Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Hugbot
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Apart from our monthly Pratchetts (currently 'Lords and Ladies' ), I'm reading an anthology of short crime fiction stories, plus the next on my pile of Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - 'Dead Beat'.
Bubbling under: 'Latin for Dummies' (I've always wanted to learn Latin, missed out by growing up overseas where the second language was... er... English).

I learnt all my latin from reading Asterix.

Meum est propositum in taberna mori.
(Although that is not from Asterix but from the Carmina Burana.)

One Spare Part
In taberna quando sumus... non curamus quid sit humus

...feeling thirsty all of a sudden. I better...getafix?
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Ellen York
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'm working my through (almost) a full set of the Carola Dunn's Daisy & Alec Fletcher crime mysteries and enjoying them immensely. They're a kind of literary equivalent of television shows like Father Brown (the current version anyway) or Frankie Drake

I've read all of them, fun series. Daisy is one of those character that I think I would enjoy meeting in real life.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Ellen York wrote:

I'm working my through (almost) a full set of the Carola Dunn's Daisy & Alec Fletcher crime mysteries and enjoying them immensely. They're a kind of literary equivalent of television shows like Father Brown (the current version anyway) or Frankie Drake

I've read all of them, fun series. Daisy is one of those character that I think I would enjoy meeting in real life.

Yes, I'm definitely into them more because Daisy and Alex are likeable characters who I would get along with in real life. I always struggle to engage with the fictional lives and interests of characters that I don't relate to or care about, and the typical aggressive cop with a failed relationship and an alcohol problem who takes out his personal grievances on his boss, sergeant, suspects etc can be a bit hit and miss with me!

Lee Bagnall
One Spare Part wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

sounds good sparepart, currently going thru all my douglas r mason john rankine r m douglas books. same guy and my fave writer! love his style.

Am trying to get as many S1999 novels as I can find, speaking of John Rankine.

IIRC from when I was collecting them a good thirty years back(!) there's about 9 books from Orbit for the first season, the first 6 being novelisations and 3 which were original novels. Orbit had another book, Earthfall, that wrapped up the series before season 2.

Star books novelised all of the second series, and these came with promo photos so you had some idea of the episodes back before VHS was a thing.
Ballantyne did a "Making Of" book, largely season 2 related, which was apparently hard to find. I got mine the same wet december saturday in 1991 that I bought "Afterlife". To this day, I think I was robbed.

Sadly, I don't have any of them now, they all went to my cousin about twenty years back in a clearout. I did get a resin teleport bracelet in return, so I think I got the better end of the deal.

No, I'm not a Space 1999 fan. Many of cast are appallingly bad (Landau and Bain the worst offenders), the stories - especially series 2 - are awful, especially the pseudo-religious ones, and IMO it has all the warmth and charm of a mass grave. A complete waste of time and talent.

The novelisations I felt are decidedly more enjoyable than yer actual programme.

This link may be of some help
http://www.tonyst...ce1999.htm
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

One Spare Part
Ta for the link LB. I have always maintained my love for S1999 in spite of the Freiburger massacre of the show in S2 but I can understand where you're coming from. I used to watch all the SF shows going in the 70s and there are some that are much more frightful than S1999. You think Bain and Landau are bad? Pay a revisit to shows like The Fantastic Journey and you may see some "acting" that will change your mind! Really, just cos we are SF Fans doesn't mean we love every single show on TV. The books, especially the Powys media original stories, have been a revelation for me. At least one of them has had me literally sitting on the edge of my seat as I was reading. You are right, they really add something more to Alphaworld.

Spaceship Dispatcher
One Spare Part wrote:

Ta for the link LB. I have always maintained my love for S1999 in spite of the Freiburger massacre of the show in S2 but I can understand where you're coming from. I used to watch all the SF shows going in the 70s and there are some that are much more frightful than S1999. You think Bain and Landau are bad? Pay a revisit to shows like The Fantastic Journey and you may see some "acting" that will change your mind! Really, just cos we are SF Fans doesn't mean we love every single show on TV. The books, especially the Powys media original stories, have been a revelation for me. At least one of them has had me literally sitting on the edge of my seat as I was reading. You are right, they really add something more to Alphaworld.

Well, I love Space1999 and stand by season one as amongst the finest examples of science fiction produced for the screen by a UK studio, and I adore Martin and Barbara for the depth and sincerity they impart to their characters. It's a show full ideas and empathy that really moves you as well as operating on quite a high intellectual level. The second season is more action led and the characterisation does suffer, but I felt some of the later episodes did represent a return to form.

One Spare Part
I haven't got around to my rewatch of S2 yet. I know there are some good eps but the cheeky badinage aspect keeps putting me off. I will brace myself and do it one of these days.

Spaceship Dispatcher
One Spare Part wrote:

I haven't got around to my rewatch of S2 yet. I know there are some good eps but the cheeky badinage aspect keeps putting me off. I will brace myself and do it one of these days.

It's a bit fake, especially between Maya and Tony and the running (and awful) wine making gags. Season two has a very different feel, especially to begin with, and doesn't really have most of the stylistic and thematic elements that I love about season one.

Moon Disk

One Spare Part wrote:

It's a bit fake, especially between Maya and Tony and the running (and awful) wine making gags. Season two has a very different feel, especially to begin with, and doesn't really have most of the stylistic and thematic elements that I love about season one.

Victor. What happened to Victor? One minute he was there, along comes S2 and gone. No explanation. Like all that paper they used to get through. Where was that coming from? One of life's many unanswered questions.

I'm not the world's greatest fan of Space 1999, but I'll agree that S1 had its moments. Best episode for me was seeing Peter Bowles chuck people about as loony of the week, Balor. The least said about Full Circle the better imho.

My overriding memory of S2 is that there was a lot more romance. There was that rather awkward moment where Koenig has to decide which of two women is the real Helena by kissing them. The terror on his face - lucky for him he got it right. Then there's that other cringey moment where the pair are bickering about who damaged Helena's bust (clay! of her head! oh dear). It's like watching your parents argue with added embarrassment.

Mind you, I prefered the uniform in S2.

Am I remembering right there are some B7 parallels in Space 1999? I seem to remember some bloke falling into an open reactor in The Seance Spectre a la Travis in Star One.

sweevo
The novelisation to Escape from New York... wow. It builds the world a lot more succinctly and fleshes out the movie's universe much better.

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Black Archive: The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang - a really good, interesting analysis and discussion of the two-part finale of Doctor Who's 2010 season

sweevo
Big Trouble in Little China comics, a 25-part continuation/sequel to the 1986 John Carpenter cult classic starring Kurt Russell. It's all in the reflexes. Smile

sweevo
The Electric Sun and Electric Universe hypotheses by Ralph Juergens.

Hugbot
Nick, der Weltraumfahrer (Nick the Spacefarer), a German SF comic from the 1950s/1960s, written and drawn by Hansrudi Wäscher who single-handedly produced the entire German comic strip output of his era – medieval stories, jungle adventures, science fiction, westerns, crime fiction, aviator stories, you name it. Drawing several series in parallel didn't actually help to improve the quality of the drawings (daintily put). About 30 years ago, a small company published reprints, colorised and rearranged to album format, but due to the small print run, they were not easily available. I only got the first four issues. Now I ordered a bunch of second-hand copies of six more albums.
Yes, it's lurid pulp science fiction stories with sloppy artwork, but also enormous fun!

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Yes, it's lurid pulp science fiction stories with sloppy artwork, but also enormous fun!

Sounds wonderful! The world needs more lurid pulp SF with sloppy artwork Grin

I follow somebody on Twitter called 'Pulp Librarian' who Tweets all sorts of things, from American comic covers to knitting patterns to paperback gothic romance novels featuring a woman with long hair fleeing a sinister house. I read loads of those in my teens, all on similar themes to 'Jane Eyre' or 'Rebecca', though of course not nearly as well written.
https://twitter.c...pLibrarian
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

RichardMk2
I just finished reading "Holes" by Louis Sachar. It's about a teenage boy in Texas who gets wrongly convicted and sent to a detention centre in the desert. It's got a linking narrative to the present day and to 150 years ago to an ancestor of the Central Character.

Hugbot
RichardMk2 wrote:

It's about a teenage boy in Texas who gets wrongly convicted and sent to a detention centre in the desert.

That sounds strangely familiar... Grin

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

Hugbot wrote:

Sounds wonderful! The world needs more lurid pulp SF with sloppy artwork Grin

I found this small compilation of cover illustrations (of the original edition in the weird landscape 'Piccolo' format): https://www.youtu...FDl_jF8NyU

sweevo
RichardMk2 wrote:

I just finished reading "Holes" by Louis Sachar. It's about a teenage boy in Texas who gets wrongly convicted and sent to a detention centre in the desert. It's got a linking narrative to the present day and to 150 years ago to an ancestor of the Central Character.

I remember reading it in high school and seeing the movie adaptation shortly after.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
36,620,410 unique visits since 8th January 2014