Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Smallspace 12 July 2015, Hanslope
Anniew
Significant other maybe?

And Sue, I had no idea of your pm dramas with the deluge. I can picture you all hanging onto that gazebo like ship wrecked Mariners. I also didn't know that small space is Matt Berry's creation. Brilliantly informative article.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
Travisina - re-reading the article ' Daughter No 2's partner' should replace 'Sue's son in law' ( if you get my drift - sounds a bit eliminatory as written ( exterminate son in law , exterminate...exterminate..)

Travisina
I had changed it to 'Significant Other' as that was the term used by Sue, but have now changed it to 'partner'.

Hubby and I were together for 12 years before we got around to tying the knot, and it was so nice to be able to say 'my husband', because 'partner' sounds like you're in business or playing Bridge, 'Significant Other' takes too long to say, and 'boyfriend' sounds silly once you're over a certain age!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
Oh bum! Now fretting that I should have used Sue's term. What a mine field modern life is! Just helped celebrate ny cousin's fiftieth wedding anniversary. Most of the younger lot hadn't bothered with marriage - like my own boy-and it does seem an out dated institution - but I too loved it because I got to change my name and be a different, more stable person!!!

Ellen York
Getting a bit off topic here, but it was my grandfather that I had the terminology issue with. After my grandmother died, my grandfather lived with his new girlfriend, but they didn't get married. So she wasn't my grandmother, or my grandfather's wife and grandfather's long term live-in girlfriend just sounds odd. In my then teen-aged brain, grandparents weren't supposed to have live-in significant others. Sometimes life is complicated. Smile

littlesue
Ellen York wrote:

Getting a bit off topic here, but it was my grandfather that I had the terminology issue with. After my grandmother died, my grandfather lived with his new girlfriend, but they didn't get married. So she wasn't my grandmother, or my grandfather's wife and grandfather's long term live-in girlfriend just sounds odd. In my then teen-aged brain, grandparents weren't supposed to have live-in significant others. Sometimes life is complicated. Smile

As Daughter No's 1 and 2 will testify, they had the same thing with their Nanny Jean (my Mum). She and her partner lived together for 30 odd years...but they never called him Granddad!
I think they called him Uncle. My Grandson ended up calling him Mr Busy...because when he went to see him he tried to ask a question and Mr Wren, Mum's partner, replied, "I'm Busy...give me a few minutes'. And Grandson called him Mr Busy from then on in!!!!
For me, one of the most interesting things was when my dear Dad passed. As the funeral car pulled into the crematorium, I suddenly saw a tide of ladies. (Mum and dad had divorced ages ago). Dad had joined lonely hearts Clubs and had been a Gentleman Host on the Liners for quite a few years.
As I met all these ladies in the queue afterwards it was most interesting. I asked how each one of them knew my Dad and they nearly all replied 'You're Dad was a great dancer!!!'
Bless you Dad Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
littlesue wrote:

Ellen York wrote:

As Daughter No's 1 and 2 will testify, they had the same thing with their Nanny Jean (my Mum). She and her partner lived together for 30 odd years...but they never called him Granddad!
I think they called him Uncle. My Grandson ended up calling him Mr Busy...because when he went to see him he tried to ask a question and Mr Wren, Mum's partner, replied, "I'm Busy...give me a few minutes'. And Grandson called him Mr Busy from then on in!!!!
For me, one of the most interesting things was when my dear Dad passed. As the funeral car pulled into the crematorium, I suddenly saw a tide of ladies. (Mum and dad had divorced ages ago). Dad had joined lonely hearts Clubs and had been a Gentleman Host on the Liners for quite a few years.
As I met all these ladies in the queue afterwards it was most interesting. I asked how each one of them knew my Dad and they nearly all replied 'You're Dad was a great dancer!!!'
Bless you Dad Grin

What a lovely story Sue! I had the same issue with my grandmother. She divorced my grandad when my dad was 13 and met a man who she lived with as her husband (although they weren't married) until she died. She even took his name. We always called him Ernie, the difficulty came when describing who he was to people who didn't know or understand about their relationship. My nan's boyfriend just didn't sound right!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.28 seconds
9,144,057 unique visits since 8th January 2014