Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 19

· Rebels Active: 1
One Spare Part

· Total Rebels: 1,249
· Newest Rebel: Teleport

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Joe Dredd wrote:

I can't say I've read much historical fiction, other than the "I, Claudius" novels repeatedly, but I enjoyed Margaret George's "The Autobiography of Henry VIII" when I was a teenager and it's still on the bookshelf. Henry's fool Will Somers has a nice line in it somewhere, that we always compare our shadows (fault-ridden selves) to the sunlit sides of others.

My O Level Latin teacher loaned me his copy of both I, Claudius and Claudius the God. I haven't read them since the late 1970's though I have seen the tv show several times.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Ellen York
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

I'm still on my Tudor novel binge.

So why is the latest thing HVIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, shagging Thomas Seymour?

All through her second marriage with John Neville, Lord Latimer and into her third with Good King Hal?

The guy who had his second wife beheaded because of suspected adultery and his fifth also beheaded for suspected adultery?

It makes so much sense that his street-smart sixth wife would be jumping into bed with a known rake...

sighs....

In my young teens, I binged the Tudor novels by Jean Plaidy - 'Murder Most Royal' (wives 1-5) and 'The Sixth Wife' (Katherine Parr). I don't remember her shagging Seymour, or perhaps I've forgotten or perhaps I was too young and innocent when I read it to realise what was going on...

This was a modern book, "The Last Wife of Henry VIII" by Carolly Erickson.Looking at samples of other novels written recently, it seems like a new theme, KP and TS having an affair. Looks like it her story needs spicing up. Because in reality, KP didn't do much until HVIII's eye lit on her following KH's downfall.
I found the Plaidy novel lurking on my bookshelf.I totally forgot I had that one.

There is a definite trend of "spicing up" in modern historical fiction, most of my favorites are older ones. Have you read My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes? Anne of Cleves is the overlooked wife but Barnes really brings her to life. I have a hard time picking one favorite book, but that one is easily on the top ten list.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Ellen York wrote:

There is a definite trend of "spicing up" in modern historical fiction, most of my favorites are older ones. Have you read My Lady of Cleves by Margaret Campbell Barnes? Anne of Cleves is the overlooked wife but Barnes really brings her to life. I have a hard time picking one favorite book, but that one is easily on the top ten list.

Sorry for the major snippage.

I have read the MCB but it was a long time ago. Somewhere in my Dragonhoard of books I have a novel where AoC seduces KH...Again a recent novel, aka last 5 years.

AoC is awesome. She's always been my second favourite wife.
Lawks but I hated the slant Alison Weir did in her novel.
Innocent Anne taken advantage of, pregnancy hidden. Child placed in loyal Clevean family.

Anne betrothed and rushed across Europe. Blah blah. Henry pretends to be messenger and Anne rebuffs his advances..Marriage happens, breasts and belly feel loose, H8 can't get it up {spoiler AB already said that that}

Marriage crashes and burns. Anne gets loads of dosh to keep her quiet.Lives happily ever after.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Gauda Cheese
Been reading Dr Who novels lately, but having a break to read the latest Reacher. I was a bit nervous about it, because its now another thriller franchise that's co-authored.

I'm about a third of the way through it and so far its pretty solid. You can tell there is a bit of a different style, but it definitely isn't bad.

JustBrad
Have to get up into the upstairs library. It is well past time I re-read Lord of the Rings.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

sweevo
The Men in Black comics from the 1990s, which spawned a film and television franchise (which is almost completely unrecognisable from the source material save for the main characters and basic premise).

Gauda Cheese
The Sentinel ended up being a pretty solid and dependable Reacher novel.

Now Dr Who: Superior Beings.... which for some reason isn't the name of a Dalek story.

One Spare Part
Breakaway E C Tubb. A novel of the opening to Space 1990...and it does things differently. Oooh.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

rojkerr1
great book, now read aftershock and awe. all the space 1999 novels are worth a read, Alien seed and rogue planet earthfall are good tubbs

rojkerr1
Craig stirling in space 1999 4 the third time! Piri, Bringers, Awe

rojkerr1
sparepart have you heard big finish space 1999 breakaway differ again

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

sparepart have you heard big finish space 1999 breakaway differ again

Got my order in for the next adventures. Loved the new take on Breakaway last year.

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

great book, now read aftershock and awe. all the space 1999 novels are worth a read, Alien seed and rogue planet earthfall are good tubbs

I will be having a look around - for 2nd hand copies, of course. They really push your boundaries in these books. No mere 'novelisation' here.

One Spare Part
Just finished reading Spider's Web by Ian McLaughlin, an Omega Factor novel. Very spooky, bags of atmos and tension, very much inkeeping with the original series.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
29,490,285 unique visits since 8th January 2014