Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Og-tober Fanfic Challenge
littlesue
Lurena wrote:

Thank you Anniew and Meegat!
I'm afraid I still have an enormous list of plots waiting to feed Littlesue.
It seems life will be too short when it comes to write about a certain favourite subject.... But we love doing so.

Not to mention the one or two stories waiting in the wings!!!
Just not enough time in the day.
And thank you for lovely comments...I try my best, but having had these characters in my head for almost 37 years does help Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
@Anniew: Brilliant poem, and your choice of animals is spot on in (nearly) all cases; and while I can't really see Cally as a hedgehog or Soolin as a snake, your reasons for matching them with these animals make perfect sense. I don't even know yet which animals I would choose for them ... maybe I should give this question some consideration. Hey, your poem makes me actually think about what you said! Isn't that what every writer hopes?

@LS & Lurena: Your story could easily be fleshed out as a novelette or a full-blown B7 episode with the confrontation of Servalan and Avon as the climax. That would have been a cracking ep! But I am glad that you compressed the potential novel to a short story - I hate reading long texts on a computer monitor.

Anniew
Hugbot, I am so glad I made you think. I wanted to find a way of expressing the duality in Cally, the fact she's a warrior but so vulnerable at the same time - I kind of compromised there, but I think Soolin is like a sleek, beautiful snake - she's not emotionally vested in her killing- just doing it to earn her keep- but so expert at it!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Hugbot wrote:

@Anniew: Brilliant poem, and your choice of animals is spot on in (nearly) all cases; and while I can't really see Cally as a hedgehog or Soolin as a snake, your reasons for matching them with these animals make perfect sense. I don't even know yet which animals I would choose for them ... maybe I should give this question some consideration. Hey, your poem makes me actually think about what you said! Isn't that what every writer hopes?

@LS & Lurena: Your story could easily be fleshed out as a novelette or a full-blown B7 episode with the confrontation of Servalan and Avon as the climax. That would have been a cracking ep! But I am glad that you compressed the potential novel to a short story - I hate reading long texts on a computer monitor.

Well, strangely enough, other 'security' devices created by this mysterious inventor could well turn up in another story.
The Dodgems short story led to a much longer bit of fiction which should hopefully be appearing on our site once Lurena has completed a couple of piccies.
I, too, have trouble reading from a computer screen but it is so much better for actually composing a story. Whereas, back in the day everything I did was hand written and then printed up by people who were much better at typing than me! What you could do is copy and paste and print a hard copy for yourself.
And thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.

Gauda Cheese
I might jump into the challenge next month. I'm on a big writing kick lately and selfishly I've been too busy with my own stuff. In my defense I am not an Animals fan so if only this coincided with the Aussie rewatch.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Travisina
I've been on holiday for a week, and took my story to work on while I was away. So I was a bit dismayed when I returned to find that Anniew had already come up with a similar idea to mine! However, I hope that my basic premise is different enough.

The Year of The...

"Pig!" announced Orac. "Blake is a pig."

Blake paused halfway down the steps to the flight deck and exchanged puzzled looks with Gan and Jenna.

Gan shrugged. "It called me an ox."

"And I'm a tiger." Jenna tossed her head, but didn't seem entirely displeased.

"For a computer worth a hundred million credits, Orac doesn't seem to be of much practical use," grumbled Blake. "Maybe we should have let Servalan have it after all, if it can only make unreliable predictions and insult us."

"My prediction was not misleading, nor are the animal comparisons insulting," stated Orac. "On the contrary -" it broke off as Vila and Cally entered the flight deck together. It whirred briefly before continuing, "Rabbit and Sheep."

"Which is which?" asked Jenna.

"I would have thought that was obvious," said Orac. "Vila is the Rabbit."

Vila stared at it. "What's that thing on about now? I bet this is Avon's doing."

"Not at all," huffed Orac, as Avon came down the steps. "This is the result of research and meticulous calculations. Avon is a Cock."

Vila gave a snort of laughter. "Couldn't have put it better myself."

"A Rooster," Orac clarified.

Avon approached menacingly while the others tried to hide their amusement with varying degrees of success. "You'd better explain," he growled, "or you'll just be a pile of spare parts."

"Very well," said Orac, pleased to be asked. "As demonstrated, I possess the ability to predict events that have not yet taken place. My research into other predictive systems led me to discover this ancient one, which predates even the Old Calendar on Earth. This particular system ascribes an animal to each Earth year, and those born within that year are said to exhibit the characteristics of that animal. I had to recalculate your birth dates and locations in order to apply them to this system, but the results are fascinating and remarkably accurate.

"I see," said Blake, crossly. "So I'm a pig, am I?"

"We don't need ancient systems to tell us that," Vila grinned. "I've seen the way you eat."

"It has nothing to do with food," snapped Orac. "According to this culture, the Pig's defining traits are honour and courage. The Pig is determined and has great fortitude and inner strength."

"That's not so bad," Blake conceded. "Alright, what about Gan?"

"The Ox is loyal, reliable, hard-working and trusting. Its great physical strength makes it dangerous when angered."

"Or when its limiter malfunctions," murmured Jenna.

"Can't argue with that," said Gan placidly.

"My turn next," said Vila. "Rabbits are cute and cuddly. Is that right, Orac?"

"No, the Rabbit is cautious."

"Cowardly, more like," said Avon.

"I prefer 'cautious'," said Vila, disappointed. "Is that all?"

"There is more: the Rabbit is uncomplicated..."

"You mean, simple." Jenna exchanged a smile with Avon.

"Please stop interrupting! The Rabbit is also talented and sociable, but prefers to leave leadership to those who are stronger."

"That's me - talented and friendly, with a strong sense of self preservation," Vila summarised, with a baleful look at Avon and Jenna. "Now tell us about tigers."

"The Tiger is confident, charismatic, independent and brave."

Jenna smiled. "I like that."

"But Tigers can also be selfish, aggressive and short-tempered," warned Orac, and Jenna's smile faded.

"You said that Cally's a Sheep," said Vila. "Is it the curly hair?"

"Don't be frivolous," said Orac. "The Sheep is empathic, intuitive and artistic. Sheep are also non-judgemental, and protective of the weak."

"Only when the weak deserve to be protected," said Cally pointedly.

"And what about the Cock - I mean, Rooster?" asked Vila, enjoying himself.

"The Rooster is intelligent and confident," said Orac. "It fights boldly against adversaries and combines punctiliousness with precise attention to detail."

Avon sat expressionless throughout the description, finally allowing himself a small smile of acknowledgement.

"And as for you, Orac," said Vila, "You're just a rat in a box."

"You are correct."

"What?"

"The Rat's defining characteristic is wisdom," said Orac smugly. "The Rat is charming and well respected for its intelligence and resourcefulness..."

"That remains to be seen," interrupted Avon, decisively removing its key.

Edited by Travisina on 25 October 2015 15:20:03
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Ellen York
ORAC dabbling in astrology or possibly just messing with the crew, I like it. I can picture the scene unfolding in my head.
The Chinese buffet we ate at when I was a kid had the zodiac signs and years printed on the place mats and I would entertain myself checking the signs of various people that I knew.

meegat39
Great story Travisina and great comparisons with animals. I particularly like Gan the Ox and Cally the Sheep. Not too sure about the rabbit one, because rabbit's can be quite vicious!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
We may have had the same idea Travisina but this is way, way more sophisticated in conception and delivery. I love Orac fulfilling his oracle role and Avon's final pleasure at the characteristics of the rooster ( though Orac did leave out 'vain' which must surely apply).

Ellen York
My muse is in hiding again (sigh!).

Og watched for a moment. He tilted his head and raised his hand to scratch the fur just in front of his right horn.
‘Nngh?’ he said.
'You look very festive,' said Vila reaching up to adjust the strand of lights decorating Og's horns, 'and just what we need to complete our Christmas decorations, a Yule Og'

Anniew
Oh that's a great pun, Ellen. Kudos!

Travisina
Thanks for the kind comments about 'The Year of The...'

@Anniew - I think your story should have more credit for original thought, I was just having fun messing about with the Chinese signs, trying to figure out which was most appropriate to which B7 character. And you're right, I should have added 'vain' as one of the Rooster's characteristics!
@Meegat - Yes, rabbits can be vicious (none more so than the one in Monty Python & the Holy Grail!) but I was going by the Chinese definitions.

@Ellen - that's a very neat tale, with a great pun!

Travisina
Just getting in under the wire (again! I really shouldn't leave these to the last minute!) - with a short complete-the-scene:

Og watched for a moment. He tilted his head and raised his hand to scratch the fur just in front of his right horn. ‘Nngh?’ he said.

He sniffed the air, tasting the the scent of the human female before he heard her voice calling his name. He conveyed the information to the other animals, giving them the chance to flee while he confronted her.

Cruelly deprived of speech by their creators, Og and his kin had developed alternative forms of communication. The eyes that had been developed to withstand radiation were able to perceive the auras that surrounded all living beings. Their ears could discern a wide range of sounds, from the skitter of tiny insects on a leaf to the air-splitting roar of a space craft. Og understood the insultingly simplistic words the human male used when addressing him, and he knew when those words were at odds with the actions that followed. He could recognise the lies.

Now the female was approaching him, holding the weapon that had killed two of his siblings. Og sniffed the air again, identifying her trepidation. He could see her aura flickering red and orange as she unsuccessfully tried to mask her fear with a smile and soft words. He paused. She appeared to mean him no harm, and so he tried to warn her about the human male. But from her responses, Og realised that she was unable to interpret his non-verbal communication: his stance, the tilt of his head, the widening of his eyes. He clumsily pointed to his head, desperately trying to tell her:
Do not trust that man! He is cruel, he is false, he will hurt you!

For a few moments, Og thought that she understood. Then she came closer and touched his arm, and through his fur he felt the shocking revelation of her attraction to the human male. She too was false, she too wanted to imprison him, to subject him to more pain.

Sickened with that knowledge, he reeled and violently pushed her aside, not caring where she fell. Then he turned away and led his fellow animals back into the shelter of the woods.

Anniew
Oh I like the idea that Og has a sixth sense about people- as do animals- but is also able to articulate it to himself to a degree. And I'm with Og all the way on this - I too wish to chuck Dayna into a bush to knock some sense into her. Attraction to Justin - urggggh!

littlesue
Sorry this is a bit late. I'm afraid that there is no pcture as Lurena is out of contact at the moment, but this little effort also concerns Og's trip to RTGP3....strange that!

Og watched for a moment. He tilted his head and raised his hand to scratch the fur just in front of his right horn.
“Nngh?” he said.
Which one to choose?
So many nice shiny ones.
The white one looked quite nice; the back was down so he could very easily sneak in.
Hang on.
Someone’s coming.
She’s carrying boxes…quick hide.
What is it she has on that black T-shirt?
Oh dear, he recognised the outline emblazoned on the letters.
No, that white one will not do and besides, the grey haired one is coming out and she has a weapon; a long stick. Is it an electric lance of some nature?
Og decided it was too risky to find out.
One was fully armed with a stick and had a wheeled vehicle and the other wore the badge of the Dayna’s friend.
No, it wouldn’t be safe.
He waited for the box- carrying one to go back inside.
The grey haired one smiled at him as he walked past.
She seemed harmless enough, but these Earth people could be very deceptive.
Og quickly looked round.
He spotted a red one; not as shiny, but very inviting.
He clambered inside.
The sounds of voices reached his furry ears.
People were saying their goodbyes.
The one with the black T-shirt clambered into the white shiny vehicle and reversed out.
As it pulled away, the white haired lady waved at Og.
“Who are you waving at, Mum?”
“Oh just one of the very nice people who came and sat down and chatted to me while you were off getting me tea, talking to those other two nice ladies and that Nick chap.”
And the shiny white car drove off, leaving Og to wave at the friendly white haired lady who had told him all about her encounter with the horse and cart that had bolted through the hedge, her time in the Army and her time working at the Co-op where she had bumped into someone called Max Bygraves.
He would remember that…and tell the driver of this red car all about it….when he got home!!

Hugbot
Oh great, more fascinating stories coming in at the last moment!
@ Travisina: Great idea to use the Chinese horoscope. It was interesting to see that the definitions of the Chinese horoscope do not necessarily match what we usually associate with the given animals - but your pairings work either way! (By the way, I'm a dragon.) And I loved your Og story! You have already written several pieces that retell a well-known scene but give surprising insights to what was really going on. It was fascinating to learn something new about the nature of the Bucol animals and about Og's real motivation for throwing Dayna down the cliff.

@ Ellen: You muse seems to work brilliantly even when she is hiding. I had a good laugh at that!

@ LittleSue: Aww, what a lovely story! I hope your mum does like it.

It was quite a hectic month for me but maybe I can contribute a story before midnight ...

trevor travis
Hugbot wrote:It was quite a hectic month for me but maybe I can contribute a story before midnight ...

Og is depending on it Wink

Hugbot
trevor travis wrote:

Hugbot wrote:It was quite a hectic month for me but maybe I can contribute a story before midnight ...

Og is depending on it Wink

Well, I can't let Og down, can I?

Like Master Like Man

‘Nngh?’ he said.

‘Come on,’ Roj urged him, ‘where is the bean? Show me!’

Cautiously Og stretched out a hand and tapped at one of the coconut shells.

‘You’re sure?’

Og wasn’t sure, but nonetheless he grunted his consent. Roj lifted the shell. There was no bean. Of course not. Roj knew how to play the game. The bean was palmed in his hand.

‘Lost again’, he smiled, ‘pay up!’

Slowly Og rummaged around in the pile of junk at his side. Finally he placed some pieces of scrap metal in front of him. The Bucol animals had torn Justin’s lab to pieces and hidden all the parts. Some of them were still useful.

Roj took a scrutinising look at the parts. Yes, there was a transponder that he could use to get off this planet. But he needed more components.

‘Play again?’ he asked.

It wasn’t fair. But he had to survive somehow. Avon had lost him on this planet and he had to find some means to get off this hole. Fortunately, his human companion was a master embezzler and had shown him one or two tricks. And he had tought him ruthlessness.

When Og nodded, Roj Bear shuffled the coconut shells once again.

Hugbot
Cain

Their information had been wrong. There was no sign of any Federation outpost whatsoever on the planet. It was a young world, its highest developed life forms being hairy hominids who were roaming the plains.

Avon and Blake stood at the exact spot where the alleged outpost should be located. There was nothing here except shrubs and bushes. In a small recess, the embers of a camp fire slowly went out. A lonely hunter sat at the fireplace, humming dreamingly and gazing at the clouds. He was obviously a very successful member of his profession: The dead bodies of half a dozen dog-sized mammals were piled up near the fire. Meat enough for his family or his hunting group. He had earned his rest.

Hidden behind the bushes, Avon and Blake watched the hunter. The scene was fascinating and repelling at the same time. It reminded them of the fact that ten thousands of years before, one of their ancestors had been a hairy hominid like this fellow, roaming the plains, hunting animals and devouring raw meat.

All of a sudden, another one of the primitives emerged from the bushes. The hunter slowly turned his head – too slowly. Within seconds, the femur in the hand of his antagonist came down on his head and crushed his skull. Avon and Blake watched in horror as the hunter sank dead to the ground. Without hesitation, the attacker picked up as much of the prey as he could carry.

Full of wrath Blake drew his gun, but before he could take aim he felt Avon’s grip around his wrist.

‘What do you want to do?’ Avon asked, ‘punish him?’ He smiled mockingly, and there was this flicker of amused superiority in his eyes that Blake had learned to hate.

‘His behaviour is hardly the ideal foundation for a civilisation, isn’t it?’ he growled, ‘this is the mindset of the Federation: Messing around with the lives of others and taking advantage of them.’

‘So you want to remove the attacker frome the gene pool?’

Blake scoffed. ‘If you want to put it this way ...’

‘But by doing that you would be his Federation, wouldn’t you?’

Blake couldn’t believe that Avon sympathised with the attacker. ‘Look what he has done! He is an animal! Can you imagine what type of civilisation they will build upon this mindset? A society of animals, killing each other for their own profit.’

‘Oh, I can imagine this type of civilisation very well. After all, that is exactly the way our own civilisation started, isn’t it? On this foundation, we built a long history of war, torture and cruelty ... but also the Taj Mahal, the Mona Lisa, Hamlet, the Brandenburg concertos ...’

There was no use in further discussing the fate of the attacker. He had lifted up four of the six pseudo-dogs and vanished behind the bushes. There was nothing left in the recess but two of the dead animals, the dead hunter and the dying embers.

‘Let them find their own way’, Avon said, ‘let them do their own cruel deeds and paint their own Mona Lisa. Maybe in ten thousand years, they will be less savage than we are today.’

Ellen York
Sue, that is so cute, your Mum made friends with Og

Hugbot, the month wouldn't be complete without a Roj Bear story. And "Cain" is very good characterization of both Blake and Avon.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
9,133,492 unique visits since 8th January 2014