Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 3
meegat39, Joe Dredd, trevor travis

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Firefly and Serenity/Blake's Seven comparison
Tyce
Has there been any discussion in the past comparing Firefly and Serenity to Blake's Seven? If not just wondering what people thoughts are on this. I found Firefly and Serenity to almost be a 'rip-off' of Blake's Seven. This is not an insult to Firefly and Serenity BTW - quite the opposite actually I felt very much like they were a 'contemporary Blake's Seven' and therefore totally loved them.

JustBrad
I didn't really see it. Like Tikabuzz I saw parallels between a John Ford Western and Firefly. I saw many more parallels between Farscape and B7 than I did with Firefly.

President Solvite
I think the Alliance in Firefly was more of a benevolant agency than the Federation was..

Really enjoyed the series, cancelled before its time!

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
JustBrad
President Solvite wrote:

I think the Alliance in Firefly was more of a benevolant agency than the Federation was..

Indeed, the Alliance seemed to be a stuffy, self important bureaucracy, where The Federation was downright Evil.

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:
...where The Federation was downright Evil.

According to limited, and mostly biased, sources of information and opinion. All large empires have evil people who do bad things, and trample over people who live away from the political centre. That doesn't in itself make the empire evil though imo.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
tikabuzz wrote:

Reading this now I immediately think of the Federation in Star Trek and how very different it is to the Blake's 7 one...

imo the Federation in ST is more evil than the one in Blake's 7 because they still steam-roller over the universe in a very similar way (notice how nobody dares argue with Spacefleet except 'villains' to be destroyed) but do it under the flag of peace and prosperity - but at phaser point...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

JustBrad
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

Reading this now I immediately think of the Federation in Star Trek and how very different it is to the Blake's 7 one...

imo the Federation in ST is more evil than the one in Blake's 7 because they still steam-roller over the universe in a very similar way (notice how nobody dares argue with Spacefleet except 'villains' to be destroyed) but do it under the flag of peace and prosperity - but at phaser point...

I see what you did there, but unless you're a Klingon, I think you left off the smiley.
Before the fun starts, let me point out that this is neither a Star Trek Thread, nor The Duel Thread.
I like this, though, sounds like fun. Care to copy your post to Duel?

Who is the real Villain?

JustBrad
The conversation is fine in the right context, and a universal issue. I just don't want to hijack Tyce's thread.

Back to Firefly:

Alliance Captain: You were on the wrong side.
Captain Mal: It was the losing side, I've never seen any evidence that it was the wrong side.

Travisina
tikabuzz wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

I did think something very similar after posting this. Who are the villains and who are the heroes its very much a point of perception. For not leaving the universe be Captain Kirk could be considered as evil as Servalan. I'm pretty sure there's a fanfic there to be written.

I read an excellent fan fic years ago - a Trek/B7 crossover, in which the Liberator picks up a dying Romulan who's in possession of some artefact (can't remember what) and he tells Blake: "The Federation mustn't get hold of this!" and Blake promises that he will keep it safe from them... I wish I could remember now what the story was called and who wrote it!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Supreme Commander
I'm a *massive* Firefly/Serenity fan and I do see many parallels between Firefly & Blake's 7.

The Alliance may not be as bad as the B7 Federation but there's a lot of bad stuff there, particularly thinking about River and what has happened to her. And why.

Then there's the dysfunctional crew in that they are all very different, with different backgrounds, and different agendas. Particularly thinking of Jayne here. And yet they do work exceptionally well together for the most part, and the characters grow along with the series, as do the crew in B7. And there's the humour, some great acting. Jayne is neither Vila nor Avon, but a very interesting combination of the two. I see similarities between Zoe and Jenna. River and Cally. Blake and Mal (though Mal is funnier - sorry Gareth!) Love it.

Supreme Commander
Travisina wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

I did think something very similar after posting this. Who are the villains and who are the heroes its very much a point of perception. For not leaving the universe be Captain Kirk could be considered as evil as Servalan. I'm pretty sure there's a fanfic there to be written.

I read an excellent fan fic years ago - a Trek/B7 crossover, in which the Liberator picks up a dying Romulan who's in possession of some artefact (can't remember what) and he tells Blake: "The Federation mustn't get hold of this!" and Blake promises that he will keep it safe from them... I wish I could remember now what the story was called and who wrote it!

You are thinking of Horizon's very own 'Strangers Among Us' (original copies still available for sale for anyone interested).

STRANGERS AMONG US (orig. 1979, professional reprint 1986) 76 pages - A5
The Romulan clutched Blake’s arm. ‘You must take the Commander and the device to safety. They must not fall into the grasp of the Federation. You must swear this!‘I’ll take care of them,’ Blake promised.

In this B7/Star Trek crossover, a Romulan ship and the Enterprise shuttle are thrown through a space warp into the B7 universe, where they find a Federation very different from the one they know. Featuring Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura and 1st series Liberator crew.

Authors: Pat Thomas & Anne Harding
Cover Artwork: Kay Wallace & Heather Lulham
Interior Artwork: Tim Pieraccini
PRICE: £2.50. plus postage & packing £1.50 (UK) (need to check current overseas prices).

I've always enjoyed a good crossover story if I like both the series they are being written about. This was a great story, as is the follow up 'Seas of God' by Sharon Eckman, a brilliant single-story Blake’s 7/Star Trek: Deep Space 9 crossover, set in each universe’s 3rd season in the 3rd edition of 'The Web' series of fan fiction, also published by Horizon (and also still available)

I'd dearly love to see a really good Firefly/Blake's 7 crossover. Such possibilities! Has anyone heard of one?

JustBrad
Dysfunctional with an attitude.

The girl is a witch.
Yeah, but she's our witch (cocks gun) so cut her down.

Travisina
Supreme Commander wrote:

Travisina wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

tikabuzz wrote:

You are thinking of Horizon's very own 'Strangers Among Us' (original copies still available for sale for anyone interested).

STRANGERS AMONG US (orig. 1979, professional reprint 1986) 76 pages - A5
The Romulan clutched Blake’s arm. ‘You must take the Commander and the device to safety. They must not fall into the grasp of the Federation. You must swear this!‘I’ll take care of them,’ Blake promised.

Yes - that's the one! It's decades since I read it, but I do remember being very impressed!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Ellen York
I watched Firefly for the first time last spring, in parallel with watching B7 for the first time as an adult. I found the two shows to have a similar feel. A group of diverse and very human characters on the wrong side of a powerful government; very little black and white, but many shades of grey. And it is the grey that makes things interesting.

Birdie
S4 moreso, with its mercenary slant. Gold is very Firefly (or the other way round) and there are definite echoes of Scorpio in Serenity. I think Mal would outdraw Soolin in a heartbeat...

Thematically I would agree that Farscape has more parallels. The character Graza appears also appears to be a 'ahem' tribute to Servalan.

Tyce
Interesting. I was actually wasn't thinking of the overall premise for the show more the characters, scripts and some episodes. For example: Mal and Jayne's relationship seemed to me to parallel Blake's and Avon's relationship; the episode Jaynestown made me think of 'Lord' Avon in Deliverance; even the 'western' theme in F & S, I know B7 was exactly big on this but Paul Darrow did try to bring it in a subtle way with his gun low on his hip etc.; lastly, the script excerpt like the one from The Train Job where Mal says "Nice Shot" and Jaynes reply is "I was aiming for his head"........

Joe Dredd
Tyce wrote:
even the 'western' theme in F & S, I know B7 was [not] exactly big on this but Paul Darrow did try to bring it in a subtle way

Like the 'subtle' way he looks like he's going to fan the hammer almost every time he has a gun? Even the Liberator guns?!? : D

Birdie
Darrow does make the comparison himself on the S4 extras.

Another big one, of course, is the Federation Pacification Program which is echoed pretty closely in the big reveal in the Serenity movie - The Pax Pacification drug on the planet Miranda has actually killed everyone by inducing such stupor that everyone starves to death.

Mal has some things in common with Avon - he loves ill-gotten wealth, prefers to keep out of the Alliance's way and wants nothing to do with River & Simon's Alliance trouble. On the other hand, he's idealistic and has a strong sense of right from wrong which leads him to be drawn back into conflict, so bit of Blake there too.

If you want the true prototype for the Serenity and its crew, you can find it in the crew of The Betty in Alien Resurrection, also penned by Joss Whedon.

Birdie
Farscape: Band of disparate criminals escape and capture a mysterious organic alien spacecraft to flee from the tyrannical PeaceKeepers, a galactic empire who rule the galaxy with an iron fist.

Joined by a charismatic leader, they begin to fight back against the oppressors. Crichton's arch-nemesis is a guy who dresses all in black leather, and has an osbessive vendetta against Chricton that eventually leads to his downfall with his own people.

The ship, Moya, is piloted by a creature that is an extension of the ship itself. The crew are bickering mix of characters including the uber-strong guy, the quiet philosophical chick, the cowardly and greedy comic-relief guy and the tough chick who's good with guns.

Despite their differences, they eventually pull together as friends and crew.

The PeaceKeeper's high commander is a ruthless woman called Graza who sports a crew-cut and exotic taste in frocks.

Well, hmm.

Biggest difference, is they eventually win Grin

Gauda Cheese
Birdie wrote:

Farscape: Band of disparate criminals escape and capture a mysterious organic alien spacecraft to flee from the tyrannical PeaceKeepers, a galactic empire who rule the galaxy with an iron fist.

Joined by a charismatic leader, they begin to fight back against the oppressors. Crichton's arch-nemesis is a guy who dresses all in black leather, and has an osbessive vendetta against Chricton that eventually leads to his downfall with his own people.

The ship, Moya, is piloted by a creature that is an extension of the ship itself. The crew are bickering mix of characters including the uber-strong guy, the quiet philosophical chick, the cowardly and greedy comic-relief guy and the tough chick who's good with guns.

Despite their differences, they eventually pull together as friends and crew.

The PeaceKeeper's high commander is a ruthless woman called Graza who sports a crew-cut and exotic taste in frocks.

Well, hmm.

Biggest difference, is they eventually win Grin

Haha. Funny thing is I like both B7 and Farscape.... but i can't remember the end of Farscape for the life of me. The big downer ending that is the Peckinpah Bloodbath is etched into my memory forever.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
9,898,597 unique visits since 8th January 2014