Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,042
· Newest Rebel: Sirius Fox

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [29 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [18 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [21 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [7 Votes]

Votes: 127
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
One Spare Part
Klenotka wrote:

The Stand by Stephen King (finally!)

Everytime I read The Stand nothing and no one exists outside of the book. A great human story. Completely satisfying.
Edited by One Spare Part on 14 June 2018 20:51:19
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

One Spare Part
Ellen York wrote:

Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

...the Little House on the Prairie Books. I have been known to take some of the latter on holiday with me. The Long Winter is a very grim read.

I love the Little House books! My Mum's got our set now, and she's re-reading them. What extraordinary lives they led. I'd be hard pushed to choose a favourite - not 'The Long Winter', which is as you say very grim, or By the Shores of Silver Lake, in which (spoiler alert) the dog dies, Laura gets into an awkward pre-teen phase and Mary goes blind - even though the descriptions of the birds coming to the lake, and the building of the railroad are amazing. As a teenager, I particularly liked 'Little Town on the Prairie' and 'These Happy Golden Years' - her high school days, becoming a teacher herself and her courtship & marriage to Almanzo.

I love them too! Now I want to go read them again. There are also books written about Rose (Laura's daughter) and Caroline (her mother).

https://www.amazo...irie+books

Just started reading Prairie Fires by caroline fraser- the untold story around laura ingalls wilder's books. It is an eye opener.

Ellen York
Susan Wittig Albert wrote a fictionalized novel about the collaboration between Laura and Rose (A Wilder Rose). Rose had far more input into the books that was known at the time. It is an interesting read, but not a particularly sympathetic portrait of Laura.

One Spare Part
Ellen York wrote:

Susan Wittig Albert wrote a fictionalized novel about the collaboration between Laura and Rose (A Wilder Rose). Rose had far more input into the books that was known at the time. It is an interesting read, but not a particularly sympathetic portrait of Laura.

I can go with that portrayal of Laura. Even the short bit I have read of Prairie Fires hints at a more negative portrayal.

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

I can go with that portrayal of Laura. Even the short bit I have read of Prairie Fires hints at a more negative portrayal.

I've not read this, and I'm not sure I'd like a negative portrayal of Laura. I am interested that Rose had a lot of input into her books, though.

I was also a bit disillusioned when I found out that much of Dick Francis' books had been written by his wife - I used to love those.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

rojkerr1
The Lost world,Kolchak the night stalker novel

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

I've not read this, and I'm not sure I'd like a negative portrayal of Laura. I am interested that Rose had a lot of input into her books, though.

I was also a bit disillusioned when I found out that much of Dick Francis' books had been written by his wife - I used to love those.

There are a few - and probably many more - authors whose wives have co -written their novels. David Eddings only started listing Leigh as co-author after he was a selling author. Don't be disillusioned with Dick Francis it could well have been the publisher's decision.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

There are a few - and probably many more - authors whose wives have co -written their novels. David Eddings only started listing Leigh as co-author after he was a selling author. Don't be disillusioned with Dick Francis it could well have been the publisher's decision.

Much as I love Eddings novels, I'm currently reading the Sparhawk books, I always thought he threw that in to draw attention from the fact his female characters were incredibly one-dimensional. Especially in the Belgarion books.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

I've just started to watch LHOTP again in the mornings on True Entertainment...I'm crying the moment the opening notes start of the theme music!!!
The same with the Littleist Hobo when that was on telly...and Highway to Heaven.
Don't even mention Greyfriars Bobby...........
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

BradPaula
Reading Terry Pratchett's early works, A Blink of the Screen.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

One Spare Part
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Much as I love Eddings novels, I'm currently reading the Sparhawk books, I always thought he threw that in to draw attention from the fact his female characters were incredibly one-dimensional. Especially in the Belgarion books.

Well thankfully things are moving on. Great female characters are being written as a matter of course now. Have you read the mortal engines books by philip reeve? Peter jackson is bringing the 1st film out at xmas. Great female leads in that.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Well thankfully things are moving on. Great female characters are being written as a matter of course now. Have you read the mortal engines books by philip reeve? Peter jackson is bringing the 1st film out at xmas. Great female leads in that.

Adds to ever expanding book wish list. Thank you for the recommendation.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

The Lost world,Kolchak the night stalker novel

Will you be listening to the Kolchak soundtrack whilst reading the novel? Grin

rojkerr1
certainly am, gives the right atmosphere!

rojkerr1
Dollar westerns, sequels to the classic movies, currently on Coffin full of dollars, great when you listen to the soundtracks at the same time

One Spare Part
Rotherweird by Andrew Caldecott. A here and now fantasy by which I mean the setting is here and now except for the town of the title. Just getting through the setting up of the place and the mystery element of the story. Intriguing so far.

rojkerr1
Film and the 2nd world war, interesting analysis

BradPaula
The Flying Sorcerers: More Comic Tales of Fantasy edited by Peter Haining.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
I'm so knackered, I can't read much without falling asleep, but I found the perfect book in the local library - 'Weekend Wodehouse' - a collection of short stories, extracts and bits and pieces by PG Wodehouse. Not only are they easy, bite-sized chunks, they're brilliantly written and laugh out loud hilarious - just what I need at the moment!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Klenotka
I finally finished one of the "must read", The Shining by Stephen King.
And honestly, I canīt say if a book or movie are better because they both have *their* own things that work. King describes, writes the atmosphere and of course, works well with characters. Kubrick scares with pictures, shadows, sound....two different entities, really.
The book is still as scary as Kingīs book can be. I love his descriptions of dark and evil.
Donīt be Lasagne

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.83 seconds
14,684,592 unique visits since 8th January 2014