Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
September Fanfic Challenge
littlesue
Ellen York wrote:

Vila didn't know much about caring for plants, so it was fortunate that herbs were hard to kill. Gan had always said that they grew like weeds, whatever a weed was. After some trial and error (and the loss of the basil), Vila determined that eight hours a day under the grow lights and watering them every other day would keep the plants healthy. The herbs provided by the small garden were a welcome addition to meals prepared in the Liberator kitchen. But more importantly, caring for the garden was a way to keep alive the memory of his friend.

A little tear here....I, too, have a memory garden.
There are plants that actually come with us when we move house...they are all there because of someone who has passed; the Bluebells from Hubby's Grandparents home, Lily of the Valley because my dear Gran loved those flowers and that perfume; my other Gran loved Paul's Scarlet Runner rose, Peace rose for my Granddad Glover and the Forsythia bush (?) that was taken from 6 cuttings brought back from my Granddad's garden back in the 70s. I'm not too sure what plant my dear old dad should have....it's difficult to cultivate Barcardi and Coke!!!!
Edited by littlesue on 08 September 2015 07:21:28
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
Another lovely story Ellen - I can see Vila doing that and Sue your real life story is touching.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Hugbot
Autumn is a season of melancholy and contemplation ... maybe that is the reason for the abundance of Gan and Limbo stories this month?

@Brad: I always wondered why Cally's last word was 'Blake', and your explanation is really fascinating. Interesting to see that you used Jenna's death by hitting the self-destruct button, although you don't believe in Blake's story. I don't believe it either, and I also used it in one of my stories. Obviously we both have no scruples about abondoning our opinion when it fits the story.

@Peladon: No need to apologise, the tone is already more autumnal this month, and I really liked your story - very atmospheric and a highly original and unusual and yet very convincing PGP story.

@Ellen: What a lovely and very touching little gem! A good start to my day - thank you!

@LittleSue: Try sugar cane and cola nut.

Hugbot
Thank you all for your comments on Moment of Luxuy. It was nice to read that it evoked so many strawberry memories!
We had several rows of strawberry in our garden (also blackberries and a few raspberries; plus red currants and gooseberries, but I am not too fond of the latter.) There were more than enough strawberries for our family, so I was allowed to feast on them whenever I wanted to. I only got rebuked for plundering the peas! In hindsight I think I may have been the reason why my mother resorted to those horrible canned peas when we had visitors for lunch ...

purplecleric
@peladon - another beautifully written vignette, your descriptions are always so vivid. Don't worry too much about the 500 words - nobody else seems to!

@Ellen York - I enjoy your little moments, and the thought of Vila tending his 'memory garden' is both sweet and sad.

purplecleric
The Seeds of The Future

Telma loved her job.

She bustled into the lab every morning, a wiry woman with a chaotic crown of grey curls. Her movements were as quick and brisk as her manner; life was just too full of potential to waste time on pleasantries. Her staff were accustomed to her ways and kept small talk to a minimum. Jayden presented her with the datapad and the briefest of nods. He got down to business.

“A fresh batch last night, ma’am. Looks promising...”

Telma didn’t bother to reply, she was already heading to the storage bay. She faltered briefly against the blast of icy air as the door opened and her eyes squinted against the harsh blue-tinged light. After donning a mask and pulling on gloves, she grabbed a probe and opened the first bio-container.

With disappointment Telma slammed the lid closed again. Just another trooper. She hoped Jayden hadn’t been misleading her. Troopers were good stock material but couldn’t be described as ‘promising’. Her irritation grew as the next container revealed another generic grunt. Gritting her teeth she moved onto to the third. Ah! Now this was much more like it...

She scrutinised the body ignoring the strong musculature, heavy features and dark curly hair but noting the fresh destruction of the abdominal area and the old facial injuries. In times past, that would have been a tragedy; precious organs rendered useless. Still, the butchers would have some material to work with. She, however, was interested in things more subtle than gross anatomy. She inserted the probe, incised a small amount of tissue and fed it into the analyser. While the machine hummed and data scrolled across its screen she moved onto the next container.

Promising, indeed! Another male with a body that appeared intact but she was aware of the internal damage that blasters wreaked. The features were fine and sculptured and Telma raised an eyebrow in appreciation. Looks could be deceiving but if the genetic material proved useless for her project, at least the finished result could present a pleasing appearance. She thrust in the probe and drew out a further sample.

The day progressed quickly. Jayden had been correct. Four males and two females, one even with rare dark skin. The butchers would be pleased – it was difficult to find matches for that genetic combination. Telma was pleased as well. She reviewed the analysis, for once still as she contemplated the results, her eyes alighting on the key findings. There was a wealth of genetic variance here, free from the influences of drug suppression and indoctrination. Her predecessors had perfected the ability to create offspring with tailored physical appearance and attributes but her life’s work had been in identifying the chromosome combinations that led to personality.

With today’s bountiful harvest, oh what children she could create!

JustBrad
Hugbot wrote:

@Brad:Obviously we both have no scruples about abondoning our opinion when it fits the story.

Facts, or continuity, while highly desirable, should not be allowed to derail a good story.

Hugbot
No comments yet on Seeds of the Future? Maybe that's because we are all still too devastated! I'm glad I haven't read this one at breakfast - but I am glad that I had the opportunity to read it at all. It is very disturbing, and only a really good story can evoke such strong emotions!

You once said that you don't believe in PGP, and you couldn't have given us more proof of your point of view than this utterly bleak tale. Although it is a sure candidate for a five tissue box rating, it is also a very apt and convincing finale (although I don't believe in 'pesonality genes') with carefully drawn characters.

BradPaula
Well, one thing about The Seeds of the Future- it fits the 'flavour'of Blake's 7 to a t.
Edited by BradPaula on 08 September 2015 00:48:07
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Ellen York
PC, Seeds of the Future is fascinating in a creepy sort of way. Is it the clonemasters? And are they trying to clone new rebels? The mind boggles at the thought of multiple Blakes and Avons. Though putting together the best traits of each would have promise.

Anniew
Oh Ellen, you write such sweet stories! And PC I thought your story was a hopeful one! At least our heroes will return, genetic rebellion gene intact! Lovely and such a clever idea!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Lurena
littlesue wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

Annie, your piece was very in character for both Avon and Gan (and I can understand both philosophies). It is ironic that Kayne thought the Federation was right and he was a casualty of that stray bolt while the "criminals" got away. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Paula, I'm with you; no idea how people create stories so quickly. It takes me ages to drag my muse out of hiding.

My muse is still in Crete!
....at least for another few days, anyway Grin

Muse is down and safe again; stories to be released very soon.
Oh, and a lot of stories to catch up reading here! This is such a delightful thread!
Edited by Lurena on 07 September 2015 23:03:00
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
BradPaula
Wizard Music

Cally frowned and rubbed her temples. There was that sound again but a quick glance around the flight deck at her crew mates revealed she was the only one who could hear it.

Jenna stood at the helm of Liberator, a study in deep concentration, piloting the huge ship with ease. Blake sat on the flight deck couch, gazing at the star map Zen had provided on the front screen. They seemed not to have heard the noise which assaulted Cally's ears. Avon was off duty and probably in his cabin trying to sleep. She doubted it was him making the pesky noise! And Vila- he sat awkwardly in the flight chair at his console snoring softly. No, it wasn't Vila or his snoring. This was a higher-pitched sort of sing-song sound. It seemed to be originating from somewhere on the ship, but where? She excused herself from the flight deck and went on a search.

She wound up in the corridor where the crew cabins were situated. The sound seemed to be issuing from around there. A few steps more and she was standing at the door of her cabin. My cabin? she wondered, a bit surprised. She entered and the sound suddenly crescendoed as if a song was ending and then all was silent. Having lived in that cabin for what seemed like years now, she knew there could only be one source of the sound. Her Moon Disc. She had taken a small Disc up to the Liberator with her after they had been on the Shadow planet, but it had never 'sang' before. She walked over to the tank she kept the thing in and gasped with wonder. It had reproduced itself five fold. Where once there had been a fist-sized Disc on it's own, there were now six, albeit it one larger one and five tiny ones- but unmistakable- they were exact replica's of the 'mother' if she dared use the term. She got the mental impression that the larger Disc somehow wanted to be called Dorothy. That was strange.

She knew that while in a trance on the Shadow planet, the Discs had kept her sane by talking to her and making her not feel alone, but what passed for a language was only a series of tones to her ears. This was different. She was sure she had heard actual articulated words in the 'song'. Absentmindedly, she put some fresh greenery into the tank for their food. They seemed to like the fresh greens the best. She smiled to herself; at least she would never be alone again with her little 'pets'. She exited the cabin and returned to the flight deck.

In the last corridor before the flight deck she 'heard' the sound again, only this time it seemed, in three-part harmony! It was an alien song to her ears, but pleasant none the less. She guessed she'd have to get used to the sound that only she could hear and try and compartmentalize it in a seldom used part of her mind. She climbed the steps to her console and everything again was as it should be- save for Cally's enigmatic smile, listening to the 'song' in her head- only for her to enjoy.

Ever so softly she followed the music and words... 'We represent the Lollipop guild, the Lollipop guild, the Lollipop guild. We represent the Lollipop guild, and we'd like to welcome you to Munchkinland'...... over and over and over.....
Edited by BradPaula on 08 September 2015 19:28:14
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Hugbot
Awww, a moon disc story - lovely! Will the moon discs continue to reproduce? I see a Tribbles style continuation coming ... Smile

Anniew
Oh Paula baby moondiscs. How nice to think of the crew raising them. They need a hobby!

Unfortunately my muse has led me down darker paths. Here's the second:

The right material for the job. That's what he looked out for. Some of them barely lasted a week. Lacking fortitude they quickly descended into melancholia. Others endured but without any sparkle, dour and bereft of understanding or imagination. It was a fine balance and difficult to predict and he was sometimes surprised. A veteran had cracked within a fortnight while an inexperienced girl had hung on for several months, cursing him as robustly on the day she died as she had on her arrival.

It amused him to think of himself as a farmer of souls, a gatherer of life energy that he then fed to his monstrous alter ego. Did the energies taste different , he wondered? Did the flavour taint horribly as the will decayed?

He turned away from his computer screen and the sullen, rather beautiful, dark-eyed face that filled it.

Yes that one and his companions looked suitable. They were survivors and it was reasonable to expect them to last a long time.

It was time to go harvesting.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
Hugbot wrote:

Awww, a moon disc story - lovely! Will the moon discs continue to reproduce? I see a Tribbles style continuation coming ... Smile

Vila tried using them for coasters, but his A&S kept sliding away.

littlesue
Ohh. everything is so gruesome this month...I may need to hide behind a cushion!!!
My muse is just going through my efforts...

Hugbot
Anniew, that's a clever idea and a fascinating characterisation. Interesting that you don't mention any names and yet we all know to whom you are referring. We really are a bunch of mad, sad fans, I presume ...

Ellen York
Paula, love the baby moondisks, too cute Smile

Annie, very vivid scene. I can picture Dorian sitting at his computer cold-bloodedly seeking new victims.

Sue, any more room behind that cushion? Fall is my favorite time of year, but this months "harvest" is a bit grim.

littlesue
Ellen York wrote:

Paula, love the baby moondisks, too cute Smile

Annie, very vivid scene. I can picture Dorian sitting at his computer cold-bloodedly seeking new victims.

Sue, any more room behind that cushion? Fall is my favorite time of year, but this months "harvest" is a bit grim.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger cushion!!! Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,151,862 unique visits since 8th January 2014