Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles Vol 5
meegat39
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Liberator Chronicles Volume Five. Definitely one of the better volumes out there. Every story was interesting and entertaining and I never got bored listening. Thanks Big Finish! You did a great job with this one.

Logic - Very dark story that I felt captured the essence of the Federation.
Risk Management - Entertaining story, ably narrated by Gareth Thomas with Sally Knevette.
Three - Brilliant Servalan story that illustrated exactly how wicked she really is.

Great performances by all involved, but for me that which stood out were by Gareth Thomas and Jacqueline Pearce. Pol and Cullen were also great characters/performances by the actors. Of course Paul was his usual wonderful self, although I would have liked a bigger part for him. I recommend getting these!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Lentila
Yes, I thought this was a very good volume, as well. I like all three stories, and I like the contrast in tone that Risk Management makes with the others.

meegat39
Lentila wrote:

Yes, I thought this was a very good volume, as well. I like all three stories, and I like the contrast in tone that Risk Management makes with the others.

I'm glad you also liked them Grin I'm now wondering whether to get Volume 6???

Lentila
For me, Volume Six was less successful.

In reverse order ...

(Trying to avoid spoilers)

I didn't like Blake's Story very much mostly because it didn't fit with my view of Blake's character. I feel that he was set up initially by Terry Nation as a very positive and charismatic person. His optimism and determination to control his own life contrasted with characters like Avon (cynical and essentially pessimistic) and Vila (taking the path of least resistance). Then writers like Chris Boucher started to change the character to make him more ambiguous, and to ask questions about whether the ends justify the means. These sorts of character developments are part of the appeal of Blake's 7 - and it gave Blake more depth - so that was good. However, I think in this audio that Blake's character has moved too far in a direction I don't really like. Gareth Thomas is great, though.

Jenna's Story was very entertaining, especially the first half. I liked the places and situations she found herself in. Again, Sally's performance was very good. However, I found the plot confusing, and I would have preferred Big Finish to have told Jenna and Blake's stories over a longer period and several more audios.

Incentive is a brilliant story - it's witty and the character interaction is lovely. Because it's a cast of three (and I like the new character very much) it feels almost like a full-cast audio. I think this is my perfect Liberator Chronicle. I like the darker stories that Big Finish has been producing, but they can't all be horror stories - and this one really sparkles and feels very Blake's 7.

Sorry for the long-winded reply!

meegat39
Lentila wrote:

For me, Volume Six was less successful.

In reverse order ...

(Trying to avoid spoilers)

I didn't like Blake's Story very much mostly because it didn't fit with my view of Blake's character. I feel that he was set up initially by Terry Nation as a very positive and charismatic person. His optimism and determination to control his own life contrasted with characters like Avon (cynical and essentially pessimistic) and Vila (taking the path of least resistance). Then writers like Chris Boucher started to change the character to make him more ambiguous, and to ask questions about whether the ends justify the means. These sorts of character developments are part of the appeal of Blake's 7 - and it gave Blake more depth - so that was good. However, I think in this audio that Blake's character has moved too far in a direction I don't really like. Gareth Thomas is great, though.

Jenna's Story was very entertaining, especially the first half. I liked the places and situations she found herself in. Again, Sally's performance was very good. However, I found the plot confusing, and I would have preferred Big Finish to have told Jenna and Blake's stories over a longer period and several more audios.

Incentive is a brilliant story - it's witty and the character interaction is lovely. Because it's a cast of three (and I like the new character very much) it feels almost like a full-cast audio. I think this is my perfect Liberator Chronicle. I like the darker stories that Big Finish has been producing, but they can't all be horror stories - and this one really sparkles and feels very Blake's 7.

Sorry for the long-winded reply!

No thank you for the information! I think I will get it, but not for a while, I want to listen to the ones I've got a bit more first ...

timdalton007
Having had this suggested to me as a possible next think to listen to over on the Newbie Audio Question thread, I recently listened to these. Hugely enjoyable stories all around, even from my point of view as a something of a new fan. I enjoyed Logic in particular and just because it had Louise Jameson in it, though I appreciated getting to hear her in a role outside of Doctor Who. I found her performance to be quite compelling and the way the story, and what Pol remembers, keeps changing.

I found Risk Management to be entertaining but I didn't find it as strong as either of the other two stories. Not sure why I feel that way though. A good story but maybe things wrapped up a bit too nicely perhaps?

And then there's Three. I hadn't quite encountered Servalan in the series and only knew her through her appearance in Warship so this was really my introduction to the character. And my word she's terrifying and just when I thought I had a grasp of her, she turns around and utterly surprises you. Joseph Kloska, who I knew from his roles in the Doctor Who: Lost Stories release Masters Of Luxor was strong as well playing Cullen though I do think he went a bit too over the top at the end but that could have been the script more than him. Actually, I could see Three being done as a stage play given that it's effectively a two-hander and with a couple of sets only as well.

Overall, the impression I got was that this volume was more about the universe in which Blake's 7 takes place and in particular the Federation, Servalan and how they do things. In that regard, I can see why these stories were suggested to me and I'm quite thankful for it.

timdalton007

Scott
Just listened to Logic, and generally enjoyed it. Louise Jameson is very good and carries the lead well. Interesting that the Liberator crew are essentially in the background in this one.

The one real flaw for me was in using Avon as he main B7 character in this story, given the content which is based around Federation brainwashing and memory editing breaking down, this really ought to have been a Blake story. Perhaps a touch of 'should be Blake but he's in another story and Avon sells from Big Finish here'?

Scott

Spaceship Dispatcher
The role that Avon plays in the narrative of Logic demanded a degree of callous detachment from the emotions of the individual and I'm not sure that Blake's empathy would have fitted the situation or had the same dynamic, or even reached the same conclusion as forcing Pol to confront things through a lack of sympathy was essential to the plot.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Gauda Cheese
Placed my order of this and Vol 6 today.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Scott
Just listened to 'Risk Management and 'Three', with extremely mixed views.

I thought 'Three' was a good study of Servalan's psyche, quite graphic in places but believable. Whereas 'Risk Management' is one of the worst things I've had to listen to in a long time.

A sub standard Douglas Adams rip off, with absolutely no link to B7 in either style or substance. It was if the author had an old story rattling round in a cupboard, and just decided to change the names to Blake and Jenna when she got the call. Appalling.

Gauda Cheese
Heard Logic today and loved it.

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Good, isn't it? Definitely up there with my favourites!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Gauda Cheese
Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Yeah me too, Simon Guerrier does some of my fave Who audios (The Peter Purves ones!) and I'm always excited for his B7 stories too.

Louise was just amazing as Pol. She narrated and acted beautifully and bounced off all three B7 regs very well. My favourite lady companion in B7! Oops

Risk management tomorrow.

BradPaula
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Yeah me too, Simon Guerrier does some of my fave Who audios (The Peter Purves ones!) and I'm always excited for his B7 stories too.

Louise was just amazing as Pol. She narrated and acted beautifully and bounced off all three B7 regs very well. My favourite lady companion in B7! Oops

I met Louise again last November and I could not wait to tell her how much I enjoyed her portrayal in 'Logic'. She seemed thrilled tio hear that. Also- I mentioned to various Big Finish honchos at a panel that I thought it was a very good idea to 'seed' Doctor Who classic and new actors into Blake's 7 audios. I told them it may boost their sales having two fandoms buying the audios. Well, at first they balked at the idea and said they purposely liked to keep that sort of thing to a minimum- but just look at the ensuing audios- both Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, there is a crossing of actors lately- Gareth in a DW and Dan Starkey in a B7 among others. I think the concept is a brilliant one and would make me buy more audios than normally. Anyway- Louise was as always humble and gracious and is a true fan's actor- always willing to go the extra mile for us. Great job on the audio, Louise. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm always happy to see RL crossovers between the two Happy

Thanks for passing our appreciation to Louise btw
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Gauda Cheese
BradPaula wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I met Louise again last November and I could not wait to tell her how much I enjoyed her portrayal in 'Logic'. She seemed thrilled tio hear that. Also- I mentioned to various Big Finish honchos at a panel that I thought it was a very good idea to 'seed' Doctor Who classic and new actors into Blake's 7 audios. I told them it may boost their sales having two fandoms buying the audios. Well, at first they balked at the idea and said they purposely liked to keep that sort of thing to a minimum- but just look at the ensuing audios- both Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, there is a crossing of actors lately- Gareth in a DW and Dan Starkey in a B7 among others. I think the concept is a brilliant one and would make me buy more audios than normally. Anyway- Louise was as always humble and gracious and is a true fan's actor- always willing to go the extra mile for us. Great job on the audio, Louise. -Paula

I've met my fave Doctor, now I wanna meet Louise! Why not do a special audio release of the two series meeting? Also wheres my B7 Dalek story dang it?

Gauda Cheese
Risk Management was a fun little story with some nice continuity nods.

Tomorrow... Three.

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Risk Management was a fun little story with some nice continuity nods.

Tomorrow... Three.

Interesting in your thoughts on Three, given how much we agree on televised B7. Wink

Gauda Cheese
Holy $%$#

Thats my gut reaction once I'd finished Three. I really liked it, but.....

SPOILER

I knew she gave him the info about the grain massacres and I was skeptical about the truth of any of her stories about her family from the start. Though you can either buy them all or dismiss them. Up to us I think.

I also knew Cullen would not go unscathed, but geez the scale of it!

On Volume 5 I'd say Logic is the strongest of the three, though Pearce is mesmerizing in err Three

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Holy $%$#

Thats my gut reaction once I'd finished Three. I really liked it, but.....

SPOILER

I knew she gave him the info about the grain massacres and I was skeptical about the truth of any of her stories about her family from the start. Though you can either buy them all or dismiss them. Up to us I think.

I also knew Cullen would not go unscathed, but geez the scale of it!

On Volume 5 I'd say Logic is the strongest of the three, though Pearce is mesmerizing in err Three

**** MORE SPOLIERS****

But did Servalan actually wipe out Cullen's family or not?

I suspect she didn't. if she did, then Cullen is also a dead man... because she can't afford to keep alive a man whose one aim would be to avenge his family.

I suspect he'll arrive home to find his family infact, with any information he did have removed. Servie then has a journalist in place she knows won't dare to cross her again, and someone who will do anything she orders in the future...

Still my favourite Big Finish Release... a 10/10 and better than all than about 3 or 4 of the televised episodes.

I think I'd put itaro fifth overall, behind Blake, Rumours, City and Orbit.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
9,820,858 unique visits since 8th January 2014