Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 1
Child Of Auron

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
July Fanfic Challenge
Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

littlesue wrote:

@TT
That fits in so well with Travisina's Dorian/Soolin story.

It guess it does, but it's a coincidence, I thought of my story several weeks ago.

And my story only pinged into my head on Sunday!

Well, great minds think telepathically - what with Brad and me having the same idea for the word prompt, and my Soolin story dove-tailing into yours (which is excellent, btw), there seems to be a whole lotta thought transference going on...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Well, I've shuddered with Avon's Teddy that unwittingly is about to bring about his demise, I've sympathised with Soolin as she hears her parents murdered, I've looked with her in her mirror and seen the death of her innocence and I've grown cold reading a most excellent poem by PC . Great stuff. This is such a fascinating thread and I love the way we inspire each other. Here's my take on Travisina's story.

When Zen died, the room gave a seismic shudder and his creature moaned and whimpered for hours. He'd suspected a link between them. Although the mining operations had been been closed down by the time he reached Xenon, there was evidence that substantial quantities of the bluey green mineral that still coated the walls of the room had been extracted and removed. He had intended to capture the Liberator and to investigate Zen further- it was the only way to test out his theory that it was this mineral that had led to the successful development of the DSVs occasionally spotted in this quadrant of the Galaxy. But Blake and his crew had beaten him to it. By the time he'd managed to track Liberator down again, through Slave's monitoring of Orac, it seemed to have been disabled and to be drifting and Zen was no more, although he still hoped that something of the great ship would be salvageable. If he could find it and retrieve Orac as well, he might finally succeed in creating a working teleport and begin his researches into the feasibility of human/computer hybrid propulsion systems.

A fierce headache reminded him of his priorities, although the need for sex and violence were equally compelling motivations. He revisited a usual haunt on Karniac, a nearby planet, sleazy enough to be inviting and corrupt enough to offer opportunities to satisfy his more extreme appetites through the liberal greasing of a few, very dirty palms and no questions asked. It had not been enough. Un-satiated, he had sought out the most dangerous bar and hotel on the planet and set himself the challenge of raping and then murdering three prostitutes without being detected by their insane and violent protectors. In reality he knew he risked nothing, that he could not be killed while his monster lived but he could beguile a few hours pitting his wits against the worst on this most depraved of planets and then he would snatch a suitable candidate for the room and enjoy further pleasant hours listening to their screams, pleas and curses as they were absorbed by his creature, extending its existence.

He'd noticed her on the way to the accommodation he had booked, beautiful yet glacial, inviting attention through her stillness and lack of interest. She was still there, sitting upright and patient on a bar stool when he slipped quietly out of his suite, heavy with the satisfaction of having inflicted extreme pain on victims powerless to cry out yet still aware of every cut he inflicted, every degrading act he subjected them to. He was freshly bathed and free of the stink of his actions and he wondered how he could meet her, how persuade her to return with him without drawing suspicion to himself when his murders were discovered

As if she had heard his thoughts, fluid and unhurried, she stood up and her eyes met and engaged briefly, not with him but with an older, filthy ruffian of a man, sitting at a table with a group of others. He identified them as off-duty protectors hired by local mining corporations to ride shot-gun on their shipments. Dangerous, experienced and pitiless men. In that second of contact she had raked the ruffian with her gaze and then dismissed him with a contemptuous quirk of her perfect mouth. She swayed deliciously as she made for the door, her tight fitting jump suit leaving little to the imagination of the watchers observing her lasciviously. With an oath and to the derisive calls of his companions, the ruffian rose and followed her. Dorian smiled and unobserved, left the building via an open window. He would climb to one of the walkways that crisscrossed the area and watch her. If she survived the next few minutes, she would be a worthy candidate for his room.

And she was impressive. The speed and coolness with which she despatched the man intoxicated him. He had to have her. He would enjoy her for a week and then he would introduce her to his monster alter- ego and her slow death would give him life.

He was not sorry when Slave's reports back on base caused him to change his plans. Avon and his crew were trapped on Terminal, a gestalt bound by pain and danger. He knew without Slave's prompting that they would last so much longer than an individual if he could take them alive, especially as one of them was a telepath. He would keep Soolin in reserve, either to use as food for his room at a later date, or, if anything of Zen survived, to help him create an analogue propulsion system with Soolin's brain at its centre. Incorporated into Scorpio, such a system would sustain his life force for months at a time and enable him to travel beyond the narrow confines of the quadrant.

Soolin heard his chuckle and wondered what was pleasing him so much. She never guessed that he was enchanted at the irony that, by enslaving her, he would achieve a wider freedom. That she might become his independent, on-board monster, cleansing him of corruption while he travelled freely. Despite the experiences that had honed her wariness and suspicion, she was still young enough to be fooled by impeccable manners and a handsome face.

Xenon was the nearest thing to a home she had known since leaving Gauda Prime and it never crossed her mind that it might also become her tomb.
Edited by Anniew on 30 July 2015 22:12:16
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
@Anniew, TT - between us, we seem to have created a complete trilogy of Soolin and Dorian's back stories!
Nicely done, Anniew Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ purplecleric - great poem! Was it intentionally written in the style of Betjeman? Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Ellen York
Some great last minute additions. Ted is just too cute; I wonder if Jenna figured out who was behind the course change. Travsina and TT showcase Soolin's killer instincts and PC provides insight into her softer side. And Annie proves that Dorian is not someone I want to meet in a dark alley (eek!).

Thanks to all for the positive comments on my story. These characters have been living in my head since I was a kid. I'm glad to know that my version of them rings true with other fans.

trevor travis
It’s interesting looking at the hints given at Soolin’s background:

From “Rescue”:

DORIAN She could do it too. Soolin was taught by the best.
SOOLIN The second best actually.
DORIAN (laughs) Oh, of course you killed him didn't you? He was one of the men responsible for the death of her family. She killed all the others too. She's a formidable enemy.

From “Warlord”:

ZEEONA You know what fathers are like with their daughters.
SOOLIN As it happens, I don't. Mine was murdered when I was eight.
ZEEONA I'm sorry.
SOOLIN So were the men who did it, eventually.

From “Blake”:

AVON I imagine that is what the locals call Gauda Prime, [to Soolin] your home planet.
SOOLIN I grew up there, yes. But for a home you need a family and mine were murdered when the Federation declared Gauda Prime an Open Planet.
AVON A general suspension of the penal code.
SOOLIN That's right.
DAYNA You mean there's no law at all?
SOOLIN It's the fast way to get resources exploited, in this case mineral resources.
DAYNA I don't understand.
VILA Neither do I. How does junking the law speed up mining?
SOOLIN G-P was an agricultural world. The settlers were sent there to grow crops, raise timber. They were farmers, my family among them. They were given title to the land.
AVON And then somebody discovered there was more profit under the ground than there was on top of it, only the farmers were in the way, and the law was on their side. Hence the Open Planet designation.
TARRANT What, get rid of the law you get rid of the problem? [To Avon] You seem to know a lot about it.
AVON Orac is an excellent research tool. Do you imagine I would take us in blind?
TARRANT You've done it before.
DAYNA What happened to your family?
SOOLIN When the mining corporations moved in, the farmers moved out. Those that didn't were murdered.
VILA And it wasn't even a crime.
SOOLIN Oh yes, it was a crime all right. It just wasn't illegal.
VILA That's what I meant.
SOOLIN I hope so.

It all adds up to one traumatic and messed up childhood. Family murdered at the age of eight (I took this to be her parents, but imagine if she had brothers and sisters killed as well?), and then taught how to handle a gun by one of the men who murdered her family. So she grew up alongside her family’s murderers (!!), until she was old enough to take revenge. She had her childhood ripped away from her at the age of 8.

I love the killer final line of PC’s fanfic: that somewhere inside, the 8-year-old girl is still there. Somewhere inside Soolin, there must be so much sadness, and PC captures this perfectly with such a poignant final line. Soolin, like Avon, seems to suppress her emotions. I wonder if she will ever snap in the same way that Avon does?
Edited by trevor travis on 31 July 2015 11:07:56

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

@Anniew, TT - between us, we seem to have created a complete trilogy of Soolin and Dorian's back stories!

Yes, they dovetail extremely well, and then there's PC's story as the perfect postscript - hinting at Soolin's inner scars....

purplecleric
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

@ purplecleric - great poem! Was it intentionally written in the style of Betjeman? Happy

Not consciously, SD - but what a wonderful compliment.

I love the more traditional or classical types of poetry; the stylized imagery, the rhythm, the tight rules and structure and I love the way they just have to be read out loud. To me, they are songs, the words making music.

Spaceship Dispatcher
purplecleric wrote:

I love the more traditional or classical types of poetry; the stylized imagery, the rhythm, the tight rules and structure and I love the way they just have to be read out loud. To me, they are songs, the words making music.

Same here; 'modern poetry' does very little for me.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

purplecleric
Travisina wrote:

I agree - great job Anniew, your Dorian's one scary dude!

Travisina wrote:

... between us, we seem to have created a complete trilogy of Soolin and Dorian's back stories!

But I disagree with the word 'complete' - we've shone a torch into some dark corners but the buildings remain unlit, as does the landscape. It seems to me that the closer we examine the details, the more questions arise about the B7 'verse - the big picture stuff of its society, politics, ethics - and the individuals within. It's why, after 30 years and thousands of stories, we are still writing more.

However it's interesting to note, while some fics/prompts send our minds spinning off in a multitude of directions, Soolin seems to have drawn us together. Happy accident or are we developing a hive mind?

trevor travis wrote:

I love the killer final line of PC’s fanfic: that somewhere inside, the 8-year-old girl is still there. Somewhere inside Soolin, there must be so much sadness, and PC captures this perfectly with such a poignant final line. Soolin, like Avon, seems to suppress her emotions. I wonder if she will ever snap in the same way that Avon does?

Thank you, TT.

I love the concept of the 'Inner Child' and how it can inform a character. Vila seems very in touch with his and while he still can get hurt, he is far more emotionally resilient. Gan's inner child seems to have grown up with him - making a 'whole' adult. In others there seems to be a schism that breaks off the inner child from the adult - either by interference with the mind like Blake - or by the need to survive in Soolin and, to a lesser extent, in Avon resulting in individuals that resort to dysfunctional coping mechanisms like over-idealism or emotional isolation. When these fail, that's when things get really interesting...

If the tragic events of Blake had not occurred, would Avon's spiraling decline have precipitated something similar in Soolin? She doesn't stay with the Scorpio crew for the money. She seems to gravitate towards strong, intelligent 'alpha males' perhaps as a father-substitute to replace the one she lost and therefore an attempt to reconnect with her inner child?

Blimey, that's all a bit deep for a Friday afternoon. Forgive me, I seem to be in a philosophical mood...

Anniew
I agree PC. There's the whole question of how and why Dorian became creepy, his background, what he was doing on Xenon, what his relationship with his partner was. what happened to Soolin after her parents were killed - how she survived-why she decided to track down her family's killers, how she learned to become a good shot . Did she have surviving siblings. There's also the strand I touched on in my fic - who was mining on Xenon and what for? I postulated that the System had been mining there having found a use for the mineral deposits to create semi sentient computers like Zen. There's also how the hommicks got their technology and how the sexes war started. Then there's the whole question of character reactions/feelings. Did Soolin love Dorian and Avon? Had she been conditioned by abuse to seek abusive relationships with Alpha Males? Or did she have her own plans when she joined the Scorpio crew? I reckon I'll be writing those stories until I die. And that's not even touching on all the AU versions we could create between us! Ant wait to read them either.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
As it's now officially 1st August everywhere in the world, I'm locking this thread.

In due course the stories will be assembled into a collection in Horizon's fanfic section. Thanks again to everybody for your contributions, and most especially to Purplecleric for organising these challenges!

See you on the August thread...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,170,906 unique visits since 8th January 2014