interesting differences between the books (which were based on the early scripts) and the final televised versions - eg, in the books it's Cally who goes down to the planet with Blake while Jenna stays on the flight deck (which makes more sense to me) and mutoids are referred to as 'androids' etc.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceresearcher
Just to ensure you have absolute certainty as to the quality and professionalism of these recordings I third this and totally agree with all said above but seriously.

THERE BRILLIANT. You'll totally love the fact that some of your favourite heroes are actually reading you the novel. Seriously brilliant. Also worth obtaining is the excellent reading of 'The Way Back.

While your at it you may also want to grab a copy of the now readily available BBC Scifi sound effects album on CD (also available as an mp3 download (I've got both)). Armed with that, you can add in all the sound effects you desire to the recording and listen to it all again and enjoy it.

You might have fun doing that also Travisina to remove your sparse effects problems there.

Enjoy all. Smile

steveothen
Travisina wrote:

I've had these CDs 'on permanent loop' in my car's autochanger for months - they use up all 6 compartments, so I can't listen to anything else!

Paul and Jacqueline are both brilliant narrators and a delight to listen to. As SD said, they each read half the disks.

The sound fx are disappointing - they're a bit sparse and not the ones we know and love - and they sound a bit cheap. This may have been due to copyright reasons - or possibly the original fx were unobtainable or unusable at the time. For the Big Finish audios, the original sounds were recreated from scratch by Alistair Lock.

Is the audio book worth getting? I would say Yes, both for the two narrators and for some interesting differences between the books (which were based on the early scripts) and the final televised versions - eg, in the books it's Cally who goes down to the planet with Blake while Jenna stays on the flight deck (which makes more sense to me) and mutoids are referred to as 'androids' etc.

When you say they each read half the discs, do you mean that each disc alternates between the two ? as in : paul reads one disc, then the next disc is read by jackie, & so on ?

Spaceship Dispatcher
steveothen wrote:

When you say they each read half the discs, do you mean that each disc alternates between the two ? as in : paul reads one disc, then the next disc is read by jackie, & so on ?

No, they each read three disks consecutively.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

steveothen
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

steveothen wrote:

No, they each read three disks consecutively.

Ok thanks, does jackie read the 1st 3 & then paul the final 3 ?

Joe Dredd
they each read three disks consecutively.

Those spoilsports at the BBC should have let them take turns reading one word each.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Those spoilsports at the BBC should have let them take turns reading one word each.

That could be a fun thing for them to do at their panel in Peterborough - someone should suggest it!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceresearcher
Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

That could be a fun thing for them to do at their panel in Peterborough - someone should suggest it!

LOL. I love the idea. Serious commercial potential there. Imagine it read by say 10 of the cast members, one word each in turn. lol

Hugbot
I doubt that the interrogation scene will be as effective as in the filmed version ... Pfft

Spaceresearcher
It's the READING that counts, it gives the story a different dimension. You can't compare audio with filmed versions, there completely different mediums.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.37 seconds
9,146,592 unique visits since 8th January 2014