Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Red Dwarf
Tarrant On TV
Some interesting points made.
Indeed, as Trevor Travis says, Grant & Naylor had a tough time pitching the idea for Red Dwarf to the BBC largely because by this point, the BBC were fed up with making science fiction shows, not least because they always cost a lot of money, but end up looking cheap.
As such, the first season of Red Dwarf focuses a lot more on characters and comedy than it does on things which require expensive special effects (notably times have changed, as now, your average Youtuber could knock out those kind of effects).

Come the second season, with the BBC having a bit more confidence in the show, they were able to push out a bit and indulge in the science fiction half of the concept. For example, this was the season where we first saw a mini-ship in the form of Blue Midget.

We see this trend progress through seasons 3, 4, 5 and 6. Although these seasons are still comedy, they would work just as well as straight up science fiction without the focus being on the gags.

Indeed, Grant & Naylor had said that they had always wanted the science fiction aspect of the series to be serious, with the comedy itself coming from the characters.

Season 7 takes a hell of a lot of liberties in my opinion, moving us very far away from the original feel of the series. Starbug is suddenly huge. The timedrive can suddenly transport people through space. Getting back to Earth seemingly no longer matters. And of course, the whole nanobot-sock basket thing. Very much breaking the rule of the science fiction aspect of the show being serious.

Season 8 was surpsingly better. It's rare a show can recover from such a poor quality season as season 7 of Red Dwarf, but the reintroduction of a lot of the season 1 cast was a good idea. The original crew were always good characters in my opinion, although we mostly only saw them in flashbacks. Bringing the oldstyle sets back was also good for the same reason.
I quite enjoyed this hybridity of the old and new.
That said, it still wasn't brilliant, and the ending seemed very sloppy. It was supposed to be a cliffhanger, but it really didn't have me on the edge of my seat as much as shrugging indifferently.

'Back To Earth'? By this point, I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm left for this franchise. The cliffhanger of season 8 hadn't really left me in suspense and the amount of time we'd had to wait had rather just made my indifference grow.
That said, I watched. After all, this had been one of my favourite shows as a teen. I felt almost duty bound to.
It had its moments. A couple of good gags here and there, but overall, pretty lack-lustre.

Season 10? Yeah, by this point they just aren't even trying any more. It's just a case of squeezing whatever comedy they can out of the idea. The actors are very much showing their age and it's pretty clear Red Dwarf is a series that should have been wrapped up a long time ago.

I will watch season 9, but not with high expectations.

The disappointment for me is that, in my youthful naivity, I had once genuinely thought that Red Dwarf might go on to be one of those really great series with a really great finale, but it just wasn't to be. There were so many potentially brilliant storylines set up in the show. Lister giving birth to twins; the mission to get back to Earth; Lister's love for Kochanski etc. etc. etc. but none of it ever went anywhere.

Alas. There's always the books.

Gauda Cheese
Season 10? Yeah, by this point they just aren't even trying any more. It's just a case of squeezing whatever comedy they can out of the idea. The actors are very much showing their age and it's pretty clear Red Dwarf is a series that should have been wrapped up a long time ago.

As I get older (okay I'm only 32) I like that these space bums are older too. Also does it really matter how old they are if the stories are good? And to me the stories were great! Series X harkens back to the series III to V days. Space bums having adventures some episodes or just chilling out on the Dwarf in others. I loved it.

Tarrant On TV
Gauda Cheese wrote:

As I get older (okay I'm only 32) I like that these space bums are older too. Also does it really matter how old they are if the stories are good? And to me the stories were great! Series X harkens back to the series III to V days. Space bums having adventures some episodes or just chilling out on the Dwarf in others. I loved it.

The problem is, while the actors have aged, the characters haven't.
I'm sure Lister was described as being 25 in the first season, but only 27 in the seventh season.

Gauda Cheese
Tarrant On TV wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I'm sure Lister was described as being 25 in the first season, but only 27 in the seventh season.

Oh lordy I can't argue with that, but then again RD has never cared too much about its own continuity so it's not that big a deal. Lister has had his appendix out twice after all.

Joe Dredd
I see the new Red Dwarf AA advert is out: Smart Rescue

Joe Dredd
Dave (the channel) have posted the first five minutes of the new Red dwarf on Twitter: Red Dwarf: The Promised Land

sweevo
As much as I like Red Dwarf, I'm starting to have doubts (I've had them for a few years, actually). There are at least four (4) factors which made me doubt my love for RD.

1. The show has been on a steady decline since the cliffhanger ending to Season 6 (which, in my opinion, should have been the ultimate finale la B7)

2. The departure of Rob Grant greatly affected the quality of the jokes and, to a lesser extent, the performances of the actors (Doug Naylor, in my opinion, needs someone to help him out or rein him in)

3. The overreliance on making the show an action-comedy (a combination of genres which I have never, ever liked) instead of a sitcom with some philosophical undertones (presumably in an attempt to make it appealing to modern and/or American audiences)

4. The reluctance of DN to write an actual finale, which could affect the legacy of the show as a whole

Will The Promised Land be any good? I don't know.
Edited by sweevo on 05 April 2020 18:10:46

rojkerr1
was the new one any good, not seen yet, taped it

Gauda Cheese
I thought the Promised Lad was lots of fun

briggsy1
Anybody else seen Red Dwarf:The First 3,000,000 years three-part documentary on Dave? A fantastic re-evaluation of the series featuring all the main cast and lots of clips. I couldn't help but see a few parallels with B7 too: Craig Charles propensity for breaking props being one of them! RD is possibly my fave sci-fi comedy of all time. It's a toss up with HHGTTG, but RD has the benefit of more longevity.

BradPaula
I haven't seen the RD docu but would love to.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Grade Four Ignorant
Tarrant On TV wrote:

Lister first mentions being twenty-five in Future Echoes and he describes his increase in maturity "since turning twenty-eight" in Tikka to Ride.

The timeline is a little rough at times, but it does stay sort of consistent. Rimmer mentions being in effective command of Red Dwarf for nearly four years in Holoship, and by the time of Cassandra, Lister has been surviving in space for "five, six years".

We also know from Better Than Life that Earth has adopted at least one new month - Geldof - to the calendar, so we can't take for granted the crew measure years in the same way that we do.

So the first eight or so seasons take place over about six years, not counting the 200 year gap whilst the crew were in deep sleep between Back to Reality and Psirens.

Grade Four Ignorant
Gauda Cheese wrote:
Oh lordy I can't argue with that, but then again RD has never cared too much about its own continuity so it's not that big a deal. Lister has had his appendix out twice after all.

If it helps, I've always rationalised it as his appendix was restored to him in D.N.A., when Kryten turned him back into a Human, as the appendix would still have been in his genetic makeup.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
28,914,297 unique visits since 8th January 2014