Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
rojkerr1
I love Bradbury, still have the postcard he sent me

Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

You have a postcard from him?! Swoon, thud. What did he say?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

You have a postcard from him?! Swoon, thud. What did he say?

YES! What did it say? Shock

I have a funny Bradbury story. Back when my sister and I could still afford to go to the San Diego Comic Con every year, one of the yearly highlights was seeing Ray in his underwear being raced around the convention floor in his wheelchair by an enthusiastic posse of grinning cohorts. Ray of course was loving it like a big kid.

My sister and I: "Oh, look, there goes Ray Bradbury again!" Another typical SDCC day.
Edited by Rainesz on 14 December 2016 20:47:00

Rainesz
Travisina wrote:

What a brilliant essay! I've not read that before and have bookmarked for repeat enjoyment.
@Rainesz, is that what it's like for you?

Pretty much! Not much has changed, has it?
We get people looking for cookbooks and children's books for children they don't know. ("What's a good book for a 12 year old?" "What does he/she like to read?" "I don't know." "Does he/she have any interests? Horses? Sports? Science? Harry Potter?" "I don't know." You actually have to do a full interrogation sometimes.)

Then there are the people: "I'm looking for a book." "Which book?" "I forgot the title." "Who is it by?" "I don't know." "What is it about?" "I'm not sure, but it's blue and has a picture of a goat on the cover."
Right this way to our Blue Books with Goats section...

Then the people who mangle the titles: "I'm looking for Glass Manning Gary."
It takes me a moment. "OH. You mean 'The Glass Menagerie'! It's for your class, isn't it?"

So I am absolutely overjoyed when someone comes in and asks for science fiction and fantasy. (Or art history.)

rojkerr1
the great man said THANK YOU DAVID TULLEY! (all in caps) OFF TO PARIS WILL TALK TO YOU ON MY RETURN, BEST! RAY BRADBURY.
Never happened unfortunately, wanted to interview him over the phone for the thesis I wrote on his short stories, many moons ago -sent me a signed pic, with a cat though! Always wanted to meet him

Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

the great man said THANK YOU DAVID TULLEY! (all in caps) OFF TO PARIS WILL TALK TO YOU ON MY RETURN, BEST! RAY BRADBURY.
Never happened unfortunately, wanted to interview him over the phone for the thesis I wrote on his short stories, many moons ago -sent me a signed pic, with a cat though! Always wanted to meet him

Ah, lovely story. I would have loved to meet him, too. Now I'm interested to read your thesis!

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
But books are wonderful, as sources of knowledge and entertainment, but also as a source of pleasant tactile and olfactive senses.. Something you just don't get with ebooks and PDFs

I'm with you there, PS! When I lock up at night I have to avoid going into our book room because I can easily lose half an hour when I should be getting to bed.

Every room in our house is a book room...

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
But books are wonderful, as sources of knowledge and entertainment, but also as a source of pleasant tactile and olfactive senses.. Something you just don't get with ebooks and PDFs

I'm with you there, PS! When I lock up at night I have to avoid going into our book room because I can easily lose half an hour when I should be getting to bed.

MY GP has demanded I take the bookshelves out of my bedroom because it prevented me from sleeping
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Travisina
Rainesz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

What a brilliant essay! I've not read that before and have bookmarked for repeat enjoyment.
@Rainesz, is that what it's like for you?

Pretty much! Not much has changed, has it?
...So I am absolutely overjoyed when someone comes in and asks for science fiction and fantasy. (Or art history.)

Well, that's dispelled any romantic notions I may have had about working in a bookshop, but I'm still a bit jealous!

Still, for a while I worked part time in a shop that sold TV/Movie memorabilia - posters, T shirts, figures, calendars, bags, books, DVDs etc - lots of Doctor Who & Torchwood merchandise, as the owner had the official franchise. It was at the time when Twilight was new and huge, and we'd get hoards of young girls dashing in after school to swoon over the latest posters. Two old ladies came in every Friday to buy DVDs for the weekend - they had a taste for crime and were working their way through Midsomer Murders, Morse, Cadfael etc. There was an alarming-looking young couple, all tattoos & piercings, who came in regularly for Hello Kitty merchandise. Fascinating customers.
The job was fun while it lasted, but the pay wasn't great and the shop closed after a couple of years. There are only so many Stigs, Iggle Piggles and Daleks you can sell in a suburban high street before saturation is reached.

Travisina
sooper mouse wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

MY GP has demanded I take the bookshelves out of my bedroom because it prevented me from sleeping

The shelves or the books?

I have piles of books by the bed, mostly Lee Child and Game of Thrones, but also a couple of Pratchetts & Gaimans among them. Some I've read, some are on the 'To Read' pile. I had Game of Thrones on permanent loop for about two years, getting to the end and starting again, as the Best Thing I'd Read for Years.

sooper mouse
Travisina wrote:

sooper mouse wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

The shelves or the books?

I have piles of books by the bed, mostly Lee Child and Game of Thrones, but also a couple of Pratchetts & Gaimans among them. Some I've read, some are on the 'To Read' pile. I had Game of Thrones on permanent loop for about two years, getting to the end and starting again, as the Best Thing I'd Read for Years.

Well he meant both but I end up carrying books back in anyway.
ASOIAF is one of the greatest things ever written. One of my exes was the designer for the first edition and cards and I got to meet both GRRM and his wife. He's a lovely man, she is next level of insane.
Speaking of Gaiman, I can wait for the American Gods movie although the Choice of Idris Elba as Shadow bothers me
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

Angry Angel
I love being surrounded by books - when I was little I wanted to live in a library, and I'm getting fairly close to that now. When we redecorated our bedroom a couple of years back I made sure I got a bookcase in there and put a selection of my favourite authors in it: Tolkien, GRRM, Guy Gavriel Kay, Charles de Lint, Robin Hobb, Ursula Le Guin and Naomi Novik. I'm working through my Robert holdstock books at the moment, since I've collected quite a few but only read some of them. I've taken a quick break for Christmas though, to read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, since it fits the season so well.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
sooper mouse
Angry Angel wrote:

I love being surrounded by books - when I was little I wanted to live in a library, and I'm getting fairly close to that now. When we redecorated our bedroom a couple of years back I made sure I got a bookcase in there and put a selection of my favourite authors in it: Tolkien, GRRM, Guy Gavriel Kay, Charles de Lint, Robin Hobb, Ursula Le Guin and Naomi Novik. I'm working through my Robert holdstock books at the moment, since I've collected quite a few but only read some of them. I've taken a quick break for Christmas though, to read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, since it fits the season so well.

Reading is my vice but a couple of years ago I was at the point where I never slept... The books were too tempting. So I try to keep some sort of balance...

rojkerr1
it was called' The Child image as a mediator of panic in the short fiction of Ray Bradbury...'- perhaps you could explain it to me sometime...?

Angry Angel
sooper mouse wrote:

Angry Angel wrote:

Reading is my vice but a couple of years ago I was at the point where I never slept... The books were too tempting. So I try to keep some sort of balance...

I often fall asleep when reading, so less of a problem for me!

sooper mouse
Angry Angel wrote:

I often fall asleep when reading, so less of a problem for me!

I can't. I have an overactive brain.

Angry Angel
My brain's pretty active, but I think it's an eye thing. I have bad eyesight and the concentration of reading makes my eyes (and thus me) tired.

dragonq
I don't know how many books there are in this house, but at last count it was about five thousand. Not counting ebooks. They are everywhere. To me, there is nothing worse than going into a bookless house.

sooper mouse
dragonq wrote:

I don't know how many books there are in this house, but at last count it was about five thousand. Not counting ebooks. They are everywhere. To me, there is nothing worse than going into a bookless house.

amen to that.
I am seriously pondering buying a bigger house because I need more space for books.
Ebooks are nice and all but they don't feel the same.

Travisina
dragonq wrote:
To me, there is nothing worse than going into a bookless house.

It's very unsettling, isn't it?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.73 seconds
9,829,409 unique visits since 8th January 2014