Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
June Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
Ah, glorious June! Not so glorious here as it's raining, but the summer stretches before us. Sunshine and strawberries and long lazy days. In fact, the longest day approaches...

So the word prompt for this month is ... SOLSTICE.

From the Latin word solstitium, which literally translates to “sun stands still,” the ancients created stone circles to highlight the rising sun on this day. What will you create? Tales of sun-worship and midsummer night's dreams?

And for the scene this month:

Travis raised his arm and rubbed his thumb against his forefinger. The green gem began to glow. This was it. The moment he’d been waiting for. To hell with Servalan’s orders – nothing could stop him now.

Enjoy!

trevor travis
THE DARKEST DAY

Avon stood over Blake’s dead body, in a protective stance.

The Federation Guards surrounded him.

Suddenly, Avon was aware of another presence in the room. He raised his gun and grimaced. It couldn’t be… he was dead. Avon had killed the man himself.

Project Avalon had failed. Totally.

Shortly afterwards, Travis was returned to Earth, relieved of his command by Servalan. Relieved of his opportunity to take revenge and kill Blake. Travis was cold and he shivered, as he walked over the snow-covered ground. It was the shortest day, known as the Winter Solstice. The darkest day; his darkest day.

After a week of moping, he pulled himself together.

He spent the next few months planning and plotting. Not entirely by himself; he hired the services of a Puppeteer. Not the same Puppeteer who had assisted with Project Avalon. Travis had gone back and murdered him.

There was the distraction of that business on Aristo, but finally Travis’s plans were ready. Here was a way to really hurt Blake.

All the mess and dead bodies had been cleared away. Travis was speaking to Avon in his detention cell.

“I should thank you, for killing Blake”, said Travis. “But I’d rather have done it myself. You stole my thunder somewhat. The Puppeteer didn’t foresee that. No matter, it doesn’t affect the rest of my plan.”

Avon stared at the man in front of him. The moment of madness that had seen him gun down Blake had passed. He was again thinking rationally. And there was one question that simply begged to be asked. The question he assumed Travis was waiting for him to pose.

“Travis, I saw you die on Star One. You fell down a nuclear reactor, after being shot twice. You look remarkably well for a corpse.”

Travis smiled. “Avon, you disappointment me. I thought you’d be able to work it out. Didn’t it ever strike you that Travis changed somewhat around the time of the business with IMIPAK? Less of a man. A different man, in fact.”

“Are you claiming it wasn’t you that I shot?”

“Precisely Avon. You killed the actor hired in my place.”

“An identical double-body?”

“No, a perception filter was planted within his chest that simply made him appear like me and sound like me. His personality was quite different – we couldn’t avoid that. Finding someone it would work on was tricky enough, we had to adapt to what we had. His mind was wiped, and replaced with my memories. He really did believe he was Travis.”

“It sounds complicated.”

“It was, but it was necessary. A Space Commander simply can’t disappear from sight. He’d be hunted down. I needed to be out of sight until the time was right.”

“Right for what?”

“You’ll see, Avon, you’ll see.”

The opulence of the palace on the moon was without equal, and the throne room was the most magnificent room of them all. The walls were lined with gold.

A man dressed in a regal black costume entered.

“Ah Avon, come take a seat”, exclaimed Travis, pointing to a diamond-encrusted chair.

“I notice you’ve got him out again”.

“Why of course”, said Travis, “I taunt him at least ten times a day”. He turned to the desk. “Say hello to Avon.”

No answer.

“He’s sulking”, said Avon with half a smile.

“Indeed, yes. Mind you, this is his most dreadful nightmare. His worst enemy as President of the Federation, ruling with even more of an iron fist than Servalan. The whole of humanity under my control, to be tortured and killed as I please. The resistance completely destroyed once and for all. And you Avon as a brilliant Chancellor, who ensures the Federation is more prosperous than ever. What do you say, Blake?”

The brain in the jar on the elaborate mahogany desk still refused to answer.

“Once upon a time, I stood upon the Earth on my darkest day, Blake”, Travis recalled. “How does it feel when every single day is the Winter Solstice?”
Edited by trevor travis on 01 June 2015 11:55:48

purplecleric
Typical - I try to introduce a note of sunshine and cheer, and look what happens!
I should've known better - it is B7...

@ TT - you spotted that I did not specify which Solstice and created a fabulously dark tale befitting the longest night. Oh, I would love to see Avon & Travis1 in cahoots but I think all that black leather might just do me in! Blake's brain in a jar was just the icing on the cake.

JustBrad
purplecleric wrote:

Typical - I try to introduce a note of sunshine and cheer, and look what happens!

It is indeed, B7, which makes The Red Wedding look like a children's tale.

Well done, TT.

JustBrad
Travis raised his arm and rubbed his thumb against his forefinger. The green gem began to glow. This was it. The moment he’d been waiting for. To hell with Servalan’s orders – nothing could stop him now.

The pneumatic door swooshed open. Servalan entered. "What have you got there, Travis?"

Panic crept in. It wasn't the right time, but he'd been caught. There was nothing for it. "Fraternization orders be damned."

Travis dropped to one knee, presenting the green glowing gem, set in a golden ring. "Servalan, will you marry me?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

(How's that for a note os sunshine and cheer?)

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

"You fell down a nuclear reactor, after being shot twice. You look remarkably well for a corpse.”

Lol Grin Grin Grin

Love it TT, the whole story is great and that's a contender for fanfic quote of the month! (now, there's an idea)

Enjoyed the two Dr Who references (that I found, there's probably more) with the nods to The Brain of Morbius and The Sound of Drums; the idea of Avon and Travis working together is an interesting one, and something it would have been good to explore on television in s3 if there had been a way to accomodate it.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Hugbot
@ TT: I really like your usual hilarious stories, but the ones that show a darker edge are a special treat for me (although this one even reminded me of David Lister). A clever story and a great start to the June challenge.

@ Brad: Travis proposing to Servalan? Sad Wink The mind boggles. Loved it!

Hugbot
I Didn’t Start the Fire

Travis raised his arm and rubbed his thumb against his forefinger. The green gem began to glow. This was it. The moment he’d been waiting for. To hell with Servalan’s orders – nothing could stop him now. The pale beam emerged from the laseron destroyer and found its target.

When Servalan entered the room, not only the candles were on fire but the whole tree. Security robots were swarming all over the place in order to prevent the fire from spreading across the whole room. Travis sat on the sofa, watching the scene and looking positively disgruntled.

"Oh, Travis, I told you to wait", Servalan screamed, "why do you have to spoil the winter solstice celebration every year?"

JustBrad

"I've done it at last," Travis sighed. "They all laughed at the academy when I began experimenting in alchemy, but here it is, the Purest Green!"

Great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great
great great great great great great great great great great great great great
great great great great great great great great great great great great great
grandfather on my mother's side Lord Percy Percy would be so proud.

(Somewhat obscure Blackader I reference for the rewatch gang).

trevor travis
purplecleric wrote:

It's not my fault - it's been piddling down with rain all day, so I wasn't feeling very summery Grin

I soon realised the word prompt could be accommodated to write a story I've had in my mind for a while.... one of two reasons I have for explaining the change of Travis's appearance between seasons.

Thanks everyone for their comments.

And Brad / Hugbot, love the short stories. Hugbot, I'm particularly impressed you've wrapped up BOTH challenges in around 100 words. Grin And it looks like I've started something with my story about the Winter Solstice. Oh well Wink
Edited by trevor travis on 01 June 2015 18:08:44

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:(Somewhat obscure Blackader I reference for the rewatch gang).

Cheers Brad, it's Blackadder II, though, not I.

Hugbot
This was inspired by SD’s post #23 on the Volcano thread. Thank you!

Ring Out, Solstice Bells

Lauren hated Christmas.

Her father - her adoptive father, to be precise - loved it. The Federation had abolished all religious cults and thus all genuine festivals, but according to the time-honoured adage of bread and circuses, they had replaced them by their own surrogates. Hal Mellanby was too much of a scientist to be a stout believer, but he preferred classical Christmas to the Federation’s secular solstice celebration, albeit only because it was prohibited.

It could have been a nice family party with just the three of them, Dayna, Hal and Lauren. But every year Mellanby had to invite some of his so-called friends. Lauren had learned to despise them thoroughly.

Dinner was over, and there they sat again, prating about their humanity and their glorious deeds for science and mankind. Hower, the self-styled pacifist, talked with Hal about nothing but weapons. Not to wage war, of course, but only to subdue the beast that lurks inside Man. This wise man loathed force, but it was his heavy burden to use it in order to control his subj... to control the evil dispositions of his subjects and to bring peace to the world.

The peace of a cemetery, maybe.

Hal’s other friend was even more creepier. Why was Dayna so fascinated by him? Lauren had spent her first years among the Sarran tribes and knew what slimeballs like him did to women. But Dayna could not see beneath the suspiciously pristine white of his tunic. She did not even realise that he drank too much and that he tried to persuade her to have a few herself.

Hal did not notice what was going on. He was too absorbed in his ‘pacifist’ chat with Hower. These were the days when Lauren even despised her father a little bit. Wallowing in his exploits in the area of mass destruction! Sombre remembrance of his wife and his friends who had been murdered by the Federation would have been more apt on a night like this!

Lauren got up, asked politely for permisson to retreat and fled from the parlour. She locked the door of her room twice.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Fantastic, Hugbot! Happy to have provided the inspiration for such a good entry; I could really visualise the scene as I read it, and Lauren is one of my favourite s3 guest characters so thank you for using her in a story.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Hugbot
@ Brad: Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
@ TT: It really seems as if you have started a winter solstice trend ... but for my part I am more inclined to blame it on Jethro Tull.

Anniew
Ok wow. Great stories all. Such a treat to read. Very dark stories. Very funny stories. Blake in a jar is crazy and yet so plausible! And Hugbot the Lauren story is fantastic. Made a compelling character even more compelling.

I'm loving this challenge because I had started and stalled on a story which involves Avon and Blake on a planet with a Stone Age population ( inspired by watching time team, BBC 4 and Ancient Britain.) the climax was to involve a solstice ritual. This gives me a chance to write a bit of it and then fill in the gaps later!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Ellen York
Hugbot, "Ring out Solstice Bells" is wonderful. Hal had some seriously creepy friends. Apparently Lauren was the sensible one in that family.

I've been pondering on summer solstice all day; didn't think about the winter solstice. Hopefully inspiration will strike.

Hugbot
Colours of Summer

People in gaudy costumes
Celebrating the summer solstice
In June
By the Hudson river

Wink

Anniew
Hugbot..that's so clever!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
Lovely story, Hugbot.

Travisina
June is only two days old, and already there's a whole collection of fab stories, dark and light, humorous and pun-tastic. Wonderful stuff.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,812,777 unique visits since 8th January 2014