Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
September Fanfic Challenge
trevor travis
Need to do some catching up reading some stories!!

Still thinking what I can do for "HARVEST", I can't really fit it into Part 2 of my Soolin tale... she'd have to stay near-death for another month or two Wink

And looking forward to the month of Og-tober Grin Grin

Anniew
TT I'm sure the Oggies have a harvest festival!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Sorry about the lateness of our little ficlet...but my muse has been suffering from flu and I think I'm just about to come down with something!!
Anyway, here goes.

Harvest of Memories

His decision to join in the game had prompted much surprise; least of all from him. But Avon decided that he needed something to take his mind off their last foray in search of Blake.
And so, he found himself seated on one of the forward couches about to play another game of Galactic Monopoly.
It was a simple enough game, by anyone’s standards, but as it progressed Avon found his thoughts returning to past events in his life; his negotiations with the visa man; his seemingly innocuous relationship with Anna…
…The dangerous game he had played then and the one he was playing now.
All about wealth…and the acquisition of.
This sudden awareness somehow made him reach into his mind; his memories.
Each destination on the board seemed to revive those memories; ones that he had tried so hard to lock away.
“Concentrate, Avon, or you could lose everything…”
Was that Anna speaking or Blake?
He tried to clear his mind…
…but it returned to that moment when he was alone on board the Liberator and he had almost given in to his deepest, dearest desire…to take the Liberator for himself and leave the others behind.
The Liberator…
A powerful ship with unimaginable wealth; everything could have been his for the taking. But Blake had stepped into the equation.
Another ‘throw’ of the dice.
Another memory…
…If only he had been more persuasive with Jenna.
He could have left Blake on Cygnus Alpha and had no regrets. At least he would have been free of HIM; free of the impact that the man had had upon his life.
Blake who had the unerring talent for putting all the crew in danger; Blake, the idealist, who had introduced so many new enemies into Avon’s life.
‘You really do hate me, don’t you?’ Blake’s unanswered question echoed in his mind.
Avon smiled inwardly. Had he really never been involved with Blake’s dream? And as for caring?
Well, he had never really understood the need to show that…no need at all.
“Your move, Avon,” Dayna said.
Damn this game.
Why had he agreed to join in when all it did was harvest his mind for painful memories and throw them back at him?
“Avon, if you’re not careful, you’ll lose it all…”
Cally.
Her voice reaching into his rambling thoughts.
That pulled him back from the abyss; from a dark place where he had felt an overwhelming need to put an end to this torment and shoot…
“I don’t think so,” Avon heard himself say.
The ‘dice’ were ‘thrown’…
“I win, I believe,” he declared.
“What?” Vila said staring at the board in disbelief, “How? You were miles away.”
“But obviously not far enough,” Dayna countered.
“This reverie, Avon, did it include us?” Tarrant asked.
“Unfortunately…”
Cally was staring at him, “This daydream...did it yield anything?”
“It yielded a harvest of memories…”
“Any that you would like to share?”
“Of course not,” Tarrant said, “Anyway, none that he would like us to be party to. Besides, he wouldn’t go far, he has too much to lose. Don’t you, Avon?”
“Perhaps,” Avon replied, casually counting his winnings, “But don’t bank on it.”

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/dont%20bank%20on%20it_zps86cwr0oq.jpg

Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
@ Travisina, your story was deep, dark and soulfull, but oh, so sad!!
@Sue and Lurena, love the way you dip into Avon's mind and thoughts with your story and the picture is outstanding Lurena!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

@ Travisina, your story was deep, dark and soulfull, but oh, so sad!!

Sorry! I just had to get my annoyance at 'Volcano' out of my head!

meegat39 wrote:
@Sue and Lurena, love the way you dip into Avon's mind and thoughts with your story and the picture is outstanding Lurena!

Yes, interesting idea and lovely pic!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Just to let you all know that Part Two of the March Ficlet Collection (complete the scene) is now formatted, illustrated and up on the website here:

http://www.blakes...cle_id=136

with grateful thanks to SD for formatting assistance Smile

purplecleric
@ Lurena & littlesue - you've deftly captured the way memories ambush us at the most innocuous of times and illustrated it wonderfully.

Anniew
Sue, Lurena That's a very moving story and I love the illustration. And the fact that, despite the memories, he won the game!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Thank you for all your comments.
The plot was actually Lurena's and between us we tweaked it; but between flu and internet outages it was a close call as to whether we's get it up before the deadline.
Lurena is working on some piccies for our follow up to our August effort, Ticket to Ride....
....I'm afraid I had to do something while she was in Crete....Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
A HARVEST OF SOUND

“Orac, what are these?”. Avon pointed to contents of the box they had found on the planet.

“I believe they contain music, Avon. They are vinyl records.”

“Vinyl records?”

“A gramophone record or vinyl record, commonly known as a record, is an analog sound storage medium in the form of a flat polyvinyl chloride (previously shellac) disc with an inscribed, modulated spiral groove. The groove usually starts near the periphery and ends near the center of the disc. Phonograph records are generally described by their diameter in inches (12", 10", 7" ), the rotational speed in rpm at which they are played (16 and two thirds; 33 and one third; 45; 78), and their time capacity resulting from a combination of those parameters (LP – long playing 33 and a third rpm, SP – 78 rpm single, EP – 12-inch single or extended play, 33 or 45 rpm); their reproductive quality or level of fidelity (high-fidelity, orthophonic, full-range, etc.), and the number of audio channels provided (mono, stereo, quad, etc.). Furthermore…”

“OK, Orac that’s enough detail. Sometimes I wonder if you just nick all your information from Space Wikipedia. My question is: can you obtain the sounds from them? Start with this one – I’m intrigued by the prism design on its front.”

“Of course I can, but it’s a gross misuse of my considerable capabilities…”

“Just do it, Orac.”

Avon sat back as the music started to play through Orac. He had never heard anything like it. It wasn’t like the jazz stuff that Cally sometimes listened to. This was something entirely different. Avon closed his eyes as he lay down on his bunk, and he was transported somewhere else for around 40 minutes. It was wonderful – it had a sonic quality to it. Plus lyrics which touched his very soul.

Finally, the record stopped playing through Orac.

“I hope I can go back to my researches now”, said the supercomputer grumpily.

“No, you can’t, I want to hear to what’s on this one – the one with the burning man on the front.”

Orac sighed. “Very well.”

“And then the one with all the bricks on the cover. And why has that one got a cow on it? That looks intriguing too.”

Orac suspected it was going to be a long evening.

Avon would often use Orac to listen to this box of records, during late evenings in his cabin on the Liberator. Harvest Records. The record label for the legendary sounds of Avon’s favourite group of musical composers.

He was sure he would lose his sanity if ever he was parted from this precious music...
Edited by trevor travis on 29 September 2015 14:54:11

Joe Dredd
This could explain why he starts dressing like Sid Vicious in S4.

Travisina
TT, I think you should get the prize for the most ingenious use of the 'Harvest' word prompt! Smile

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

TT, I think you should get the prize for the most ingenious use of the 'Harvest' word prompt! Smile

I was thoroughly stuck on doing a 'Harvest' story, until it struck me around lunchtime today that the best-group-ever (well, IMO) were released on an EMI subsidiary called Harvest Records Wink

Travisina
Whispers

Cally frowned and rubbed her temples. There was that sound again, but a quick glance at her crew mates revealed she was the only one who could hear it.

Oh no, she thought. Not again. Not now.

This was the way it always started; with a sound that only she could hear. Sometimes it was a low tone, sometimes a sustained musical note. Most often, it was a whispering voice; a sussuration of indistinct words in basic Terran or the formal language of Auron. And then, quite suddenly, Cally would be somewhere else with no recollection of how she got there. Sometimes she found herself alone; other times confronted by her companions, their expressions a mixture of pity, irritation and curiousity – even suspicion. She would have to fill the blanks in her memory with their reports of what she had said and done, and some of her deeds horrified her. It was at these times that she felt most alone; the alien among her human crew mates.

After one such incident, Vila had once made a clumsy attempt at sympathy, telling her he understood what it felt like to wake up in an unknown location with no knowledge of how he got there. Cally brushed him off. "There's a difference, Vila. Your memory loss on Space City was self-inflicted. And by the way, you still owe me a necklace of your teeth." Vila had turned pale, and fled.

Cally's blackouts had never happened before she came on board the Liberator. Something on the ship must have triggered them, and the incidents became more frequent after the Liberator was damaged in the Galactic War. But although the ship was gone and they were now stranded on Terminal, there was that sound again; the whispers that presaged another incident. Once again, she might unintentionally endanger herself and her crew mates. Cally shook her head. This mustn't happen, their survival was at stake and, as Tarrant put it, there was much to do.

It had snowed overnight. When the skies cleared, Avon and Dayna had gone out to investigate the ship that Servalan had left for them. Tarrant was sulking after another bitter row in which he first blamed Avon for their predicament and then complained when Avon chose Dayna to accompany him outside. "A ship's no good without a pilot," he'd grumbled, but agreed that it probably wasn't wise for him and Avon to be alone together at the moment.

The whispers in her head growing stronger; time was short. Cally had to decide quickly whether to stay in the central chamber with Tarrant and Vila, or to isolate herself. She edged closer to the door and glanced back at the two men. Tarrant was working on a communications array, while Vila was assembling items he could adapt to use as tools. "I feel naked without my toolkit," he'd said earlier, and Dayna had shuddered theatrically. "Please! That's not an image I want inside my head."

An image inside my head...

Cally suddenly understood what she was hearing, and nearly laughed out loud as the whispers resolved into a familiar voice - Blake's voice. From her position near the door, she was picking up soft echoes carried along the corridor, inaudible to her crewmates on the other side of the chamber. The sound must be emanating from the voice simulator in the lab where Avon had been given his drug-induced vision of Blake. All she had to do was switch it off.

Vila looked up as she headed out the door. "Where are you going, Cally?"

"I just want to check on something in the lab."

"Well, if you find anything to drink, you'll let me know, won't you?"

Hugbot
@Travisina: Both Tithing Day and Whispers are gut-punchingly brilliant. During the Volcano rewatch, I realised that Hower always said 'we' when he talked about his dictatorial decisions. Showing what the ordinary folk really thought about his murderous 'pacifism' was both heart-wrenching and enlightening. - Your take on explaining Cally's dying words is also very convincing. I admired your skilful way of story telling: Not re-telling the end that we all know but leaving it to our imagination definitely enhanced the impact of the little tale.

@LS/Lurena: A fascinating idea to use a game as a mechanism to bring out Avon's memories. And again such an apt illustration!

@TT: Very funny, thank you. Good to see that there are more fans of the second-best band ever! (I wonder what I would have done if the word prompt had been 'salamander'?) But nonetheless I am waiting for your epic Harvest Feast on Bucol II.

purplecleric
And Avon rocks on! Thanks, TT - I now have the urge to dig out my vinyl copy of 'dark side'.

And Travisina - another skilful bit of storytelling, proving what is left unsaid is often more powerful than what is spelled out.

Joe Dredd
trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

TT, I think you should get the prize for the most ingenious use of the 'Harvest' word prompt! :)

I was thoroughly stuck on doing a 'Harvest' story, until it struck me around lunchtime today that the best-group-ever (well, IMO) were released on an EMI subsidiary called Harvest Records ;)

Lucky you didn't think of the Wurzels album "Finest 'Arvest of the Wurzels" first!

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I was thoroughly stuck on doing a 'Harvest' story, until it struck me around lunchtime today that the best-group-ever (well, IMO) were released on an EMI subsidiary called Harvest Records Wink

Lucky you didn't think of the Wurzels album "Finest 'Arvest of the Wurzels" first!

Avon listening to "I've got a brand new combine Harvester?" Grin

That's a different story entirely Grin Grin

Travisina
This thread will now be locked.

Thanks to everyone for their stories and comments, and huge thanks as ever to Purplecleric for organising these challenges.

See you on the Og-tober thread!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,169,787 unique visits since 8th January 2014