Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,249
· Newest Rebel: Teleport

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

That's on my list of 'to reads'. I like medieval murders/historical murders.

As with all genres, they can get a bit samey. 'Blood of Britannia: A Dark Age Mystery' was a bit different, though it's a couple of years since I read it.

I was actually a teeny bit disappointed by 'Daughter of Time'. I'd heard so much about it, I guess it would have been hard to live up to the hype completely. Worth reading, though.

But Dick 3 deffo dunnit (admittedly by proxy). That's another thread, however.
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 21 April 2020 13:11:40

rojkerr1
bet u like Cadfael

One Spare Part
Who doesn't like Cadfael? Easy to read and easy to like, good feel for the period. Shardlake is my fave rave though.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

'In the Fifth at Malory Towers' - with grateful thanks to StormyPetrel Smile

Youíre welcome Smile
Iím reading The Franchise Affair (Josephine Tey) because I finished Guards Guards the same day it arrived in the post.

Have you read 'Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tey? I love that - the investigation of Richard III as a contemporary murder mystery.

Yes, I like that one too! And A Shilling for Candles isnít bad, as I remember.

Ellen York
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

I really enjoyed reading the Daughter of Time. And now Josephine Tey is being used as a character in a current crime series as a crime investigator herself. The latest in a long line of historical characters becoming private eyes!

Ha! That's very cool.

Have you read 'Mistress of the Art of Death' by Ariana Franklin? Medieval female forensic detective, in the days when women weren't allowed to study medicine, on pain of being accused of witchcraft...

That's on my list of 'to reads'. I like medieval murders/historical murders.

It's really good. Recommended.

I'll second the recommendation. The author wrote a few more books about the same protagonist. The titles are eluding me at the moment, but I'm sure you can google them. Have you read the Crispin Guest mysteries by Jeri Westerson? Guest is a disgraced knight reduced to living by his wits a sort of medieval PI. An interesting change from the more usual monk or nun sleuths.

sweevo
My mother loves the Cadfael books. Smile As for me? Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, which acts as a sort of origin story for the RD crew while combining together elements from some TV stories with an original plot. I'm thinking of doing a live readout on camera sometime in the future (along with acting out the characters' voices). Smile

Cygnus Bazza
sweevo wrote:

My mother loves the Cadfael books. Smile As for me? Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers, which acts as a sort of origin story for the RD crew while combining together elements from some TV stories with an original plot. I'm thinking of doing a live readout on camera sometime in the future (along with acting out the characters' voices). Smile

The only Cadfael I've read is 'Monk's Hood' and I thought it was a bit meh. In terms of your live readout plans, what are you waiting for? Don't delay - do it! Never put off a pet project.

rojkerr1
virgin in the ice is my fave

Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

That was the one in which Gareth played Cadfael on stage. His last stage role, in fact.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

rojkerr1
didn't know that, thanks

rojkerr1
moon stallion

rojroj
Tried reading The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel because a friend recommended it, but I guess it's too YA. The style is very simplified and some of the plot ideas are downright stupid (Great Hunger in Ireland caused when an evil sorcerer unleashed some supernatural creatures to kill Nicholas Flammel?) So I gave up after 40 pages or so.

Yesterday I started Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, which is very enjoyable.

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
rojkerr1
Dr Who Turlough and the earthlink dilemma, great cover, but the space station is nicked from trek3

RichardMk2
Travisina wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

That was the one in which Gareth played Cadfael on stage. His last stage role, in fact.

I saw him perform that role at Malvern Theatre. He was very good!

RichardMk2
Meanwhile I am currently reading "The Essex Serpent" by Sarah Perry. Set in the 1890s the central character is a widow who has retired to Essex with her son and maid, Martha, with the intention of going fossil hunting. When she hears rumours of an aquatic beast she is determined to investigate.

rojkerr1
sound good

Travisina
'Archer's Goon' by Diana Wynne Jones. Funny and clever.

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

Is that a weird cross-over of The Archers and The Goon Show?

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Is that a weird cross-over of The Archers and The Goon Show?

GrinGrin
Wouldn't that be great? You should write it!

No, it's a funny, clever and wonderful real-world fantasy: https://en.wikipe...r%27s_Goon
which was also made into a TV series - oooh, it's on YouTube! I'll have a look later, not seen it since it was broadcast - https://www.youtu...b0Mnru_l_0

One Spare Part
Diana Wynne Jones should be re discovered.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
29,578,002 unique visits since 8th January 2014