Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 96
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Terminal vs Blake
Terminal Terminal 20%[4 Votes]
Blake Blake 80%[16 Votes]
Total Votes : 20
 Print Thread
Terminal vs Blake
sweevo
Which episode served as the better series finale? The original ending (Terminal) or the infamous final chapter of the saga (Blake)? Votes and opinions, please. Smile I think Blake is a little overrated, but it does bring the series full circle as it began with Blake and a massacre and ends with Blake and a massacre. Terminal, while poorly written, does have a more definite feeling of finality - the dying Liberator, Zen's last words, the ominous heartbeat on Terminal, Servalan (seemingly) meeting her Maker, Blake being (supposedly) deceased and the crew stranded on the ominous planet... and 3 is usually the perfect number, as it indicates a beginning, middle and end - let's discuss. Smile
 
JustBrad
From the standard narrative, Terminal is a classic final act. All the loose ends are tied up. The protagonist (Blake) is dead, but so is the villain. Our remaining heroes have suffered great loss, but survived, and have at least slim hope of a better future. It is a brilliantly crafted finale. It is the sort of ending Shakespeare might have written if he were in a charitable mood.

If it weren't for Blake (the episode), Blake's 7 just wouldn't be Blake's 7. Episode 52 broke the mold. It is the one biggest reason we are still talking bout the series decades later. The likes of episode 52 had never been seen before, and only rarely since. Given that B7 was the undisputed inspiration for Babylon 5 and Farscape, and rumored inspiration for Firefly and many others, episode 52 changed sci fi forever, and for that, it gets my vote.
 
sweevo
I see your point, Brad - that, and we have one episode for each week of the year. Smile
 
Anniew
Terminal is the result of bad luck and judgement. Blake is too but seems more like the inevitable conclusion to Avon and Blake's relationship. It brings the issues of trust to a memorable climax. Blake's " I've always trusted you" seems less a statement of fact that is questionable and more a life philosophy -trust that people will do the right thing. ( a philosophy he shares with Cally and probably Tarrant) Avon believes the worst of people - that in a crisis they will act out of self preservation as he does. Put them in a situation where these philosophies meet head to head and an explosion is inevitable.

Terminal doesn't feel like the end because Avon tries to do the right thing but fails and is tricked by an evil adversary. In Blake both men are true to their nature and so the consequences are tragic but have that sad " Ah yes of course that's how it ends" vibe. There isn't a sense that an outside agency is truly to blame. That's why it's such an end end. ( if I make any sense here)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
BradPaula
Although in Terminal, as the name states, things are wrapped up seemingly forever for Blake's 7. Blake is dead, Servalan very probably and the crew are stranded on a dangerous planet for the rest of their natural lives. That being said, it was wonderful having 13 more episodes to treasure in series 4. Blake, the episode, was the culmination of everything that we hold dear in Blake's 7. We're a tough lot in having witnessed Blake's fatal blunder in conversation causing Avon to end up shooting him dead. It's something that has kept the series alive for us, and we've been talking about it for more than 30 years. It never gets old. So I vote for Blake.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Hugbot
The first word spoken in B7 (apart from the PA voice) is 'Roj!'.
In Blake, the last word ever spoken in B7 is 'Avon!'.

Perfect.
 
Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

The first word spoken in B7 (apart from the PA voice) is 'Roj!'.
In Blake, the last word ever spoken in B7 is 'Avon!'.

Perfect.

Hugbot, I hadn't thought of that. It is perfect. Sigh.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
President Solvite
Blake for me, it flows better than Terminal, provokes more questions about Blake's activities and therefore is of more interest. Also I find the actions of the characters more credible in Blake than Terminal.. Although the final death of Zen will haunt me until the end of my days..
 
http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Gauda Cheese
Blake! It has to be one of the best final episodes in TV.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...
 
trevor travis
Just to add, my vote goes to "Blake".

"Terminal" is a great season finale, but for me, would not be ideal as the very final episode. For starters, it doesn't contain the real Blake, and also it's an one-off episode, there are no clues in "Death-Watch" or "Moloch", etc, of what's to come.

Meanwhile, "Blake" is one of the best-ever final episodes of any series, and there is a build-up to the episode, as Avon starts to lose it as the final series progresses.
 
dragonq
I am voting for Blake. There was always something about Terminal that didn't sit right with me; I thought the Links were almost as ridiculous as Og, while as for Zen's death and the destruction of the Liberator: it was almost too much to process. (I think I have mentioned elsewhere that kind people in the UK told me that everyone died before Blake hit Australian TV screens, so the end of Terminal was for me far more of a shock than the end of Blake.)

I think Blake is a better episode, and I for one, was very glad Servalan didn't wander in at the end and gloat: it would have been a step too far, in my opinion.
 
peladon
Terminal, on every count.
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
peladon wrote:

Terminal, on every count.

Hurrah, a second Terminal vote! I'm not alone any longer Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
Child Of Auron
A third Terminal vote from me.

Maybe it's because this story really was the one that stuck in my head as a child but I feel this story ended on the right downbeat note without everyone dying. Cally was still alive (yay)

Though without the episode Blake it is true that B7 wouldn't still be remembered 30 years on
 
rojkerr1
Blake, always Blake
 
peladon
Child Of Auron wrote:

A third Terminal vote from me.

Maybe it's because this story really was the one that stuck in my head as a child but I feel this story ended on the right downbeat note without everyone dying. Cally was still alive (yay)


Though without the episode Blake it is true that B7 wouldn't still be remembered 30 years on

Though that may be the view of some here I really dont think its the case. The previous 3 series had already gained cult status and it takes more than 1 episode to hold an audience over 30 yrs. I'd say it has endured for the same reasons others have and most of them dont have a final episode in that form. Without Blake the type of fan, the people here, might have been different but I think it would have survivied in much the same way - maybe more so.

Blake was one of the first episodes I saw and on the back of that I nearly didnt bother with the rest of the series when the tapes came up for sale, but I bought a few more and it was the Way Back,Project Avalon and Deliverance that drew me in.


SD, the select few Grin
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm with you Peladon; it's incredible to me the number of times I read or hear that Blake's 7 being a cult show with its own fandom was dependent on the last episode or scene. Would the previous 51 episodes really not have been worth remembering and celebrating if the characters has not died at the end? Would keen viewers really have not bothered to start any clubs to write about, share and discuss the show? Is the rest of the show valued so lightly that anyone would actually not bother with it if there wasn't a violent massacre in the last five minutes? I find the whole notion quite negative toward respecting and acknowledging the talents and efforts the cast and crew in creating the four years of episodes prior to Blake. It's a viewpoint that I still don't understand despite some years of trying.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
Anniew
Blake was one of the first episodes I saw and on the back of that I nearly didnt bother with the rest of the series when the tapes came up for sale, but I bought a few more and it was the Way Back,Project Avalon and Deliverance that drew me in.


I can see that, viewed coldly as a stand alone episode but I think you're ignoring the effect it had on those of us that had watched from the beginning, fully expecting, if not victory for Blakes7 that at least they'd escape to fight another day, and watching as one of their own destroyed that hope. It was a confirmation of the fear that had been growing that Avon was right all along ( he can't win. You know he can't win) but also that none of us could - that the system would always beat us. And made worse by the fact that the worm of corruption infected not just the way lives were governed but the personal relationships formed in such a regime. It was as depressing as hell. I have never got over the impact!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

I can see that, viewed coldly as a stand alone episode but I think you're ignoring the effect it had on those of us that had watched from the beginning...

But surely it had an impact because you already liked the show? You didn't choose to like Blake's 7 and feel for the characters only after and because they die.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site
 
peladon
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'm with you Peladon; it's incredible to me the number of times I read or hear that Blake's 7 being a cult show with its own fandom was dependent on the last episode or scene. Would the previous 51 episodes really not have been worth remembering and celebrating if the characters has not died at the end? Would keen viewers really have not bothered to start any clubs to write about, share and discuss the show? Is the rest of the show valued so lightly that anyone would actually not bother with it if there wasn't a violent massacre in the last five minutes? I find the whole notion quite negative toward respecting and acknowledging the talents and efforts the cast and crew in creating the four years of episodes prior to Blake. It's a viewpoint that I still don't understand despite some years of trying.


True, and I'm not sure the view of the last episode is as universal as the comments here suggest, after all the status board says 500 plus members but how many comment/vote? Ive also come across fans who would never consider joining this forum, and they too make up a part of the reason it continues.

I wasnt involved at the time of the series, but my reading, including that of other fanfic, suggets it was a fandom going strong and with the series cult status well established by the end of the second series.
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.52 seconds
9,500,829 unique visits since 8th January 2014