Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 17

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
Rainesz
Angry Angel wrote:

Rainesz wrote:

Because I just watched "Robots of Death" (Tom Baker era) I wanted to read the sequel novel (Corpse Marker) by Chris Boucher—which also has our friend Carnell in it. Smile So that's what I'm reading right now.

Also: because I just started watching Sapphire & Steel for the very first time (I know: where have I been?) I wanted some more David Collings... or at least the character Poul, whom he played. Wink

I love Robots of Death, one of my absolute favourite episodes, so I'd be interested to know what you think of the novel. How are you enjoying S & S so far?

I'm halfway through it so far and Chris Boucher as a novelist is very entertaining and funny. He writes the Fourth Doctor well and especially Leela, who is just plain awesome in this. Leela was his creation, after all. The story picks up years after Robots of Death with the survivors a little older and Ander Poul, David Collings' character, is in therapy and still having panic attacks.

I absolutely LOVE Sapphire & Steel—this would have terrified me had I seen it as a kid. I'm on the last "assignment" and I don't want it to end. I have to admit to being especially fond of Silver (as you might have figured out) and I'm disappointed that Big Finish discontinued the S&S audios. Sad Despite having different actors, (I'll listen or watch David Warner in anything!) I want to know what happens to everyone.
Edited by Rainesz on 23 March 2017 00:26:43

Rainesz
rojkerr1 wrote:

Try the Kaldor City audios, all set within that universe, with Avon and Carnell

Yes!! I need to find these. I've heard a lot of good things about them. The Doctor Who/Blake's 7 *sort of* crossover we've all wanted.

Travisina
Just back from holiday, where my reading was:

1. The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. I'm not a fan of Philip Roth, I think he's wildly overrated, but the premise of the book was intriguing enough to keep me reading - an AU in which Charles Lindbergh (antisemitic, admirer of Hitler) becomes US President in 1940. This was written in 2004, so I think pre-dates the current slew of AUs like 'The Man in the High Castle' and 'SS-GB'.

2. Nemesis by Agatha Christie. After the violence and angst of the above, it was nice to relax with some Miss Marple sleuthing. Published in 1971, it's one of her later books, and there's a distinct Mary-Sue-ish feel to the way the ageing writer depicts her ageing heroine.

3. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Actually, I read this on the plane on the way home - my flight was delayed by 3 hours, but this book was so gripping that the time flew by (in every sense of the word) and by the time I got home I'd nearly finished it.

Now I have several Dexters and the book club selection (which I need to finish by Tuesday's meeting) to pick up at the library...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

rojkerr1
Uvanov as well, was one of Russell Hunters last jobs unfortunately

rojkerr1
I love Sapphire and Steel, but something about the Railway story really got my goat...regards Dave TULLEY....! I'd like a word with Steel...

Rainesz
rojkerr1 wrote:

I love Sapphire and Steel, but something about the Railway story really got my goat...regards Dave TULLEY....! I'd like a word with Steel...

Oh, I know. That was brutal of Steel. Sad
Avon would be proud.

Angry Angel
Rainesz wrote:

I'm halfway through it so far and Chris Boucher as a novelist is very entertaining and funny. He writes the Fourth Doctor well and especially Leela, who is just plain awesome in this. Leela was his creation, after all. The story picks up years after Robots of Death with the survivors a little older and Ander Poul, David Collings' character, is in therapy and still having panic attacks.

That sounds very promising, I'll have to check it out.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Angry Angel
Travisina wrote:

1. The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. I'm not a fan of Philip Roth, I think he's wildly overrated, but the premise of the book was intriguing enough to keep me reading - an AU in which Charles Lindbergh (antisemitic, admirer of Hitler) becomes US President in 1940. This was written in 2004, so I think pre-dates the current slew of AUs like 'The Man in the High Castle' and 'SS-GB'.

The Man in the High Castle was published in 1962, and SS-GB came out in 1978, so they definitely pre-date this one Wink

Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

The Man in the High Castle was published in 1962, and SS-GB came out in 1978, so they definitely pre-date this one Wink

Aha, so Philip Roth was inspired by (or nicked the idea from) those two. Hmm...

Angry Angel
It's an entire sub genre, just google 'alternate history novels ww2'. Fatherland by Robert Harris (1992) is a famous one, and I think Harry Turtledove has written quite a few, as well as alternate versions of other parts of history.

Gauda Cheese
TNG's Headlong Flight was a lot of fun!

Now reading TNG The Romulan Stratagem.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

President Solvite
Angry Angel wrote:

It's an entire sub genre, just google 'alternate history novels ww2'. Fatherland by Robert Harris (1992) is a famous one, and I think Harry Turtledove has written quite a few, as well as alternate versions of other parts of history.

An alternate ending to the American Civil War is another popular one.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
Angry Angel wrote:

I like AUs in general ('Yesterday's Enterprise' is probably my fave TNG ep) but I find the WW2 ones a bit too disturbing (for obvious reasons). The TV series 'An Englishman's Castle' was brilliant, but I was absolutely lacerated by the end.

President Solvite
SS-GB was also a good , if not disturbing what if??

But it (or at least the TV series seems to hinge on the Battle of Britain being hinged solely on the RAF) Whilst I'm not saying that the gallant few weren't instrumental at turning the tide. There were several other factors and events that would have frustrated invasion for the Germans. Many other things would have to had happened, to make the novel more credible. I suppose that is the point of an AU story, but I think it works best for me anyway if it can be done over a single (initial) event and have the plot progress from there. As it was we need to swallow many more events which lessens (for me) the shock value of the concept as it does leave the whole premise as a complete fantasy. But again, given the nature of the topic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Whilst repeating myself, that I do not wish to cast doubt on the importance of the RAF in WW2 but the Germans would have also needed to overcome (at least) The Royal Navy, Problems of resupply of an invasion force, lack of proper landing craft, lack of mechanisation (at least in 40/41), Motor Torpedo Boats, the weather and the inability of the Luftwaffe to overcome fast (or even slower!) boats and ships that would devastate any landing operation. Remember it was a close run thing with the allies (with far more resources, planning and assets) in 1944. There were many other issues too but I suppose that in an infinite multi-verse anything is possible we just have to accept in this story the Nazi's were not just incredibly lucky, they also had some major technological and logistical improvements with perhaps some poor choices on the part of the allies.

When a character in the story asked Archer how did they lose the war? I was pretty much asking the same thing! Grin
However, don't let me detract from the story or discourage anyone reading the book or watching the series, it is an interesting genre as outcomes are often a result of finely balanced choices and possibilities. I haven't seen or read Fatherland or An Englishman's Castle but I suspect they will be similarly woolly on how exactly the characters got to be in this situation and its more about how they deal with the current situation. Perhaps that is the point but for me their does need to be some clear credible(ish) logic of how our characters have come to be there. A stretch or two, too far?

The TV series did receive criticism of sound quality for the first episode, but for me it was all clear with the audible and visual impact being quite striking and disturbing despite a small voice inside me asking how??!"££
Edited by President Solvite on 25 March 2017 08:22:02

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Joe Dredd
Issue 3 of "Vworp Vworp", the Doctor Who fanzine dedicated to Doctor Who comics, DWM and related paraphernalia. I say "fanzine" but it's a glossy magazine and this third issue is a giant-killing 208 pages.

Vworp Vworp 3 comes with a choice of three covers plus an audio CD - "The Mechanical Planet", written by Alan Stevens, with sound design by Alistair Lock, and starring David Graham and Sasha Mitchell (see if you can recognise her as Arlen from the last episode of B7!). (The version with the TV21 style cover also comes with a 7" single of "The Mechanical Planet", in addition to the CD.)

It even features an interview with our very own Exterminator (though he seems to be channelling Og in the accompanying photo!)

Links:
Vworp Vworp website
Buy it here
Vworp Vworp Twitter page
The Mechanical Planet - Background
Teaser trailer for The Mechanical Planet

Gauda Cheese
Travisina thoughts on Night School?

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina thoughts on Night School?

Stalled, at the moment! It's a hardback belonging to my neighbour, so I didn't want to take it away on holiday. Right now I've got my bookclub book (The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan - story of the Bronte sisters) to finish before the meeting on Tuesday - and I've only just started it.

But my initial thoughts on Night School are that I'm not as gripped as I usually am by Lee Child - the very fact that it's stalled says something in itself. In general, I prefer the first-person narrated Jack Reachers to the 3rd-person ones, but the very first one I read and which got me hooked was '61 Hours' which was a 3rd person-er. So I'll let you know when I pick up 'Night School' again...

sweevo
"The Godfather" - wow... a LOT of content was condensed or removed entirely for the film adaptation (although most of the excised content, particularly Vito Corleone's backstory and his rise to power, appears in the sequel).

Gauda Cheese
The Romulan Stratagem is a well reguarded TNG book. I don't think it holds up well. Its reads exactly like an episode of TNG, but one of the boring ones.

Finished the TOS book Vulcan Academy Murders, a book where your first guess as to the culprit is the correct one.

Now reading TOS Doctor's Orders.

Gauda Cheese
If you like Doctor Leonard McCoy, check out Doctor's Orders, by Diane Duane.

Now onto TOS, From History's Shadow

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
9,892,261 unique visits since 8th January 2014