Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Red Dwarf
Gauda Cheese
There has to be a few of you Dwarfers here right?

I got into it the same way I got into B7, my local video store had the first 4 series on VHS. It was after B7 and we wanted a new show to watch, though neither of us knew it was a comedy until we put it on! We've both been lifelong fans ever since.

My favourite two series are the first two, theres just something I love about the depressing loneliness of it. I like it all really including the often slammed series 8. I was actually shocked that series 8 was considered so bad.

Anyway! What are your fave episodes? Whats your fave series? First one to say Back to Reality gets a massive eye rolling from me Oops

Hugbot
Do you mean the series 5 episode Back to Reality or the mini series Back to Earth?
Anyway, I am sorry to have to inform you that both belong to my favourites.

RD is one of several series that I first heard of here on Horizon (like Survivors, Sapphire & Steel and I, Claudius). The first episodes were quite nice, but nothing special for me. It got more interesting with Confidence + Paranoia, and Better Than LIfe was the episode when I got finally hooked. Series 7 + 8 are the least interesting for me, although there are some cracking episodes even in 8 (Cassandra and Krytie TV). And I love series X. Lemons might even be my all-time favourite episode.

I hope I haven't generated too much eye rolling now ...

Gauda Cheese
Hugbot wrote:

Do you mean the series 5 episode Back to Reality or the mini series Back to Earth?
Anyway, I am sorry to have to inform you that both belong to my favourites.

RD is one of several series that I first heard of here on Horizon (like Survivors, Sapphire & Steel and I, Claudius). The first episodes were quite nice, but nothing special for me. It got more interesting with Confidence + Paranoia, and Better Than LIfe was the episode when I got finally hooked. Series 7 + 8 are the least interesting for me, although there are some cracking episodes even in 8 (Cassandra and Krytie TV). And I love series X. Lemons might even be my all-time favourite episode.

I hope I haven't generated too much eye rolling now ...

Not at all! Back to Reality (series V) just seems to be the standard answer though. I will admit I'm in the minority with my love of the first two series, but I know those 12 episodes like the back of my hand at this point.

I loved series X! Though for me my favourite episode of the bunch was The Beginning.

My all time favourite is hard to say. I recently said Confidence and Paranoia was my fave series I episode, but I think I may change it to Future Echoes. For the first two series my faves change allll the time, but from series III to X I think my favourite episode might be.... hmmm this is hard.... Demons & Angels

Lastly my favourite character is Rimmer. Rimmer to rhyme with scum.

Travisina
I watched it from the first episode, which I wasn't sure about at the time - I found the snarking between Rimmer & Lister annoying rather than amusing. But I liked the SF concepts and the whole set up, stuck with it and enjoyed it more as it went along, especially once Kryten joined the crew.

My fave series are the early ones. Fave episode is probably 'Thanks for the Memory', fave characters are Cat and Holly (both Hollies). And Ace Rimmer as guest character.

There's rewatch value (and memorable moments, and quotable lines) in all the series, but I got a bit fed up when it just became 'let's be horrible to Rimmer' week after week, and they had lost the Red Dwarf and were stuck on Starbug for what felt like an eternity.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

rojkerr1
the early ones are the best, like the team of Lister Rimmer Cat and Kryten best, psirens very good, like marooned too

Gauda Cheese
Travisina wrote:

I watched it from the first episode, which I wasn't sure about at the time - I found the snarking between Rimmer & Lister annoying rather than amusing. But I liked the SF concepts and the whole set up, stuck with it and enjoyed it more as it went along, especially once Kryten joined the crew.

My fave series are the early ones. Fave episode is probably 'Thanks for the Memory', fave characters are Cat and Holly (both Hollies). And Ace Rimmer as guest character.

There's rewatch value (and memorable moments, and quotable lines) in all the series, but I got a bit fed up when it just became 'let's be horrible to Rimmer' week after week, and they had lost the Red Dwarf and were stuck on Starbug for what felt like an eternity.

To be fair to Rimmer (and he is my favourite character) he deserves it Oops

Tarrant On TV
I enjoy the first six seasons, but it all goes a bit pants after that in my opinion.
Season 8 is better than season 7, but that's really not saying a lot.

As for Back To Earth and season 10, sadly I also found them to be pants.

Even with the first six seasons there's continuity errors abound, but they're still good.

I would highly recommend the Red Dwarf books to anyone who hasn't read them as they deliver the concept just a little bit better in my opinion.

Gauda Cheese
Tarrant On TV wrote:

I enjoy the first six seasons, but it all goes a bit pants after that in my opinion.
Season 8 is better than season 7, but that's really not saying a lot.

As for Back To Earth and season 10, sadly I also found them to be pants.

Even with the first six seasons there's continuity errors abound, but they're still good.

I would highly recommend the Red Dwarf books to anyone who hasn't read them as they deliver the concept just a little bit better in my opinion.

The co-written books are amazing, Backwards is fun, but a little dark. The Last Human doesn't hold up as well.

You didn't like series X? Awwwww I thought it was a happy return to the good old days.

BradPaula
I actually really started to love Red Dwarf after the first series, as I think Robert Llewellyn as Kryten added so much more to the series as a whole than the actor who played Kryten before him. I think series 2-5 are the best and one of my favorites was Polymorth, and forgive me, but the episode where Kryten becomes human- which was amazingly funny. What a 'double poloroid' moment you could say. Love the series and the books and hope they keep kicking them out, as the last one wasn't too bad considering quite some time has passed since the gang did the series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
A random and personal observation - the first series was made in Manchester, while I was living in Manchester. Later series were made at Shepperton Studios, while I was working at Shepperton Studios, so you could say that it followed me around! My allotted car park space at the studios was right next to those of Grant Naylor, and walking past their workshops I could see a whole row of Kryten heads on a shelf by the window!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

trevor travis
I'm also a big fan of the earlier series.

There's a rewatch coming tomorrow at 8pm. The two episodes I'm considering are Thanks For The Memory and Statis Leak, the two Timey Wimey entries from Season 2. Is this OK for everyone?

BradPaula
Sounds great!

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

There's a rewatch coming tomorrow at 8pm. The two episodes I'm considering are Thanks For The Memory and Statis Leak, the two Timey Wimey entries from Season 2. Is this OK for everyone?

What's 8pm in Australian time?

BradPaula
Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I believe it's 5am Thursday morning to you. Grin

Gauda Cheese
BradPaula wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I believe it's 5am Thursday morning to you. Grin

I love you guys, but not that muchOops

Hugbot
Tarrant On TV wrote:

Sometimes I think the lack of continuity (*) is the only continuous aspect of the series. In other shows this would drive me up the wall, but in RD, it seems to be some sort of trademark element.

(*) Crew complement, religion of Rimmer's parents, Lister having his appendix out twice, ...

Coser
Fave episode, probably "Kryten". "In the middle of Marlon Brando's rebel speach, he gets out his 'Brush-a-matic' and starts doing me lapels!" and that picture of Rimmer in his white suit at the end.
"Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…then all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." Commander sinclair, Babylon 5.

Gauda Cheese
Coser wrote:

Fave episode, probably "Kryten". "In the middle of Marlon Brando's rebel speach, he gets out his 'Brush-a-matic' and starts doing me lapels!" and that picture of Rimmer in his white suit at the end.

"These bend!"

BradPaula
I've always loved the song they did- Tongue-tied. Very good and shows off Danny John- Jules' dancing talents.

Magic Toenail
back in 89 our local PBS station showed the first two seasons in a one night marathon. I didn't like the first few minutes of "The End" and I almost turned it off, man I'm glad I didn't!!!! I became hooked with Holly's "They're dead Dave" routine. Only recently though I got the boxed set when it was 30 dollars off on Amazon.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
28,914,354 unique visits since 8th January 2014