Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
September Fanfic Challenge
littlesue
Ellen York wrote:

Annie, your piece was very in character for both Avon and Gan (and I can understand both philosophies). It is ironic that Kayne thought the Federation was right and he was a casualty of that stray bolt while the "criminals" got away. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Paula, I'm with you; no idea how people create stories so quickly. It takes me ages to drag my muse out of hiding.

My muse is still in Crete!
....at least for another few days, anyway Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
purplecleric wrote:

As you've probably realised, it's proving harder to keep this bonkers bunch of scribes to a word limit than it is to herd cats

It seems that we all have a limiter malfunction. Pfft
Edited by Hugbot on 03 September 2015 17:08:08

Hugbot
What a rollercoaster ride - first TT's delightfully bonkers comedy and then Anniew's Bleak 7 story!

TT, I spotted the RD references but I fear I don't know the blue bird and the dog, although the 'end credits' with the circle framing Cally sound familiar. Well, it was hilarious nonetheless and I can imagine the type of show.

Anniew, I fear I share your mistrust of cliché-ridden 'positive' aphorisms. You already gave an example in your take on the 'lemon' adage in your signature, and in your story it gets into full bloom. About a year ago, a new 'aphorism' emerged over here: 'In the end, everything will be good. If it is not good, it is not yet the end.' You can find it on postcards, stickers and nearly everywhere, and it makes me sick. Am I the only one who realises that in the end we will all be dead? Oh dear, maybe Avon's influence on me is growing! By the way, do you know the Norwegian film The Art of Negative Thinking?

purplecleric
@Hugbot - try this:

https://www.youtu...hh7u5JGVzo

Beep! Beep!

Anniew
Hugbot - no I haven't seen the film. Will look out for it. I share your horror at the ' everything will be good' aphorism - especially as the Earth is doomed to be consumed by fire! It's interesting to me that the challenge of life is to accept the bleakness but to be positive in this moment - something Gan does better than Avon - to plant and enjoy your strawberry harvest. Even though Servalan waits round the corner and life certainly ain't fair, those strawberries are sweet!

And isn't Wily C and the road runner perfect for the Travis, Blake relationship? Love Wily's implicit faith in technology to destroy and the Runner's - well- faith that he'll escape! The same innocence as Blake displays. ( I used to hate Blake and I still do sometimes but his
Iinnocence is a bit disarming!) My Little Pony works well too - particularly with Servalan! There's a video on U tube
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
purplecleric wrote:

@Hugbot - try this:

Beep! Beep!

I love Road Runner cartoons! Thank you for a nice 10 minutes!!!

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Hugbot - no I haven't seen the film. Will look out for it. I share your horror at the ' everything will be good' aphorism - especially as the Earth is doomed to be consumed by fire! It's interesting to me that the challenge of life is to accept the bleakness but to be positive in this moment - something Gan does better than Avon - to plant and enjoy your strawberry harvest. Even though Servalan waits round the corner and life certainly ain't fair, those strawberries are sweet!

And isn't Wily C and the road runner perfect for the Travis, Blake relationship? Love Wily's implicit faith in technology to destroy and the Runner's - well- faith that he'll escape! The same innocence as Blake displays. ( I used to hate Blake and I still do sometimes but his
Iinnocence is a bit disarming!) My Little Pony works well too - particularly with Servalan! There's a video on U tube

I now have the figures from the MLP Video....Daughter No. 1 collected them for me from the various boot sales.
I may even bring Avon with me to RTGP!!!

trevor travis
Ellen York wrote:

Annie, your piece was very in character for both Avon and Gan (and I can understand both philosophies). It is ironic that Kayne thought the Federation was right and he was a casualty of that stray bolt while the "criminals" got away. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Paula, I'm with you; no idea how people create stories so quickly. It takes me ages to drag my muse out of hiding.

PC helped with her "sharpen your pencils" comment. That got me thinking about something that was drawn. Wink

Mistletoe12
Posting in 2 parts because it's *slightly* more than 500 words! Grin

DUST

Part 1

“I thought we were goners that time,” Gan chuckled, taking his seat on the flight deck. He noticed Blake staring in his direction, “Don’t look so worried,” he assured their leader, “scrapes and bruises; I’ll be back on my feet before you can say pursuit ships.”

Blake didn’t respond and a short while later Gan thought he’d head to the cabin he shared with Vila. His head hurt and despite his reassurances to Blake he really wasn’t feeling well.

Walking away from the sombre crew, Gan entered the cabin and lay on his bunk without bothering to discard his clothes. Vila had insisted on the top bunk, ‘in case you fall through and land on my head,' he’d explained.

It wasn’t a peaceful sleep, footsteps shadowed him in his dreams, he raced through empty corridors, panting with exhaustion, elevators appeared, standard and alien, showing different environments, and yet the hum of machinery in the background informed him that the ominous presence relentlessly pursuing him wasn’t far behind.

Gan’s nightmare woke him with a start and a sense of dread he couldn’t shake. He made his way to the galley with his brain pounding in his skull and a compulsion to quench his desperate thirst. His limbs were heavy and his lungs felt like they were choking on masonry dust.

Refilling his water glass a third … fourth … fifth time, he slumped into a seat. Somehow finding the stamina to hobble back to the cabin, he discovered Vila prone in his bunk bed, head buried in the pillows.

Was he crying?

“Vila,” he said, placing a hand on his friend’s shoulder, “It isn’t that bad. I know the last mission wasn’t successful, but you know Blake, he won’t make the same mistake twice.” Vila didn’t move and sighing heavily Gan returned to his bed.

Gan’s health hadn’t improved in the morning; contemplating staying buried beneath his heavy blanket he reluctantly splashed cold water on his face and made his way to the flight deck. Whilst he couldn’t make out what the occupants were talking about, he heard enough to detect the familiar tension between Avon and Blake.

The acute pain in his head wasn’t receding; increasing if anything and deciding he didn’t have the energy to act as peacemaker, Gan retraced his steps, informing Jenna as she brushed past him that he would be heading to the medical bay. She didn’t bother to acknowledge his statement and Gan wondered morosely if anyone on the ship would notice if he wasn’t around.

DUST, part 2, in second post!

Mistletoe12
DUST, Part 2 ...

DUST
PART 2

Gan tried to recall the best way to analyse his illness, but without Orac to assist he couldn’t make the diagnostic devices work. Unable to locate a blocker to ease the tortuous pains throughout his entire body, he flopped wearily onto the gurney.

Falling into a fractured snooze, Gan experienced the same nightmare from the previous evening. He instinctively resisted, allowing whatever pursued him to harvest his life force would mean succumbing to a destiny filled with loneliness.

His leg dragged uselessly as he set out to locate Blake – maybe all this had to do with his limiter implant; clutching at straws perhaps but he didn’t know what else to do. Gan couldn’t find Blake in all his usual haunts and trying his luck in the teleport bay he paused in his tracks, listening to Avon discussing something about automatic pulses with their resident Auron.

“If Blake is there, it will bring him up,” said Cally.

“Is he in trouble?” Gan looked at the pair in concern. “Why didn’t you raise the alarm?”

Ignoring him as they had all day, Gan brought his fist down on the control panel in frustration. It had zero effect on Avon and Cally. What would it take for them to realise there was more to him than hired muscle.

“I can help,” he shouted.

Avon continued making adjustments and Gan walked away feeling apprehensive about his future. Did he still have a place on the Liberator? He heard footsteps, the same ones from his nightmare and pivoting on his heel whilst panicking he looked around wildly.

Gan increased his pace, racing forward, barely catching his breath. He glanced at the communicator on the wall, nobody would hear his desperate cries, he couldn’t risk slowing down for a moment.

Invisible hands grabbed at his tunic, forcing him to stumble and fall to his knees. He felt a warm, comforting embrace around his chest, pulsing reassuringly. ‘You can let go now’ he heard inside his head.

A force beyond his control pushed him onto his stomach. Gan thought about his long dead woman, finding it impossible to summon the strength to fight.

The herculean entity pulled him backwards by his feet, away from the ship. He travelled through cold space, his vision taking in a blue lit corridor, switching to a red lit corridor, and coming to a halt in a white corridor, his captor finally released him from its tight grasp.

Gan tried to stand but his legs couldn’t support his weight. He immediately sank on all fours, determined to crawl towards a person propped against a crumbling wall.

His solid hand outlined the individual’s sturdy frame: cold, human and dead.

Awareness filtered through him like a bright sun on a cold day, and with a smile he’d learned from their computer technician he accepted the inevitable, allowing his soul to merge with his corpse in its final resting place in an isolated corridor on Earth.

Hugbot
purplecleric wrote:

@Hugbot - try this:

Beep! Beep!

Ah! Thanks! Now I remember! I didn't think of him before as in my blurred memory, he was always of a rusty brown. It's been a long time ...

Anniew wrote:

the challenge of life is to accept the bleakness but to be positive in this moment

That sums it up perfectly.

Hugbot
Mistletoe, that was brilliant! I didn't have the faintest idea where this would lead, although there were plenty of clues. After I knew the conclusion, I read it again, and all the little pieces clicked perfectly into place. What a great and fascinating idea! And a wonderful tribute to the most underused B7 character!

Travisina
Outstanding story, Mistletoe - beautifully told!!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

purplecleric
Ooo, that gave me chills, Mistletoe - very well written.

Ellen York
Poor Gan, wondering if anyone would notice if he wasn't there. I figured out what was going on at “If Blake is there, it will bring him up".

BradPaula
Harvest of War

He walked up the stairs slowly making his way to the surface. It had been a tremendous fight and the dust had barely cleared, but they had won- he had won- again. As he reached the top he pushed on the blast doors and they creaked open slowly, their heavy weight suspended on a thin pivot. At least they had remained intact. As he stepped out of the building he took a deep breath of anything but fresh air. He smelled the unmistakable tang of cordite from the explosives which had rained down on them. There was also the faint, but recognizable stench of death which hit at the back of his throat. Being a soldier, he had become immune to that odor, well, nearly immune. He surveyed the area around the building and lingered on the broken bricks and rubble littering the streets. This had been the epicenter of the battle. It would take months, if not years to clear the debris away and rebuild the infrastructure of the city.

He leaned against the brick of the building and took a small cigar out of his breast pocket. A safety match was produced next and he struck the match against the bricks and slowly lit the cigar. He took a long pull and exhaled the blue-grey smoke in a measured breath. What was the old saying? There is nothing so melancholy than a battle won, as the war is then over? Well, he had seen his share of battles and wars but he could see the point. If you lived as a soldier you'd rather be in the thick of things than at liberty.

He was shaken out of his musings as the blast door opened and out came a number of raw recruits, all of them local and all of them Privates. They being so young, found life an adventure and were, because of their youth, cocky- given they'd been in and survived the conflict. One of the soldiers noticed him and he stood at attention. The others followed suit as they noticed their superior officer. The first youth then came over to him and stood at attention again.

“At ease, Private....?” he drawled.

“Larkins, sir. Private Larkins.”

“Larkins, yes. Taking a look around at what's left of your city, soldier?”

“Yes, Colonel Grant. Actually we are not city dwellers. We're all farmers from the outskirts of the city. We heard the Feds had burnt the crops. We were all wondering what is left of our farms.”

“I've been on a recce with General Jurgins only this morning. You have heard correctly. The Feds did indeed burn much of the crops. The harvest will be poor this autumn, unfortunately.”

The Private looked down-hearted. “It's not like we'll even see our homes any time soon. Even though the war is over, there is much still to be done.”

“I hate to agree with you but you're correct. Although we have most of the Federation personnel being held in camps now, there are bound to be a few rogue stragglers in the city and throughout the rural areas. There's going to have to be a full-scale flushing out of the area before any of you boys will be able to go home.”

“Yes, sir. I understand that. I guess we should just be thankful that our Rebel Army leaders got you to help free us. I'm sure all of Auros will be grateful to you and the work you've done for us.”

Grant took another pull on his cigar. “I just planned the thing, son, you fought the war. Take some credit for yourselves.”

“Yes, sir. I'm just a bit concerned on how we'll all survive the long winter without proper harvesting of our crops. I wouldn't want to win the war but starve in the meantime.”

“I'll see what I can do,” Grant expelled abstractedly. And with that, he stubbed out his cigar and flicked it into the rubble-strewn street. “I've got a meeting with the General in a few moments. You gentlemen remember about those rogue Fed soldiers and watch out for snipers.” He walked to the blast door and one of the young soldiers ran to it and opened the door for him. “Soldier,” Colonel Grant uttered and was gone into the building.

The cluster of soldiers looked out over the city warily as they took their break. It wouldn't do to be shot after the war was over. They talked among themselves as they passed a cigarette between them.

Grant strode through the hallways of the recently-vacated Federation stronghold. As he walked he thought of what Private Larkins had said. He suddenly wondered if Blake and his followers actually cared about the inhabitants, the little people he was freeing. Did Blake worry about people going hungry? Or was it only for his ego all of his strikes at the Federation. Well, he'd be different. He'd do something. Grant had plenty of contacts on many planets. He'd make sure there were contingencies in place to feed the planet until they could bring in their first harvest after the war. And if he had to finance it all by himself, he would. He might not be able to defeat the Federation in total, but damn it, he'd do whatever was in his power to help the common man survive with dignity.

With all that on his mind, he turned the corner and with a sharp knock on the door, entered the General's office prepared to change the lives of the people on Auros.
Edited by BradPaula on 05 September 2015 21:57:23
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
Hugbot: Being an avid gardener myself, I loved your ficlet.
TT: Amazing stuff! I always enjoy your stories as they always make me laugh!
AnnieW and Mistletoe12, bravo. Wonderful stories.

Isn't this a great thread?
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Hugbot
A Grant story by Paula? Who would have thought? Grin
But seriously, it is a great idea to use Grant as a mirror for Blake and to contrast his considerate course of action with Blake's gung-ho antics and egomania. Sometimes I get the feeling that Blake is the least favourite character of the show that bears his name. I think this contributes the quality of B7: no simplistic hero worship! I also appreciate the well-drawn melancholic after-battle atmosphere in your story. Good start to my day!

purplecleric
A lovely Grant moment, Paula - what an all-round hero he is!

The only thing missing is Grant running in slow motion from a burning building carrying a small child while stirring music plays... <grin>

Hugbot
BradPaula wrote:

Isn't this a great thread?

It is indeed! I love the great variety from very intense psychological stories to TT's completey whacky contributions, and I don't want to miss either end of the scale or the vast range between these poles.
But it is not only the variety that makes this thread so worthwhile. I am thrilled at the high quality of the contributions, and I have to admit that I did not expect that when this thread started. Sci-fi fans all over the world like to write themselves, but in my experience the average quality of sci-fi fanfic in Germany is much lower. This may be due to the fact that German sci-fi fandom is mainly based on the Perry Rhodan fandom, and reading a pulp series may not be the best way to enhance one's writing abilities. I am glad that I have found this amazing bunch of creative people!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,160,779 unique visits since 8th January 2014