Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Television Discussion
Spaceship Dispatcher
As requested by Klenotka Oops
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 24 January 2014 12:20:34
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Angry Angel
I was just about to start a thread like this, how about calling it 'Television discussion'?

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
Marple: Endless Night

Normally, I would describe Marple thus: a murder mystery show where the producers are serious about what they do but not necessarily the way they do it, like a period drama version of Midsomer Murders; a chance for the actors to let their hair down and, while still playing the roles straight, have a lot of fun playing larger than life characters in a show loaded with self-parody of the genre. Not so the latest series; although the first episode, set in the Caribbean, was similar to previous years. The second and third episodes have been deep into the territory usually explored by partner series Poirot, with dark tragedy and human psychology the main themes. Endless Night is a very slow moving relationship drama without any crime at all for the first hour, and even then never becomes a 'who done it' style of story; if anything, the narrative slows down even more after the death of one of the main players. There's a heavy emphasis on melancholy moods in the direction, music and performances and simple set-pieces like the funeral are recreated with deep gravitas and importance without containing more than character development and news from afar that doesn't mean anything in itself until later on. Quite simply, the show has never produced anything like this in the past (not even the previous episode Greenshaw's Folly) and the intensity of the performaces make this episode stand out as something above and beyond expectation. There is a minor role for Glynis Barber, but she plays the few scenes she has superbly well. Nothing less than 10/10 for this.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 27 January 2014 17:27:05
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Lorna
The book Endless Night was never a Miss Marple story. It was one of her psychological dramas and was a favourite of mine. I thought that it was done very well.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Lorna wrote:

The book Endless Night was never a Miss Marple story. It was one of her psychological dramas and was a favourite of mine. I thought that it was done very well.

Absolutely. Its always impressed me how they work Miss Marple into stories that she wasn't originally in, but this was a level above even the normal high standards of writing. A definate contender for my favourite episode of the show. The depth and darkness, and the way it was a relationship drama first and foremost that developed into a crime thriller gradually was excellent and reminded me of the 1980s series with Joan Hickson.

Angry Angel
Agreed, it was very good, and the different style (following one other character far more than Miss Marple) very much wrong-footed me on who the killer was.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
President Solvite
Buck Rogers - Planet of the Slave Girls..

Despite some impressive guest stars - this episode clunks along more awkwardly than Colony in Space.. Some funny moments though when Buck fights, you get obvious shots of stunt doubles doing the classic kick thing that Buck tends to use each week.

Episode is lightened somewhat with some nice shots of Wilma in lycra and some risque leg shots making it vaguely worthwhile. Also some Docholli coat moments with the Major struggling with his backpack on numerous occasions.

Some models make it through from the original Galactica including the Cylon Hanger from a base star and a colonial shuttle.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
briggsy1
I'm really getting into the "reimagined" Battlestar Galactica on Pick TV. Katie Sackoff is v.good but two major nitpicks from me:
1) Why on earth did they dump the rousing original theme tune & replace it with some nondescript dirge?
2) As per the original series, not enough of the red-eyed chrome heads on screen. I always assumed this was because of budgetary restraints but what a waste - they're the stars of the show!

President Solvite
Re _ Reimagined BSG

1 - The original tune does surface on occasion. Becoming the colonial anthem. The S1 track from the US I agree was a bit bland. The UK version of the S1 tune was a bit more gutsy and was adopted over the other side of the pond by season 2. I believe the haunting voices used words from a Hindu chant (hymn?) But whatever I liked its eerie sound and sad mournful quality.

2 - They are teasing you! Pfft You'll get an eyeful of 'Toasters' soon enough, not just the 12 humanoid models either But the original and upgraded warrior models.. The reimagined BSG is a good series to get into. Personally I feel it dips a bit in season 3.. But it comes good for the finale.

JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:
The reimagined BSG is a good series to get into. Personally I feel it dips a bit in season 3.. But it comes good for the finale.

I have oft referred to the new BSG as twenty of the best hours of serious sci fi television I have ever seen, unfortunately mixed in with forty hours of soap opera. S1 and the last half of the final season were tremendous.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
The reimagined BSG is a good series to get into. Personally I feel it dips a bit in season 3.. But it comes good for the finale.

I have oft referred to the new BSG as twenty of the best hours of serious sci fi television I have ever seen, unfortunately mixed in with forty hours of soap opera. S1 and the last half of the final season were tremendous.

I never saw the original TV series, but I had seen the movie and thought that was terrible. I didn't expect to like the re-boot, but I ended up loving it! It was terrific - dark, grown up, sexy, violent, multi-layered, with no clear cut good guys or bad guys; where people did good things for bad reasons and vice versa. I'd tell friends it was science fiction for people who think they don't like science fiction - solid, well made drama that just happened to be set in space.

Edited to add: And I loved the music, especially the haunting opening. I used lots of it as temp score while I was editing the BBC's 'Merlin'.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
Josette Simon is in Death in Paradise...

Looking good

briggsy1
Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

I never saw the original TV series, but I had seen the movie and thought that was terrible. I didn't expect to like the re-boot, but I ended up loving it! It was terrific - dark, grown up, sexy, violent, multi-layered, with no clear cut good guys or bad guys; where people did good things for bad reasons and vice versa. I'd tell friends it was science fiction for people who think they don't like science fiction - solid, well made drama that just happened to be set in space.

Edited to add: And I loved the music, especially the haunting opening. I used lots of it as temp score while I was editing the BBC's 'Merlin'.

Wow, from what you say I'm in for a treat. Cant wait.

Klenotka
Oh, this thread was made for me? Grin Wink (kidding Wink)

I got back to "The Thick of It" recently. I got stuck at the end of season 2 sometimes last January and it was a mistake. Seasons 3 and 4 were the best. Also, very different from the first two. I actually felt sick by the end of each of those seasons because this is how politics works and I was just annoyed that a guy - who was manipulative, bully etc but never pretended otherwise and was basically the one who knew what to do - got kicked out and was blamed for everything. But of course, it was often very funny, dialogue a bit too fast at first (for me, obviously) but the shaky camera in the first season was annoying.

Of course, the main reason - Peter Capaldi. He is fantastic. I have known him for a while, I saw him in Torchwood years ago, in The Hour recently and very, very long time ago was a great Islington in the first BBC "Neverwhere". But nothing prepared me for the (surprising) complexity of Malcolm Tucker. The way how everybody was scared to death of him is very promising for Doctor, of course. If he brings some of that authority into the Doctor then, basically, yay. But it was an interesting journey of a character, who says what he thinks and doesnīt care what others think about him. Most of the others were hypocrites, covering their backs. Not Tucker. He told everybody what he thought and was willing to go into nasty manipulations. But he was loyal to what he did. Not to people, to the job and the party. How he played the final speech (wow), or that breakdown at the end of Season 3 and the eventual downfall of the character, was amazing. From the sovereign manipulator to a man who, in the end, basically got to the conclusion that it was not worth it...amazing performance and definitely not just a comedy.

But of course, I enjoyed the other characters as well, especially the main "core". Most of those people were like headless chickens who needed Malcolm to tell them what to do (a minister often the least capable - sad). It was funny and funny...until it hit me that the western politics works like this and then I got sick Grin
I canīt really compare Czech and British politics because those little scandals that force ministers to resign in the UK, are just for an amusement of people here (OK, so he stole money/did something wrong...whatever, go on). But essentially, the fact that the minister has a bunch of advisors and without them is useless, is obviously common everywhere.

I think I will try to rewatch the whole thing soon because the dialogue was VERY difficult and they talked very fast.

It is sad that such a brilliant show will never be watched as much as it would deserve - and will just recycle the "haha, Capaldi swears" videos on youtube for DW fans who have never heard about it (or Peter Capaldi)

Spaceship Dispatcher
You might find the UK political drama The Politician's Husband, starring David Tennant, also of interest. Its a straight drama with no comic elements but is along similar lines and David plays a similar character.

Natural Stupidity
I've just started on the original Survivors. Shame on me for taking so long to get around to another Terry Nation creation! Only four episodes in but finding it highly compelling. I feel a weekend marathon coming!

Oh and hi from Sydney by the way! First post. Smile

meegat39
Hi Natural Stupidity and welcome! First season of Survivors was awesome!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
First season of the original Survivors is fantastic!!! Second & third seasons have their moments too!

trevor travis
Television Discussion? Ours is blue. Grin

GoldChannel
ahh, the original Survivors.... I remember (a bit like B7) catching some episodes of this on UK Gold back in the early 90s.

very grim.... which of course was rather the point!

one of these days I will catch up with it on dvd

Is anyone else here a Babylon 5 fan? I just finished watching season 3. Big big fan of this.... I keep picking up the DVD season box sets periodically from CEX, and got 4 and 5 to watch too Smile it's also where my username comes from *lol

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,123,090 unique visits since 8th January 2014