Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,142
· Newest Rebel: blackprince

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 157
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
rojkerr1
Deathship, Earthsearch novel, great radio show....

One Spare Part
Just finished reading Tombland C J Sansom. Brilliant. Great writing about the ordinary men and women and the trials and tribulations they went through. Sansom gets you to feel their anguish, their desire for change. Oh the horror, the horror...
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
The Stone Sky, the third book in N.K. Jemisin's 'Broken Earth' trilogy. Absolutely brilliant - she's created an amazing world and characters, and the writing is superb. I've been waiting for this to come into the library for ages - there's been quite a queue of people wanting to read it! I might have to use some of my birthday money to buy the trilogy, because there's a lot of re-read value in them, even when knowing the reveals.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

The Stone Sky, the third book in N.K. Jemisin's 'Broken Earth' trilogy. Absolutely brilliant - she's created an amazing world and characters, and the writing is superb. I've been waiting for this to come into the library for ages - there's been quite a queue of people wanting to read it! I might have to use some of my birthday money to buy the trilogy, because there's a lot of re-read value in them, even when knowing the reveals.

Got book 1 after your stirring recommendation earlier BUT it has been on my to-read heap for a while now. 1st there was the Robert Galbraith then CJ Sansom...I have got to start the latest Carlos Ruiz Zafon...and my reading group book...plus some other recommendations that I DID get around to reading...there's not enough hours in the day!

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Got book 1 after your stirring recommendation earlier BUT it has been on my to-read heap for a while now. 1st there was the Robert Galbraith then CJ Sansom...I have got to start the latest Carlos Ruiz Zafon...and my reading group book...plus some other recommendations that I DID get around to reading...there's not enough hours in the day!

I do like Robert Galbraith, and have read all the previous ones, so I expect that will be next on my list. I'm also supposed to have read John Le Carre's 'Little Drummer Girl' for the book club, but I missed that meeting (it was on Wednesday) and although I've now got my hands on the book, I'm quailing a bit at its size. Meanwhile, there is a hardback Lee Child, wrapped under the Xmas tree!

Klenotka
I am ashamed to admit that I started - only now - reading Dracula by Bram Stroker. But boy, it is really good.
Donīt be Lasagne

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

I am ashamed to admit that I started - only now - reading Dracula by Bram Stroker. But boy, it is really good.

As a kid I loved to read history and biographies, but I hated fiction novels. Possibly because of what they made us read in school.
This is the book that go me hooked on reading fantasy and fiction. It was (and is) so much better than any movie ever made.

And quite the unique writing style.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
JustBrad wrote:

As a kid I loved to read history and biographies, but I hated fiction novels. Possibly because of what they made us read in school.
This is the book that go me hooked on reading fantasy and fiction.

I have a dislike/hate relationship with Austen and the Brontes due to what he had to read for our "O"levels. Quite soured me on a lot of the classics. I still can't bring myself to re-read Jane Eyre though I have managed to read P&P and S&S. About to start Northanger Abbey. One day I WILL finish Wuthering Heights.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

rojkerr1
I got my stepdaughter a rare edition of Dracula for Xmas, 1947, first USA paperback edition!

One Spare Part
Klenotka wrote:

It has been on my list to re-read for a while. Will do it next year - you have inspired me! Brad is right, no film ever made has got the book right.

Klenotka
I loved the one with Frank Langella. I had a crush on him for a while (didnīt matter I was 10 and he was 40 Grin )

I read everything as a kid, but I fell for sci-fi and fantasy very early on. Chronicles of Narnia was the one that brought me to fantasy (I see the religious part of it only today as an adult), Star Trek on TV (funnily enough) to sci-fi. But I found my way to sci-fi literature much later, through Orson Scott Cardīs Enderīs Game, I think. I am happy to say that there are still a lots of classics in the genre I still have to read.
I never got into "Dune" for example and I tried to read it twice.
Edited by Klenotka on 24 December 2018 10:50:09
Donīt be Lasagne

Travisina
Klenotka wrote:
Chronicles of Narnia was the one that brought me to fantasy (I see the religious part of it only today as an adult)

My earliest fave fantasy books were Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, and I discovered Narnia when I was about 9 years old and borrowed The Lion, The Witch & the Wardrobe from a cousin. After that, I read all the others in rapid succession, making frequent trips to our lovely local library. Narnia is forever associated with the smells of floor wax, wood polish and plastic-covered hardback books. Having a Jewish upbringing meant that the Christian aspect of Narnia, Aslan etc went completely unnoticed until it was pointed out to me as an adult. I love all the Narnia books and have re-read them so many times I can quote them by heart. Regardless of any religious message, they're just wonderful stories.

One Spare Part
Totally agree guys re christian message in Narnia books. As a child you read for the story only and the Narnia stories were cracking! I actually think the spiritual message could apply across the board.
Klenotka - have you read the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? Great fantasy novels.

JustBrad
I mentioned Dracula.

I really go hooked when I 'discovered' Tolkien in college.

It's not necessarily a Christian message, but if you read LOTR carefully, you discover the true nature of Galdalf and Saruman, and exactly who Sauron is really fighting and rebelling against, and you realize that in the long run, he doesn't stand a chance.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

I really go hooked when I 'discovered' Tolkien in college.

I was 18 and just out of high school, when I discovered Tolkein. I was initially attracted to LOTR because I thought it would be like a 'grown-up Narnia'!
Immediately hooked, couldn't put it down, and as soon as I got to the end I started again from the beginning. Life-changing!

rojkerr1
I like the Jack Palance Dracula, apart from the dogs pretending to be wolves, the beeb one with Louis Jordan was good too

Klenotka
One Spare Part wrote:

Klenotka - have you read the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card? Great fantasy novels.

I donīt know that one, I think. I only read Ender books from him (there are a lots of them, first four or five books are excellent, and I still didn īt read the rest Smile )
Donīt be Lasagne

rojkerr1
Turtle in the Shell, first draft Department S script, eventually became Blackout

RichardMk2
I started reading "The Pier Falls" by Mark Hadden, which is a collection of his short stories. But I've given on it during the 4th story as I've found them very depressing. Stories 2 and 3 have very similar plots despite being set on a Greek Island in the time of the Minoan empire in the first case and a Northern Council estate in the second.

Instead I'm now reading "Felix the Railway Cat" by Kate Moore. A factual book which tells the story of a real life cat, Felix who is now the Senior Pest Controller at Huddersfield Railway Station in West Yorkshire, England.

BradPaula
Ready to start Tony Lee's Doctor Who 'The Forgotten' and 'Batlestar Galactica 1880'.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
22,378,766 unique visits since 8th January 2014