Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
August Fanfic Challenge
clareblues1
Tarrant bristled. He couldn't believe the nerve of the man! He stiffened his spine, threw back his shoulders and injected every ounce of arrogance he had acquired as a Federation officer into his voice.

"I don't care how important these rebels are to your alliance!" He scolded.

Avon frowned and turned away from him.

"You're only going to Endor to find a friend for your teddy!"

Avon stood silent.

"They're not bad for little furballs", Vila quipped.

OK that's not up to hugbot's standards, and I did warn you I had a silly train of thought going on, but if it makes you smile then I'll settle for that Smile
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

BradPaula
Endor, planet of the teddy bears! Excellent, Clare.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
clareblues1 wrote:

OK that's not up to hugbot's standards, and I did warn you I had a silly train of thought going on, but if it makes you smile then I'll settle for that Smile

Well done with your story, Clare, and yes, I think Huggy has won the internet.

Anniew
Hugbot that's a great idea beautifully executed. It fills in Tarrant's backstory nicely and lays to rest the notion of Gan as a psychopathic murderer.

Claire - I love any story that resurrects Avon's Teddy. I do understand why Tarrant was so incensed at having to chase around the Universe not only after Blake but after a friend for Ted. Definitely a quest too far!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Ellen York
Hugbot, I'm amazed at how well all the pieces in your story fit together. Convincing backstory for both Tarrant and Gan, believable explanation for the limiter, and the Libby crew providing Tarrant with his chance to escape the Federation. It all adds up to a feeling of "yes, this is exactly how it happened".

Ellen York
My muse decided to make an early appearance this month, or maybe I am picking up some trans-Atlantic telepathy from Clare Grin

Tarrant bristled. He couldn’t believe the nerve of the man! He stiffened his spine, threw back his shoulders and injected every ounce of arrogance he had acquired as a Federation officer into his voice.
“I won based on superior tactical skill. A Federation officer does not cheat at Galactic Monopoly!”.

Anniew
love it Ellen! laugh out loud!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Hugbot that's a great idea beautifully executed. It fills in Tarrant's backstory nicely and lays to rest the notion of Gan as a psychopathic murderer.

....as per the authors of Liberation!
No. I've never thought of Gan as anything other than a very wronged man.
Having at long last managed to find time to read all the entries so far, all I can say is well done to everyone.
Once again a mixture of fun and so, so sad. (I'm fast running out of tissues.)
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
Thank you all for your encouraging comments on my story. *bows*

@Clare: Your little story not only made me smile, but laugh! I needed a few moments to remember what Endor was - but when the penny finally dropped, it was hilarious.

clareblues1 wrote:

OK that's not up to hugbot's standards

My standards??? You don't know what silly ideas for the 'heat' challenge crossed my mind! Grin

@Ellen: You set a new record - completing the scene with just two short sentences! And with this small addition you managed to tell a complete and laugh-out-loud funny story. Chapeau!

clareblues1
I've got another spoof story on the boil hugbot, still needs work though.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

BradPaula
Survival Instinct

The life capsule reminded her of a coffin and she had never liked close spaces, but this was an emergency and she'd have to deal with her fears in order to survive. Smoke was billowing out of the ventilation shafts now and time was of the essence. If she was to escape, she'd have to go immediately. One last frantic look around the ship she had grown to love and she decided it was time.

She threw a hastily-packed bag into the capsule and crawled in. This was going to be uncomfortable, she thought sourly, but there was no alternative. She closed the hatch and familiarized herself with the primitive controls: a basic launch button mocked her in bright red and a few auxiliary knobs for simple navigation and life support functions stared back at her. It wasn't promising. She braced herself as best she could then reached up and pushed the eject button.

The impact of leaving the ship shook the capsule violently. As the life rocket fell away from the starboard side of the ship, it was hit broadside by some sort of wreckage; probably part of a ship Liberator had destroyed. The collision caused the capsule to yaw and pitch sickeningly. Jenna was knocked unconscious by the violent impact as her head hit the capsule's side wall. She slumped down onto the sparse bed and remembered nothing after that of the life rocket's erratic flight.

When she woke, she had no idea how long she had been out. After checking life support, she realized it was getting very hot within the capsule. A quick glance out of the quartz-strengthened side window and she could see why. Jenna was entering the atmosphere of a planet and the reddish-tinged aura around her life capsule was being created by the excessive heat build up caused by friction between the capsule itself and the atmosphere. She suddenly realized she was flying blind and too fast. She did what she could to regulate the temperature inside her life rocket but to no good effect. She became giddy from the rising temperature and started to pass out again from the massive wave of heat. She would have to rely on the basic functions of the capsule to get her down safely.

Luckily for Jenna, she landed hard but intact on the planet's surface. As she regained consciousness she jabbed a button on the nav console and shrank back in pain. It seemed she had broken her wrist upon impact with the ground. That, and a couple of good bumps and bruises thrown in for good measure. She used her right hand to complete the task and found she had made planet fall on Morphenial, one of the small number of planets that had been suggested to them all before their forced eviction of the Liberator. She felt relieved she had survived it all- the unscheduled trip to the planet in the life capsule- and the Galactic War.

She hit the hatch release and carefully climbed out onto the rough terrain of the planet. She then noticed the slight but painful scorch marks on her arms. If she had had a mirror handy, she would have seen the same marks on her lovely face. She really had been lucky to have survived. Jenna then noticed the black streaks across the capsule's sides- it had been literally burning while traversing Morphenial's atmosphere. She suddenly wondered about the fate of Blake and the others. Were they alive too? No use thinking about that, she thought sadly, there was nothing she could do about them now. She retrieved her bag from the capsule's bed and found the small gun she had hastily packed. She'd probably need it now. Taking a handkerchief from her pocket, Jenna carefully wrapped it around her injured wrist. She'd have to use her right hand now in case she needed to fire the gun. She'd manage, she convinced herself. With a signature move, she lifted her chin up proudly and decided she could do this. She hefted her bag and chose a route out of the silent forest. First order: get to civilization. Second: receive medical attention. Third: find Blake and continue his crusade. There really was no alternative. She walked on.

Ellen York
Nice description of Jenna; she is a survivor. And I like that you included the determined lift of her chin when she is steeling herself for action.

JustBrad
Achievable Objectives.

“No. Thank you for coming all this way, but no. Talk to Cauder, maybe he can find a use for you.”

Tarrant bristled. He couldn’t believe the nerve of the man! He stiffened his spine, threw back his shoulders and injected every ounce of arrogance he had acquired as a Federation officer into his voice. “Just like that? I've come a long way to see you. If you think you can dismiss me out of hand...”

“I'd be absolutely right.” The man turned and walked away.

With his long stride, Tarrant easily kept up. “Don't you even want to know who I am?”

“I know exactly who you are, Del Tarrant, currently absent without leave from the Galactic Eighth Fleet.”

Tarrant rallied, “Then you know you can't afford to throw away talent like mine. I trained as a Federation officer.”

The man smirked in a most annoying way. “You should have been here a month ago. This place was full of dead Federation officers, most of them killed by me, by my handful of professionals, and by Cauder's eager, and easily trained militia.”

Tarrant took the man by the shoulder, dragging him to a halt. “I'm already trained.”

“I know. That's the problem.” The man looked at Tarrant's hand, slowly raised his eyes to lock on Tararnt's face, and arched a brow.

Tarrant removed his hand. “Very well, it's your mistake to make, but tell me why.”

The man's frown eased. “I just did. You're already fully Federation trained. You're full of Federation confidence, Federation pride, Federation zeal, and Federation arrogance. You're trained to lead armies. Look around, I don't have an army. I didn't take the Federation command center on this planet by loudly marching up to the front door with an infantry regiment, I took this place by having a single company of men in just the right position before Provine even knew I was here. That's how you beat the Federation, one battle at a time, one planet at a time. Learn some humility in the face of overwhelming odds, learn to fight only the battles you can win, learn how to tell which battles those are, and then you might be of some use to me.”

Tarrant still stood stiff, his wounded pride wasn't soothed. “You've had some success, I'll not deny it, but you'll never overthrow the Federation one battle and one planet at a time.”

The man nodded. “I don't plan to.”

Tarrant raised his chin. “I think you're missing the big picture.”

The man tilted his head. “Exactly. I am missing the big picture. The small picture is where I can win. The big picture has already been painted Federation black.”

Now Tararnt smirked. “You're admitting defeat.”

The man offered a confident grin. “I can't save the whole galaxy, so I concentrate on saving what I can.”

Tarrant stepped back. “I'll take my leave then. You save what you can, one battle at a time, and I'll see if I can help save the whole galaxy.”

The man's grin widened to a bemused smile. “Tarrant, you are gallant, brave, determined, and noble. You sound like Blake.”

Tarrant replied, “Don't tell me you'd turn him down, too.”

“I already have.”
Edited by JustBrad on 07 August 2015 02:57:41

BradPaula
Close Shave

Captain Tarrant swaggered into the room and gloated to himself on how the non-com was forced to jump to his feet and stand at attention. Being an officer did have its benefits sometimes.

“At ease, soldier,” the captain bellowed as he walked over to the chair and sat down. “Now- I only have half an hour, so make it quick,” he said with pompous authority.

The poor non-com hemmed and hawed trying to explain to his superior but Tarrant forestalled any excuses. “Now, soldier! No more time wasting! Start working or you'll be on report- mark my words!”

The soldier nodded, terrified now, and started to work. As he did, Tarrant spent his time catching up on the latest galactic news on GNN, streaming live on his data pad. The non-com worked frenziedly and silently, trying his best to do the job at hand. With the news done Tarrant now chose to read his space mails. He replied to a few but deleted the rest with a flourish of his hand. Now on to a game or two of Angry Warg-Stranglers. The half hour went quickly like this.

A harrumph from the nervous corporal and Tarrant looked up at the young man. He gestured to the mirror and asked the captain to take a look so he focused on the mirror and then goggled. Tarrant bristled. He couldn't believe the nerve of the man! He stiffened his spine, threw back his shoulders and injected every ounce of arrogance he had acquired as a Federation officer into his voice.

He stood up like a shot and rounded on the cowering man. “You call yourself a barber? Just look at this mess!” he shouted, red-faced. The coiffure he usually sported was all but gone. In its place was left a mess of short stubbly hair and a few patches of what looked like bald patches. Tarrant was incensed at how this butcher of a barber had ruined his crowning glory.

He shouted again at the poor youth. “I said, you call yourself a barber?” even more red-faced and sputtering saliva with fury.

The much abused young man finally found his voice. “No, sir! I do not call myself a barber. I call myself a janitor. But then, you wouldn't let me explain that, would you... sir?”

Tarrant threw some credits down on the chair seat and abruptly turned and left the shop, exasperated and also more than a bit embarrassed at the railing he had given the man. He didn't want to have to admit his mistake- he'd look like the blustering fool he actually had been. Hat! He's take to wearing his captains hat until his fabled hair grew out. He walked quickly to his squad room hoping none of his buddies would see the mess that had been made of his hair. He couldn't tell anyone it was all his fault. Never.

Inside the shop the janitor laughed to himself with relief as he scooped up the credits and sat in the recently vacated seat. "It serves him right, the pompous ass", he muttered to himself. "Privileged, arrogant and now half bald!" A snicker issued from his mouth at the thought of the captain and his new, but unwanted crew-cut. He lounged in the chair, swung his legs up on the counter and relaxed until the actual barber came back from his lunch hour.
Edited by BradPaula on 07 August 2015 03:58:00

JustBrad
BradPaula wrote:

Close Shave
... and now half bald!"

And what, exactly, is wrong with that? Pfft

littlesue
This seems to be 'Let's have a pop at Tarrant' month.
Have no fear, Clare, I'm just waiting for a picture from Lurena....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
littlesue wrote:

Is it? What fun Grin Grin Pfft

Travisina
What great stories from everyone!
I'm loving all the humorous Tarrant ones - and also Hugbot and Brad's for bringing him into the series earlier than his first actual appearance. Kudos!
@Paula, your depiction of Jenna is spot on.
@Anniew, love both your 'Heat' stories.
@SD - another pun-tastic entry!

As for me... um... I have to focus my attention at the moment on an essay for 'You & Who Else', so I'm going to be late to the ficlet party again. Hope to get something written before the end of the month, and in the meantime I'm loving reading everyone else's contributions!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
littlesue wrote:

Well, that rather is the set up of 'Finish The Scene,' and I did call him "gallant, brave, determined, and noble."
Edited by JustBrad on 07 August 2015 14:27:02

meegat39
Close Shave - Lol, Paula!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
9,861,267 unique visits since 8th January 2014