Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: Wooks63

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Who was on the Liberator before Blake's Crew?
dragonq
This is a question which has been in my mind for a little while now, and I thought that I would throw it open for discussion.

When Blake, Jenna and Avon arrive on the Liberator, they find that the ship is deserted, and that life capsules have been launched. Furthermore, the ship has been damaged in a space battle and left to drift. What I would really like to know is, who were the people who were on the ship before our heroes? Who filled the strongroom with money and jewels, and who put together a collection of extremely horrible clothes for Blake and his companions to outfit themselves in when they arrived?

When I first saw Redemption, I thought that we were finally going to get an answer to this question, but while the System undoubtedly built Liberator, I found and find it very hard to believe that those robotic ladies we met in season 2 were the people who went around collecting the money and bad fashion. This leads me to wonder if Blake and company were not the first people to seize/steal the ship.

Was it, for example, taken from the System by some runaway slaves (similar to the ones seen in Redemption), or was it being used by space pirates or smugglers? Was the space battle witnessed from the London an earlier attempt by the System to get back their property? Could there even had been some strange cyclical time bubble whereby the space battle was the one we saw at the end of Star One, and the unknown crew that had deserted the Liberator was actually that of Blake and company?

All theories welcome!

Travisina
dragonq wrote:
Could there even had been some strange cyclical time bubble whereby the space battle was the one we saw at the end of Star One, and the unknown crew that had deserted the Liberator was actually that of Blake and company?

I love that theory, dragonq! If B7 did timey-wimey stories, that would be the one Smile

Hubby has come up with another theory: he reckons that the System were the ones who kitted out the Liberator with its clothes and treasure - the ship was a Deep Space Vehicle, designed for exploration, and therefore needed stuff to exchange / barter / sell to the civilisations it might encounter.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

dragonq
Yes, I was quite pleased with that time bubble idea, myself!

Do you know, I really can't picture the System wearing Jenna's patchwork blouse. I think that blouse was what started me thinking along these lines in the first instance. It is truly foul, even by the standards of the time, as are the boots she wears with it. If I had been with them, before we even thought of going to Cygnus Alpha to rescue Gan and Vila, I would demand that we take a detour to a space shopping complex for some decent clothes.

It's also curious that the clothes are in so many different sizes.

Travisina
dragonq wrote:

It's also curious that the clothes are in so many different sizes.

That supports Hubby's idea that the clothes weren't for themselves (the System) to wear, but for trade / sale with other humanoids. Also the fact that all the clothes were new and clean - there was no indication that anyone had worn them before.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

dragonq
You mean, along the lines of "Here primitive, let me buy your treasure by trading the gold and jewels for this patchwork shirt and alfoil shirt?

Seems a pretty lousy deal to me. I think I favour the idea of the System having had the ship stolen off them by another band of patchwork shirt wearing criminals. Or of course, Blake and company in an alternative time line.

JustBrad
Of course it was system personnel, which is strange, because they aren't all that 'conceptually alien.'

I've always had this minor rewrite in my head where Liberator was an Andromedan ship capable of intergalactic travel (remember how shockingly fast it went in Cygnus Alpha, and how we never used that feature again?

In this rewrite in my head, when Liberator plugs the gap in the Star One minefield, it isn't facing off against hair dryers and waffle irons, but against a long line of sister ships.

This of course, requires The System to be a front for an Andromedan outpost in our own galaxy.

Anniew
I think the clothes and jewels are attributable to Zen. He reads each crew member and creates food/clothing/things they feel they need. ( like the replicators in Star Trek) The treasure room is attributable to Jenna's and Avon's acquisitive natures. If the crew had been Andromendon then the rooms would have contained different stuff. zen is programmed to meet the needs of the System crew and that gets transferred to Blake's lot when they take over. Goodness knows what it would have created in response to 'reading' Servalan and her mutoids.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

rojkerr1
got the impression it was crewed by Altas from the system, maybe on some kind of trading mission, with all the money and goods on board. as the ship has been in a battle but is apparently undamaged, maybe the automatic defence system malfunctioned or threatened to malfunction, driving the crew off the ship, maybe ZEN engineered it cos he fancied a holiday and a more interesting existence. There are lots of unexplored threads in season one, Aquitar, Zens inhibited programming etc, the telepathic link with Jenna

Hugbot
There are two rivalling theories in my head:

a. The ship was on an official System mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and civilisation etc., and the jewels in the strongroom were to be used for barter with the inhabitants of newly discovered worlds. Then the ship was attacked by yet another alien fleet.
b. The ship's crew consisted of rebels (slaves?) that had grabbed all the values that they could get their hands on and fled from Space World. Eventually, they were tracked down by the System.

What happened then? The attackers hacked into Zen so that he activated the anti-intruder device. The crew fled. Problem was that the attackers lost control over Zen and could not board the ship either. When Blake, Jenna and Avon got an board, Zen was already cleansing his corrupted command files, but was nonetheless a little confused so that he simply accepted Blake and his gang as his new masters. ("Wisdom must be gathered, it cannot be given"? That statement is a bit too philosophical to apply it to such a mundane thing as the operations manual of a teleport system, isn't it? I bet that the respective file had been infected and erased!)

As for the costumes that look rather un-Systemy, there is a wonderful explanation in Lurena's and Little Sue's story The Lady in Red (scroll down to post #35).

BradPaula
I think it was a System ship piloted by System personnel. They came upon some other fleet and after a battle abandoned ship. Seeing the System people makes one wonder whey they had the strong room and costume room. Could they have stocked the ship so if they had to infiltrate another culture, they would have ready money and clothing to bluff their way through whatever they had on their minds? It seems the strong room and costume room were plot devices to made it easier on Terry Nation and the others which followed him. Especially the costume room or else the crew would never be able to change their original costumes and would probably end up eventually running around in their knickers. Perish the thought!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Joe Dredd
I've always wondered who the System were fighting when the London detects them in Spacefall. I've always imagined it as the Epinaarl, but as a quick theory let's assume it was the Andromedans.

The System could have already plundered another Andomedan ship (or ships) in previous encounters. Those Andromedans were an advance wave of infiltrators and they had gathered a variety of clothes and currencies/negotiable gems & ore in order to use in their intended shapeshifted roles on Federation (and other!) worlds. The System took the clothes and things away intending to analyse them back on Space World (clues to intended infiltrations), or perhaps just took them to deny them to any potential Andromedan recovery team combing over destroyed hairdryer class cruisers.

Before they get the things back to Space World, or the chance to destroy them, DSV2 is caught up in another battle and is severely damaged (like in Aftermath) and the crew have to abandon ship (ditto). Enter our heroes....

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

I think the clothes and jewels are attributable to Zen. He reads each crew member and creates food/clothing/things they feel they need. ( like the replicators in Star Trek) The treasure room is attributable to Jenna's and Avon's acquisitive natures. If the crew had been Andromendon then the rooms would have contained different stuff. zen is programmed to meet the needs of the System crew and that gets transferred to Blake's lot when they take over. Goodness knows what it would have created in response to 'reading' Servalan and her mutoids.

Interesting theory. In which case, if Servalan took over the Liberator, they'd be a dungeon on it somewhere Wink

Joe Dredd
That must be why she didn't notice the slime in Terminal!

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

Ah, that’s the fault of the (unseen on screen) Terminal shopping centre. There’s a nice hairdressers for Avon to have a perm between Terminal and Rescue (although they refuse to serve Links), and also a hardcore leather shop, so that Avon can change his gear between these two episodes. But sadly not a Specsavers for Servalan, otherwise she’d be able to spot the slime.

Joe Dredd
Servalan has spex but she's too vain to wear them.

Anniew
ROFL gentemen!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

dragonq
I like the idea of the Liberator having been in a battle with Andromedans. I think, the one thing we can discount is that Liberator and whoever was on it were in a battle against the Federation; it definitely seems to have been two alien fleets.

Stepping outside the story for a moment, I must say that I have always found the System underwhelming and unimaginatively realised. I suppose I can accept that they did build Liberator, but there's always been a niggling sense that there must have been more to Liberator's story before our heroes salvaged her.

Maybe Zen was a rebel too, and deliberately ran away from the Altas. Couldn't blame him if he did.

sooper mouse
Anniew wrote:

this actually makes sense and explains Avon's outfits.
it does however manage to confuse things- does this mean Avon ordered the thigh highs?
Edited by sooper mouse on 19 November 2016 20:55:33
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

sooper mouse
trevor travis wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Ah, that’s the fault of the (unseen on screen) Terminal shopping centre. There’s a nice hairdressers for Avon to have a perm between Terminal and Rescue (although they refuse to serve Links), and also a hardcore leather shop, so that Avon can change his gear between these two episodes. But sadly not a Specsavers for Servalan, otherwise she’d be able to spot the slime.

and a very nicely equipped boots store ( leather trousers look bad with shoes). The lobster outfit comes with red boots Smile
I have concluded that Jenna is Blake-aware, Blake is Avon-aware, Avon is self-aware and Gan is rarely aware. Vila is merely wary. Cally is frequently more away than aware.

RiccledW
I thought it was the system who owned it as such,in my audio series based on the show and others my characters are In a parallel universe and have a pristine Liberator all to themselves which is rather good!
R.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.59 seconds
9,449,006 unique visits since 8th January 2014