Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 1
Travisina

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
July Fanfic Challenge
Joe Dredd
Great stuff, Brad!

JustBrad wrote:

“All right, let’s see what I can do on my own. This is a space port. There must be someone here who needs something smuggled in or out.”

There is, her name is Jenna, and she needs to smuggle herself out of the spaceport.

Spaceship Dispatcher
We return this month to Avon and Vila's adventures, trapped in your television set but worryingly not in Blake's 7..! As usual, apologies to anyone that doesn't know the two shows referenced...

“Nobody says that about the Lone Centurion’s wife and survives!” said the plastic man standing before Avon and Vila in the tent; it wore the uniform of a Roman legionary, and blocked the only way out.
“There’s nothing wrong with gingers really!” Vila blurted; “my wife is ginger too! Well, she might be if I was married, which I’m not… but if I was then she might be ginger! They’re alright really… most of the time!”
“Look out Vila!” said Avon, pulling his comrade back as part of the plastic soldier’s hand fell away to reveal the barrel of a gun projecting from the wrist.
“Give me the box” the soldier ordered: “put it on the table, just there…”
“Why?” Avon asked simply as he reluctantly placed the Pan-Genre Transition Machine on a small wooden table.
“Because it will transport you away from here and out of my sight” said the soldier; “but without possession of it you will be stranded in your next destination forever!”
“No!” shouted Avon as the soldier’s other hand, the one that wasn’t really a gun, reached for the big red button.
“I just hope it’s somewhere nice…” said Vila; “plenty of wine, nice girls…”

As the soldier slammed the button down, Avon and Vila vanished. The box remained on the table.

Raksha carefully swept the soil away with a paintbrush, revealing the shard of broken clay just a fraction at a time. The shadows were growing longer as the afternoon gave way to early evening, her knees aching from crouching down in the shallow trench dug into the otherwise grassy green meadow. Next to her, two friends were excitedly burrowing away at the foundations of a stone wall. Beneath the wall was a cavity, and the work to uncover that lay within was intense. But right now Raksha’s world was just a tiny square of earth as the pot emerged into daylight for the first time in almost two thousand years. It was nearly complete, despite being broken apart, and she dreamed as she worked of finding something inside to trump the feverish excitement about the hidden space under the wall.

“Get out of the way…” growled a voice from above, and Raksha looked around to see two strangers standing a short distance away; one dressed in grey, the other dressed in black and holding what looked like a gun!
“Guys…” Raksha called to the other diggers; “you need to step out of the way, guys…”

With a strange sound, the gun in the man’s hand glowed white. Both wall and pot exploded in a huge shower of earth and rock.

“Vila, get the machine” said the man with the gun, and the other man promptly dived into the newly enlarged hole. He came up bearing a metal casket with a button on top, passing the box the man in black. Holstering the gun, he pressed the button and both men vanished in a small puff of smoke.

Raksha looked from the ruined ruins to where another more familiar figure was bounding and across walls and waving manically at a television camera; she could just hear what he was saying…

“Well, we always try and bring you something a little different! This morning we knew we had a Roman army camp located here just a couple of miles from Stonehenge, and as the day progressed we felt sure we had the Praetorium which was the house of the base commander. We had exciting pottery finds and a hidden vault, or at least we did before two spacemen beamed down and blew the whole lot up before beaming straight back up again! That’s never happened before! Anyway, we’re off to the pub so come back after the break to find out what happens on day three!”
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
I am thoroughly enjoying all these contributions.
So diverse, so funny and all so cleverly written.
I can understand Dr Who turning up!!! but to get Time Team in there as well? Brilliant!!
What on Earth would Phil Harding have to say about such an event??
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

An introduction to the world of…
SOOLIN’S 5

“Once upon a time, there were four people and a computer…”

Brilliant! I love Soolin's 5! More please, lots more! Happy

The dialogue, especially Soolin herself, is spot on and I could really hear the cast reading it. Personally, I do enjoy crossover fanfic that mixes different RL eras that would have been physically impossible; so a Blake's 7 series D (or is it series E...) and RTD era nu-Who story is very interesting.

“Relax Vila, as long as you follow the plan to the letter, it will go smoothly. Now go and wake up Grant and Soolin, and tell them we’re nearly there.”

Hello! That's a delightfully ambiguous line! Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

In the end, the organic will had learned to accept the implacable logic of the machine and shuffled its desire for autonomy into an infinite loop, where it could cycle harmlessly...

Loved your background to the Liberator's past, Annie! The central premise really caught my imagination and attention, and I wonder what Isaac Asimov would have made of the idea?

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Hugbot - more jokes about Jenna's domestic chores and Avon's teddy - like it Grin

@ Paula - a Grant story that contradicts Big Finish! *only joking, you're far more important than Big Finish Grin

Anniew
Paula - lovely Jenna story. I really can't see her self-destructing. This is much more satisfying.

SD - I loved this! So funny and you have Tony Robinson spot on! Next! ( as Avon would say)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Haha, SD, very good Grin

Talking of Tony Robinson, will Avon & Vila bump into Blackadder, Baldrick and Percy at any point? Grin

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

Talking of Tony Robinson, will Avon & Vila bump into Blackadder, Baldrick and Percy at any point? Grin

Vila did, in a story in Horizon 15:
THE DARK SEGMENT by David E. Willard - Vila meets Blackadder! (Not to mention Baldrick, Percy, Flashheart ...)

I wish my zines weren't buried so deep in boxes in the garage Sad
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
@Brad - great story, but worryingly similar to the idea I'd been working on! Great minds think alike, eh? Transatlantic telepathy is quite impressive.

But now Travisina slinks back to the drawing board with note to self: write faster!

@ SD - latest instalment of your epic was as entertaining as ever! Thanks for cheering up a hard-working Wednesday.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
“Relax Vila, as long as you follow the plan to the letter, it will go smoothly. Now go and wake up Grant and Soolin, and tell them we’re nearly there.”

Hello! That's a delightfully ambiguous line! Grin

I thought I'd do a little subtle 'shipping and see if anyone noticed. Wink

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

@Brad - great story, but worryingly similar to the idea I'd been working on!

Post it anyway. I'm always interested in different takes on a given scenario.

JustBrad
Independence: Part 2
Continued from Part 1 at the bottom of page two on this thread.

Two Years Later

Avalon’s eyes widened as she opened the case. “These plasma weapons will make a real difference, but I can’t afford them.”

The blonde replied, “Give the Federation hell, that’s payment enough, and your spare guns are needed on a frontier world. Don’t worry, I’ll turn a profit.”

Avalon bore a wide grin. “Thank you, Jenna. Or should I call you Hanna?”

“Jenna among friends.” Her eyes darted to an unkempt man with sandy hair.

Avalon gestured to the man. “This is Devon, my liaison with other rebel camps. Devon, this is Jenna Stannis.”

The man offered a respectful nod. “An honor. I look forward to the trip with you, Jenna.”

He bent low and grunted as he lifted a steel crate to the table. “All I have to offer in trade are old fashioned slug throwers. When do we leave?”

Jenna picked up a carbine, pulled the magazine, and inspected the rifle. “As soon as the guns are loaded. These old weapons can still make a difference on a frontier world. Don’t apologize.”

Jenna watched Avalon’s men load the crates on her shuttle. It didn’t take long. Some of the larger lads carried two at once. Devon walked up to her, favoring one leg slightly. “Are we ready to go?”

Later

With only one hand on the controls, Jenna flew the shuttle into the hangar bay of a sleek planet hopper.

Devon smirked. “I guess you are turning a profit after all.”

Jenna leveled her gaze at the man. “Who are we to meet?”

Devon shrugged. “Even I don't know. It's almost like we're being tested.”

Jenna disembarked the shuttle and hurried down the corridor. Without breaking stride, she pointed to a cabin door. “There’s your berth. Stay in it while we’re in orbit, lest my security protocols mistake you for an intruder.”

Devon bore an odd smirk. “I’m beginning to think you don’t trust me.”

Jenna did not stop. “I dislike taking strangers on board, even with good recommendation.”

Jenna marched to the flight deck, set the coordinates, and engaged the main drive.

Later

The computer intoned. “Orbit achieved 200 spacials above requested coordinates.”

“What?” Jenna marched to the hangar and opened the shuttle's cargo hold. She unstrapped a crate and effortlessly carried it into the light. It contained only one plasma grenade, attached to a small timer.

“You had to be nosy, didn't you?” Devon was pointing a gun at her.

Jenna spoke in monotone. “Stand down.”

Devon smiled. “I'm afraid not. You see, I’m…”

Jenna interrupted, “You're Dev Tarrant. Blake described you well enough, right down to the smirk and the limp.”

Dev gestured to the gangway. “Get in the shuttle. Fly us to our rendezvous and keep your mouth shut Remember, I have the gun.”

Jenna tilted her head. “When I said 'Stand Down,' I was talking to my security program. I want him alive. Stun.”

Dev Tarrant woke with a ringing headache, his hands manacled to the pilot's chair. He blinked to clear his vision. “Why didn't you kill me?”

Jenna stood at the nav com. “If those gunships hovering in the ionosphere don't get a life reading, they'll ignore the shuttle and send a cruiser after me.”

Dev Tarrant tugged at his chains. “You're going to crash me into the planet?”

Jenna finished setting the automatics. The low hum of revving engines vibrated the shuttle. She moved to the gangplank. “With a hold full of plasma grenades and a squadron of trigger happy gunships, I doubt you'll make it to the ground. Dying in a shuttle; a sort of transporter accident. Karma is a bitch.”

Jenna marched to the flight deck. She watched her shuttle explode in a bright orange fireball. She stared out the view port to the planet below. A shiver went down her spine, as if the planet were calling to her. “Whoever is down there will have to wait. I have no guns to deliver, and Avalon must be warned that she had a spy in her inner circle.”

An electronic voice intoned, “Information. Sensors detect a planetary cruiser closing.”

Jenna turned to her computer relay. “That's our cue. Get us out of here. Time Distort 40.”

Edited by JustBrad on 08 July 2015 17:07:59

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

Travisina wrote:

@Brad - great story, but worryingly similar to the idea I'd been working on!

Post it anyway. I'm always interested in different takes on a given scenario.

I will.
I've been mulling it over, and although mine has the same starting point, it's now spun off in a slightly different direction. It's still in very rough note form, and will take a few more days to write. But it's interesting - when I saw the word 'Independence' my first thought was 'Jenna' - I should have guessed that you would have a similar reaction!

EDIT: I've just read part two of your story. Excellent, Brad - good stuff!

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

@ Paula - a Grant story that contradicts Big Finish! *only joking, you're far more important than Big Finish Grin

He likes me, he really likes me! Thanks, SD. Much appreciated!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Anniew
Brad my post seems to have disappeared but that's a great Jenna story which I initially attributed to Paula. " A shiver went down her spine as if the planet was calling to her' is a wonderful line.

Hugbot
@SD: I’m afraid I am one of those who don’t know the TV shows in question (I didn’t even spot Sir Tony!), but the newest installment of your never ending story was nonetheless very entertaining. Especially the „ruined ruins“ made me chuckle.
@Brad: Great story - still short, but showing the vast canvas of a real epic that could easily fill a two-hour movie. Good to see all the little connections to other episodes. And I always knew that Jenna would be far better off without Blake!
@Paula: A funny Soolin story and an interesting insight into Del Grant - which leads to an interesting comparison. I never really understood the guys who are obsessed with revenge (usually quoting the French/Italian/Klingon/whatever saying that revenge is a ‘meal best served cold’). As you correctly observed, they are living in the past and are not free to move on. Thus Soolin’s revenge on TT means that her mind is not free of him, but that her thoughts are still circling around him. So there may still be some hope for TT ... Pfft

Mistletoe12
Okay, this is the edited version of the story I posted earlier today! Intended as a fun story, apologies to anyone it offended! That wasn't the intention.

Thanks to Travisina for being brilliant as always, especially on a trying day with the tube strike. I'm sure editing out innuendo is the last thing you wanted the moment you stepped through the front door. I'm pleased it made you laugh though!

And to Annie and Hugbot, thankyou, I really appreciated your messages! Grin

SINGLES

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Jenna tentatively rolled the balls in her hand, “Won’t Blake wonder where we are?”

“We’ll be back before he notices,” Avon said, smoothing out a crease in his cotton shorts.

“Isn’t there anywhere on the ship? What about the observation deck, couldn’t we play in there?”

“Its best in broad daylight,” Avon explained. “Come on, let’s get started. And remember my instructions, hit as hard as you like, I promise I can take it.” He inwardly groaned as she took his advice to heart. Jenna was a quick study – she knew exactly how to match him stroke for stroke.

Avon wiped the sweat from his brow, reaching out to gulp his drink. Stamina was starting to become a problem. “What did I tell you?” his commanding voice boomed at her, “firmly grasp it in your hand.”

Jenna gritted her teeth, adjusted her stance and attempted to study Avon’s body language – he wasn’t easy to read. He took her completely by surprise, opting to go down the middle, hitting his target with impressive accuracy.

“You’re VERY good,” she said, “You hit the perfect spot.”

“I practice,” he replied, hastily responding to a deft movement from his opponent. Avon thought about all the advice, coaching … help he’d received to improve his performance.

Jenna immediately reacted to his distraction, finding a rhythm she hadn’t known existed. It felt like a beautifully choreographed ballet complete with sweating and grunting and applause from the audience.

Avon cried out in victory and Jenna sunk to her knees; she couldn’t fault his moves, he’d finished in style, leaving her weak and exhausted.

“Are you all right?” Avon asked, closing the gap with a broad smile plastered across his flushed features.

“I came this close to winning,” she said, rising slowly to her feet as her racquet slipped from her tight grasp.

“Did you have fun?”

“Oh, yes, you were absolutely right; tennis is a great way to work out all those frustrations.” Jenna moved forward to shake his outstretched hand, “I’m glad they still play competitive sports on the independent colonies. We should definitely do this again.”

HAPPY WIMBLEDON 2015

Edited by Mistletoe12 on 09 July 2015 22:18:52

Anniew
Mmmm Avon in tennis whites. And shorts. Perspiring. That was a nice little break from housework. Thank you.

littlesue
Anniew wrote:

Mmmm Avon in tennis whites. And shorts. Perspiring. That was a nice little break from housework. Thank you.

You should have read the original post!!! I did, at work while having a cuppa...................................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
9,100,423 unique visits since 8th January 2014