Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 16

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
June Fanfic Challenge
Anniew
Paula two great reads! Jenna and Del Grant make an excellent combination. I'm sure Big Finish intends to do a spin off with Grant. And Brad I ROFL'd at your menu item!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Lurena
Aww, very nice dark story TT! I like the fact that you say that Avon became thinking realistically again and then worked together with Travis.
I love your explanation of Travis still being alive, that was always my secret wish. Thank you!

@Brad 1.You put an image into my mind about the wedding cake with the new couple on top in Servalan -Travis design!
I have still a big smile on my face since I read your Blackadder II inspired short story!

@Hugbot , awesome story! I admire you for your skill of observation. What you write about Lauren suits the atmosphere in which she was set in the B7 episode; it makes her very believable in your story.

@Anniew, clever story! it makes chilling reading. Can't help over-empathize with Avon...

@Paula, Hurray! Jenna x Grant! I was waiting for that! Yes they are a good match.
Very enjoyable story, thank you.
And there is that second, the short story about Travis' grill party! Very funny and with two nice critical notes to the traits of Servalan and Blake.

@Brad, that menu made me roar with laughter!

@ all contributors: How I love to read the stories ! Please, never stop writing.
Sue and I have something in the pen for you too. But Sue is on holidays now and I was hospital in-and-out, so you have to wait for a little(sue) while. (Please forgive me that pun Sue)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
littlesue
I have just got back from my travels on the good ship Azura.
Very tired...
I shall have a good look next week to read all the stories so far......just need to get my land legs back!!!
And what is a 'Little' pun between friends???
Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
A NEW MAN

Travis raised his arm and rubbed his thumb against his forefinger. The green gem began to glow. This was it. The moment he’d been waiting for. To hell with Servalan’s orders – nothing could stop him now.

And then the green glow faded.

“Blast it”, exclaimed Travis, as he realised the batteries had run out yet again on his built-in Laseron Destroyer.

He looked up. The ornate procession had passed by. His chance for a small fortune had been and gone.

Someone must responsible for his latest failing. He sank to his knees, turned to the nearest brick wall and started to bang his head against it. “You’ll pay for this, Blake!”

The watching Mutoid shook her head in disbelief.

Travis slept uneasily that night in his special black Space Command pyjamas. He swung one way then the other in his bed. “Blake”, he cried out several times.

He had finally settled into a deep sleep, when suddenly there was a noise, and he re-awoke with a start. Was there a figure at the bottom of his bed?

“Blake? Is that you Blake?”

Travis brought up his gun arm. And then realised he’d forgotten to plug in the recharger before going to bed. “Drat”, he exclaimed.

Suddenly the figure spoke. “Space Commander Travis, you must present a case to justify your existence. If you fail, you will be deleted.”

Travis turned the light on. It was some sort of android. “What in the blazes are you?”

“I’m the Inquisitor”, the android replied, in what sounded like a Scottish accent. “It is time for you to be judged.”

Travis looked at the figure the Inquisitor had transformed into.

“My judge is myself?”

“It’s to ensure everyone gets a fair hearing”, came the reply in his own familiar tones. “Now justify your existence.”

“And what happens if I refuse to?”

“Simple: you get deleted from existence.”

“I exist to kill Roj Blake.”

“Oh come on man, you can do better than that. You could have been so much more than this. A killer, a murderer, is that all you are?”

“No, I’m an Federation officer. A good Federation officer. The force of law and order. And to ensure law and order, I must kill…”

“Roj Blake? Yes, I think we’ve established that already.”

“It’s all that matters.”

“And what if you kill Roj Blake? What then?”

Travis hesitated for a moment. “I move onto my next set of orders.”

“Orders? You’re a puppet. I know you, Travis. You’ve got brains. Brains you’ve never used. You could have been the Supreme Commander, not the lackey.”

“I refuse to answer any further questions”, stated Travis.

It was time for judgement to be passed.

The Inquisitor had morphed back into its robotic self. Travis had his Laseron Destroyer charged this time. He was ready.

“You have been found unworthy”, stated the Inquisitor. “Your life and all memory of you will be wiped from history. The void you occupied in the space-time continuum will be allocated to a person who was never given the gift of life. May they spend their time more wisely.”

The Inquisitor started to raise his arm. Travis replied in kind, but he couldn’t beat the Inquisitor’s android reflexes, and the Inquisitor fired first. An orange-red beam of light created an aura around Travis.

“You can’t delete me… I must first kill Roj Blake… I must…”

Travis faded from existence and a new man stood where he had been. He resembled Travis to a certain extent, although the eyepatch was slightly different and he was of a different build.

The new man was confused. “Who are you? And who am I?” He spoke with a cockney accent, as opposed to the old Travis’s suave tones.

“You are Space Commander Travis”, said the Inquisitor. “The man assigned to capture the terrorist known as Roj Blake.” With that the Inquisitor faded from view, his job done.

Travis was on his way to Star One on board the ship acquired from his Andromedan partners.

Tomorrow he would land. Within a week, the Federation would be in ruins. And he would have untold power. But first he needed a good night’s sleep.

Clutching his teddy bear close to him, Travis suddenly awoke. Was there a figure at the bottom of his bed?

“Space Commander Travis, you must present a case to justify your… oh bugger, I’ve done you already, haven’t I?”

The figure faded away, and Travis dismissed it as a dream and went back to sleep.
Edited by trevor travis on 18 June 2015 12:15:28

littlesue
@TT
Sooooo funny! I've just choked on me tea!Grin

Hugbot
littlesue wrote:

I've just choked on me tea!

Fortunately I hadn't tea while I read this ... wise decision! Grin Grin Grin I was roaring with laughter. Now at last we know what happened!

JustBrad
Blake awoke groggy, his mind in a fog, his vision blurred, his hearing muffled. He slowly pulled himself to his feet. He was in an old, abandoned building, a church. The floor of the nave was covered in dirt and littered with debris, the wooden pews having crumbled to dust and kindling ages hence. Vila, Avon, and Gan were rousing themselves around him. It was dark, he was tired, and yet his stomach was in knots, heralding an overwhelming sense of urgency. Memory came flooding back. “Sono gas.”

Vila’s brow was pursed in confusion, in other words he wore a normal expression. “But who threw it in?”

Blake spoke softly, as though he didn’t like what he was about to say. “ Veron, It had to be.”

Gan stood tall, his shoulders back, as if answering a personal challenge. “I don’t believe it. Why would she do that?”

Avon growled, “By all means, let us stand around and discuss it.”

Vila led the way up the stairs to the exit. “It’s barred.”

“Let me try.” Gan threw himself against the door. With a grunt he tried again. It took some time, but eventually the immoveable object gave way to the irresistible force.

Gan heaved a sigh. “Sorry it took so long, I’m a bit out of condition.”

With a sudden break in the clouds, a narrow beam of sunlight shone through a broken window high in the back wall of the old church. The light fell on the altar, illuminating the long forgotten nave.

Gan bore an open mouthed smile. “Now that’s a sight. Whatever god this temple is dedicated to, must be smiling on us.”

Avon didn’t look at the light. “There is nothing supernatural about it. It’s an ancient architectural feature designed to awe the superstitious. On the longest day of the year, the sun lines up with the window and the altar. It is a mildly impressive feat of astronomical engineering, nothing more.”

Gan met Avon’s disapproving gaze with wide eyed wonderment. “I still say it’s a good omen, light banishing the dark, there’s no better metaphor for our cause. Right, Blake?”

Blake looked to the broken rose window and shielded his eyes. “Gan’s right, even if you don’t believe in omens; it symbolizes what we’re fighting against. Come on, the Forbidden Zone and Control await.”

Avon paused at the top of the steps. He finally looked to the light, and spoke in a detached voice. “You know what I have always found ironic about the ancient peoples who celebrated the solstice?”

Avon may have been speaking to himself, or the light, but Vila answered, “Yeah, from here on out it just keeps getting darker and darker.”

Avon offered a thin smile. "Now that is a metaphor for our cause."
Edited by JustBrad on 18 June 2015 21:19:18

Ellen York
Very appropriate analogy, Brad Sad

BradPaula
Excellent TT! Excellent Brad! I'm loving these stories, all so personal, varied and fun to read!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
Brad, oh I like that! Nice metaphor of the Summer Solstice with Pressure Point, since it's downhill all the way from there for Blake. Poignant lines for Gan as well.

Even some of the Summer Solstice stories have slightly downbeat endings this month - I'm not sure if it's quite what PC was after, but hey it's B7 we're talking about here. Grin

Travisina
TT, your story made me laugh out loud, and Brad - yours made me quite emotional.
Both are excellent.

Must get on with mine - the idea has been percolating for about two weeks, but life's been so hectic I've not been able to do more than scrawl bits of it in a notebook during my commutes.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
The Longest Day

Dawn
She stands on tiptoe to kiss him. He holds her carefully, trying not to crease her white dress or disturb the flowers woven through her hair.

"You look lovely," he says. "I'm going to follow and spy on you - see what you women get up to on Midsummer Day."

"You'll be struck blind."

"It might be worth it."

"Then I'll follow you on Winter Solstice to see what you men get up to."

"You'll be turned to ice."

"It might be worth it."

They laugh; they have the same teasing exchange every solstice. It is as much a part of their rituals as her summer flowers and his winter furs.

She kisses him again, then puts her hand against his chest, gently pushing him away. "Later," she promises. "After sunset."

He lets her go, knowing that when she returns, her skin will smell of sunlit grass, and her lips will taste of wildcherry wine. He gives a mock sigh. "It's going to be a long day, Kaija."

"Of course, Olag," she smiles. "It's the longest day of the year."

She picks up her tambourine and gives it a brief shake; its yellow and white ribbons match the flowers in her hair. Then she dances out to join the procession of women winding their way up the daisy-covered hill. Olag watches until she is lost to sight, and he can only hear their singing.

Noon
The day is clear and hot; the sun stands still in the sky. Olag works his way along the border of his field, mending the wooden fence. When he pauses to rest, he can hear distant chanting and fancies he can pick out Kaija's voice among those of the other women. The music drifts down from the hillside, mingling with the quiet hum of insects.

Gradually he becomes aware of a different kind of hum; a deeper, angry sound. He looks up, puzzled. A dark, glittering cloud approaches rapidly, resolving into the shape of a black Federation flyer that circles the hill and disappears from view. Olag frowns. Surely it hasn't landed there? Visits and inspections were rare, and the Administration must know that today, of all days, the women perform rites that men are forbidden to see. The flyer's engines cut out, and there is silence. Olag listens, holding his breath, his fist clenched around the handle of his mallet. When he hears the silence turn to screams, he begins to run.

Sunset
He lies shackled to one of the flight couches. Strapped to the flight couch opposite him, covered with a regulation blanket, lies the body of the dead guard. Beside him rests the blood-stained mallet - the murder weapon that will be used as evidence in his trial. Three mutoids fix him with their impassive gaze, apparently indifferent to the injuries he had managed to inflict on them before he was overpowered.

Pain, grief and rage fight inside him for supremacy. Every part of his body hurts; his nerves are still on fire from the electroshock to which he finally succumbed. He closes his eyes, wishing that he had indeed been struck blind. Then he would have been spared the sight of Kaija's broken body, her dress torn and bloodstained, her flowers scattered. He wishes he could also have been struck deaf, and not heard the weeping of the other women and the guard saying casually, "Was she yours? She should have been more cooperative."

The flyer tilts, and Gan opens his eyes. Through the canopy he catches a glimpse of the red setting sun, staining the landscape with shades of blood. Then flyer leaps through the atmosphere into the darkness of space. The longest day was over, the long night was about to begin.

BradPaula
Oh, Travisina, wow! Such an emotive story of Gan. We had only heard tid-bits about how he ended up on the prison ship, but that story explains it beautifully. Loved it!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
Thanks, Paula!
It took me ages to write this ficlet, I was battling with all the RL work that had to take precedence. But at least I met my self-imposed deadline - tomorrow's actual solstice!

It's curious, though - I wonder why midsummer has inspired so many dark and downbeat stories? It's not what one would have predicted.

JustBrad
Travisina: i995.photobucket.com/albums/af77/BradPaula/smileys/smileys-applause-158849_zpsb4rabfiq.gif

Hugbot
Two new stories about the summer solstice, and both are dark, grim, and pessimistic. Welcome to Blake's 7! Pfft

@Brad: A great metaphor, and a precise characterisation of our heroes. I'm afraid I find myself siding with Avon in this. Blake's underpinning his political agenda with religious symbols and omens is so typical for his zeal! (And an accurate observation of real life.)

@Travisina: A gripping tale, told very intensely. It was worth waiting for it! At first (until you mentioned the name Olag) I was a little confused, as it did not seem to have anything to do with B7, but read more like a Tanith Lee novel. I never imagined Gan as a member of a rural pagan community, but it works very well. Thank you for giving us this colourful background and the added layers of depth to an underused character!

Ellen York
Travisina, very convincing backstory for Gan (I do have a soft spot for him).

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:
@Travisina:At first (until you mentioned the name Olag) I was a little confused, as it did not seem to have anything to do with B7, but read more like a Tanith Lee novel. I never imagined Gan as a member of a rural pagan community, but it works very well. Thank you for giving us this colourful background and the added layers of depth to an underused character!

Hugbot, I am flattered beyond words that you put my ficlet in the same sentence as Tanith Lee. I am not worthy! I wasn't intentionally channelling her - in fact, I'd started drafting the story before she died, and before I started re-reading her books - but maybe there was a bit of a subconscious influence? Thank you, anyway, for your kind comments Smile

@ Ellen - I find Gan interesting, because we know so little about him, and because he's different from the others - he has none of Blake's political zeal or Jenna and Avon's cynicism or Vila's stealthy survival instincts. He has little or no technical aptitude and finds technical things difficult to learn. To me, that indicated a more simple life before he fell foul of the Federation - a country person rather than a city-dweller. Gan also gave the impression that had Blake not shown up to rescue them, he would have been okay on Cygnus Alpha - religion & all - and perhaps Kara recognised this in him, hence her (ahem) preferential treatment. It was kicking those ideas around that gave rise to the story, although as Gan is a 3/4 blank canvas, all backstories are equally valid and it would be interesting to read other people's ideas.

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

@ Ellen - I find Gan interesting, because we know so little about him,...

There is one glaring (for me) inconsistency in Gan's back story, which has led to some very dark fan fic.

How does Gan kill a Fed soldier (officer?) and live stand trial and be exiled?
Surely his was a case begging for 'shot while resisting arrest.'

Was this a hot blooded slaying where Gan caught the Fed in the act and reacted instantly?
Did Gan track down the offender over time and coldly plan his revenge?
Were there too many witnesses, requiring the Feds to feign playing by the rules as they did with Blake?
Or like Blake, was Gan someone they simply could not make disappear?

littlesue
From Lurena and I;

Fayre Play

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/Fayre%20Play_zpsvfrhjhjz.jpg

Travis raised his arm and rubbed his thumb against his forefinger. The green gem began to glow. This was it. The moment he’d been waiting for. To hell with Servalan’s orders – nothing could stop him now.
It was so inviting.
At last a chance…
…his chance.
To finally rid himself of the pent up anger that had slowly built up deep inside.
To rid himself of Blake and everything that man had stood for.
The consequences of that anger had long been a contentious issue. Not just with him, but with Supreme Commander Servalan.
She knew how he felt about Blake.
She knew that Blake’s very existence was an anathema to him.
But now, he had found a way to circumvent Servalan’s orders and there was nothing she could do about it.
He could feel the weapon gathering its power.
One blast was all it would take.
He had had these chances before, but she had always stopped him.
But now it was different.
He was different.
The retraining he had undergone at Servalan’s instigation had changed his mind-set. The surgery to ‘reset’ him had also altered his appearance, but he was the same man.
At least he thought he was.
He took a last deep breath.
This time, it would be different.
The target was before him; so inviting.
And this time the prize would be his…
He fired.
The target fell.
He smiled a self-satisfied smile.
The smoke cleared.
“Yes, well,” a voice said, “Very nice. It’s a pleasure to find someone with such skill, although there may be a charge for the damage to my stall….now, what would you like? This nice white cuddly bear? Or….”
“Neither,” Travis replied, “Give it to some deserving cause. And as for the damage? Send the bill to Supreme Commander Servalan. She will understand…she always understands.”
The stall holder shrugged.
Nearby was a young boy obviously enthralled by what he had just seen. He was stunned as the stall holder handed the large cuddly toy him.
Space Commander Travis smiled again.
He had been young once.
Perhaps his actions here on this fairground stall would inspire that young boy.
That would make it worthwhile.
Travis took one more last look at the devastated target that had momentarily looked as if his nemesis was standing there.
Blake.
For the moment, his need to exert retribution was sated.
But one day, it wouldn’t be some garish side show on some backward planet; one day, it would be the real thing…
…and Space Commander Travis relished the thought.

Our Solstice story should be up tomorrow.
The original idea was very deep and dark.....and then I returned from my jaunt on the high seas......................................................................................

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.49 seconds
9,790,149 unique visits since 8th January 2014