Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,236
· Newest Rebel: amp19777

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [39 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 186
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Travisina
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

The TV adaptation was on Amazon Prime, which inspired hubby to get the DVDs, and now we're powering through the novels which are quite different to the TV series. Great stuff.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Got another batch of reprints of the Airpirate pulp series originally published c. 1908–1910. Usually, reading Wilhelminian space opera provides a welcome distraction from your everyday worries. But guess what happens in issue no. 82? Mankind faces nothing less than a pandemic, ominously dubbed, ‘The Grey Death.’ While a Swedish physician finds a cure, it turns out that the main ingredient is very rare on Earth. The required amounts can only be found on Venus. Hence, Captain Mors has to set out for Venus again, well knowing that the very nature of the planet is as hostile as its inhabitants.

Apart from the topical story, it was quite interesting to read the description of the highlands near the North Pole of Venus: while the authors of the series dreamed up oceans, a breathable atmosphere and giant salamanders, the northern continent looks suspiciously like the real Maxwell Mountains in the Ishtar Terra region of Venus – strangely accurate for a novel written more than 100 years ago!

As far as I know, ep. 140 (which I will receive in January) has a similar plot. In that instalment, Mors even has to fly to Neptune to get a cure for yet another plague! Well, let’s hope that we will never need a cure from outer space...

That's fascinating, Hugbot!
Maybe the cure from outer space will arrive embedded inside a meteorite. I have long suspected that meteorites are the source of viruses, anyway.

Ellen York
Travisina wrote:

The TV adaptation was on Amazon Prime, which inspired hubby to get the DVDs, and now we're powering through the novels which are quite different to the TV series. Great stuff.

Glad you are enjoying the series, it is a favorite of mine. And there is a new one just out this month.

Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Glad you are enjoying the series, it is a favorite of mine. And there is a new one just out this month.

Yes, enjoying them very much. I like the 'world building' with its whole new take on the world of magic (this ain't no Harry Potter!), plus the characters and the exciting pace of the stories.

I've just finished Book 2, Hubby has just finished Book 6.
We got Books 1-4 on special offer from Amazon, and 5-8 from a friend who's recently moved house and is clearing out some of her old books to make space for new ones. After that, it'll be back to scouring 2nd hand bookshops and/or Amazon special offers, 'cos it'll be pretty expensive to buy them all new!

rojkerr1
woman in black, stageplay version, superb

Klenotka
The Invited by Jennifer McMahon....so far so good. I am about on page 200 which is relatively in the beginning but it is really fun to read, and I am curious if this is going to turn into a real ghost story or if it is something else. (no spoilers if you read it Wink )
Don´t be Lasagne

One Spare Part
Klenotka wrote:

The Invited by Jennifer McMahon....so far so good. I am about on page 200 which is relatively in the beginning but it is really fun to read, and I am curious if this is going to turn into a real ghost story or if it is something else. (no spoilers if you read it Wink )

And the twist is @%$&*♧¿
*REVEAL DELETED* Grin
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
'Thief of Time' by Terry Pratchett, for our coordinate re-read / discussion on Thursday evening. All welcome!
http://www.blakes...ad_id=3166

One Spare Part
Re-reading many Stephen King books. They are very relaxing. I am discovering they read differently as an older reader. I appreciate his talent more.

Klenotka
One Spare Part wrote:

Re-reading many Stephen King books. They are very relaxing. I am discovering they read differently as an older reader. I appreciate his talent more.

I started with King recently, after 11/22/63. I got to it through that time travel theme and read many of his books since then. Even those most iconic ones. And ironically, so far, I think his best - for me - is Lisey´s story, which imo knows about two other people and/or King´s fans.
Don´t be Lasagne

One Spare Part
I don't think I finished that one. I was a bit narked with him, a bit unfairly, I think now. He had had that terrible accident and after that his writing, to me, went off the boil. I was waiting for the next book in the dark tower series: Wizard and Glass was the previous book and it was brilliant. Great cliffhanger. Then came the accident and ... I feel that informed his writing afterwards and not for the better. The dark tower storyline changed direction. His other novels did not grip me as they once did. Maybe I, as a reader, changed too. These current re-reads are giving me a greater insight into his talent as a writer so I plan to re visit the later works too. Except for Gerald's Game. Nothing can improve that....Grin

Klenotka
I was disappointed by some of his books, too. He is a bit hit or miss. Outsider was, honestly, terrible, rushed ending and all so I am not sure why they chose to make a TV show from that. But maybe it is better than the book.

His son, Joe Hill, I dare to say, is actually a better *writer*...he has complex characters, too but instead of creating a bunch of liekable characters who are there only to be killed, Hill has two or three, and makes their story very complex....he is so different...I can see him getting as far as his father. Especially with him writing one book in a few years, instead of writing three books per year.
Don´t be Lasagne

rojkerr1
Interstellar 2 5, Rankine, one of my faves, moving a spaceship piecemeal across a planet to reach an optimum launch window...

rojkerr1
Euphor unfree

rojkerr1
Landfall is a state of mind, on a mason/rankine binge, def my fave writer

BradPaula
Just completed "How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack" by Chuck Sambuchino
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I'm still on my Tudor novel binge.

So why is the latest thing HVIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, shagging Thomas Seymour?

All through her second marriage with John Neville, Lord Latimer and into her third with Good King Hal?

The guy who had his second wife beheaded because of suspected adultery and his fifth also beheaded for suspected adultery?

It makes so much sense that his street-smart sixth wife would be jumping into bed with a known rake...

sighs....
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Travisina
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

So why is the latest thing HVIII's last wife, Katherine Parr, shagging Thomas Seymour?

All through her second marriage with John Neville, Lord Latimer and into her third with Good King Hal?

The guy who had his second wife beheaded because of suspected adultery and his fifth also beheaded for suspected adultery?

It makes so much sense that his street-smart sixth wife would be jumping into bed with a known rake...

sighs....

In my young teens, I binged the Tudor novels by Jean Plaidy - 'Murder Most Royal' (wives 1-5) and 'The Sixth Wife' (Katherine Parr). I don't remember her shagging Seymour, or perhaps I've forgotten or perhaps I was too young and innocent when I read it to realise what was going on...

One Spare Part
She married Seymour and I think she died in childbirth while Edward 6 was still alive. He was grasping for power even then.

Ellen York
Travisina wrote:

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

sighs....

In my young teens, I binged the Tudor novels by Jean Plaidy - 'Murder Most Royal' (wives 1-5) and 'The Sixth Wife' (Katherine Parr). I don't remember her shagging Seymour, or perhaps I've forgotten or perhaps I was too young and innocent when I read it to realise what was going on...

Jean Plaidy is one of my favorite historical fiction authors. The Lady in the Tower (Anne Boleyn's story told first person) was the first "grown-up" historical fiction that I read as a tween. Her work is G/PG rated so no "on-screen" shagging.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
28,270,714 unique visits since 8th January 2014