Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Game of Thrones. It never ends. The more I read, the more is left to read.

I know (happy sigh) - wonderful, isn't it? I haven't been so captivated by an epic series since I first read Lord of the Rings, and that was a long time ago!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

I know (happy sigh) - wonderful, isn't it? I haven't been so captivated by an epic series since I first read Lord of the Rings, and that was a long time ago!

Anything to do with Tyrion, Arya, or Danerys is a treat. Anything to do with Sansa... Yawn...

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Anything to do with Tyrion, Arya, or Danerys is a treat. Anything to do with Sansa... Yawn...

Agree re Tyrion, Arya and Danerys. But I like Sansa, too. The one I found most tedious was Catelyn - my heart used to sink every time I turned a page and found it was another of her downbeat chapters. Cersei gets her own chapters in later books, and is so much more entertaining!

sweevo
The Adrian Mole Diaries.

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Agree re Tyrion, Arya and Danerys. But I like Sansa, too. The one I found most tedious was Catelyn - my heart used to sink every time I turned a page and found it was another of her downbeat chapters. Cersei gets her own chapters in later books, and is so much more entertaining!

I like reading about all the characters from their point of view, it's the best thing about the books as compared to the show (I watched two series before I decided to go for it with the books).

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Gauda Cheese
I lost faith with A Song of Ice and Fire for two reasons, one was book four, the other was Martins inability to keep a deadline to save his life. I want to read the books again, but I won't read another page until he has finished it.

Mind you I said the same for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but at least he kept the books coming out. Sadly he passed.

I'm with South Park when it comes to George R. R. Martin.

There must be something about fantasy that makes a writer slow, because Sci/Fi can be just as tough and yet I haven't come across Sci/Fi writer with such a horrible reputation for not doing his job.

Don't get me wrong here, the man is gifted. He writes a rich world with great characters. I can understand why people love him, Tyrion and Ayra are two amazing characters and are two good reasons I'll one day complete the series, but what the hell George?

As for the show? I couldn't get into it.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I lost faith with A Song of Ice and Fire for two reasons, one was book four, the other was Martins inability to keep a deadline to save his life. I want to read the books again, but I won't read another page until he has finished it.

Mind you I said the same for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, but at least he kept the books coming out. Sadly he passed.

I'm with South Park when it comes to George R. R. Martin.

LOL - yes clever and hilarious episodes. South Park is genius! Grin

There must be something about fantasy that makes a writer slow, because Sci/Fi can be just as tough and yet I haven't come across Sci/Fi writer with such a horrible reputation for not doing his job.

By his own admission, the late, great Douglas Adams was shockingly bad at delivering scripts on time - one of my favourite quotes from him:
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Don't get me wrong here, the man is gifted. He writes a rich world with great characters. I can understand why people love him, Tyrion and Ayra are two amazing characters and are two good reasons I'll one day complete the series, but what the hell George?

I read somewhere that GRRM's been quoted as saying "Every time someone asks me when the next book is coming out, I'm going to kill another Stark!"

As for the show? I couldn't get into it.

I agree. They've done very well in terms of casting, locations etc - but watching it just felt like reading the story as a series of bullet points. One of the things I love best about the books is the quality of the writing; being inside the heads of the characters and getting different viewpoints on the same events - one outstanding example being the battle of the Blackwater; getting it from first from Davos and then Tyrion - I wanted both sides to win!

Madeleine
I got stuck with Zola's Rougon-Macquart saga, and I am nowhere near to getting to the end of it. Yes, I know I am a bore.
Never cruel or cowardly. Never give up, never give in.

meegat39
I recently read Tanith Lee's Heart Beast and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in recent years. If you are a big fan of fantasy, this is for you. The story is based around a werewolf and the curse elements of it. This is no Eclipse or Full Moon, complete with teeny slush trash. This is a very good story, very well written, very believable with strong horror and fantasy elements. I whole heartedly recommend this to every Blake's 7 fan.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

I recently read Tanith Lee's Heart Beast and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in recent years. If you are a big fan of fantasy, this is for you. The story is based around a werewolf and the curse elements of it. This is no Eclipse or Full Moon, complete with teeny slush trash. This is a very good story, very well written, very believable with strong horror and fantasy elements. I whole heartedly recommend this to every Blake's 7 fan.

I've not read many Tanith Lee novels, but my faves are:

Kill the Dead - a fantasy in which the two main protagonists seem to be based on Avon and Vila; the impression only reinforced by the characters' names Parl Dro (which is what Paul Darrow's autograph looks like) and Myal Lemyal (a riff on 'Michael'). And the fact that the book is dedicated to 'Valentine' (Paul's middle name). And some of the dialogue could be straight out of B7. Be that as it may, it's an excellent story - but especially so for fans of B7, and even more especially so for fans of Avon and Vila.

The Silver Metal Lover - a searing, achingly beautiful love story about a wealthy, privileged but insecure girl and her passion for an android minstrel. One of the best teen romances I've ever read, and even as a mature married person, it's one I re-read regularly. Forget 'Twilight', this is the way first love should be written!

When the Lights Go Out - this is a dark, twisted tale of a seaside town when the season has ended and the visitors departed - when the lights have gone out. It has a wonderful dreamy, nightmarish quality, with strong fantasy elements.

Tanith Lee's writing is lovely, lyrical and almost poetic, and her characters are fascinating. Wonderful stuff, highly recommended!

BradPaula
Believe it or not, I have a cache of Battlestar Galactica novels from the late 1970's which I am finally reading after setting at my bedside waiting for me to get to them for a few years. I collect television novelizations from popular series spanning from the 60's- to now and have quite a collection started- Mission Impossible, Star Trek, The Partridge Family, Get Smart, the Brady Bunch, Man and Girl from UNCLE- you name it- I collect it.

Also, just finished an Australian phrase book given to me by fellow
Forum member Thetis called 'No Blunder Down Under' and I got quite a few laughs over their amusing and sometimes unfathomable phrases! Thanks, Thetis. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Klenotka
The Legend by David Gemmel. Smile

Henry Eggleton
Klenotka wrote:

A very good book in my opinion
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
meegat39
Travisina wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Kill the Dead - a fantasy in which the two main protagonists seem to be based on Avon and Vila; the impression only reinforced by the characters' names Parl Dro (which is what Paul Darrow's autograph looks like) and Myal Lemyal (a riff on 'Michael'Wink. And the fact that the book is dedicated to 'Valentine' (Paul's middle name). And some of the dialogue could be straight out of B7. Be that as it may, it's an excellent story - but especially so for fans of B7, and even more especially so for fans of Avon and Vila.

The Silver Metal Lover - a searing, achingly beautiful love story about a wealthy, privileged but insecure girl and her passion for an android minstrel. One of the best teen romances I've ever read, and even as a mature married person, it's one I re-read regularly. Forget 'Twilight', this is the way first love should be written!

When the Lights Go Out - this is a dark, twisted tale of a seaside town when the season has ended and the visitors departed - when the lights have gone out. It has a wonderful dreamy, nightmarish quality, with strong fantasy elements.

Tanith Lee's writing is lovely, lyrical and almost poetic, and her characters are fascinating. Wonderful stuff, highly recommended!

Thanks Travisina, I now have three more books on my to read list!

Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

Kill the Dead - a fantasy in which the two main protagonists seem to be based on Avon and Vila; the impression only reinforced by the characters' names Parl Dro (which is what Paul Darrow's autograph looks like) and Myal Lemyal (a riff on 'Michael'Wink. And the fact that the book is dedicated to 'Valentine' (Paul's middle name). And some of the dialogue could be straight out of B7. Be that as it may, it's an excellent story - but especially so for fans of B7, and even more especially so for fans of Avon and Vila.

She's a very prolific author - I've got lots of her books, but I've only read 'Kill The Dead' out of these. I read some of her YA books when I was young and found them very mysterious and dream-like, I recently got hold of 'The Castle Of Dark' to re-read and I really enjoyed the dark fairy-tale feel.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
scorpiogirl
tanith lee you say? hmmmm - sounds interesting...so what would anyone recommend i should start with as i saw a few titles mentioned?

Henry Eggleton
Red Shirts
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
Klenotka
Henry Eggleton wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

A very good book in my opinion

One colleague at work recommended it to me. Very addictive Smile

meegat39
scorpiogirl wrote:

tanith lee you say? hmmmm - sounds interesting...so what would anyone recommend i should start with as i saw a few titles mentioned?

Well I've only read Heart Beast, which I thoroughly recommend! You could try Kill the Dead which Travisina mentioned and said was B7 like.

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

scorpiogirl wrote:

Well I've only read Heart Beast, which I thoroughly recommend! You could try Kill the Dead which Travisina mentioned and said was B7 like.

I've not read 'Heart Beast', but I do think 'Kill the Dead' would be a good start - can't go wrong with a fantasy with B7-esque charcters!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,834,958 unique visits since 8th January 2014