Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
House of Cards - UK version versus the US version
Spaceresearcher
Hello all,
I've just finished watching the first three seasons of the US version of House of Cards and while waiting for the highly anticipated 4th season, thought I'd check out the UK mini-sereis version.

So far, while I love Kevin Spacey and his nack for choosing awkward roles that he pulls off well, I'm actually liking the UK version even more. I think it's the fact that the Royalty plays a part in the political landscape which adds another dimension to the story. The US version has certainly had some spectacular moments, but without doubt (and only half way through the UK mini-series), the UK version is the clear winner for me thus far(can't give an ultimate conclusion until I've seen the US 4th season and how that will pan out.

I'd be interested to hear what other fellow Blakes 7 fans (who may also watch these series) find upon watching the 2 similar series based on the same author's work.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 07 March 2016 05:29:48

JustBrad
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Hello all,
I've just finished watching the first three seasons of the US version of House of Cards and while waiting for the highly anticipated 4th season, thought I'd check out the UK mini-sereis version.

Kevin Spacey is one of my favorite American actors, but Ian Richardson was born to play that role.

Travisina
I haven't seen the US version, but when House of Cards was first shown in the UK it was absolutely groundbreaking, and one of my favourite series ever. Ian Richardson was outstanding. The catch phrase 'You may think so, but I couldn't possibly comment' has now become one of the most quotable and quoted lines in all sorts of political situations and interviews.

The other astonishing thing was the timing of its broadcast. When it began, Thatcher was still Prime Minister, having been in that position for so long that there were kids in high school who had never known another PM.
In the opening scene of HoC, Urquart says something along the lines of: "Every reign, however glittering, must come to an end," and as he says that, he turns a picture of Thatcher face down on his desk.
Two days later, she resigned.
Coincidence?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have never seen either series, but the Ian Richardson version of House of Cards and the Danish series Borgen are both on my shopping list when I feel like getting into some political drama.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
I have yet to see the US version but the UK version I have seen in its entirety and I loved it. Ian Richardson was amazing and I could easily watch it again and again.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceresearcher
Totally agree, Ian Richardson is the man and carries the whole series without a doubt. In the US version, Kevin has moments of putting his foot in it, while appearing in media events, whereas Ian's character is more articulate and always seems to know exactly what to say. That line is indeed awesome. "You may very well think so, but I couldn't possibly comment". I'd better hold off on story twists until others have seen the series but needless to say your in for a rewarding political drama series which really makes you wonder how bad real life politics is by comparison. Ground breaking series indeed the UK version. So far it delivers more in less time than the US series takes to deliver the same impact.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just bought House of Cards on dvd this morning... Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceresearcher
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

How did you find it?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Spaceresearcher wrote:

How did you find it?

It's usually on the shelf of my local HMV store.

Spaceship Dispatcher
We just finished watching the UK version of House of Cards last week, and I came away with mixed feelings about it to be honest. Ian Richardson stayed as compelling as ever from start to finish, but for me the show faded out a little and I enjoyed each set of four episodes less than the one before. The creators seemed to be trying to better their own efforts too much with the show becoming more sensational and controversial each series, with more gratuitous sex scenes being shoe horned in that were not really necessary in regard to either plot or character. The ending was utterly implausible to me, though I expect fans of the episode Blake will disagree, and I felt quite let down. My favourite character and performance was Nick Brimble as Corder, despite his role in the final scene. Overall I would give the show a 7/10 and Ian Richardson as the star a good 9/10, but there are several shows that I would recommend ahead of this one.

Travisina

We just finished watching the UK version of House of Cards last week, and I came away with mixed feelings about it...

I agree with you, SD. I've not watched any of them since their original broadcast, but I remember being blown away by the first series - it was groundbreaking, fantastic telly. It was made all the more chillingly powerful, because the first ep begins with Urquart saying something along the lines of 'every reign, however glittering, has to come to an end', turning a picture of Thatcher face down as he speaks. She was still PM when that episode was broadcast; two days later she resigned. I sometimes wondered whether that had been the final straw for her?

But then I remember liking the second series less, the one with Michael Kitchen (?) as the Prince of Wales, and I don't remember the third series, although I'm sure I watched it at the time. For a newbie, I would highly recommend series one, and then not to bother with the rest.

Gauda Cheese
I loved the first two House of Cards minis, but the third lacked something for me. Not seen the US version. Generally not into remakes or reimaginings.

One of the guys from Traitor is in it.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

trevor travis

We just finished watching the UK version of House of Cards last week, and I came away with mixed feelings about it to be honest. Ian Richardson stayed as compelling as ever from start to finish, but for me the show faded out a little and I enjoyed each set of four episodes less than the one before. The creators seemed to be trying to better their own efforts too much with the show becoming more sensational and controversial each series, with more gratuitous sex scenes being shoe horned in that were not really necessary in regard to either plot or character. The ending was utterly implausible to me, though I expect fans of the episode Blake will disagree, and I felt quite let down. My favourite character and performance was Nick Brimble as Corder, despite his role in the final scene. Overall I would give the show a 7/10 and Ian Richardson as the star a good 9/10, but there are several shows that I would recommend ahead of this one.

Strictly speaking, only the first mini-series is called House Of Cards. The subsequent mini-series are called To Play The King and The Final Cut.

I agree with you that House Of Cards is the pick of the bunch and a truly outstanding four episodes of television (with the BBC taking a real risk in terms of upsetting the Tory government), although I did enjoy all three series. There’s a certain sense of grim satisfaction watching him hoist on his own petard in The Final Cut, although yes, much of the cleverness and subtlety of the original is missing by this time.

Ian Richardson is magnificent throughout. I can't imagine anyone else playing his role - it belongs to him.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I agree with you that House Of Cards is the pick of the bunch and a truly outstanding four episodes of television (with the BBC taking a real risk in terms of upsetting the Tory government), although I did enjoy all three series. There’s a certain sense of grim satisfaction watching him hoist on his own petard in The Final Cut, although yes, much of the cleverness and subtlety of the original is missing by this time.

Ian Richardson is magnificent throughout. I can't imagine anyone else playing his role - it belongs to him.

Good point about subtlety. It was a strength of the original series, with so many allusions and little nods. But by the time of The Final Cut, everything is really heavy and exaggerated.

Likewise, I can only imagine Ian Richardson in the role!

trevor travis
Of course, the original transmission date of House Of Cards was remarkable. It starts with the fictional resignation of Margaret Thatcher, and then Thatcher resigned in real life in the week after the first episode! I think it had been in planning for at least a year, so it was a complete coincidence, but it added a metaphysical layer to the series.

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Of course, the original transmission date of House Of Cards was remarkable. It starts with the fictional resignation of Margaret Thatcher, and then Thatcher resigned in real life in the week after the first episode! I think it had been in planning for at least a year, so it was a complete coincidence, but it added a metaphysical layer to the series.

Indeed. It had to have been a coincidence, as it takes months/years for a series to go from script to screen (the first Prime Suspect was done at breakneck speed - but had already been written cast when shooting began in September for a March transmission)
As I said upthread, I wondered whether the first ep of HoC was the final straw that led to Thatcher's resignation days after it was aired?

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Indeed. It had to have been a coincidence, as it takes months/years for a series to go from script to screen (the first Prime Suspect was done at breakneck speed - but had already been written cast when shooting began in September for a March transmission)
As I said upthread, I wondered whether the first ep of HoC was the final straw that led to Thatcher's resignation days after it was aired?

Sorry, Travisina, hadn't spotted your comments.

As for whether it caused Thatcher to resign, it would be nice to think so, but it probably didn't. Geoffrey Howe's sensational resignation speech was the final straw, and that happened before the first episode of House Of Cards had been transmitted. Thatcher was a dead duck after that; it was simply a matter of time.

But it was amazing how it fitted in. On the same evening, House Of Cards started transmission on BBC1, while Spitting Image were really putting the boot in on ITV. Spitting Image, of course, was written at the last minute to match political events; House Of Cards was an extraordinary coincidence.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,909,917 unique visits since 8th January 2014