Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Federation will never fall?
lemon
After finally seeing with the family "Blake" shock gave way to a sad sediment for the evening, so that the tears welling in his eyes.
So there is no hope that Federation will end eventually? If imagine a different course of events, or to suggest what might happen after the story of Blake's 7, do you think what are the chances that Federation will fall?

Anniew
Oh Lemon. It's so sad isn't it? No matter how many times I watch it it still leaves me in pieces. But to cheer you up:

1. All empires fall in the end- the Federation will be replaced - whether it's by something different is up to the people.

2. Avon might have ducked. The Federation Troopers shot each other. Servalan came in and Avon shot her. He then roused the others ( who were stunned only) and took Blake's body to bury it with Avalon's rebels. He and Orac then set about making a plan to destroy the Federation.

3 it's actually a set up. Blake knew he had a traitor ( Arlen) in his organisation. He arranged for Avon to pretend to kill him so that she would report back to Servalan that he was dead and Blake could continue the rebellion in secret.

4. They all survived but a bit damaged. Blake forgave Avon. They continued to fight the Federation and eventually succeeded. Blake became the new President.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Lemon, there are so many theories about what happened after Gauda Prime, there is a separate category for PGP or Post-Gauda Prime stories in Blake's 7 fan fiction.
They run the gamut from Avon escaping to be Servalan's 'pet' prisoner having him work to make her the richest woman in the galaxy, to other themes, like having Avon and Vila survive only to go underground to fight the evil Federation. I suppose it all depends on what character(s) you like as to who to 'bring back' for a post GP story. Some people love the remaining crew's adventures, others loathe them. I happen to like them, especially if they feature my favorite characters in them. But as AnnieW said, all evil regimes are destined to fail eventually: what replaces them is often the big question as to whether they will be better the same or worse. What I have always found is that if I watch "Blake" or episode 52 I immediately try to watch "The Way Back" or some other earlier episode right after that so as to lessen the impact on me. Even after seeing the series through over 30 times, it still is a stunner at the end. Perhaps that is why we are still here talking about it so many years later? Cheers.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
The resistance still has Grant, Jenna (personal opinion), and Avalon.

briggsy1
It was only recently I realised that the Federation emblem was nicked from Star Trek. As a long time fan of both series why did it take me so long to make the connection? Duh.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

Grant is a mercenary, not a rebel. He's in it for the money!

Jenna only resisted because of Blake's influence, and probably went back to smuggling without him. Plus she *might* be dead. Wink

Avalon retired from working for the resistance, changed her identity, and got a job as a bounty hunter on Chenga. Vila didn't notice he'd bumped into her before!

lemon
Anniew, I like a positive vision of what could be then, but in the series, everything look like authentic and it seems that the dream about the survival of at least some of the characters impossible. I would have chosen if it were possible version of collusion Blake and Avon for the sake of survival. But Avon feelings were so truthful, so he could pretend to be like that?
Anyway if they survival all could again and again go around rebellious minority.

BradPaula, I tried to watch Way Back - it even sadder by now. I'm not a proper fan of watching tv shows, but I don't remember and don't know yet such a dramatic and shocking ending. 30 years of loyalty it's really a proof of masterpiece.

Joe Dredd
Hi Lemon,

We know how you feel. It's an incredibly powerful ending and a terrible one. Thankfully it's only a story but there is no denying it's emotional impact.

Regarding the Federation, Blake & co weren't the only rebels out there. More will speak up and act, and eventually change will come.

Regarding our heroes, the way was purposely left open for a fifth series. The characters fell in a dreamlike way, without blood, to suggest they were stunned. That's on the screen; it's an interpretation you can see and take heart from if you want.

There's a great analysis by Betty Ramsey that views the events of the last episode as a collusion between Blake & Avon, in order to publicly fake all their deaths in front of Federation 'witnesses'. Various points include:

+ Avon himself notes that outlaws like themselves are definitely not welcome on Gauda Prime right now. It would seem to be a bad time to pay a visit.
+ Avon is unconcerned about Blake's supposed new profession.
+ Blake tells Arlen that he can't really tell who is Federation and who isn't any more. But later, when Deva remarks that Blake is good at this bounty hunter business, Blake responds "I'm still alive."
+ When Scorpio is attacked, Avon expresses no opinions about or interest in the identity of their attackers. He does, however, seem surprised at the extent of the damage received by Scorpio.
+ This is the only episode in which Orac is tied down. This proves to be a prescient move on someone's part, given Slave's inability to maintain a level flight path during the attack.
+ A flyer approaches the shack that Vila, Soolin and Dayna have just found, hovers nearby for a moment, and then departs. But the men who attack them later land their flyer far enough away to avoid being heard.
+ In the course of their argument, Blake and Deva reveal everything about the state of the rebellion, including Deva's opinion that it can't survive Blake's death. Arlen is standing in the background listening.
Just before Blake and Arlen leave to follow the fleeing Tarrant, Blake says, "Relax, Deva. Nobody's indispensible."
+ Avon doesn't wonder how Tarrant got to Blake's base. All he says is "I'm glad you made it."
+ Avon doesn't have the weapon he uses to shoot Klyn and Blake before we see him enter the tracking gallery. Where did he get it and why did he choose to use it instead of his clipgun?
+ There is no sign of blood when Avon shoots Klyn, unlike when he shoots Blake.

Perhaps these thoughts will give you some comfort.

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

Not buying any of that, they are all as dead as an ex-parrot. Grin
Edited by trevor travis on 14 September 2015 13:40:08

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Then why isn't he working for the Federation?

Joe Dredd
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Because although he works for hire, he only chooses to work for the rebels. He has a heart of gold underneath the tough guy image. Why, often he and his Wookie friend will -- uh, hang on. I'll get back to you on that one.

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:

Not buying any of that, they are all as dead as an ex-parrot. :D

Shh! We're trying to cheer Lemon up. Don't mention the ead-day word.

Really TT, your idea of sympathy is to break a man's leg and then say "Lean on me."

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Shh! We're trying to cheer Lemon up. Don't mention the ead-day word.

Really TT, your idea of sympathy is to break a man's leg and then say "Lean on me."

I think I'd be about as effective as Arnold J Rimmer BSc SSc, if I ever got a job with the Samaritans Grin

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Because although he works for hire, he only chooses to work for the rebels. He has a heart of gold underneath the tough guy image. Why, often he and his Wookie friend will -- uh, hang on. I'll get back to you on that one.

I think Grant and Avon have a lot in common. Avon wants to stay on Liberator and fight the Federation, but for the better part of two seasons, he can't admit it, even to himself. Grant wants to overthrow the Federation, but 'Freedom Fighter' doesn't fit his image of himself.

BradPaula
trevor travis wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Jenna only resisted because of Blake's influence, and probably went back to smuggling without him. Plus she *might* be dead. Wink

Avalon retired from working for the resistance, changed her identity, and got a job as a bounty hunter on Chenga. Vila didn't notice he'd bumped into her before!

On first meeting Grant, he seemed to be just a mercenary. Now, having the Big Finish Full Cast audios, his status seems to have changed to freedom fighter. Sure, he would not say no to a nice pay check for his services (which may go to fund his freedom fighting activities) but I think he's always been a bit more than just fighting for the money. You'll remember it was hinted to in Countdown that he asks for a huge fee because of his ego more than for being a mercenary, which always begged the question that he was in it because he wanted to see the Federation toppled as much as Blake and his gang.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Grant was involved in anti-Federation activities primarily because he heard on the space-grapevine that the amazing Jenna Stannis was part of a rebel group and freedom fighting is as good a way as any to meet girls.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Grant was involved in anti-Federation activities primarily because he heard on the space-grapevine that the amazing Jenna Stannis was part of a rebel group and freedom fighting is as good a way as any to meet girls.

LOL Exactly!!

peladon
lemon wrote:

Anniew, I like a positive vision of what could be then, but in the series, everything look like authentic and it seems that the dream about the survival of at least some of the characters impossible. I would have chosen if it were possible version of collusion Blake and Avon for the sake of survival. But Avon feelings were so truthful, so he could pretend to be like that?
Anyway if they survival all could again and again go around rebellious minority.

BradPaula, I tried to watch Way Back - it even sadder by now. I'm not a proper fan of watching tv shows, but I don't remember and don't know yet such a dramatic and shocking ending. 30 years of loyalty it's really a proof of masterpiece.

Lemon, if it helps that final episode is so full of holes you dont have to deduce any ending from it. As it wasnt written as an ending (unlike Terminal) there is a break point in almost every scene (admittedly many are possibly not intentional Cool )
Though there are two good break points in Terminal too which can be used as springboards (and still be in keeping with the structure of the series).

I stopped seeing it as anything but another anti ending a long time ago - strip it down and I expect you could too.

Of course some fans get hot and bothered at the merest hint that it not all as first seen - but hey what does that matter?Grin

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Your choice, but not definitive. Is pretty good analysis though I'd add several points to it and will do so when I get the time to finish my analysis of Blake promised on the Duel thread.

Hugbot
Anniew wrote:

Blake became the new President.

Oh dear ... as if the end wasn't bleak enough you have to give us an even bleaker alternative! Pfft

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.38 seconds
9,833,621 unique visits since 8th January 2014