Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

 Print Thread
What are you reading?
purplecleric
Klenotka wrote:

Death is a lonely Business by Ray Bradbury.


Fantastic book,klenotka - left me unsettled for days, really got under my skin. Ray B is one of my favourite authors - I love the way he paints pictures with words. I won't give away any spoilers but the description of the late night ride and the dinosaur comparisons of the fairground stuck with me....
 
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
A Vindication of the rights of women by Mary Wollstonecraft
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.
 
rojkerr1
ray bradbury my idol too, did my thesis on him and he sent me a postcard, love silver locusts, illustrated man, his dark carnival has some of the scariest stories ever written!
Adore the Veldt, the Emissary etc.
Its amazing how many unacknowledged steals there are from his work, Golden apples of the sun, and the entire last scene of Dark Star is based on his Kaleidoscope story
 
JustBrad
A Genius For Deception - Nicholas Rankin

British intelligence in WWI and WWII.
 
Klenotka
purplecleric wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

Death is a lonely Business by Ray Bradbury.


Fantastic book,klenotka - left me unsettled for days, really got under my skin. Ray B is one of my favourite authors - I love the way he paints pictures with words. I won't give away any spoilers but the description of the late night ride and the dinosaur comparisons of the fairground stuck with me....


I just finished reading it. It was really unsettling. Instant depression. But I think that even on page 100, I had no idea what was going on Grin
 
Gauda Cheese
The God Delusion on audio book. I'm an Atheist and I really have nothing to do this weekend. So its long walks and listening to Dawkins and Lalla Ward read this.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
Klenotka
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. What a fascinating book. I am in the middle and what started as a "book about a girl with special abilities" turned to be a really creepy horror book with its story spread in about 20 years time.
I think any "Twilight" reader (girl) would get a physical trauma just from the second chapter alone...yet I found the book in childrenīs book department Grin Czech title is "Christmas land" and the book cover looks all christmasy so they probably thought it was a fantasy book for kids Grin Well, itīs not Grin
Edited by Klenotka on 19 April 2014 00:31:46
 
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
JustBrad wrote:

A Genius For Deception - Nicholas Rankin

British intelligence in WWI and WWII.



THanks, I'm adding that to my list of war books I want to read.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.
 
Gauda Cheese
Halfway through the Reality Dysfunction and I'm loving it, but damn is it long.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
Klenotka
So I just finished reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill - I think the story itself wasa normal (but great) horror story, with creepy villain and creepy kids BUT fantastic characters. I havenīt enjoyed characters that much since...well, a while. Of course I always care about characters when I like a book. But the main heroine, Vicky, was so messed up that you just had to love her, because the way she hated herself but loved "her men" was so touching, because the people around her tried to tell her she was worth it. Her precious husband (almost husband), a normal guy, overweight geek and biker, who was a superhero without realizing it. The whole book is about misfits finding themselves, fighting with a self esteem but without some epic final realization that they were not misfits at all. They were just normal people (except Vicky and her abilities) who tried to lead a normal life.
I am also surprised that a guy (and letīs face it, horror writers have to be partially freaks as well) could write so great, convincing female characters. Many women writers seem to struggle with it...

Anyway, I can recommend it, I enjoyed it very much Smile It was thrilling and in some places really creepy and unsettling.
Edited by Klenotka on 25 April 2014 21:06:26
 
Gauda Cheese
Klenotka wrote:

So I just finished reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill - I think the story itself wasa normal (but great) horror story, with creepy villain and creepy kids BUT fantastic characters. I havenīt enjoyed characters that much since...well, a while. Of course I always care about characters when I like a book. But the main heroine, Vicky, was so messed up that you just had to love her, because the way she hated herself but loved "her men" was so touching, because the people around her tried to tell her she was worth it. Her precious husband (almost husband), a normal guy, overweight geek and biker, who was a superhero without realizing it. The whole book is about misfits finding themselves, fighting with a self esteem but without some epic final realization that they were not misfits at all. They were just normal people (except Vicky and her abilities) who tried to lead a normal life.
I am also surprised that a guy (and letīs face it, horror writers have to be partially freaks as well) could write so great, convincing female characters. Many women writers seem to struggle with it...

Anyway, I can recommend it, I enjoyed it very much Smile It was thrilling and in some places really creepy and unsettling.


Joe Hill takes after his father.

Not read this, but Heart Shaped Box and Locke and Key are amazing
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
Klenotka
Gauda Cheese wrote:


Joe Hill takes after his father.

Not read this, but Heart Shaped Box and Locke and Key are amazing


He certainly got his description of creepy details Smile I love Stephen King but his books are hit or miss for me. I loved Bag of Bones, 23/11/63 (my most favourite), It and I still need tp read some of his more famous books. But for example, I gave up on Duma Key and even Under the Dome after a few chapters. I donīt like giving up on books but I just couldnīt get into it. Also, he tends to use the same type of characters over again - a writer, very often a messed up one. They are always interesting characters but I think with *this* book, son has overgrown his father because those characters were amazing. He didnīt really write that *much* about them...they were more hints or (in Vickyīs case) internal thoughts but I thought they became better that way. Not sure if it makes sense.

I will definitely check his other books as well Smile
 
Gauda Cheese
The Stand. Do it. Its an all time fave novel, but I prefer the older edition before he revised it. You can probably get it cheap second hand.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
BradPaula
Just started reading the Blake's 7 Annual from 1979. I picked it up at the Steventon get-together and had never seen one before. It's obviously made for the youth market, but I was thrilled to get it all the same. I also got three paperback books at the swap table that day- The Tomorrow People, Space 1999 and a Planet of the Apes novel. Can't wait to read these and add them to my tv novel collection. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
littlesue
BradPaula wrote:

Just started reading the Blake's 7 Annual from 1979. I picked it up at the Steventon get-together and had never seen one before. It's obviously made for the youth market, but I was thrilled to get it all the same. I also got three paperback books at the swap table that day- The Tomorrow People, Space 1999 and a Planet of the Apes novel. Can't wait to read these and add them to my tv novel collection. -Paula


I'm so glad that my small contributions went to a good homeGrin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
rojkerr1
Enjoy those books Paula, some of those are among my favourites, very well written.
Got a hardback of the first Prisoner novel from a car boot sale on sunday, going for Ģ40 on ebay! paid 50p for mine! The first book I bought as a kid was land of the Giants The Mean city, great book. Which ones did you pick up?
Got an original POTA tv show script off ebay, the one with the sea and sharks ? very good
 
Invisible shadow
Alien Meetings. New York: Ace Books, 1978.

Black Fire by Sonni Cooper.
http://cooperfinearts.com/index.html


Warriors & Wizards.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/dec/10/book-review-warriors-and-wizards/
Edited by Invisible shadow on 26 April 2014 20:32:26
 
BradPaula
rojkerr1 wrote:

Enjoy those books Paula, some of those are among my favourites, very well written.
Got a hardback of the first Prisoner novel from a car boot sale on sunday, going for Ģ40 on ebay! paid 50p for mine! The first book I bought as a kid was land of the Giants The Mean city, great book. Which ones did you pick up?
Got an original POTA tv show script off ebay, the one with the sea and sharks ? very good


The Tomorrow People is Three in Three by Roger Price. Space:1999 is Breakaway by E.C.Tubb and Planet of the Apes is Man the Fugitive by George Alec Effinger. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Gauda Cheese
rojkerr1 wrote:

Enjoy those books Paula, some of those are among my favourites, very well written.
Got a hardback of the first Prisoner novel from a car boot sale on sunday, going for Ģ40 on ebay! paid 50p for mine! The first book I bought as a kid was land of the Giants The Mean city, great book. Which ones did you pick up?
Got an original POTA tv show script off ebay, the one with the sea and sharks ? very good


Which Prisoner novel is this?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
purplecleric
Gauda Cheese wrote:

The Stand. Do it. Its an all time fave novel, but I prefer the older edition before he revised it. You can probably get it cheap second hand.


Great novel - just never wanted it to end. the characterization is superb, I just wanted to continue keeping company with them.
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,174,836 unique visits since 8th January 2014