Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Classes of Federation citizens
lemon
How specifically can be described classes of people in the series?
So Alpha highest privileged class, educated.
Beta ... a little blurry for me. They also educated and possibly may also have little privileges. If Blake is indeed referred to as the Alpha, then Jenna and Avon could be Beta in the end.
Then Gamma ... what a class it can be? Federation troops?
Delta - the lower class and Vila as example.
What about Epsilon? I listening When in Vila met Gan (if it can be considered as canon) and in there indicated a new class of people to whom Gan assume belongs.
Somewhere, perhaps it gives specific grading?

Spaceship Dispatcher
lemon wrote:

Somewhere, perhaps it gives specific grading?

Not that I'm aware of, but it's interesting to speculate. Which class you belong to likely depends more upon breeding than ability, as with most societies through history.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

sweevo
What about class mobility? It would make sense if Vila bought his Delta classification, considering his supposed intellect (he may very well be a Beta or Alpha acting and posing as a Delta).

meegat39
It says in The Keeper that Jenna was an Alpha grade citizen
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Lurena
lemon wrote:

What about Epsilon? I listening When in Vila met Gan (if it can be considered as canon) and in there indicated a new class of people to whom Gan assume belongs.

Emigrants perhaps?

It's a nice subject lemon, I've been thinking a lot about this matter too.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
Lurena I love the Avon thingy! Hilarious. What's the proper name for it?

Re Vila - I always thought he hid his intelligence because in a stratified society it would have been dangerous to show abilities your class were not supposed to have.
Avon was either a super Alpha who had disgraced the family name or a Beta who hated the lack of opportunities to progress and so turned to crime.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
meegat39 wrote:

I think Servalan only says she is a "superior grade" citizen, though I'm sure no one would disagree that Alphas are superior (just ask any Alpha, they'll tell you!). I've also seen it argued that "superior" is a grade designation - Terran Alphas are higher than Alphas from colony worlds, hence Alpha Superior vs plain Alpha.

Joe Dredd
lemon wrote:

How specifically can be described classes of people in the series?
So Alpha highest privileged class, educated.
Beta ... a little blurry for me. They also educated and possibly may also have little privileges. If Blake is indeed referred to as the Alpha, then Jenna and Avon could be Beta in the end.
Then Gamma ... what a class it can be? Federation troops?
Delta - the lower class and Vila as example.

Only Alpha, Beta and Delta grades are mentioned in the show. Gamma gets implied because people see the grading as A, B, D and assume there must be an equivalent for C. It seems logical but you could equally argue that the three grades correspond to, say, upper, middle and working class without any need to expand it further. Of course there could be lots more grades (technical middle class, etc).

meegat39
Joe Dredd wrote:

meegat39 wrote:

I think Servalan only says she is a "superior grade" citizen, though I'm sure no one would disagree that Alphas are superior (just ask any Alpha, they'll tell you!). I've also seen it argued that "superior" is a grade designation - Terran Alphas are higher than Alphas from colony worlds, hence Alpha Superior vs plain Alpha.

True. I always took that to mean that she is an Alpha grade. I think my mind must have supplanted the word superior with the word Alpha!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
Is Coser the only person ever described as a Beta?

And which characters are actually described on-screen as Alphas and Deltas? Blake is an Alpha (from Shadow) and Vila is a Delta (again from Shadow).

Are we ever told that Jenna and Avon are Alphas, or is this just an assumption?

EDIT: Caught up with some of the other comments on this thread. Not convinced that superior = Alpha.

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Is Coser the only person ever described as a Beta?

And which characters are actually described on-screen as Alphas and Deltas? Blake is an Alpha (from Shadow) and Vila is a Delta (again from Shadow).

Are we ever told that Jenna and Avon are Alphas, or is this just an assumption?

EDIT: Caught up with some of the other comments on this thread. Not convinced that superior = Alpha.

Koser is, to my knowledge, the only person actually called a Beta in dialogue.

In The Keeper, Servalan refers to Jenna as "a superior grade citizen of the Federation." So I think it's safe to assume she is an Alpha. I can't see Servie calling a Beta 'superior.'

With Avon AND Blake it's an assumption. Neither are ever graded, but both act like Alphas.

blencathra
I thought Blake was definitely an Alpha. Or at least Vila thinks he's one. Like TT says - from Shadow...

CALLY: I think Blake can look after himself.
VILA: He's led a very sheltered life.
CALLY: What, Blake has led a sheltered life?
VILA: Look, he was an Alpha grade on Earth. A highly privileged group, the Alphas. Wouldn't last five minutes among the Delta service grades where I grew up. And it's the service grades where the Terra Nostra really operate. Without anesthetic, usually.

lemon
sweevo wrote:
What about class mobility? It would make sense if Vila bought his Delta classification, considering his supposed intellect (he may very well be a Beta or Alpha acting and posing as a Delta).

He did? Well, maybe he has bought! Just remember in Shadows, he said that he grew up in Delta, suggesting that he was born as Delta. Maybe he lying.
Servalan could buy Alpha class.
Lurena wrote:
lemon wrote:
What about Epsilon?

Emigrants perhaps?

Aliens, you mean? Then if Cally had moved to live on Earth, she could get this class.

I suggested that there may exist the five classes for graduation citizens and, respectively, between them should be the difference as the rights, as in behavior. Alpha and Beta are close how I see it. As Coser different from Blake, who belongs to the Alpha, for example?

GoldChannel
this is fascinating

when you hear mention in the eps it seems 'clear' that Alpha is obviously some sort of elite... but the mentions above make it far more curious and difficult to peg

Safe to assume Vila would always be at the bottom of the totem pole though!

Grade Four Ignorant
I think someone on here broke it down nicely into the allegory of a building site.

Alpha - Owner
Beta - Architect
Gamma - Draughtsman
Delta - Builder

There's room for progression within their own fields, but rare for them to change grades. For example, a Delta may be a worker but he could eventually work his way up to a senior Delta position like Yard Foreman.

Or even in a military structure...

Alpha - Supreme Commander
Beta - Space Commander
Gamma - Section Leader
Delta - Private

Which does go against my theory, I admit, of Travis being a Delta. He strikes me more as the sort of person who got through his career through pure skill rather than bootlicking.

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I think someone on here broke it down nicely into the allegory of a building site.

Alpha - Owner
Beta - Architect
Gamma - Draughtsman
Delta - Builder

Inspiring. Here's my take.

Alpha: Senior Project Engineer and / or Chief Architect
Beta: Department heads.
Gamma: Skilled labor, Electricians, Plumbers, Brick Layers, Welders
Delta: Unskilled labor.

Re Military: Initiative would be rewarded. A brave, skilled Delta might one day find himself promoted to section leader, a rank usually reserved for Gammas; a gifted Gamma might wind up a warrant officer, but no lower grade could ever hope to make officer, and no Beta could ever hope to make General.

dragonq
Yes, I agree with Brad's assessment. I've always assumed that it was

Alpha= professional classes (e.g. Blake)
Beta= technicians (Coser in Weapon)
Gamma=tradesmen, skilled labour (I've always mentally slotted Gan here though it's unspecified)
Delta=unskilled labour, general riffraff (Vila)
Epsilon=non citizen labour; possibly born into servitude, or perhaps people used as forced labour similar to concentration camps (Rashel in Weapon)

I also strongly suspect that there is another governing class, a sort of Double Alpha, for the real elite, members of the High Council and their families, the very top brass military and so on. There's no time these are explicitly referred to, but we do know that Blake is an Alpha, and he is clearly not at the top of the social tree. If it exists, I am sure that it would be next to impossible to penetrate this class from beneath.

As for social mobility between other classes, it clearly exists, but I would say it is uncommon or difficult. So much of this discussion seems to focus on Vila, who is so clearly more intelligent than his social background suggests. It's the fact that Vila is so intelligent that suggests to me that the grading system is more a social construct, than a meritocracy based on intelligence testing or examination. I can only assume Vila is a Delta because he had Delta Grade parents, and an intelligent child born into this background would have far fewer opportunities than one born into an Alpha or Beta family. He may have slipped through the net through indolence, deliberate choice, or family background. It's certainly hard to imagine him as ever caring whether or not he passed an exam, but the amount of technical knowledge he has accumulated without any formal education is clearly formidable.

Something else that should be considered is whether or not the military is outside this classification, or whether it is purely civilian. Am I right in thinking Tarrant was referred to as an Alpha at some point?

Grade Four Ignorant
The Federation tries to sell itself as a meritocratic society, but I get the feeling that what is preached is not practiced.

dragonq
I'm sure it's not. Probably the only quality that "merits" advancement is utter ruthlessness.

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

The Federation tries to sell itself as a meritocratic society, but I get the feeling that what is preached is not practiced.

Indeed, as set up in TWB, the Federation is very Orwellian, striving hard for the outward appearance of benevolence while ruthlessly controlling everything behind the scenes, even; as we find out in Shadow, crime.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.42 seconds
9,914,796 unique visits since 8th January 2014