Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Television Discussion
BradPaula
Natural Stupidity wrote:

I've just started on the original Survivors. Shame on me for taking so long to get around to another Terry Nation creation! Only four episodes in but finding it highly compelling. I feel a weekend marathon coming!

Oh and hi from Sydney by the way! First post. Smile

We recently finished a rewatch of the original Survivors series on the Forum. I had never seen it until urged to buy the series by fellow rewatchers Spaceship Dispatcher and Trevor Travis. I loved it. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
GoldChannel wrote:

ahh, the original Survivors.... I remember (a bit like B7) catching some episodes of this on UK Gold back in the early 90s.

very grim.... which of course was rather the point!

one of these days I will catch up with it on dvd

Is anyone else here a Babylon 5 fan? I just finished watching season 3. Big big fan of this.... I keep picking up the DVD season box sets periodically from CEX, and got 4 and 5 to watch too Smile it's also where my username comes from *lol

We are both fans of Babylon 5. We try and watch the entire series every few years or so. Part of the allure was that we had seen and met many of the actors involved even before we had seen the series- years ago at conventions. The other part of the allure was its creator, J. Michael Straczynski is a fan of Blake's 7 himself. Have you ever wondered about Sheridan's wife's name? Anna? One wonders. It's also a great example of a proper story arc. -Paula (and Brad)
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Angry Angel
GoldChannel wrote:

Is anyone else here a Babylon 5 fan? I just finished watching season 3. Big big fan of this.... I keep picking up the DVD season box sets periodically from CEX, and got 4 and 5 to watch too Smile it's also where my username comes from *lol

Big B5 fan here too, one of my absolutely favourite series!

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Klenotka
I guess I will use this thread for my "Watching Hustle for the first time" reactions Smile

I got to season 5 and even though I still enjoy it, I donīt feel itīs...right. The change of main characters is always a tricky thing. Surprisingly, I think they made Mickey a little more likeable here. He doesnīt have Danny to compete with and he has two willing students who donīt argue too much. Emma seems really cool and her and Seanīs interesting background has a big potential and brings something new to the show - a real family. We heard Mickey (and later Danny) to talk about family but Emma and Sean are as much of a family as you can get. She basically raised him. So I like them both.
BUT, I think it will take me some time to get used to the new dynamic in the team. Albert was missing in first few episodes of S5 and I am not sure about Mickey/Emma chemistry at all. They tried to imply some romantic tension but I canīt see it. Maybe I will get there eventually and I think it just takes time for new people to "click". It took me a while to learn to like previous bunch in Season 1 as well.

I disliked Mickey in first three seasons - I felt he was too arrogant and his plans were...too perfect. He was also very patronizing.
He seems much more relaxed here. Or maybe I just got used to him.

But so far, I may be in a minority (again) when I say that Season 4 is my favourite so far. I loved Danny as a leader. He was as brilliant as Mickey, but he thought more on his feet and was just...well, also a bit annoying and arrogant but in a cute way Grin I canīt explain it Grin Marc Warren is great in everything he does so it may help as well. But overall, I liked Season 4 because I could never be sure if their plan will work and it wasnīt just too perfect as with Mickey in charge.
That said, I thought the character of Billy didnīt really work at all - and he never really got a chance to develop as a character since he had only about 5 full episodes.

So, yeah, my opinion so far. But I am only in the middle of Season 5 so I guess I have to wait and see Smile

Asimov
Hi,

Well I have seen every episode of hustle and liked most of it. The last season was the weakest I think, especially with too many cast changes, but was still enjoyable. Nice to see Robert Vaugn in something again too.

I think the modern version of Survivors was bound to suffer the same fate of this kind of story. There are only so many farm yards you can stop at before it gets boring.
I have just been watching "falling skies" and it is only a matter of time before it gets boring. They have been holding up in a school, and some ways it is similar to survivors, and as I thought it was only a matter of time before they had to start looking for food and then obviously finding other enemy factions. all these stories tend to run ouf of steam very quick and get boring unfortunately.

Just watched the first series of the "The Dome". They will probably cancel it before a second series no doubt.

Angry Angel
Falling Skies is a bit different from something like Survivors, or even Walking Dead, because there's a specific, thinking and changing threat in the aliens, so it's more of a war rather than a survival scenario.

Asimov
Hi Angry Angel,

I agree "falling skies" is a little different, but if you take away the alien threat you have Survivors.

I wasn't so keen on the original Survivors either really, but then I was only young then, born in 1969. Have watched a couple of episodes recently and I still wasn't too keen on the premise.

Angry Angel
Asimov wrote:

Hi Angry Angel,

I agree "falling skies" is a little different, but if you take away the alien threat you have Survivors.

That seems like a massive difference though! In Survivors the vast majority of the population has died, but after the disease has died down the problems are day to day survival and other human beings. In Falling Skies a great deal of the population has died, but nothing like as many, and a large number of children are also enslaved. There is the massive and ever present threat of the aliens and so humans have got together in reasonably large groups, often with a military basis, to fight the aliens as well as survive.

Asimov
Hi all,

I am also watching the new Battlestar Galactica, and what I can't understand is why have the made StarBuck a women. I mean the name buck would sound like a male name anyway.

Also some of the white people have become black and some of the black people white. I mean why not leave it the same.

I agree the music is terrible. Five minutes of a badly tuned drum machine.

Oh yeh now the cylons are human or, the cgi is too expensive. Well I would have been happy with people in costumes like the original.

Also why are they all acting like Marines, instead of people from another world. I liked the strong Egyptian theme of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Even though there was no cgi in the original I do think the actual dog fights were better too.

Although I know in reality it would be impossible to bank a spaceship in space heh heh.

Klenotka
Asimov wrote:

Hi all,

I am also watching the new Battlestar Galactica, and what I can't understand is why have the made StarBuck a women. I mean the name buck would sound like a male name anyway.

Also some of the white people have become black and some of the black people white. I mean why not leave it the same.

I agree the music is terrible. Five minutes of a badly tuned drum machine.

Oh yeh now the cylons are human or, the cgi is too expensive. Well I would have been happy with people in costumes like the original.

Also why are they all acting like Marines, instead of people from another world. I liked the strong Egyptian theme of the original Battlestar Galactica.

Even though there was no cgi in the original I do think the actual dog fights were better too.

Although I know in reality it would be impossible to bank a spaceship in space heh heh.

OK, I am not arguing about Starbuck man/woman thing because she annoyed me, then I started to like her (and Katee Sackhoff was great) but I think it is not as big issue as some people make it (including Dirk Benedict, who is known to be a little sexist anyway).
I had my own problems with later seasons and the religious theme they started. I generally hate religious stuff on TV for various reasons.

But I completely disagree about music. Bear McCreary is one of my favourite music composers and even though he has his "trademark" (but so does Hans Zimmer or John Williams), he is never repetitive. I have his soundtrack to Eureka and it is completely different. His "Europa" soundtrack is very interesting as well. Maybe BSG music may be a little too agressive in some places but definitely not the same or repetitive.

President Solvite
Bear McCreary was nominated for an award for this efforts as I recall.

Each season has a different theme and dare I say it improves with each season.

Must rewatch it again the new BSG.. along with Babylon 5... So much media, so little time Sad

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Klenotka
Yes, I finished Hustle and now I am torn if I should start something completely new again or rewatch (finally) Blakeīs 7 or Life on Mars. I found out that two shows at once are too time consuming and I just canīt do it with my four free hours in the evening...thanks God I watch only Grimm and Game of Thrones in premiere. I donīt how people watching ten shows a week do it (yes, I know a few who can do that).

I think I am just going to rewatch Season 4 of Hustle and then maybe Mad Dogs or I could give some Star Trek another chance...

Asimov
Hi Klenotka,

But I completely disagree about music. Bear McCreary is one of my favourite music composers and even though he has his "trademark" (but so does Hans Zimmer or John Williams), he is never repetitive. I have his soundtrack to Eureka and it is completely different. His "Europa" soundtrack is very interesting as well. Maybe BSG music may be a little too agressive in some places but definitely not the same or repetitive.

I am not saying he isn't a great composer, he probably is, but I thought the BG music was lazy, and a little thoughtless.
Perhaps it is because the original music was so iconic.

I really hope when they remake Blake's 7 that they use a little of the original music. I mean if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

In the 80's and 90's as soon as you hear the theme music it had a sound of it's own. Many programs like "The six million dollar man", "Time Tunnel" and the "Tomorrow people" had music you could identify with straight away.

A lot of recent television series use generic sounding music which doesn't capture the series at all. For instance the music in the new Tomorrow people is so forgettable.
Asimov
3D Artist
http://www.asimov...ises.co.uk
“You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.”

Angry Angel
I loved Bear McCreary's music in BSG, especially the opening credits, it always got me really excited for the episode. I thought it was great that the original theme was also used in the show, as ceremonial music.

President Solvite
I think it was the Colonial Anthem..

Which was a nice touch to the original series. I also think Richard Hatch did good with his role of Tom Zarek.. Quite a contrast to the original Apollo. Also the classic cylons are explained and shown both in the pilot and in later episodes

Asimov
Hi all,

I am going to watch all seasons, but the biggest thing that annoyed me was human cylons.
I would love to see Terminator like cylons. They have the cgi to do it as well, it seemed like a waste, and a cop out.

By the way this was the first new BG concept they came up with
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanYu_Fw8ZU

Unfortunately not taken up, but it looks good.
Asimov
3D Artist
http://www.asimov...ises.co.uk
“You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don’t alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.”

President Solvite
Ahh unfortunately the much promoted 2nd Coming teaser.. Aired at several classic BSG cons at the time.

Could have gone two ways that, unfortunately now we will never know as we have since lost some of the original cast John Colicos is one..

The original series good though it was suffered in the later episodes, the later stories were rushed and time was limited. In that matter it shares some similarities with Blakes 7. Of course it did have a huge budget which helped to a degree.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
9,786,108 unique visits since 8th January 2014