Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 3
BradPaula, Travisina, One Spare Part

· Total Rebels: 1,212
· Newest Rebel: mariesantsingh

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [20 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 177
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:
I worked on two series of Shameless in Manchester with a Geordie director. In between, I had jobs at Yorkshire TV. Such a joyous melange of Northern accents!

I am terrible with accents. If someone comes into the library with a strong accent like Scots then I start talking back to them in like manner. It's a bit embarrassing really...well a lot embarrassing truth to say...

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

After the excitement of rewatching Deliverance, I hopped straight into bed to start reading Gaudy Night, the next part of my Lord Peter Wimsey re read. TV version of this with Edward Petheridge and Harriet Walters is excellent.

Not seen the TV version, but I love the novel.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:
I am terrible with accents. If someone comes into the library with a strong accent like Scots then I start talking back to them in like manner. It's a bit embarrassing really...well a lot embarrassing truth to say...

Tee hee! I think it's a sign of empathy. I downplayed my London accent while I lived in Manchester, and adopted some northernisms, because I was self conscious about sounding 'posh' (I'm not posh). One of the editors I worked with was from Fleetwood (north of Blackpool) - his first job had been in Aberdeen and he was somewhat bemused at being regarded there as a southerner!

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:
Tee hee! I think it's a sign of empathy. I downplayed my London accent while I lived in Manchester, and adopted some northernisms, because I was self conscious about sounding 'posh' (I'm not posh). One of the editors I worked with was from Fleetwood (north of Blackpool) - his first job had been in Aberdeen and he was somewhat bemused at being regarded there as a southerner!

I was in Southend a few Fridays back, chatting to a barman who referred to me and my bro as being northerners. To which I replied "we can only dream of being northerners. Call us north midlanders" we do like to divide ourselves up. Instinctive tribalism.

rojkerr1
did anyone hear the Vimes reference in Endeavour, Thursday talking about sgt vimes of Cable street, wow...my fave character, Paul Darrow asked me about him when he was considering Guards Guards...love Pratchett

BradPaula
rojkerr1 wrote:

did anyone hear the Vimes reference in Endeavour, Thursday talking about sgt vimes of Cable street, wow...my fave character, Paul Darrow asked me about him when he was considering Guards Guards...love Pratchett

How cool. We are huge Pratchett fans and miss him terribly. I think we have 98% of his books by now. We have a friend who is also a huge Pratchett fan here in America and when Brad told him Darrow was doing Guards, Guards! he stopped for a moment as he was stunned. When he read any of the Guards novels he always pictured Paul Darrow in the role of Vimes. I can see that too.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
he was offered the role whilst he was recording Logic, asked if anyone knew anything about it, I had to fight the urge to put my hand up! I described vimes to him as a cross between bogart and dirty harry, detailing the Errol scene, he said Sold!

Joe Dredd
Guards Guards - Last scene of Act One

Guards Guards - Final Scene

rojkerr1
thanks Joe

One Spare Part
Just finished reading Gaudy Night - oh how brilliant it is and served the dual purpose of being an intelligent and enthralling read and also distracting me from the plumbers ripping apart my bathroom to find a leak!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

rojkerr1
aww, sorry to hear that, I wont say you're plumbing the depths...was it the cold weather?

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

aww, sorry to hear that, I wont say you're plumbing the depths...was it the cold weather?

Who knows? The fault is in next door's property. We are the overspill. The tenant left last month and house is empty temporarily. My dad is beside himself so I am distracting him with sticky buns, beer and a day out tomorrow.

rojkerr1
good on ya

One Spare Part
Reading a lot of British crime novels to take my mind off plumbing problem. But my bedtime read is Dr Sleep the sequel to The Shining. 2nd time of trying, wasn't in the mood 1st time.

BradPaula
The Mueller Report.

Travisina
Having finished 2nd reading of 'The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle', have now returned to Patrick Rothfuss's 'The Name of the Wind', which continues to impress and irrate in equal measures.

rojkerr1
whitewash Paula, the teflon man strikes again

One Spare Part
Finished reading Busman's Honeymoon, the last full length Peter Wimsey story. I didn't really 'get' it 1st time of reading. So I got so much more from it this time around. But what shall I read next?

BradPaula
rojkerr1 wrote:

whitewash Paula, the teflon man strikes again

We'll see. LOL I'm not a Blake's rebel for nothing! Fight on! Angry

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Finished reading Busman's Honeymoon, the last full length Peter Wimsey story. I didn't really 'get' it 1st time of reading. So I got so much more from it this time around. But what shall I read next?

Having now read 'Evelyn Hardcastle' twice, I'm now re-discovering some very early Agatha Christies. So far: 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' - her first novel, that introduces Poirot. Now reading 'The Secret Adversary', which introduces Tommy & Tuppence - not a murder mystery but a jolly spy adventure romp, very Hitchcock (but predating him by several decades).

These are fascinating for all sorts of reasons - including her early writing style and the period in which they were written. World War 1 looms large - 'Styles' was written in 1916, though not published until 1920 after being rejected 6 times. 'Secret Adversary' has a prologue set in 1915, on the sinking Lusitania, but the main story takes place shortly after the end of the War - Tommy & Tuppence have finished their wartime jobs and are now looking for work. They're the epitome of the Bright Young Things of the 1920s. The government is worried about the Labour party organising unions and workers' strikes, and that the Russians are behind it.
Plus ca change!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
26,905,451 unique visits since 8th January 2014