Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [40 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 187
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Red Dwarf
Hugbot
I fear RD is much more popular than B7. There are so many people running around with Hollister t-shirts!

BradPaula
Hugbot wrote:

I fear RD is much more popular than B7. There are so many people running around with Hollister t-shirts!

And now you know why I am so militant at Doctor Who conventions only wearing my Blake's 7 gear and teleport bracelet. (Yes, I just read the sentence again and wanted to amend it to say I'm also fully dressed- for all you wags out there who would jump on the statement and tease me!) But if you do not stand up for your own beloved fandom, what will you stand up for? That's my reason for living- to introduce more people to the delights of Blake's 7. I've been in fandom for over 30 years and in B7 fandom coming up on 30 years come September, so it's become a way of life. Always be a Rebel!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

rojkerr1
I wear my Blakes 7 t shirts with pride! Jenna, Vila, and the Logo -People recognise my Captain scarlet ones more tho, bcos of the remake series

Trooper Parr
Red Dwarf 3 is my fave series. Backwards, Marooned, Polymorph,Timeslides and Bodyswap are great.

I think the series started to go down hill after Red Dwarf 5 with 7 being the worst although I did quite like series 8.

I thought the last series was pretty poor and I've recently heard they have the go ahead for two new series to made in the next couple of years.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Tried to watch the show once, but the three episodes on that evening didn't really work for me.

trevor travis
SD, it's possible you saw some of the latter episodes, after Rob Grant left the writing team. I don't mind the Doug Naylor solo-penned episodes, but there is something missing...

Paula and myself will have to make sure you watch the right episodes to get you into it... basically get the Season Two DVD and watch that Wink

BradPaula
TT, I think we are more similar as regards to Red Dwarf. We seem to like silly things, although things which are generally well acted and written whilst SD, he seems to like the more practical things like costume dramas, historical dramas and the like. But a few later RD episodes would probably be in store to show SD what he is presumably missing.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

...We seem to like silly things, although things which are generally well acted and written whilst SD, he seems to like the more practical things like costume dramas, historical dramas and the like....

You probably have a point there, Paula; many of the other sitcoms I like are quite structured and played as drama but with a satirical twist - Yes Minister, Twenty Twelve, You Rang M'Lord etc.

The episodes of Red Dwarf that I have seen are 4, 5 and 6 of series ten.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

TT, I think we are more similar as regards to Red Dwarf. We seem to like silly things, although things which are generally well acted and written whilst SD, he seems to like the more practical things like costume dramas, historical dramas and the like. But a few later RD episodes would probably be in store to show SD what he is presumably missing.

But Red Dwarf becomes more slapstick as it goes along. I enjoyed Season 10, but effectively it's just a sitcom.

On the other hand, the writing in some of the early episodes is extremely clever. For example, the two 'timey-wimey' episodes (Thanks For The Memory and Statis Leak) we watched last week. I think it's these that SD might enjoy. Or maybe Season 5, because some of those have a real sci-fi hook as well, while being a strong season.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
You probably have a point there, Paula; many of the other sitcoms I like are quite structured and played as drama but with a satirical twist - Yes Minister, Twenty Twelve, You Rang M'Lord etc.

Ah, those episodes are passable, but not classic Dwarf by a long chalk.

I'm tempted to say you should try Season Two (1988) or Season Five (1992), but can't decide which. Season Two is hilariously funny and also very, very clever with 'timey wimey' plots way before Doctor Who had them, while Season Five is more settled, and more science-fiction and less comedy (although some episodes, e.g. Quarantine, are still played for laughs). Which sounds more you?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Season 5 sounds like it might be a good jumping on point, and then look at the timey wimey ones after that. Scenerios that I can still connect with while making me smile at the same time work for me better than the "look at me, aren't I funny?!" sketch routines of, for example, Rik Mayall as Flasheart in Blackadder - as much as I liked Rik, that particular routine has me reaching for the fast forward control. So if there's a more concept/plot based season with less slapstick then that would probably be my best 'way in' season.

trevor travis

Season 5 sounds like it might be a good jumping on point, and then look at the timey wimey ones after that. Scenerios that I can still connect with while making me smile at the same time work for me better than the "look at me, aren't I funny?!" sketch routines of, for example, Rik Mayall as Flasheart in Blackadder - as much as I liked Rik, that particular routine has me reaching for the fast forward control. So if there's a more concept/plot based season with less slapstick then that would probably be my best 'way in' season.

Season 5 might be the right place, then. The season opener, Holoship, is very much a sci-fi story with a few laughs thrown in along the way.

BradPaula
SD, I can understand your feelings with regards to Rik Mayall and Flasheart, and I know that some will either love or hate his antics, but for me, I absolutely loved the man and especially Flasheart is close to my heart. In Blackadder Goes Forth, in the episode Private Plane, the poor man never worked harder and I never laughed harder. It may not have been your cup of tea, but I cherished him and his characters. Same thing with Red Dwarf. I think TT has suggested the correct series to watch. Perhaps these tamer ones will be more to your liking?

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

Ah, those episodes are passable, but not classic Dwarf by a long chalk.

I'm tempted to say you should try Season Two (1988) or Season Five (1992), but can't decide which. Season Two is hilariously funny and also very, very clever with 'timey wimey' plots way before Doctor Who had them, while Season Five is more settled, and more science-fiction and less comedy (although some episodes, e.g. Quarantine, are still played for laughs). Which sounds more you?

Really? I find Demons and Angels & the Inquisitor to be absolutely hilarious and played for laughs!

Gauda Cheese
Anyone seen the doco for series X? It's amazing and brutally honest, Dear Dave had a lot of problems which makes me enjoy the final product so much more.

As for episode 6 of series X I loved it! But then again I am biased and love Rimmer heavy episodes! The Beginning is one of my faves.

Recently rewatched series VII and what was missing (for me) wasn't Rob, but Chris Barrie! it is my least fave season, but now I'm halfway through my series VIII rewatch and I really enjoy this season. I am often surprised at the backlash it gets.

Fave series VII episode is Tikka To Ride. Fave series VIII episode is Pete parts one and two.

As for series X I think it stands up decently with the classic stuff.

Gauda Cheese
BradPaula wrote:

SD, I can understand your feelings with regards to Rik Mayall and Flasheart, and I know that some will either love or hate his antics, but for me, I absolutely loved the man and especially Flasheart is close to my heart. In Blackadder Goes Forth, in the episode Private Plane, the poor man never worked harder and I never laughed harder. It may not have been your cup of tea, but I cherished him and his characters. Same thing with Red Dwarf. I think TT has suggested the correct series to watch. Perhaps these tamer ones will be more to your liking?

Huge Rik fan myself, first thing I ever saw him in was the New Statesman as a teenager then loved discovering the Young Ones, Filthy Rich and Catflap and best of all, Bottom!

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

But Red Dwarf becomes more slapstick as it goes along. I enjoyed Season 10, but effectively it's just a sitcom.

On the other hand, the writing in some of the early episodes is extremely clever. For example, the two 'timey-wimey' episodes (Thanks For The Memory and Statis Leak) we watched last week. I think it's these that SD might enjoy. Or maybe Season 5, because some of those have a real sci-fi hook as well, while being a strong season.

Um I'd say it was always a sitcom.

trevor travis
Gauda Cheese wrote:
Um I'd say it was always a sitcom.

GC, I think there are several shifts. The first season is largely comedy, because that’s what Grant & Naylor pitched to get the commission, and they had people overseeing them, reminding them all the time it was supposed to be a comedy. But then arguably the best episode of Season One is “Future Echoes”, the most complicated sci-fi plot of that season, and that led to Grant & Naylor starting to push in another direction, and their bosses, releasing they were onto a good thing, allowing them to do so. Season Two is still hilariously funny (with the brilliant deadpan Norman Lovett as my star of the show), while employing clever ‘timey wimey’ plots more-and-more.

By the third season, I think of the programme as a comedy sci-fi, rather than the sci-fi comedy it started its life as; the emphasis has changed. It’s not that simple, of course, and there are episode-to-episode variations, but the programme did gradually become more formulaic. And so did the characters. Rimmer, who has started off as a complicated, sympathetic character, instead becomes a figure of fun. And Lister becomes less space bum and more of a standard hero. The fifth season is brilliant sci-fi, while still providing plenty of laughs, but it’s quite different from Seasons 1 & 2, in particular Season 1. Like all good programmes, it has evolved.

The sci-fi had now taken over to the point that Season Six was given a season arc. Most jokes were now written to a formula, with one joke about the Space Corps Directives per episode, one joke about the Cat’s nasal prowess, etc, per episode. And it led to Rob Grant wanting out.

After he leaves, the next season (Season Seven) is even more sci-fi, any any laughs have become slapstick instead of intelligent humour. Season Eight sees Doug Naylor wanting to go back to how things had been, and there’s something of a reset, and a more back towards more comedy, with the reintroduction of the studio audience missing for Season Seven. Although the laughs are still a bit weak at times; I get the impression that the departed Rob Grant was the better gag writer.

Back To Earth was a bad idea (although I have slightly mellowed towards it; I no longer hate it with quite the same passion), and then with Season Ten, there is a realisation that Dave cannot provide the same budget as BBC2, and effectively turn the thing into a sitcom-in-space (personally I don’t RD had ever been this before).

A lot of Red Dwarf is very good, but I do consider Season 1 through to Season 5 to be its stronger era, and in particular, I love the second season to bits.
Edited by trevor travis on 02 July 2015 14:40:20

Travisina
What Trev said.
And Season 2 is my favourite, too.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Gauda Cheese
I'll reply to that mega post when it's not 2 am, but as to the laughs being weak in series VIII I'm not sure i agree. Sure not every joke hits, but its this season that gets the most claps and some very consistent laughs. Thats one reason that the series flack surprises me

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.74 seconds
28,774,757 unique visits since 8th January 2014