Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
rojkerr1
Just read two Dan Simmons, The terror and the Abominable, amazing books , beautifully writtern and researched, any more of his arctic-type stories?

Klenotka
Yes, Dan Simmons. I read two books already. Summer of Night was fantastic and I got through it in about 4 days.
Carrion Comfort imo didn´t work that well. I just didn´t find the characters (the good ones) interesting enough. I had big problems to get through it but the idea was really good and well written. But I think I expected too much after Summer of Night

Now....could anyone explain the ending of Hyperion because I don´t think I got it Grin

Lurena
Finally got some time for proper reading and I finished Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. I enjoyed it very much. I had already seen the TV adaption, because I was commissioned to copy costumes and make up for an attendee of the Dutch Disc World/Pratchett Con.

Has anyone read "Red Rising" by one Pierce Brown?
The first book of the trilogy saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom from the overlords of a brutal elitist future built on lies.
It should be about a lead character called Darrow who finds out about a lie after he lost his wife, who secretly was a heroic activiste.
“Look into yourself, Darrow, and you’ll realize that you are a good man who will have to do bad things.” is a quote that makes me curious. Is the writer a Blake's 7 fan?
It is said the book will be adapted for screenplay.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Klenotka
A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle

Henry Eggleton
Just finished Skin Job latest in the Dresden saga
What I do I do without choice and to save time

http://dcmarvelrpg48705.yuku.com/directory#.UnfVjR
BradPaula
I am reading "Doctor Who: A History Celebrating Fifty Years" by Alan Kistler. It's written lovingly by an obvious fan and it gives you pause to read of the series' 50 year run. He also is very complimentary to Big Finish, so all the better.

@Lurena: My next three books will be Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam, Turtle Recall, and The Folklore of Discworld. Then to tackle Game of Thrones volume #1. That should keep me busy for a while. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

GoldChannel
I have given up halfway through 'The Stark Munro Letters' by Conan Doyle.

I am a huge Doyle fan but this is very disappointing. The letter style just doesn't work and the narrator's tales are too dull, and a lot of talk about religion is rammed down the reader's throat.

Ellen York
Henry Eggleton wrote:

I'm on the waiting list at the library for that. I love the Dresden Files. Jim Butcher did an amazing job with the world-building and characters and the sarcastic first-person narration just adds to the fun.

Angry Angel
I've just read The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (excellent, but the story isn't finished yet), and I'm currently working my way through The Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb. Since the book I'm on at the moment is a hardback, I grabbed a thinner book from my shelves to read on the train up to London yesterday, Castleview by Gene Wolfe.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Angry Angel
Klenotka wrote:

I remember reading this years ago in a book of his I got from the library (it included The Last Unicorn). Sadly, a lot of his books seem to be out of print, and very hard to get hold of in the UK.

Angry Angel
Ellen York wrote:

Henry Eggleton wrote:

I'm on the waiting list at the library for that. I love the Dresden Files. Jim Butcher did an amazing job with the world-building and characters and the sarcastic first-person narration just adds to the fun.

I've only read the first book but enjoyed it a great deal, and I've picked up the next three to read.

Gauda Cheese
Angry Angel wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

Henry Eggleton wrote:

I've only read the first book but enjoyed it a great deal, and I've picked up the next three to read.

I've read number one as well and I did enjoy it, but more for the noirish elements than anything else.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Klenotka
Angry Angel wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

I remember reading this years ago in a book of his I got from the library (it included The Last Unicorn). Sadly, a lot of his books seem to be out of print, and very hard to get hold of in the UK.

I bought this one along with The Last Unicorn last month. I think it is actually the first time both those books are here, so we have them, yeah, but only a few decades later...Grin

Space Chopper
I love reading fantasy fiction, but so much of it is derivative- Tolkien's master works set the bar so high, very few authors make things sound fresh and new. I recently discovered Terry Goodkind, and I'm currently reading Wizard's First Rule, the first in the Sword Of Truth series. Really enjoying it so far...
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

rojkerr1
Got Dr Who the vault - for fathers day, lovely book! Good photos of props and original design sketches, including the eye medallion prop I own from the Greatest Show In The Galaxy!

Klenotka
I visitited a book store this week and bought "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. What a fantastic book. It is funny, like laughing out loud funny but touching and sad only two paragraphs later. But it is not written in a sad way or to be intentionally sad or funny. Backman just describes this man´s life now and before and it is full of funny and touching moments.
I can highly recommend to everybody Smile

BradPaula
Just started Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam with character Moist Lipwig popping up again. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Joe Dredd
I like that Pratchett has adopted that verb-noun format especially for all the Lipwig stories - Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam.

sweevo
"The Lightbringers" - a science fiction/dark fantasy novel I wrote in college, which forms the basis for my next story, roughly translated to "The Legend of the White Rainbow".

Lurena
BradPaula wrote:

Just started Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam with character Moist Lipwig popping up again. -Paula

Oh great! You know that I copied the Moist costume for someone special for next year's Disc World convention. The character has come to life much more since.

[url]I like that Pratchett has adopted that verb-noun format especially for all the Lipwig stories - Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam.[/url]
Yes, so do I! Also the double meaning of those titles is fun.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.45 seconds
9,155,139 unique visits since 8th January 2014